• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate general series discussion: Part 2: Donkey Kong (with polls)

Pick three characters below who you would like to see as fighters. Why?

• Dixie Kong

Votes: 104 93.7%
  • Funky Kong

Votes: 66 59.5%
  • Cranky Kong

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Lanky Kong

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Chunky Kong

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Candy Kong

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Tiny Kong

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Kiddy Kong

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Kritter

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Easy for me, Dixie, Funky and Cranky are just much more relevant than the other choices... But in the end I only need Dixie to make the DK representation perfect in my eyes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Day 4! Today's topic is....
Hypothetical question: Imagine that Rare directed another Donkey Kong game. Would you be more inclined toward having more Donkey Kong representation from that game, or would you feel the same if Nintendo directed it?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hypothetical question: Imagine that Rare directed another Donkey Kong game. Would you be more inclined toward having more Donkey Kong representation from that game, or would you feel the same if Nintendo directed it?
You mean Microsoft's Rare or Playtonic? Because I'd prefer the latter collaborating with Retro.

Either way, DK's cast is rich enough that they don't have to draw upon newer things.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think it would largely depend on what the game was like. I want more DKC representation no matter who helms the next DK game, but weather or not it comes from the latest game in the series is determined by how memorable the latest game even is. I don't think I can recall a single boss encounter from Tropical Freeze except the Polar bear for being super hard and getting dyed purple as the fight progressed, and King Frederick for being a pale imitation of K. Rool.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think it would largely depend on what the game was like. I want more DKC representation no matter who helms the next DK game, but weather or not it comes from the latest game in the series is determined by how memorable the latest game even is. I don't think I can recall a single boss encounter from Tropical Freeze except the Polar bear for being super hard and getting dyed purple as the fight progressed, and King Frederick for being a pale imitation of K. Rool.
To be fair, the unmemorability of Retro's DK villains is mostly on them being one-shot. I'm not so sure anyone thought highly of K. Rool until later games had his "disguising" quirk.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Actually, I didn't play any of the DKC sequels until they hit Wii VC, and he still made quite an impression on me. But then again, as a child, I was always obsessed with bad guys. And Lizards.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Actually, I didn't play any of the DKC sequels until they hit Wii VC, and he still made quite an impression on me. But then again, as a child, I was always obsessed with bad guys. And Lizards.
I swear me and you are like the same guy. lol But anyway I agree. I always loved K.Rool's design in DKC and yeah I didn't play DKC2 and DKC3 until Wii VC. What REALLY made me fall in love with K.Rool was DK64. Since the whole game is basically told through K.Rool's eyes/POV. Every cutscene in the game is focused on K.Rool and the Kremlings and to show their personalities more and BOY does K.Rool have a ton (which is why I will NEVER get the "Bowser knock-off" complaint/diss).

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
If I can be totally honest I really don't like Jungle Hijinx. I'd leave it out. The background foreground switching was always super annoying to me.
Plus, let’s not forget about how Jungle Hijinx would function if stage morph is on. Like, what would happen to the characters in the background when the Stage Morph activate? Do they just outright get pushed into (or teleported to) the foreground, or do they get flatout KO’d due to unfortunately being there at the wrong time? Sure they could make the background be deactivated if Stage Morph is on but that bascuilly be removing the main thing that maded Jungle Hijinx stand out from the rest.

Guess it was probably for the best for Jungle Hijinx to not return then :ohwell:.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Plus, let’s not forget about how Jungle Hijinx would function if stage morph is on. Like, what would happen to the characters in the background when the Stage Morph activate? Do they just outright get pushed into (or teleported to) the foreground, or do they get flatout KO’d due to unfortunately being there at the wrong time? Sure they could make the background be deactivated if Stage Morph is on but that bascuilly be removing the main thing that maded Jungle Hijinx stand out from the rest.

Guess it was probably for the best for Jungle Hijinx to not return then :ohwell:.
Or they could set the stage's timers up so that everyone would have to be in the foreground when the stage morphed. The stage did occasionally have the entire surface on a layer collapse, forcing everyone to go to the other layer or die.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, I think Jungle Hijinx would be cool if the two layers didn't collapse at all and you were free to fight on any of the two layers at any time.

xoazi

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyziii
Switch FC
SW-3315-9796-7008
Would freaking love Lanky Kong. I feel he would be extremely fun to play. Maybe having him have two fighting styles, one whil standing and other while hand standing is how I'd envision it. But out of this list, I feel Dixie would have the best shot. Her kit seems like it would not be hard to make and would just involve tweaking Diddy's moves and changing the peanut gun and jetpack stuff.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Personally, I think Jungle Hijinx would be cool if the two layers didn't collapse at all and you were free to fight on any of the two layers at any time.
But then people would camp by staying off the same layer as their enemies. I have no issue with large stages, but that seems like overkill.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
But then people would camp by staying off the same layer as their enemies. I have no issue with large stages, but that seems like overkill.
I don't find that too different from Temple, but at least they could keep it so that using a cannon destroys it until it regenerates several moments later.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It's day 5! I'm sorry again for the delay, busy weekend, that's all.

Today's topic is....

If items from Funky Kong's shop made it in, which ones would you like to see?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Extra life balloon. If you get sent off the stage, the balloon brings you back. It does not heal you though so you better make it count.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
It's day 5! I'm sorry again for the delay, busy weekend, that's all.

Today's topic is....

If items from Funky Kong's shop made it in, which ones would you like to see?
How about the typical Red Life Balloon. This item would essentially work the same way as it does in the Retro’s Donkey Kong Country games, where instead of being KO’d, your character will instead float back into view holding onto the Balloon. Your be briefly invincible initially but after that your be completely vulnerable once again even if your still holding onto the balloon. It really is just giving you a chance to avoid being KO’d, so try your best to secure that chance! *Edit* Also best to mention that you can only hold onto one balloon at a time.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Day 7! I was very busy yesterday and unable to post, sorry!

Today's topic is....
In Mario: Super Sluggers, Donkey Kong used a glove on his fist to bat a ball. If DK had thee gloves on in one of his alternate costumes, would you feel inclined to use it?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Probably not, i've never really cared about the Mario sports spinoffs and it's a very small change for an alternate costume. I think alts should be reserved for much bigger changes.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Day 8! Today's topic is...
If Donkey Kong were to get a second villain, who would you like to see?
Does Wizpig count?

I'm not a big fan of any of the no-hopers that tried to stand in for K. Rool in his absense. Ghastly King, Tiki Tong, Lord Frederick, they can all go suck lemons. Wizpig though, I'm alright with him. He was more of a Diddy Kong antagonist in a completely different spinoff, so it didn't feel like a cheap replacement.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Lord Fredrik as a K.Rool echo or better yet K.Rool just wearing Lord Fredrik's costume as an alt. would be better. I liked Lord Fredrik ONLY because at the time he felt like the closest thing to seeing K.Rool again we were gonna get. My nickname for Fredrik is "King K. Nockoff" because he was literally just that, same body shape, personality, mannerisms, Hell even his costume is similar to K.Rool's.

Tiki Tong in my mind is generic Nintendo "Floating Hands/head" boss we've seen a 1,000 times over in Nintendo games and Ghastly Kong barely anyone remembers or knows because Jungle Beat sold like a steaming bag of dog doo on the sidewalk on a 100 degree summer afternoon.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Day 8! Today's topic is...
If Donkey Kong were to get a second villain, who would you like to see?
Does Wizpig count?

I'm not a big fan of any of the no-hopers that tried to stand in for K. Rool in his absense. Ghastly King, Tiki Tong, Lord Frederick, they can all go suck lemons. Wizpig though, I'm alright with him. He was more of a Diddy Kong antagonist in a completely different spinoff, so it didn't feel like a cheap replacement.
Wizpig is my pick as well, because I love Diddy Kong Racing.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'd pick Dixie, but not for the sake of filling the fan made quota of getting even with other franchises or adding characters proportional to the amount of sold game units, but simply because I like her. I find it silly when some people think that after the newcomer additions in Ultimate the devs are now obligated to have three or more character additions from the DK/Metroid series to catch up with others.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Day 9! Today's topic is....
If they expanded DK's hitbox sizes, but expanded the amount of lag he has, would you still use him?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Expanded you say? ;)

To answer the question, yes I would, but i'm no competitive player. My favorite character could be the lowest tier and i'd still use him. They'd have to be completely self destructive like Pichu for me to ignore them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes DKC is still underrepresented, which is sad because King K.Rool was literally the ultimate DKC newcomer whom most of the DKC fanbase fought tooth and nails for to include. Shame we still don't have Dixie. She was one of the most estimated potential newcomers for Smash 4, but never made it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm sorry everyone, I was very busy the last couple of days and couldn't post!

Today's topic is....
(Coming from a debate I had with my friend): Would you say that the "clap" DK does in his Up smash and Forward smash come from the line "Put your hands together if you wanna clap," from the DK rap?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Yeah they were absolutely from Donkey Konga, just like his Final Smash.
Speaking of, when are we going to get the Donkey Konga theme in Smash as BGM?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Dixie, Funky, and Cranky are the only ones who really need to be in Smash out of all the other remaining DK characters now that we have :ultkrool:...so either this game or the next they should definitely join

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Can you imagine if we got all three of them? Right now I see Dixie and Funky as 100% completing the DK lineup, so the inclusion of Cranky would put that at like 130% or something. Just absolutely above and beyond.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I would LOVE Funky and Cranky (especially) I don't feel they NEED to be in Smash as playable characters. The only glaring "Why the hell hasn't she been in Smash yet?" omission now that :ultkrool: has made it is Dixie Kong. She has the resume, the relevance, and while she is not HIGH on fan polls/wishlists (because more people seem to want to turn Smash into Mugen than continuing to add legacy Nintendo characters to a Nintendo All-Star fighting game at this point) she still has a decent sized fanbase. So what gives Sakurai why isn't she here yet? We know she was part of the "forbidden 7" in Brawl so we know you've thought about her. She has to be added to this game this time surely? RIGHT!?

Quillion

Smash Hero
While I would LOVE Funky and Cranky (especially) I don't feel they NEED to be in Smash as playable characters. The only glaring "Why the hell hasn't she been in Smash yet?" omission now that :ultkrool: has made it is Dixie Kong. She has the resume, the relevance, and while she is not HIGH on fan polls/wishlists (because more people seem to want to turn Smash into Mugen than continuing to add legacy Nintendo characters to a Nintendo All-Star fighting game at this point) she still has a decent sized fanbase. So what gives Sakurai why isn't she here yet? We know she was part of the "forbidden 7" in Brawl so we know you've thought about her. She has to be added to this game this time surely? RIGHT!?
Here's an idea for a daily question: is there any chance that Dixie can be anything more than a semi-echo?

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Gosh, a semi-echo would be amazing. It's the best we can hope for, if you ask me. I think she'll be one of those characters Sakurai looks at and then thinks "nah, I can't make her an Echo fighter. She deserves better." but then just go on to completely exclude her. Just like Wario in Melee, but at least he eventually made it in.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If Funky Kong was ever in the game, would you prefer him as an echo fighter of DK or his own fighter?
Honestly, an assist trophy. I feel most of the Funky supporters only are supporting him because he has become a "meme" character like Waluigi. I love Funky Kong but I just don't see the need of him being playable and especially not a full blown newcomer. If he gets in after Dixie and Cranky than cool but I definitely don't want him playable before those 2. It would be like adding Daisy in before Peach and Bowser.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I agree with the last thing you said Mariomaniac, but I would like to dispel the notion that "meme" characters are any less valid than regular ones. So what if a lot of people happen to like Funky and Waluigi because of memes? Shouldn't the only thing that matters be that people like them?

Even ignoring that, Funky's been a memorable mainstay in the DK series for as long as Diddy Kong and he deserves a place in Smash. I would never expect him to be unique and Echo status alone would be amazing beyond my wildest dreams. If we can't get any of that though, he should be at least an Assist trophy, as much as that would disappoint me at first. Much like Toad and Slippy, he's a beloved Nintendo character who just barely misses the mark of allstardom, but who still deserves recognition.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I like the Snowmads more than the Kremlings *dodges barrels from passionate DKC fans* so I'd like to request that you add Lord Fredrik as a choice in the poll at the top. He could be a Chrom-type Echo Fighter for King K. Rool, where his neutral B is adjusted (long thin ice dragons instead of large circular cannonballs) and his up-B is completely different (a large jump like the one King Dedede has) but keep everything else the same. They're both obese crown-wearing deceptively fast rulers who don't treat their minions well, so they can play alike. Plus it would be cool to have a playable viking.

Top Bottom