• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
You know, I miss @PushDustIn being around, it would be really nice to hear what rumors and supposed leaks have been floating around the Japanese Smash/Nintendo community. There are far more Japanese people working on this game than people from anywhere else in the world, so it would stand to reason that the most leaks, as well as possibly the biggest leaks, would come out of Japan. Now, I do believe that somebody with knowledge of Japanese culture once said that leaking isn't as prominent in Japan due to cultural differences, but still, it's hard for me to believe that there wouldn't at least be a little talk of what insiders and those who claim to know such people are saying about what's coming in Ultimate when it's so rampant in the Americas and Europe. I don't suppose anyone here reads enough Japanese to have any clue what the biggest leaks from over there are, do you? Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom do you happen to have any idea? You're the General Discussion thread's resident expert on Japan, after all.
I went through 2ch's (well 5ch's actually) video game hardware forum during the direct delay to see if they just happened to know anything we didn't, long story short, they didn't, actually, most of their info came from american/european sites

I even saw them talking about how Nintendo Life leaked the new direct date and how many agreed that NL was a reputable source and they could trust it on that

Well, one interesting thing I saw is that they were pretty sure early on that Famitsu wouldn't leak anything related to the direct, apparently Nintendo doesn't really trust Famitsu after a few hiccups and so on

But yeah, most leaks you'll find on the Japanese community, come from stores which get access to magazines early and upload pics (like what happened with the coro coro stages things)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Nintendo Directs are not Smash Directs with multiple characters to reveal, and if you want to argue this being some sort of "pattern", all it shows is a newcomer being revealed at the end, which definitively precludes a newcomer from being revealed in the middle of a Smash Direct how?
Who cares if it's a Nintendo Direct or a Smash Direct or not? My point is all unique newcomers with a reveal trailer have been shown at the end or beginning of something.

And it precludes a UNIQUE newcomer with their own trailer from being shown in the middle because of how all these trailers are set up. These trailers have a slow build up to them. It would throw off the pacing of any sort of presentation (Nintendo Direct or Smash Direct) to have a trailer like King K. Rool's reveal right in the middle of it. It would be sloppy and no one would be able to focus on anything else being said in the rest of the presentation.

The Simon/Richter trailer worked as an opening hook for the presentation because it showcased a lot of new stuff that Sakurai proceeded to explain, and then easily segue into discussion on echo fighters which slowly brought the pacing down to a more reasonable speed.

In fact all the information that has been presented for Ultimate was done in such a genius way I would be shocked if he was to do something so sloppy as to have a big reveal trailer right in the middle of any presentation.

These reveal trailers are giant hype bombs and they need to be exploded carefully and tactfully.

Disagree with me if you want but everything I've seen so far for Ultimate reveals has convinced me he is well aware of how big a deal it is to reveal a new unique fighter and will tactfully reveal these fighters. As he has shown to have done this time around.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You know, I miss @PushDustIn being around, it would be really nice to hear what rumors and supposed leaks have been floating around the Japanese Smash/Nintendo community. There are far more Japanese people working on this game than people from anywhere else in the world, so it would stand to reason that the most leaks, as well as possibly the biggest leaks, would come out of Japan. Now, I do believe that somebody with knowledge of Japanese culture once said that leaking isn't as prominent in Japan due to cultural differences, but still, it's hard for me to believe that there wouldn't at least be a little talk of what insiders and those who claim to know such people are saying about what's coming in Ultimate when it's so rampant in the Americas and Europe. I don't suppose anyone here reads enough Japanese to have any clue what the biggest leaks from over there are, do you? Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom do you happen to have any idea? You're the General Discussion thread's resident expert on Japan, after all.
I haven’t really explored much in terms of leaks in Japan but I will try later tonight if I have time. But then again I don’t really go looking for English leaks either. I tend to stay off the grid outside of Smashboards so I’m not as visible as someone like Pushdustin and hes the one that knows more about that stuff than I do. But I can give it a look into it once my daughter goes to bed.

The only notable Japanese leak I recall (being in japanese that is) was the one that mentioned characters like Heihachi, Lloyd, Prince Sable, and I think Black Shadow.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If that's the case, the question then becomes: why make the distinction of "Mute City SNES" if Mute City Melee won't be in the game? Why toss the idea of one more retro stage in the form of Mute City Melee returning away, in spite of evidence of other stages being renamed supporting the idea of Muty Melee returning?

:thinking:
There's going to be a new Mute City stage obviously.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sorry to double post but she went down for a late afternoon nap. Did anyone discuss or bring these up?

When ever I search for スマブラスペシャルリーク, I get basically what we have been getting in terms of leaks. Though my searches tend to bring up the usual characters - Banjo, Geno, Shadow, etc.

I’ll do some more searching but my wife has given me the very important task of fixing the weed whacker to trim our yard while the daughter slumbers.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Sorry to double post but she went down for a late afternoon nap. Did anyone discuss or bring these up?

When ever I search for スマブラスペシャルリーク, I get basically what we have been getting in terms of leaks. Though my searches tend to bring up the usual characters - Banjo, Geno, Shadow, etc.

I’ll do some more searching but my wife has given me the very important task of fixing the weed whacker to trim our yard while the daughter slumbers.
Besides being a potato camera image, Rex is most likely fake because the shadow is a mess and he is using Mythra's Sword but the icon near him shows Pyra.

EDIT: Rex is also way bigger than he should be, since he is a smol boi
XC2_Elma_2.jpg

Last edited:

Chrono.

Both of these are pretty old.

Dee looks okay enough but Rex... Jesus, Rex. What did they do to you, I can barely tell what going on with model, much less his sword.

What's worse is that I can tell this is the same Rex model that's been available for a while online.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Besides being a potato camera image, Rex is most likely fake because the shadow is a mess and he is using Mythra's Sword but the icon near him shows Pyra.

EDIT: Rex is also way bigger than he should be, since he is a smol boi
View attachment 166415
Tbf, that second point is kinda moot considering that Toon and Young Link are about as tall as adult Link.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Very true but it also shows that Bandana Dee and Rex are noteworthy to appear on a japanese Smash site.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Tbf, that second point is kinda moot considering that Toon and Young Link are about as tall as adult Link.
They are still smaller
8cfdf6879e3a6003d58a7994bfcce2b5a3da3792r1-1200-675v2_hq.jpg
So they would keep the difference in height. But in that picture, if we consider how big Rex is compared to the Villager and that he is bending his legs for the attack, he is considerably taller than Shulk
maxresdefault (1).jpg

Very true but it also shows that Bandana Dee and Rex are noteworthy to appear on a japanese Smash site.
Oh absolutely, Bandana Dee and Kirby in general is very popular in Japan, as proved by SourceGaming's Ballot poll, and Rex has also risen in popularity.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
So according to the 4chan leaker....Verg confirmed that...

Newcomers:
  • Incineroar
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Geno
  • Elma
  • Steve
Echo:
  • Ken
  • Shadow
  • Dixie
  • Medusa
So these characters??

Banjo and Steve both in Smash in which were both owned Microsoft is a bit of a stretch imo.
This would make the fan base explode with excitement beyond the stratosphere. I would be too happy with this result but I'm still gonna remain sceptical until the end which will be soon thankfully.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have moved the "leak" post here. However, for now, since it's just another random person, the post will not be visible.

Do not reply to leak posts. Just report them and let the moderation handle it.

If a leaker is real, they can PM the moderation and discuss it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Doesn't seem like I missed any leaks since I went to sleep? Man, and we're at 68. Also Verge has made it clear that he never posts on 4chan, so while I like that leak, it's not real.

Out of curiosity, why is nobody speculating about the 5 remaining stages Corocoro dropped?

Do people actually think that was a typo? But everyone takes Vergeben’s word as gospel? We believe some anonymous German guy with “insider info” and discuss him incessantly but not a Japanese publication with proven professional ties to Nintendo? The amount of editing passes that magazine has to go through before revealing something like 108 stages tells me it can’t possibly be a typo. So based on that I still think we have some unrevealed franchises, because otherwise why hide the stages?
I think there should be more speculation about it because it's been a whole week without a correction, so those saying it'll be corrected soon are probably wrong. I really don't believe they can just leave it if it was a mistake and there are only 103 stages--that verges on false advertising. If it was a mistake, but true, I'd expect them to be silent.

My guess:
104. Sun and Moon stage (if any returning series gets a new stage, it'll be Pokemon)
105. Golden Sun stage (if Isaac is playable)
106. Banjo-Kazooie stage (if B&K are playable, and if there's Microsoft content, they're likely)
107. Monster Hunter stage (no playable character, Rathalos assist)
108. Minecraft stage (no playable character, Creeper assist)

I don't think any more returning stages will return. I think the renaming of Mute City was done across all stages, regardless of if they were going to be in the base game, for future proofing. I would assume they would show off all returning stages before ending on Fountain of Dreams. A new Pokefloats, while unlikely, is still possible though. I also think Geno could be in the base roster, though I think they would treat him as a Mario character and not need a new stage--especially if he's the final character reveal.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Why do so many fake leaks include Touhou Project characters? Is that series way more popular and successful than I've ever realized, or is it indicative that either the same person made all of them or that it has a small, quite dedicated fanbase that loves making fake leaks claiming that a TP character will be in Smash?

D

Deleted member

"Castlevania got a lot of love but what if we multiplied that by 10????"
There's no ****ing way a 3rd Party would ever get their own Pokeball item, 3 ****ing stages and OVER 100 TRACKS.
Also, classic "describe everything that happens in the Direct"
Also also, these moveset concepts sound so ****ing bad, Steve's is a convoluted mess and Reimu's is a "look how faithful to the games it is guys!"

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I can see two Microsoft stages (Minecraft, B&K), but that's very optimistic. No way Minecraft would get two stages. Also, it feels so anti-climatic to go from the Ken leak to these ****ty 4chan text posts again. :facepalm:

Shroob

Sup?
Why do so many fake leaks include Touhou Project characters? Is that series way more popular and successful than I've ever realized, or is it indicative that either the same person made all of them or that it has a small, quite dedicated fanbase that loves making fake leaks claiming that a TP character will be in Smash?
I mean, Touhou is arguably the BIGGEST Indie game series to ever come out of Japan, especially since they're all done by one guy.

The fact that they have their own game/music/manga/anime festival yearly is a testament to how big it still is after like, 20 years now?

iruchii

Smash Apprentice
It's used to be the biggest indie franchise before Minecraft took its crown. It was absolutely massive in Japan, having a "Minecon" of its own (Reitaisai) and being a bastion of Internet culture. Its popularity has faded in the last few years, but from around 2004 up to 2015 Touhou was the biggest and most important indie franchise in Japan spawning more fanworks than any other series ever.

I'm not arguing if it should be in Smash or not, but if one of Sakurai's criteria is importance and relevance to the gaming world, I would say it very much should.

Shroob

Sup?
Also Touhou music is absolutely godlike and if we ever did get it in Smash, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be interested in seeing what Sakurai's team could do with it.

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
The series is so huge that in Soundvoltex (a music game made by konami) the music of the series got its own "category folder" with over 100 original tracks / remixes. It is said that the inclusion of Touhou Remixes (which where not present in Soundvoltex 1 but only got added during Soundvoltex 2) saved the game from beeing a flop.

So yeah....Touhou was and still is big at least in japan.
Also concider how many Touhou Games we got on the Switch (still hoping for some Ports of the PC games instead of only getting the spinoff titles).

Shroob

Sup?
Like:

Do I think Touhou has any chance of all in Smash? Absolutely not.

But if Sakurai would go for an "Indie" rep specifically and passed over Steve?

Forget Shovel Knight, Shantae or even Quote. Reimu would be the heavy hitter.

Besides Minecraft, no other Indie series can say they hold their own goddamn festival yearly.

Last edited:

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
For me, any I know this is personal hope/bias, but I can’t see Steve without an agreement on Banjo down the pipeline either in the base game or as DLC. I know my poll collection on the ballot isn’t 100% accurate but among the gaming communities, Banjo is a wanted fighter. Banjo gives no benefit back to Microsoft with how dead they keep the franchise but they know he is wanted with Phil even saying something. A package deal with Steve/Minecraft would give Microsoft the benefit they need.

Now I don’t believe Minecon will show any fighter before another direct. Maybe a direct happens this week with a head ups for something this weekend. Unless Nintendo begins hyping Minecon, there should be no expectations of Smash anywhere that isn’t fully Nintendo controlled. The closest we have ever come is the Japan only direct where Shulk was revealed where is was like 4am on the west coast so they weren’t attempting for a worldwide reveal.

xzx

Smash Lord
There was a guy stating that he would "upload a video soon" of Smash Ultimate gameplay. What was his excuse this time?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, see if Nintendo or Sakurai or anyone tweets about Minecon closer to the date

Untouch

Smash Master
Do we even know if Nintendo is going to be at Minecon, it's in less than a week so I think they would have announced it by now.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Do we even know if Nintendo is going to be at Minecon, it's in less than a week so I think they would have announced it by now.
I highly doubt they'd announce Smash news there, if they weren't going to show the Direct at EVO. All I could see is an announcement there for a Direct that would have Minecraft/Microsoft content in it--but that would spoil the surprise. So I give it very little chance, even with Minecraft content in the game.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm 50/50 on it. One side of me says probably not, Nintendo doesn't usually announce Smash Related stuff outside of their Nintendo Directs.
But the other side of me says, that it's a very Sakurai thing to do it and throw people off guard...
So I don't really know at this point...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait, what’s this about a Black Shadow CSS leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom