• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash vs. Other Fighting Games

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Hi, I'm working on a fighting game at the moment and I was just wondering, what makes you prefer smash over traditional fighting games like Soul Calibur, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc...

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
mostly it's uniqueness... what? how many other fighting games do you have fast paced fighting like some of these matches go, a simple 2D on 3D playing field and people flying off in every direction exploding outside the screen?

GreenFox

Smash Ace
It's the characters for me and the simple yet hard to master most traditional fighters its really hard to even start playing one

n88

Smash Lord
A) All-Star Cast
B) Longer Matches
C) Simple Controls
D) More Players
E) Falcon PAAAAAWWWWWWNNCH!

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
So if I were to alter my traditional-fighting style game, it should be:
-Fast-paced
-Good, unique characters
-Simplicity
-Longer matches
-More players

m'right?
Is there anyway I could make it more fast-paced without adding too much of the aerial-based damage system Smash has?

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
I think its the versatility of smash.
Think of it like this, in smash, you have so many options. In street fighter you more than likely would throw out a hadouken or something and your options are limited. I also think the competitive slope of it is what really attracts people, the more distance between pros and noobs, the better.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Well, for instance, try a different way instead of a HP bar. Like Smash has a Percent gauge and all that. Maybe you can think of a way that makes your fighting game unique.

BlackLightning90

Smash Journeyman
It's a 4-player, action-pack, incredibly, fast paced, many charcaters, many stages, unique, special, awesome, radical, more competively, button mashing, no HP, nice, hyperactive, controllable, agressively, memorable, nintendo game.

That's why I choose smash more than any other fighting game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So if I were to alter my traditional-fighting style game, it should be:
-Fast-paced
-Good, unique characters
-Simplicity
-Longer matches
-More players

m'right?
Is there anyway I could make it more fast-paced without adding too much of the aerial-based damage system Smash has?
Which is Tatsunoko vs Capcom despite the lots of characters part. Of course, it is harder to learn.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My character can actually ****ing move around the screen in a way that feels responsive to controls.

Oh, and there is no life bar. Screw life bars. The Percent/Stage knock outs offer way more depth as a game mechanic.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy being able to pick up a game and not have to worry about miss-entering a 6 button string for an attack that would have otherwise won me a match.

I enjoy being able to go as far left as I want without having to stop for anything short of death.

I enjoy not having to study every move a character has in order to play them

Also, Luigi. And Pokemon. And the Knee. But mostly Luigi.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I don't prefer Smash over other fighters. I just happened to get involved with competitive Smash first, since it's the series I pretty much grew up on. I plan to switch my competitive focus to Street Fighter (and maybe Tekken). I believe that Smash is inferior to these games, but I will still attend Smash tournaments because the community is great.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played a lot of any other fighting games besides Smash, but it's the fast pace and off-stage game that I love that I haven't been able to experience in any other game.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Okay, so here is what I have so far, the things that make smash great, and what I'll put in my game to match them:
-Fast-paced - Fast characters, low emphasis on prediction and blocking, interesting ATs
-Good, unique characters - Pretty basic...
-Simplicity - Basic moves, but depth withing the moves themselves.
-Longer matches - ?
-More players - Pretty basic...
-No Health Bar - ?
-More Free Movement - No strafing, fast 360 degree movement.
-Learning Curve - Lots of ATs and emphasis on spacing.
-No Huge Combos - Once again, emphasis on spacing.

I was thinking, to make the game less about remembering a sequence of buttons, I'd have stats interchangeable in the middle of the game (Through some kind of charging or whatever) and make attacks have different effect depending on where they hit (I'm talking a different knockback for each pixel). I have hated in games like Soul Calibur how you are restricted to always facing your opponent and just sidestepping around them, I want to give this game 360 movement, but no limits like in Smash. I was going to have the core moves pretty basic, but add lots of strategy to when and where they hit.

No idea for a health bar alternative or a way to have long but interesting matches though.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so here is what I have so far, the things that make smash great, and what I'll put in my game to match them:
-Fast-paced - Fast characters, low emphasis on prediction and blocking, interesting ATs
-Longer matches - ?
-No Health Bar - ?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Dude. High-Level Smash is ALL about predicting.

IMHO, I only enter Smash tourneys because I suck at other games. Plus, the community is great.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Dude. High-Level Smash is ALL about predicting.

IMHO, I only enter Smash tourneys because I suck at other games. Plus, the community is great.
By that, I mean less standoffs where the two players are just thinkinh "Okay, he will be expecting me to do this, so If I do this followed by this, then he will probably respond with this and..."

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
By that, I mean less standoffs where the two players are just thinkinh "Okay, he will be expecting me to do this, so If I do this followed by this, then he will probably respond with this and..."
That's called looking for an opening, and it's in all 3 of the smash games. In 64 it's careful spacing that looks a lot like soul calibur. In melee, it's dash dancing in and out of range, waiting for your opponent to screw up and take advantage of that opening. It's even in brawl, too. Especially since for a lot of characters in Brawl, if your attack hits a shield you're punished.

Trying to get inside your opponent's head is at the core of most, if not all competitive 1v1 games.

edit: But in some games like BB, a lot of characters have block strings and the like, which is just another form of looking for/creating an opening.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That's called looking for an opening, and it's in all 3 of the smash games. In 64 it's careful spacing that looks a lot like soul calibur. In melee, it's dash dancing in and out of range, waiting for your opponent to screw up and take advantage of that opening. It's even in brawl, too. Especially since for a lot of characters in Brawl, if your attack hits a shield you're punished.

Trying to get inside your opponent's head is at the core of most, if not all competitive 1v1 games.

edit: But in some games like BB, a lot of characters have block strings and the like, which is just another form of looking for/creating an opening.
Please re-read my last post.
You don't have to look for a certain bit, just read all of it.
I was talking about LONG STAND-OFFS, not simple 1-second prediction. I see the former in many fighting games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
1. The characters
- If it were not for the characters, and this had been Ryu-Oh, I probably wouldn't have much interest in the series.

2. The controls

3. Longer matches

4. Freedom of movement.

I enjoy being able to pick up a game and not have to worry about miss-entering a 6 button string for an attack that would have otherwise won me a match.

I enjoy being able to go as far left as I want without having to stop for anything short of death.

I enjoy not having to study every move a character has in order to play them

Also, Luigi. And Pokemon. And the Knee. But mostly Luigi.
1. It's not like all fighting games are like this. A number of them like Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, and Street Fighter use mostly quick controller motions and one to three buttons depending on the move (most only require one). If anything, the 6 button string thing is a small combo string that mostly consists of normal moves.

2.Without having to stop for anything? Are you talking about how far other fighters let you move back? Smash has this, but in a different form.

3. On the surface, no. However, there's the time you have to take when it comes to combos and applications.

4. YESH!

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Okay I've added something new to the list:
-Longer matches - ?
-No Health Bar - ?
-Interesting Stages - Each stage will have different things you can interact with, or destroy.

Still need an alternative to the Health Bar and a way to have longer matches though.

Octane

Smash Rookie
-Characters.
-Stages that offer way more than being just backgrounds.
-Top-notch controls that even a first time player can figure out.
-Captain Falcon and Ganondorf.
-No life bar.
-Alternating gameplay. (percentage, stale moves)
-AT's.
-Remixed classic Nintendo music.
-Moments. (Pauwnches, knees, edgeguards)
-Ability to play with up to 3 other people in the same match.
-Team matches.
-Taunts.
-Items.
-Always colorful graphics.

Top Bottom