• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
What does the online service have to do with smash DLC? Besides that you seem to have a bias against smash ultimate itself, i don't know who hurt you but you need to chill.
I’m not biased against the game. Most of what I’ve said today is just brought on by my immediate reaction to the new Sakurai column.

Untouch

Smash Master
This week is the first time the blog didn't open with a character, and is the first week a music post and a stage/item weren't posted on the same day.
There are no patterns with the blog.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
This week is the first time the blog didn't open with a character, and is the first week a music post and a stage/item weren't posted on the same day.
There are no patterns with the blog.
The Japanese twitter posted Brinstar, so we should get that soon.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
It’s Ken and Incineroar. That’s it. The SE rep and ****ing Steve from ****ing Minecraft are not only DLC, but I’m gonna make a bold prediction that they’ll be the only DLC.
Me thinks someone mayhaps is upset about Steve possibly being in smash?

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
>

Nintendo are going to milk the **** out of Smash Ultimate especially with how they seems to have larger plan for it competitively
I agree.

I honestly think that we are getting two new base characters and 3 echoes before release. Then a couple of more characters for DLC. I think they are going to save some big/hype characters for DLC.

I think Smash Ultimate will be around at least 5-6 years before any new smash game announcement this time around, and they definitely need to get better with keeping the game alive with not only characters but costumes, stages, items heck even modes. Nintendo really sucks at this compared to Sony and even Microsoft.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Steve is a rather lackluster inclusion, especially to those of us who were looking forward to actual Nintendo properties making it in like Skull Kid and Isaac.
Pfftt... Are you telling me Steve doesn't have as much move set potential as Skull kid and Isaac?
I honestly think the Opposite.
I really don't get the hype for Skull Kid imo

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Like I suggested before, I wouldn't be surprised that sakurai left out a lot of assist trophies like shadow and skull kid for the potential of adding them as DLC. They don't want to lock out potential characters they know people will buy.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Smash hype is not fun anymore.
I do not enjoy the speculation anymore as all it has lead to is me getting less hyped for the game rather than more hyped. This latest statement from Sakurai has intensified that feeling.
It’s too late to get off the hype train now, though.
At this point I’d be happy if Ultimate got cancelled, since at least then I wouldn’t need to worry about it anymore.
The box theory is right, and Sakurai has abandoned us. Sorry, guys.
I guarantee most of you saying you won’t be disappointed are all gonna turn around and say how disappointed you are when Ultimate comes out.
And what will happen when DLC is inevitably disappointing as well? Hm?
Even that’s optimistic.
I’m going all in on this game barely being supported at all after release. Yeah, it’d be stupid not to milk DLC for all it’s worth, but Nintendo’s a stupid company.
"I don't have a bias AGAINST smash ultimate i just hate everything about smash ultimate"

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Steve is a rather lackluster inclusion, especially to those of us who were looking forward to actual Nintendo properties making it in like Skull Kid and Isaac.
Well Minecraft is one of the most popular video games out there, Sakurai does like putting in gaming characters with a huge name out there, ie Pac-Man, Sonic, Megaman etc. It makes total sense to put a Minecraft character in, all memes aside.
Other than that, I don’t think we’re only getting 2-4 characters for dlc and I think it’s way more likely we’ll see more DLC this time than last game.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
"I don't have a bias AGAINST smash ultimate i just hate everything about smash ultimate"
See, here’s the thing. You wanna know the reason why I’m going ultra pessimistic in terms of Ultimate hype now? Because if I’m wrong, hooray, everyone’s happy. If I’m right, I get to laugh at everyone and myself for even entertaining the thought that there’d be anything more.
I don’t want to pretend to hate Smash Ultimate, but I have to. I have no choice.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
See, here’s the thing. You wanna know the reason why I’m going ultra pessimistic in terms of Ultimate hype now? Because if I’m wrong, hooray, everyone’s happy. If I’m right, I get to laugh at everyone and myself for even entertaining the thought that there’d be anything more.
I don’t want to pretend to hate Smash Ultimate, but I have to. I have no choice.
You’ve already got so much in this game, what’s the issue if there really is only 2 more? We’ve got a humongous roster this time around, we got long time asked for characters like Veterans, Ridley, K Rool, etc. and it’s very likely we’ll get more in DLC. 100 stages, 900 hours of music, heck if this game dropped today I’d still be happy with what we got.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Eh still close enough to my ideal prediction in that case.

Minecon: Final Smash Direct revealed
October: Triple reveal of Incineroar (69), Steve(70) and Ken(60e)
November: Final Smash Direct revealing Elma(71), Geno(72), Dixie Kong(36e), Shadow(38e) and Medusa(54e) as the final characters

or

Minecon: Final Smash Direct revealed
October: Lucina/Robin style reveal with Incineroar(69) and Ken(60e)
November: Final Smash Direct revealing Steve(70), Elma(71), Geno(72), Dixie Kong(36e), Shadow(38e) and Medusa(54e) as the final characters
I like both of these ideas as they both seem plausible, but that may just be me wanting to see all of these characters make it in.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
You’ve already got so much in this game, what’s the issue if there really is only 2 more? We’ve got a humongous roster this time around, we got long time asked for characters like Veterans, Ridley, K Rool, etc. and it’s very likely we’ll get more in DLC. 100 stages, 900 hours of music, heck if this game dropped today I’d still be happy with what we got.
There is none. I AM perfectly happy with what we have. But at the same time, I’m disappointed that we might not be getting much more. Is that really such an outrageous thing to believe?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
"Fans disappointed that Smash Ultimate has only 76 characters at launch: 'Might as well cancel it'."

Good Lord is this The Onion?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
The choice you are making is very mind-boggling. If you are content with what we have, why lower yourself to be set up for disappointment? 70+ characters with every veteran in Smash making a return with characters like Ridley, Chrom, K Rool and Simon here. Newcomers at this point would be icing on an already humongous cake.

Setting yourself up for disappointment due to lower newcomers then expected, despite Sakurai saying that at E3, is just for lack of a better word, dumb. We are still getting more newcomers before the game comes out. Just lower your expectations to reasonable levels, not to be disappointed already without knowing who the newcomers are (well except Ken).

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
See, there’s another optimistic prediction.
Even that’s optimistic.
I’m going all in on this game barely being supported at all after release. Yeah, it’d be stupid not to milk DLC for all it’s worth, but Nintendo’s a stupid company.
Considering every other decision Nintendo has made regarding the Switch’s online, yes I do consider that a realistic conclusion.
Nintendo stupid?

I see someone has not paid attention since the switch was announced. I could like so many videos like Arlos that explain how Nintendo has been listening to fans non stop since the switch started.

One recent example, we have what looks like a back to the basic Luigi’s mansion, something heavily requested.

In terms of smash ****ing Ridley and K. Rool are playable after years of people literally crying for them.

Are you going to sit here and really say Nintendo is dumb? They know exactly what they are doing.

If you don’t think their game that is literally the only thing supporting this half of the year, won’t have dlc then your just delusional.

They made so much bank off of DLC last game. Hell im willingly to bet that’s why there’s another square character coming, they realized how much money can be made.

Smash 4 has 8 DLC characters over like what, two years? It’s pretty reasonable to assume around 10 is likely. With so many ballot omissions not playable the money they’ll milk is undeniable. Nintendo is not going to just let that money walk away.

Sakurai has learned by how he literally can’t escape smash, it’s to much of a money maker. The poor man literally started ultimate during smash 4s dlc. Why? Because Nintendo knew it would make money and that the ballot was one of the smartest choices they made.

They weren’t underselling the fact that their goal is 20 million switch units this year. They know that with fan requested choices and dlc we will eat up every character thrown at us and grow money at the screen for them.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
7 DLC fighters in 4, but yeah. Nintendo has sworn up and down in investor briefings how Smash DLC is the future.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
The're also this on balancing.

So Daisy, Richter, Chrom and Dark Samus were probably also balanced similarly to Lucina and Dark Pit. Dr. Mario may not have been considered an echo because he's being balanced against the entire roster.
This is what ive been saying since day one (or maybe just since richter was revealed) regarding echoes (specially regarding dark smaus) although still work, visual differences were all great, but gameplay differences were meant to keep to a minium (and why echoes are NOTHING like Melee clones)... Thats why I also think that Shadow could work very well...

Frankly, I'm only expecting like 10 characters for DLC.
I personally think there will only be like four DLC characters this time but I think they'll be choices that will make people fill their pants with such sudden force that they'll launch themselves from their swivel chairs and into outer space. I'm still in the Banjo boat that he'll be one them.
I honestly also expecting a number like 4, sadly. (at least on a first "season" or "cycle") I do wonder if they would do echoes DLC to bloat that number? I can see them both, doing echo Dlc to fill gaps, or skipping the idea of Echoes DLC entirely.

3 characters in the base game maximum. However, I don't necessarily buy that Ken and Incineroar are part of it cause I'm not on the Verg train...
I still suspect that while the box theory is true, there is a small chance we may get one last surprise character... but hardly have any proof to back that up. and you are free to still doubt Incineroar...

but Ken? he is in. 100% even if the image leak wasnt taken into consideration. Is not because one credible source said "ken is in"... is because all the evidence with some weight we have, even official released evidence, fits with Ken being in. Add the fact that he was already leaked and.... dude, Ken is in XD.

Last edited:

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Pfftt... Are you telling me Steve doesn't have as much move set potential as Skull kid and Isaac?
I honestly think the Opposite.
I really don't get the hype for Skull Kid imo
It's not because of the moveset. It's the hype revolving around the character. Skull Kid is an interesting choice for a lot of people because he's a.) a villain, and b.) from a franchise that hasn't had an actual newcomer since Melee (Toon Link is just another Link).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nintendo stupid?

I see someone has not paid attention since the switch was announced. I could like so many videos like Arlos that explain how Nintendo has been listening to fans non stop since the switch started.

One recent example, we have what looks like a back to the basic Luigi’s mansion, something heavily requested.

In terms of smash ****ing Ridley and K. Rool are playable after years of people literally crying for them.

Are you going to sit here and really say Nintendo is dumb? They know exactly what they are doing.

If you don’t think their game that is literally the only thing supporting this half of the year, won’t have dlc then your just delusional.

They made so much bank off of DLC last game. Hell im willingly to bet that’s why there’s another square character coming, they realized how much money can be made.

Smash 4 has 8 DLC characters over like what, two years? It’s pretty reasonable to assume around 10 is likely. With so many ballot omissions not playable the money they’ll milk is undeniable. Nintendo is not going to just let that money walk away.

Sakurai has learned by how he literally can’t escape smash, it’s to much of a money maker. The poor man literally started ultimate during smash 4s dlc. Why? Because Nintendo knew it would make money and that the ballot was one of the smartest choices they made.

They weren’t underselling the fact that their goal is 20 million switch units this year. They know that with fan requested choices and dlc we will eat up every character thrown at us and grow money at the screen for them.
Smash 4 only had 7 DLC characters.

Not that it really effects your points.

iruchii

Smash Apprentice
This week is the first time the blog didn't open with a character
That's probably just because this Monday was the Autumnal Equinox holiday in Japan, and it's common practice to watch the full moon in that night. Guess what was the blog post on that day? Yup, Majora's Moon assist trophy. So I would say it's more likely they made an exception than breaking the blog pattern.

(If next week's Monday post isn't a Fighter then I'll take responsibility!)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It's not because of the moveset. It's the hype revolving around the character. Skull Kid is an interesting choice for a lot of people because he's a.) a villain, and b.) from a franchise that hasn't had an actual newcomer since Melee (Toon Link is just another Link).
Who cares about the hype?
Shulk was the last charcter revealed for smash 4 before release. you call that hype?
And Skull Kid is just a one off character. I'd be okay with recurring Zelda characters like Tingle or Impa as potential fighters... I just don't know how I'd feel with a one off character like Skull Kid taking a slot over more overdue characters like Isaac or an RH rep.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm just glad at least some people are sobering up; the next two months was looking hysterical, and not in the funny way.

Can we at least get back to the time-honored tradition of laughing at people requesting random non-Nintendo characters, like Shrek, GranBlue girl, and Minecraft guy?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Who cares about the hype?
Shulk was the last charcter revealed for smash 4 before release you call that hype?
And Skull Kid is just a one off character. I'd be okay with recurring Zelda characters like Tingle or Impa as potential fighters... I just don't know how I'd feel with a one off character like Skull Kid taking a slot over more overdue characters like Isaac or an RH rep.
I thought Shulk was pretty hype. Especially for being the first reveal of a Japan only 3DS direct.
And the Skull Kid is in OoT and MM and at least minorly implied to be the one in TP. Still not many appearances but more than one off.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm just glad at least some people are sobering up; the next two months was looking hysterical, and not in the funny way.

Can we at least get back to the time-honored tradition of laughing at people requesting random non-Nintendo characters, like Shrek, GranBlue girl, and Minecraft guy?
Boy do I have a story for you....

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace

You forgot goku.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I thought Shulk was pretty hype. Especially for being the first reveal of a Japan only 3DS direct.
And the Skull Kid is in OoT and MM and at least minorly implied to be the one in TP. Still not many appearances but more than one off.
I guess... But he only wears the Majora (The mask is what makes him iconic, not just being Skull Kid) in MM... So I kinda count him as a one off character in that regard...
IDK, Skull Kid would be pretty lackluster for me...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
You forgot goku.
Actually if you think about it Goku could be a pretty good fit and there's a long history of DBZ games on Nintendo platforms. It'd be pretty easy to imagine a moveset and he's one of the most iconic and requested characters of fedgjxzuicsshahahahahahaha.

Yeah, couldn't keep it going.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Actually if you think about it Goku could be a pretty good fit and there's a long history of DBZ games on Nintendo platforms. It'd be pretty easy to imagine a moveset and he's one of the most iconic and requested characters of fedgjxzuicsshahahahahahaha.

Yeah, couldn't keep it going.
The excitement of realising he's in got to you.

D

Deleted member

I did find it weird the Direct had two unique newcomers alongside 3 Echoes. Back then I thought it meant we had many more still to come, esecially considering the original Smash Direct only had Greninja(and 4 vets but it's not the same). Probably what Sakurai meant about being "trigger-happy".

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Adjusting my predictions to sakurais latest statement:

Going by leaks I still stand by the ken and Incenroar like everyone else. I also going to still bet Geno is in the base game.

However I’d betting steve and Sora are dlc. With Sora maybe being day 1. Why verge has stated we are getting both square reps, it would make a lot of sense for them to make Sora dlc as he would print more money then Geno which is why Geno would be base game. Geno is hype enough, but Sora would literally bring banks to sakurais house.

Steve is also another obvious choice. He appears to the younger audience but also a lot of older people. But I think on the ballot a bunch of like middle school kids who don’t use forums threw their vote in for Steve as he’s super iconic to that demographic and pretty much every child knows Steve.

And with Minecraft content on he base game, a promotional character wouldn’t be put there.

I’m still predicting we end this hype cycle on chorus kids for the final newcomer as they most likely had a lot of data for 4 that was just used here making them an easy last minute addition and continuing the trend of ending on a new franchise.

After them I think we definitely get DLC announced and teased next smash direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom