• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
The only reason I think there will be info in October is the bundle releasing November 2nd.

The box of that bundle would have information about the game, information they would probably rather reveal in a Direct, like Spirits mode.

Edit: Because if Spirits mode is something major, of course they would want to advertise it on the box, right?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've talked about this a little bit but there's very little crossover between the Smash and Street Fighter fanbases to the point where the two kind of resent each other, largely because of the huge differences in their competitive communities. This is why Ken being the only remaining echo and that they would try to attach a lot of fanfare to him doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, again, he's a big gaming icon but who would he be for? Even Ryu in SSB4 didn't get a lot of Street Fighter fans to say "Oh my God, I HAVE to get this game now!" He's kind of an addition for the sake of being an addition. It's kind of like "welp, here's Ken" to a predominantly quiet room aside from someone stifling a cough in the back.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I've talked about this a little bit but there's very little crossover between the Smash and Street Fighter fanbases to the point where the two kind of resent each other, largely because of the huge differences in their competitive communities. This is why Ken being the only remaining echo doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, again, he's a big gaming icon but who would he be for? Even Ryu in SSB4 didn't get a lot of Street Fighter fans to say "Oh my God, I HAVE to get this game now!" He's kind of an addition for the sake of being an addition. It's kind of like "welp, here's Ken" to a predominantly quiet room aside from someone stifling a cough in the back.

Being fan of one, doesn't mean you can't be fan of the other even if a "community" doesn't like each others. That's like saying Sonic fans shouldn't like Sonic in Smash because they supposedly hated Mario back in the 90's. Or that Metal Gear Fans can't be happy because they aren't nintendo Fans in General.

Burst out of the bubble of "community" and you have people who love boths. And why the fan of both series will love Ken. I'm part of them.
Do you think Walking Dead fans will all go "Oh yeah! Negan, brb buying a PS4 and Tekken 7"? Or do you think it was a crossover made for fan of both?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've talked about this a little bit but there's very little crossover between the Smash and Street Fighter fanbases to the point where the two kind of resent each other, largely because of the huge differences in their competitive communities. This is why Ken being the only remaining echo and that they would try to attach a lot of fanfare to him doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, again, he's a big gaming icon but who would he be for? Even Ryu in SSB4 didn't get a lot of Street Fighter fans to say "Oh my God, I HAVE to get this game now!" He's kind of an addition for the sake of being an addition. It's kind of like "welp, here's Ken" to a predominantly quiet room aside from someone stifling a cough in the back.
I wouldn't take the voices of the vocal minority as evidence of actual animosity.

I actually play more Street Fighter than Smash. Most of my Street Fighter friends, I met through AllisBrawl when we were on the Brawl hype train. Our local friendlies every Friday consist of a bunch of games, including both SFV and Smash4, and lots of people play both.

You're confusing Street Fighter fans with SRK fighting game "purists" who like to talk ****.

Potato_

Smash Lord
This does make sense to me. As a Street Fighter fan Ken being in made me very excited but I can understand that for most Smash fans there wouldn't be much other than "Oh cool, it's Ken." Question is if Nintendo would be concerned about that much? Echoes were always shown and portrayed by Sakurai as a "bonus" to the roster, probably because if he tried to portray them as newcomers he'd get the same complaints that they were clones. Ken could just be shown off as a "Hey look who WE managed to get in!" sorta deal alongside the remaining newcomers.

I can see both sides tbh.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This does make sense to me. As a Street Fighter fan Ken being in made me very excited but I can understand that for most Smash fans there wouldn't be much other than "Oh cool, it's Ken."
To be fair, "Oh cool, it's _____" is my reaction to almost everyone on the Smash roster.

People are generally fans of a few distinct characters, and somewhere on the scale of "neat" to "I don't know who that is" for the rest.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
does anyone have that image/tweet?
the one with Steve fighting with a Smash fighter
it was fanart but drawn by some official Pokemon artist on twitter

This contradicts Verge’s claim of Minecraft content pre-E3, implying said content would have to be in the base game

Soooo into the trash Monogatari guy goes?
Verge is pretty confident on him opposed to loz18 making him insecure after Lupensko, so i say lets watch out things play out.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think we'll hit character 71 or 72 on the base roster before DLC, so 3 or 4 more uniques if I'm being positive. I personally don't think Minecraft will have a playable rep (just my opinion) so I'll guess:

Uniques:

69. Incineroar
70. Celica (Robin Semi-clone, I can see it happening now)
71. SE Character (Sora or Geno)
72. Isaac (or a second SE Rep ^^)
73****(If a miracle happens). Rhythm Heaven

Echoes:
- Ken
- Shadow/Tails

I'd personally like to place my bets on the Celica/Geno rumor for now, as it has nothing wrong with it. Additionally Golden Sun's retrademark happened once last year, then again this year. While it could only just Golden Sun may be seeing a revival at Nintendo, I'm placing my bets on Isaac at least for DLC, as they will most certainly advertise his revival.

Additionally, Rhythm Heaven was also renewed, but this could have just been standard retrademarking. Who knows. I just think Sakurai has wanted to add a RH character since 4 and will only get it to work now.

I put Sora up there because with KH3 coming and likely Nintendo ports of the games in the future, he's a massive investment for Square and Nintendo. If not base, he's the biggest choice I have for DLC.

Finally I have my reservations about Shadow/Tails, but I feel like if Ryu is getting a 3rd party echo, Sonic may as well. But that's a dumb comparison so idk lol.

So in the end I can see several of the following:
- Incineroar
- Geno
- Celica
- Isaac
- RH character
- Ken
- Shadow/Tails

That's roughly 7 characters, and in no way am I saying we'll get 7 more, especially that many uniques. I just think this may be the pool we have, if that Rumor has merit and trademarks have a Smash related purpose.

Who knows though. Usually the final characters are extremely polarizing in the community, so I'm not sure the final characters will be this good lol.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
does anyone have that image/tweet?
the one with Steve fighting with a Smash fighter
it was fanart but drawn by some official Pokemon artist on twitter

Verge is pretty confident on him opposed to loz18 making him insecure after Lupensko, so i say lets watch out things play out.
That was actually a picture of Bewear.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
One-off argument is terrible considering Fire Emblem does it worse and has more character representation.

Popularity should warrant the character being 'deserved'.

Skull Kid is 'deserved' more than others for the simple reason that Majora's Mask is as iconic as the Triforce itself. Just about any gamer can look at those two symbols and immediately tell you they're from LoZ. Same can't be said about others in the series.

Also having a bunch of Links is horrible representation and it comes off as lazy when there's dozens of interesting and popular characters to choose from the series.
don't forget
even adding Tetra or another Ganon would be refreshing opposed to another possible Link
honestly even Impa too but she's a wild card (possible Sheik echo or unique character with source material majorly based from OoT+Skyward Sword+BotW)

Potato_

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think we'll hit character 71 or 72 on the base roster before DLC, so 3 or 4 more uniques if I'm being positive. I personally don't think Minecraft will have a playable rep (just my opinion) so I'll guess:

Uniques:

69. Incineroar

Echoes:
- Ken
- Shadow/Tails

I'd personally like to place my bets on the Celica/Geno rumor for now, as it has nothing wrong with it. Additionally Golden Sun's retrademark happened once last year, then again this year. While it could only just Golden Sun may be seeing a revival at Nintendo, I'm placing my bets on Isaac at least for DLC, as they will most certainly advertise his revival.

Additionally, Rhythm Heaven was also renewed, but this could have just been standard retrademarking. Who knows. I just think Sakurai has wanted to add a RH character since 4 and will only get it to work now.

I put Sora up there because with KH3 coming and likely Nintendo ports of the games in the future, he's a massive investment for Square and Nintendo. If not base, he's the biggest choice I have for DLC.

Finally I have my reservations about Shadow/Tails, but I feel like if Ryu is getting a 3rd party echo, Sonic may as well. But that's a dumb comparison so idk lol.

- Incineroar
- Geno
- Celica
- Isaac
- RH character
- Ken
- Shadow/Tails

That's roughly 7 characters, and in no way am I saying we'll get 7 more, especially that many uniques. I just think this may be the pool we have, if that Rumor has merit and trademarks have a Smash related purpose.

Who knows though. Usually the final characters are extremely polarizing in the community, so I'm not sure the final characters will be this good lol.

I have to agree on Isaac. With Nintendo renewing his trademark two years before they technically have to, as well as the other little things supporting him (Good poll support, Rathalos picture) he might be better off than most of us expect.

Shadow and Skull Kid are two with the whole "absent AT" thing along with having new AT's from their series (Moon particularly being from SK's game) which makes me hesitant to say they're completely out of the running. Are they likely? Eh, but they're not buried in the slightest. LoZ wasn't the only reason SK was seen as having a chance people.

Celica leak is weird to me because this guy suddenly knew all of this stuff literally MONTHS before? It's happened before of course (heya Vaanrose how ya doing), but I am hesitant to consider it. I am keeping it in mind however.

I do think Geno is the Square rep though. Fits this game's theme of fanservice too well, as well as putting to bed old requests.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Challange accepted, I don't belive in the slightest about that theory and I am willing to bet that we are going to see more than just Ken and Incineroar.

Then I would also suggest that people who are supporting it to death are legally prohibited to be happy when more than two characters are revealed :upsidedown:
right on!
i hope the so called box theory gets smashed along with the Prima guide garbo
people are seriously grasping for straws like "the spaces!" on the banner

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
right on!
i hope the so called box theory gets smashed along with the Prima guide garbo
people are seriously grasping for straws like "the spaces!" on the banner
I'm tired of "theories" in general.

Has any pattern ever actually paid off? When have any of these secret codes actually predicted things? Honest question.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
So if we are to assume 3 unique fighters left (as of right now because of leaks and there being only a smaller amount of newcomers compared to previous games), then I'm guessing:

Incineroar
Geno
Steve
I also think Shantae is very likely, she just hasn't came up in any credible leaks or leaks in general, so idk.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Remind me again what case there is for Sora beyond a deleted tweet?
i think it had to do with this
Disney Japan VP on who owns Sora and KH and his chances for Smash.png

and Hashimoto appeased to the idea of Sora in Smash (then suddenly deleting it because we know how strict S-E is)
personally its nothing "major" at the moment, like the Hitagi rumor of Nintendo under negotiations with Cygames for Smash.
but we do know the interest is there and not much of a long shot either according to the Disney head

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm tired of "theories" in general.

Has any pattern ever actually paid off? When have any of these secret codes actually predicted things? Honest question.
Most games don't release with tidbits of information semi-daily like Smash has since Brawl. So it's hard to draw comparisons with other games.

The inherent problem lies in our assumption that the content itself followed a pattern to begin with (e.g. "We have to pick Incineroar because every Smash has a Pokemon newcomer", or "we need another Xenoblade Chronicles song or this Thursday won't follow our usual Thursday setup"). When they're planning content for the game, they're simply testing and trying and making things work until it comes together as a final product. Then the marketing team takes what they've been given and creates their own work based on all of that, which could very well follow a pattern-- but nothing in the world demands that they follow the pattern forever. There's no consequence whatsoever for breaking the trend they never had to follow to begin with.

I seriously doubt the developers hold themselves to any strict patterns or rules that we retroactively apply to what information we've been given.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm pretty confident there's a good chance we'll be seeing Sora as DLC for sure. He works better that way anyways since the deal between Nintendo and Microsoft would work better that way in a split deal with money.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we will get all remaining fighters in a mass reveal.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
*sees all these comments that Sakurai is words equals the box theory right*

You guys take stuff for gospel and looking to deep into it don’t you (Not 4chan esc website leaks)

It’s just Sakurai is going to slow the pace down a little of reveals it doesn’t change the number of new characters left

Like for October it could only be 1 or 2 echo or 1 unique only

And the rest for November ending with a mewtwo esc reveal for the first dlc character

And it doesn’t deconfirm the blog theory either the only way to disprove it is when the last character reveal is under 6-8 characters because it’s never going to leave the 3 character average

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Jin Kazama makes more sense than Heihachi IMO, Devil Jin is a perfect Final smash.

But we need some SNK reps too, cant decide between Terry Bogard, Ryo Sakazaki, or Kyo Kusanagi. Anyone got throughts which of the three would be in smash?
I disagree

Heihachi is much more recognisable and is the series mascot basically. His final smash could be him strapping his opponents on a space rocket. His entire schtick is also throwing people off cliffs (which Smash is to an extend). Even more, his moveset doesn't necessarily have to rely on just fighting moves. In one of the games he gets attacked by exploding JACK robots. He could throw one at you. It would also be a nice salute to the voice actors that passed away.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
inb4 Music Theory and Box Theory are right, but we get Steve while SE character is DLC, making Incineroar the only misinformation from Vergeben.

Or Music Theory dies while Steve and SE character are on the back of the box / no Steve =( (but with Minecraft content still =) )

MainJPW

M.T.A

Uniques:

69. Incineroar

Echoes:
- Ken
- Shadow/Tails

- Incineroar
- Geno
- Celica
- Isaac
- RH character
- Ken
- Shadow/Tails

You know, Sakurai’s reasons for making Isabelle a semi-clone would likely apply to Tails as well, different heights/body shape and such.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
That was actually a picture of Bewear.

Man, that picture makes me want Steve in Smash even more..

Uniques:

69. Incineroar

Echoes:
- Ken
- Shadow/Tails

- Incineroar
- Geno
- Celica
- Isaac
- RH character
- Ken
- Shadow/Tails

The only one on your list I seem Iffy about is Isaac. Sure, he's a fan Favorite, but his franchise is completely dead with no intents by Camelot on reviving it... It would just seem weird to have Isaac in Smash, yet have his franchise still be Dormant.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I disagree

Heihachi is much more recognisable and is the series mascot basically. His final smash could be him strapping his opponents on a space rocket. His entire schtick is also throwing people off cliffs (which Smash is to an extend). Even more, his moveset doesn't necessarily have to rely on just fighting moves. In one of the games he gets attacked by exploding JACK robots. He could throw one at you. It would also be a nice salute to the voice actors that passed away.
PS all stars did it already, do we really wanna be ripping that off blatantly. And if they wont put Joeseph Joestar in Tekken 7 i hardly see namco bandai being people for tributes. Reminder theyre a big part of the development of this game and the last smash games.

We ever disregard that Dante stuff?
I know i haven't. That would be the bees knees if it was real.

You guys take stuff for gospel and looking to deep into it don’t you (Not 4chan esc website leaks)

It’s just Sakurai is going to slow the pace down a little of reveals it doesn’t change the number of new characters left

And the rest for November ending with a mewtwo esc reveal for the first dlc character

And it doesn’t deconfirm the blog theory either the only way to disprove it is when the last character reveal is under 6-8 characters because it’s never going to leave the 3 character average
Thats nothing. Give it five more days and they'll be wearing cloaking robes chanting This Side Up, Fragile, and HAndle with care in latin.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Being fan of one, doesn't mean you can't be fan of the other even if a "community" doesn't like each others. That's like saying Sonic fans shouldn't like Sonic in Smash because they supposedly hated Mario back in the 90's. Or that Metal Gear Fans can't be happy because they aren't nintendo Fans in General.

Burst out of the bubble of "community" and you have people who love boths. And why the fan of both series will love Ken. I'm part of them.
Do you think Walking Dead fans will all go "Oh yeah! Negan, brb buying a PS4 and Tekken 7"? Or do you think it was a crossover made for fan of both?
That's what I said though: there's very little crossover. Minecraft to Smash? Pretty big overlap, at least on the casual side of things. Kingdom Hearts? A ton of overlap there too. Crash Bandicoot? Yep. Street Fighter? Not really, no. Some people argue that it was because of the leak but I'd be willing to say that Ryu by far had the least amount of fanfare of any third party addition to Smash to date. That's why, although I agree Ken is probably a lock at this point, it would be very, very weird in my eyes if Ken was it for echoes, especially when Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus were noted for their extreme popularity. If Shadow was the last one, I could totally believe that for the reasons I stated and I don't even like nor want him.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
That's what I said though: there's very little crossover. Minecraft to Smash? Pretty big overlap, at least on the casual side of things. Kingdom Hearts? A ton of overlap there too. Crash Bandicoot? Yep. Street Fighter? Not really, no. Some people argue that it was because of the leak but I'd be willing to say that Ryu by far had the least amount of fanfare of any third party addition to Smash to date. That's why, although I agree Ken is probably a lock at this point, it would be very, very weird in my eyes if Ken was it for echoes, especially when Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus were noted for their extreme popularity. If Shadow was the last one, I could totally believe that for the reasons I stated and I don't even like nor want him.
well Ryu is kind of a fighting game .... right family site... Basically if he got in the Power Rangers Live Action Movie Fighting game, then he officailly has to have his finger in every pie.

editing in the proof cuz it sounds ridiculous on the face of it dont it

Last edited:

Chrono.

The only one on your list I seem Iffy about is Isaac. Sure, he's a fan Favorite, but his franchise is completely dead with no intents by Camelot on reviving it... It would just seem weird to have Isaac in Smash, yet have his franchise still be Dormant.
For what it's worth they renewed that Golden Sun trademark a couple years in advance. Maybe they plan on re-releasing the games or something.

Either way I don't think it matters that much for a franchise to be dormant or not. Especially when Pit got added in Brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do Salt count as Fanfare? :4bayonetta:
Like french fries, it was a mixed bag. For everyone who was fuming there was someone on the verge of tearing their clothes off and running through their neighborhood. Plus, it was pretty hype given she came from games with F-bombs, mutilation, and explict, camera straddling crotch shots where all you needed was 3D glasses for it to count as prostitution and there was a good chunk of us that thought she'd never make it in a million years.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Man, that picture makes me want Steve in Smash even more..

I would have said the same thing if it wasn't for his trademark being retrademarked last year, 4 years early before expiration, then again last month, only a year after that last retrademark.

Something is definitely up with Golden Sun. If not for Smash, its likely for a revival, which will probably eventually lead to Smash content. If the franchise was dead, they would have did to it what they did to Custom Robo (drop the Trademark entirely)

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman
I would have said the same thing if it wasn't for his trademark being retrademarked last year, 4 years early before expiration, then again last month, only a year after that last retrademark.

Something is definitely up with Golden Sun. If not for Smash, its likely for a revival, which will probably eventually lead to Smash content. If the franchise was dead, they would have did to it what they did to Custom Robo (drop the Trademark entirely)
the last game did end on a cliffhanger... just sayin...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

>Using my reaction video to advocate for anti-box theory and advocating blog theory

If anything, let’s take Sakurai’s word to support Nihilist theory and say that all theories are false theories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom