• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd laugh though if Sakurai showed up and just played like 8 or 9 trailers in a row like a lot of people seem to still expect.

''EVERY NEWCOMER IS HERE."

''That's right. Everyone you wanted is here and we decided to kill you with hype so you can't play them."

Enchess

Smash Lord
My feelings towards people expressing disappointment in roster really depends on their reasoning. I'm disappointed if Ken/Incineroar is it because seeing new Nintendo IP playable is a huge part of why Smash is special to me and I'd cut any newcomer (other than Inkling for obvious reasons) for one more Nintendo franchise. Saying that as someone whose most wanted were K Rool and Ridley by far.

What bugs me is people who are disappointed with the number of characters. The game is massive! You can't hold Nintendo to that sort of expectation!...on flip side if it's someone who'd gladly cut half the returning cast for 5 more newcomers, I get and respect that. The number of newcomers matters to them more than the total characters and in that sense it's disappointing.

TL;DR - There are many valid reasons to be disappointed and people aren't spoiled brats if they are, like if Nintendo history is the part they care about. But "too small a final roster" and "character X isn't in" are kinda entitled.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
That one's so bad it has to have been made for comedy's sake.
whoops, now that i read it seems that it isn't clear... when i said i love this one, i was refering to "reasons why a leak is fake" posted above...

Yeah that "leak" was just made up to laugh at the premise.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
That is definitely a huge factor as to why these leaks have become so prevalent. Sash 4 was announced I believe a year before its release, and information was rolled out during that one year span. Brawl had an even longer release span where it was two years after its announcement that it was released. This allowed for information to not just roll out promptly but not create such a massive desire of information. Ultimate, however, was announced this year in March, then shown off in May, with a full direct in August, and a small reveal this month. There is so much info still being kept secret that is both frustrating as well as exhilarating. And I think this, in a way, is a smart move on Nintendo's behalf.

Save for a few smaller side-games like Aces and Mario Party, Nintendo has lacked in major IP releases this year. Ultimate is going to be that killer app for the year. I feel they will want to keep this hype train going till December 7 so people keep buying Switches and in the process buy more games till Smash is out. With so very little known about the final game, it's what leads to speculation, then all these leaks are created.
Which leds me to believe 2 things: either they are VERY tight lips about leaks and content or there´s a chance for a delay and they are working nonstop till they really manage to get to that release date. I´m crossing fingers is just nintendo being tight af.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sakurai's recent statement only further strengthens the already-strong Box Theory, in my eyes.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm really thinking about the roster, and the best thing to expect is what verg said + the box theory. Ken, and a Pokémon (probably incinaroar) would be the official final roster which covers the box theory, and then a square character (hopefully geno) as day 1 dlc OR as a bonus character if you have an online subscription. I think based on the information we have, that makes most sense.

That said, I hope to God that there's a **** ton of dlc down the road, hopefully in the form of something like seasons passes. Like maybe every few months we get 3 new characters, a stage or 2, and maybe an echo or some costumes for 15 bucks or something like that. Like 5-6 dlcs like this would be perfect.

Electrick_EEL

Smash Cadet
I think I know why Verge hasn't confirmed or denied the July Celica leak. I think he knows she's in the game but he doesn't want to confirm it because he probably knows how much some people don't want anymore FE characters.
Personally I think another Robin won't be as bad as another Marth.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
whoops, now that i read it seems that it isn't clear... when i said i love this one, i was refering to "reasons why a leak is fake" posted above...

Yeah that "leak" was just made up to laugh at the premise.
I gotcha. I just meant that, assuming you were quoting someone, there is no way they made that with the intent of being taken seriously.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think I know why Verge hasn't confirmed or denied the July Celica leak. I think he knows she's in the game but he doesn't want to confirm it because he probably knows how much some people don't want anymore FE characters.
Personally I think another Robin won't be as bad as another Marth.
I... don't think leakers really care about portions of the community's hypothetical reaction to things. They just want to be first. And, if possible, right.

Untouch

Smash Master
I could see a Pokemon direct in October personally. Incineroar won't be announced there, but that'd be October's direct.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I just REALLY hope we don't skip next month for reveals.
This is one of my biggest "what if". Literally if we get nothing next month it almost confirms 2 things:

-Theyll squash everything in one direct, which would mean theres no way they are announcing more than 6 characters.

-They might delay the game, how comes 2 months before the launch of your biggest game theres almost no marketing?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
With us entering the final stages before release, I feel it’d be unwise to leave us hanging dry for a whole month. There has to be something in October or people are gonna get (even more) out of control.

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I don't even know what to think anymore lol. I'm just gonna be neutral on the whole thing, I got most of what I wanted (Daisy, Zelda buffs) and more anyway (except Medusa). But I hope to God that we'll at least hear something in October.

Luigimon98

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5239 6092 0717
Here's what Sakurai actually said according to SourceGaming:

“...That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace for a bit.”

He said there will be fewer trailers left, but that doesn't mean there are in fact fewer characters left. They may be packed in some trailers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's what Sakurai actually said according to SourceGaming:

“...That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace for a bit.”

He said there will be fewer trailers left, but that doesn't mean there are in fact fewer characters left. They may be packed in some trailers.
...What reason is there to believe characters would share trailers, outside of a Richter echo situation?

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
I just went through what we know about Sakurai's column so far and these are the facts:
  1. It basically confirms there are characters left as it says slow down not stop
  2. it says character reveals won't continue all the way until just before launch, though it never says how many
  3. it also mentions the game should go gold soon
Considering all this, we probably should expect our last character reveals before november 15th, with how reveals have gone so far that means at least 1 and 5-6 at most with 2-4 being most likely in one or two more directs

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
...What reason is there to believe characters would share trailers, outside of a Richter echo situation?
I've actually pondered how Ken and Incineroar are both red-clad, fire-wielding fighters that no one wants.

They'd fit together nicely.

D

Deleted member

I've made my peace with the box theory a long time ago, even just Verg's supposed SE character would be a nice bonus. Here's how things can play out:
-The "Verg is right, Box is right, and Sakurai told you all to calm down but didn't listen" route aka the Fate Route: Incineroar and Ken are the only ones remaining. It's boring and predictable for most but it's the most likely to be canon. The new SE is NOT Gilgamesh and he gets ****ed.
-The "Verg is only TECHNICALLY wrong but Box is still right" route aka the Unlimited Blade Works Route: same as above except Incineroar is not the only Pokemon and our new Pokemon character is actually another Pkmn Trainer deal, meaning we have 3 new Pokemon. The best case scenario version of the above, it's more interesting and hype and Gilgamesh gets ****ed again except cooler this time.
-The "Verg is right, box is wrong" route aka the Heaven's Feel route: we get Incineroar, Ken and our mysterious SE rep all in the base game. Gilgamesh is still not in and gets ****ed again. Takamaru's corpse is used to summon the SE rep.
And finally
-The "Verg is wrong, box is wrong, Sakurai is a liar" route aka Carnival Phantasm: We get more than 8 newcomers, it's fun and hype but completely non-canon. Gilgamesh is in somehow and Bandana Dee dies.

Also, "content we still need to see outside of newcomers" route aka the "this isn't just about characters" route:
-Spirits Mode
-Stadium Modes
-All-Stars
-Additional game rules
-At least 10 more Assist Trophies
-Many more Pokeball Pokemon
-The other blurred menu option
-SPIRITS MODE
-Motherfucucking trophies
-Whether or not TW101 music is still in
-All the new FE remixes

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Honestly still going to keep that Celica/Geno Rumor as the only rumor I'll pay attention to before the end now. It's the only character rumor, even back in July, that only told us 4 characters.

It had gotten Simon and Ashley's AT right for the August direct, and even called Isabelle before Vergeben had.

Plus I can also see Celica causing salt heaps to non FE fans with a limited newcomer roster and that's something I need to see XD

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
You, however, legit come off as though you’re in denial and are trying to rationalize that there are fifty billion characters left. Then when someone tells you there probably won’t be, all of a sudden you go “I don’t care, I-I’m happy so f-far!”
You can say you’re disappointed in the final roster. No one is going to judge you, dude.
I'm not disapointed of the final roster even if there's no more newcomers. And trust me,I know how it feels being not satisfied because Smash4 roster leave a pretty salt taste in my mouth. Not everyone are satisfied by numbers. We got K.Rool , Inkling, Isabelle and Simon... all of them are great adictions to me.

I think Geno and Steve will come in the last direct,pre release. I don't mind them. If not,if we receive characters I personally dislike,like Incinerorar, it's also ok. I think Steve is a cool choice because the newcomers were pointed to a more mature audience this time, so he can be that magic one for the children.
My younger brother played a hell of Minecraft some years ago.

EDIT: I know the quoted post was not made for me, but I wanted to give a perspective.

Last edited:

TheCrystalCave

Smash Cadet
How can people believe the Box Theory when Sakurai specifically said there was a "few" more Echo fighters left to be announced before launch, during the Smash Direct. Ken is only 1 of the few. Doesn't that factual statement completely debunk the theory?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
How can people believe the Box Theory when Sakurai specifically said there was a "few" more Echo fighters left to be announced before launch, during the Smash Direct. Ken is only 1 of the few. Doesn't that factual statement completely debunk the theory?
I don't remember the direct saying that.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
To be fair, he said a few more fighters in general. Not echo fighters. At least that's how the translation painted it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I’m guessing Sakurai’s recent statement means we’re most likely not getting a Steve reveal at Minecon.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just said a few more fighters. In general. I did not once notice him placing emphasis on echoes in that sentence

D

Deleted member

Well, I said I would wait until there was solid evidence, and you can't really get more solid than words from the man making the game, lol.

I'm predicting two scenarios:

Final Base Game Newcomer: Incineroar

Final Echo: Ken

Minecraft content is misinformation. I just don't believe that Nintendo would have negotiations with Microsoft and get one of the biggest IPs ever, only to give it an item or a stage.

SE Rep is either DLC or misinformation.

Spirits is bigger than we think and is being saved as the last big thing instead of a character.

Final Base Game Newcomers: Incineroar and Steve/SE Rep

Final Echos: Ken and Shadow

Regardless of whether the Box Theory is right or not in the end, I will say that it along with this quote from Sakurai helped set expectations for what's left. While I would be surprised to see Ken as the only Echo left, it would fit in with Sakurai (seemingly) feeling that they rushed the reveals early on and didn't save anything really for the end besides whatever Spirits is. Given his comment, I'm also a little doubtful about my original October Direct prediction. The last Direct is gonna go one of three ways IMO:

A: Nintendo is doing it at either the end of next month or the first two weeks of November.

B: Nintendo isn't doing a preload (unlikely, IMO) and are gonna wait like a week or two before release.

C: They don't give a dang about preload data mining and are gonna do it mid-November.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
let me sum it up to you in 1000 words

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
He said a few more fighters, not echo fighters. After that statement, K Rool and Isabelle were revealed. Ken and Incineroar’s hypothetical reveal makes 4, aka a few.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
He was reffering to all newcomers not just echos

Mega :ultgreninja:.

I'd laugh though if Sakurai showed up and just played like 8 or 9 trailers in a row like a lot of people seem to still expect.

''EVERY NEWCOMER IS HERE."

''That's right. Everyone you wanted is here and we decided to kill you with hype so you can't play them."
Man I know it's not happening but I'd die for an "Everyone is here" for like even 5 more newcomers. Would be amazing and might still be fair to Sakurai's statement if it's all in one final direct instead of spread out.

Unlikely lol.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Status