• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate general series discussion: Part 2: Donkey Kong (with polls)

Pick three characters below who you would like to see as fighters. Why?

• Dixie Kong

Votes: 104 93.7%
  • Funky Kong

Votes: 66 59.5%
  • Cranky Kong

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Lanky Kong

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Chunky Kong

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Candy Kong

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Tiny Kong

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Kiddy Kong

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Kritter

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This is the second part in a twelve thread series I plan on making in the next few weeks solely based on discussing all things related to each of the twelve series represented in Smash with one or more fighters. Since no one else has made these threads, I plan on doing so. These threads are for discussion based on the fighters, items, stages, music, etc. from their respective series. Each new day I'll have a new discussion topic, along with an opening poll.

Tagged for Frizz Frizz ! If you want me to tag you for the future threads, just let me know!

OPENING DISCUSSION:
So Donkey Kong is arguably the world's oldest video game IP, and one of the most iconic. Donkey Kong has been a member himself of Smash since the original installment. However, despite the game's status as a global icon, the DK series only has three fighters. So the opening discussion and poll for this thread will be: Of the characters listed, pick three who you would like to see in Smash as a fighter and explain why.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Dixie Kong is the only core character that would truly complete the representation of Dkc. She's not only a main character for Dkc2&3 but also the most popular partner in Tropical Freeze.

I also would love to use her in Smash, she's always been one of my favorite Nintendo characters and I would prefer her to be unique or even a semi clone of Diddy on the same level like Isabelle, Wolf or Luigi. She's also the one character I'm still hoping for.

Cranky and Funky Kong(as an echo of Dk) would be nice additions though I don't feel they are 100% necessary.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Thanks for tagging me! Keep tagging me for future threads, if you don't mind. :)

Anyway, I feel Dixie Kong is pretty much mandatory as DK's next fighter. She has a huge list of supporters, and is the only major DK character that's not in Smash yet. She'd definitely be an original fighter.

Chunky Kong would be interesting to see. He'd be a slower, yet heavier and stronger Donkey Kong. More heavyweights are definitely nice to have. He'd probably end up being a semi-clone, but he has potential to be his own fighter.

As for Funky Kong, he's made a considerable amount of appearances, so I'd say he's pretty important. And I could safely say that he's got some supporters backing him as well. He has a similar build to Donkey Kong, so being his Echo Fighter isn't entirely out of the question.

I would consider Cranky Kong as well, but alas, we're limited to only 3 characters. :(

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Lanky is the most interesting of the choices moveset-wise, but I'd rather just jave Dhalsim.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong should have been playable as early as Brawl imo. She's one of the last first party Nintendo characters I considered essential to the Nintendo Pantheon. She was playable in two out of three of the original Donkey Kong Country games, which is actually more than DK himself. She took a starring role in the third one. You can double these numberes if you include Donkey Kong Land. And she managed to get her revival earlier than K. Rool in Tropical Freeze. There is absolutely no reason she should not be in Smash.

If you ask me, Donkey Kong does not need more than DK, Diddy, Dixie, and King K. Rool. But that doesn't mean that more than four is entirely unwelcome. Just for fun, my other choices are...

Cranky Kong. One of the most entertaining characters in the series who had his playable debut in the most recent Tropical Freeze... this is also as close as we'll get to having NES Icon Scrooge McDuck playable since the old Kong seems to have aped his Cane Pogo Stick attack... He's been around since the DKC series began. Even longer if you buy into the idea of him being the original DK. ( I personally think that was just a dumb dev joke that they took too far but I don't want to get into that. )

And then there's Lanky Kong. Honestly I hate the stigma attached to this character because he's genuinely funny without the stupid memes. But it's not his comedy utilities that make me want him as the sixth DK character. It's because... well, do we really need another gorilla? Lanky stands out thanks to being an Orangutan. His schtick isn't being big and strong or small and nimble, but having incredible reach, and, assuming he represents DK64, utilities like the orange grenades and grape shooter.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
...Why is Candy even a choice over someone like Tiny or Kiddy?

-Dixie for obvious reasons being a decently requested character, a fan favorite not in yet, and already having a build-in moveset potential. (Hair, gum, guitar etc)

-Cranky for offering a more unique playstyle with his pogo crane, arguably being the 3rd most important character after DK and Diddy, and serving up some delicious “back in my day” codecs with the Smash cast.

-Funky just for giggles, as a semi clone of DK but with his surfboard.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Dixie Kong is the only core character that would truly complete the representation of Dkc. She's not only a main character for Dkc2&3 but also the most popular partner in Tropical Freeze.

I also would love to use her in Smash, she's always been one of my favorite Nintendo characters and I would prefer her to be unique or even a semi clone of Diddy on the same level like Isabelle, Wolf or Luigi. She's also the one character I'm still hoping for.

Cranky and Funky Kong(as an echo of Dk) would be nice additions though I don't feel they are 100% necessary.
Ditto on these three.

Chunky and Lanky are one-offs that don't really stand out enough from the rest of the crowd to merit a spot. Lanky has charm I suppose, and Chunky beats out his little brother. Candy is probably one of the most unpopular Kongs full stop due to being one dimensional and having an awkwardly anthropomorphic design. And how would she fight?

The other three have great merits though. Cranky is historically very significant to both DK as a series and gaming in general, but his modern incarnation is very hard to work as an actual fighter. Lanky or Chunky are easier to make fighters but ultimately a lot less important, so I'm giving Cranky the nod.

Funky is a cool dude. He oozes personality, has had many secondary roles in the series (where he manufactured the Kong arsenal or sold them their power-ups and tools) made a crossover cameo in Mario Kart Wii (where he became one of the most popular racers), and now has his own mode in the Switch version of Tropical Freeze, complete with unique new abilities and a nice boost in characterization.

Number 1 is Dixie by far. 5 roles as a central protagonist, an original SNES icon, has had a modern revival in Tropical Freeze, has made crossovers in Mario Hoops and both Mario Baseball games, has great popularity and is just such a fun character who arguably beats every Kong in personality besides maybe Funky. Plus girl power. And she can be a Diddy semi-clone if need be.

SuperJumpmon64

Smash Cadet
I definitely think Dixie should be a semi-clone of Diddy Kong. Also, they should add Funky Kong as an echo for DK.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

-Dixie for obvious reasons being a decently requested character, a fan favorite not in yet, and already having a build-in moveset potential. (Hair, gum, guitar etc)

-Cranky Kong for offering a more unique playstyle, arguably being the 3rd most important character after DK and Diddy, and serving up some delicious “back in my day” codecs with the Smash cast.

-Funky just for giggles, as a semi clone of DK but with his surfboard.
I'll add Tiny and Kiddy to the list. And Kritter, because why not.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Dixie is the only ESSENTIAL DK character left IMO. This is coming from someone who loves the DKC series to death and it's my favorite series from Nintendo. Dixie is (like her support thread states) truly the last Nintendo All-Star not in Smash (though one could make a case for Bandana Dee) if we're not including Toad since he looks to be deconfimed. In fact if we're being honest both Dixie and Rool should've been added to the series a LONG time ago. She deserves to be here not only to round out the DK series nicely but to round out all the Nintendo All-Stars. It truly isn't "EVERYONE IS HERE" unless Dixie is added.

I also voted for Cranky and Funky. Cranky because he would be a legit great character as well as great WTF joke character. Too bad if Nintendo announced Cranky as a DLC character people would just ***** and moan and bring up the notorious VGX 2013 incident again...While personally I would like Cranky he isn't a "must have" IMO.

Funky I voted for well because idk he has the most appearances out of the other options that aren't Dixie and Cranky and he could work as an echo for Donkey. Though I think Funky would work better as assist trophy if I'm being honest. As for Lanky he would be unique that's for sure and I wouldn't mind his inclusion per-se but the Kong has only appeared in 2 games as a side character. It would be like adding Wart and Tatanga for Mario. Not bad picks just really strange picks.

Chunky (as much as I love him) is dead.

Oh and if Lanky gets into anything it should be a guest character in ARMS 2!

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
DK's overall representation in Smash has been patchy. Roster-wise, Ultimate gave it a much-need boost with K Rool. The series now has a really diverse set of fighters, despite there only being three of them: a hard-hitting, heavyweight gorilla; a nimble chimpanzee and an obese, weapon-wielding crocodile king. Compare this, say, with Zelda, which has twice the number of reps but has three of the same character. Or Fire Emblem and its overabundance of swords. Despite DK's diversity in just three characters, however, it needs a fourth to be truly complete. As people have been saying, this is Dixie - a character whose been relevant throughout the series' history, contrasting with K Rool whose been absent in recent games. While Dixie is often suggested as an echo, this really wouldn't work for her. It'd be much better if she was a semi-clone like Isabelle, with a basis in Diddy but a DK-like recovery (helicopter hair rather than arms) and down special (hair slapping the floor). Her main distinguishing feature would of course be her hair, which is why an echo would be insufficient. Apart from Dixie, there are no other DK characters who feel essential. Cranky and Funky would be the realistic next choices, but they'd be more like a cherry on top if we ever got them.

While roster-wise the DK series is almost complete, the same can't be said for it's stage selection. The main issue is that they're very generic and essentially boil down to two themes. Much as Metroid has an overabundance of lava/acid levels in Smash, DK has too many which are either generic jungle scenes or rapid-flowing water. While there's some similarities to DK Country levels, they don't feel like they're based on anything in particular. The few exceptions are Rumble Falls (another rapid-flowing water level, and one which no one likes) and Jungle Hijinx. But neither of these levels are present in Ultimate, meaning the only DK stage which feels truly unique is the much-hated 75m. The DK series therefore really needs a new stage in Ultimate that doesn't fall into these cliches and actually feels unique. While I've seen people suggest Gangplank Galleon, we already have a pirate ship stage (two, if you count Paper Mario) and I'd rather not all of the new DK content in Ultimate focus around K Rool. It'd be better if it was based on a level from Tropical Freeze. The game has plenty of ice levels which could be turned into unique stages as well as stuff like Grassland Groove or Scorch n' Torch. All this is supposing that we actually do get more stages in Ultimate, though.

If DK's stage selection is lackluster, then so is the music selection. There's far too many remixes of DK Island Swing/Jungle Japes/Jungle Hijinx/Whatever it's actually called, and not much else. And don't get me started on what they did to the DK rap. Thankfully, Ultimate looks like it's remedying this somewhat. The new Gangplank Galleon remix is fantastic, as is what we've heard of Bonus Room Blitz. However, both of these are tracks which have already been remixed in Brawl (I think Bonus Room Blitz was technically just the map theme, but close enough). I really hope they branch out more with the remaining remixes in Ultimate. Not all the tracks have to be remixed though: Tropical Freeze's OST is perfect so could just be ripped straight from the game.

In other aspects, DK representation seems to be slightly improving. The series has finally got an Assist Trophy with Klaptrap and will hopefully get a boss or two in Spirits (probably Tiki Tong or Lord Frederik). Still, some of these additions took a while to come.

Overall:
+ The DK series is finally getting more love in Ultimate, mostly in the form of K Rool
+ The roster is almost complete ... almost
- ... but it won't be complete until we get Dixie
- The stage selection is largely generic
- The music selection is limited, focusing on a narrow set of tunes

Overall DK representation probably gets a 5.5/10

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
DK's overall representation in Smash has been patchy. Roster-wise, Ultimate gave it a much-need boost with K Rool. The series now has a really diverse set of fighters, despite there only being three of them: a hard-hitting, heavyweight gorilla; a nimble chimpanzee and an obese, weapon-wielding crocodile king. Compare this, say, with Zelda, which has twice the number of reps but has three of the same character. Or Fire Emblem and its overabundance of swords. Despite DK's diversity in just three characters, however, it needs a fourth to be truly complete. As people have been saying, this is Dixie - a character whose been relevant throughout the series' history, contrasting with K Rool whose been absent in recent games. While Dixie is often suggested as an echo, this really wouldn't work for her. It'd be much better if she was a semi-clone like Isabelle, with a basis in Diddy but a DK-like recovery (helicopter hair rather than arms) and down special (hair slapping the floor). Her main distinguishing feature would of course be her hair, which is why an echo would be insufficient. Apart from Dixie, there are no other DK characters who feel essential. Cranky and Funky would be the realistic next choices, but they'd be more like a cherry on top if we ever got them.

While roster-wise the DK series is almost complete, the same can't be said for it's stage selection. The main issue is that they're very generic and essentially boil down to two themes. Much as Metroid has an overabundance of lava/acid levels in Smash, DK has too many which are either generic jungle scenes or rapid-flowing water. While there's some similarities to DK Country levels, they don't feel like they're based on anything in particular. The few exceptions are Rumble Falls (another rapid-flowing water level, and one which no one likes) and Jungle Hijinx. But neither of these levels are present in Ultimate, meaning the only DK stage which feels truly unique is the much-hated 75m. The DK series therefore really needs a new stage in Ultimate that doesn't fall into these cliches and actually feels unique. While I've seen people suggest Gangplank Galleon, we already have a pirate ship stage (two, if you count Paper Mario) and I'd rather not all of the new DK content in Ultimate focus around K Rool. It'd be better if it was based on a level from Tropical Freeze. The game has plenty of ice levels which could be turned into unique stages as well as stuff like Grassland Groove or Scorch n' Torch. All this is supposing that we actually do get more stages in Ultimate, though.

If DK's stage selection is lackluster, then so is the music selection. There's far too many remixes of DK Island Swing/Jungle Japes/Jungle Hijinx/Whatever it's actually called, and not much else. And don't get me started on what they did to the DK rap. Thankfully, Ultimate looks like it's remedying this somewhat. The new Gangplank Galleon remix is fantastic, as is what we've heard of Bonus Room Blitz. However, both of these are tracks which have already been remixed in Brawl (I think Bonus Room Blitz was technically just the map theme, but close enough). I really hope they branch out more with the remaining remixes in Ultimate. Not all the tracks have to be remixed though: Tropical Freeze's OST is perfect so could just be ripped straight from the game.

In other aspects, DK representation seems to be slightly improving. The series has finally got an Assist Trophy with Klaptrap and will hopefully get a boss or two in Spirits (probably Tiki Tong or Lord Frederik). Still, some of these additions took a while to come.

Overall:
+ The DK series is finally getting more love in Ultimate, mostly in the form of K Rool

This. You nailed my opinion. But Lanky, regardless of the memes, would bring a new and unique idea to the table in terms of character archetype as a stretchy-armed fighter, and I'd rather have him than an ARMS character.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Overall:

No truer words have ever been spoken on Smashboards. If I could give you a thousand likes sir I would. It's what us K.Rool supporters have been complaining about for years. I have stated this MANY times in the past not only on this site but other Nintendo related sites as well. For Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise Nintendo (and a lot of it's fans) sure do view the series as nothing more than a C-teir Mario spin-off series. When in fact if it wasn't for the original arcade DK game their would be NO Nintendo as we know it today. Not to mention DKC with it's revolutionary at the time graphical style not only paved the way for 3D in games but SAVED Nintendo during the SNES days from failing to the SEGA Genesis. People don't give the series enough credit and yes while the series hit a MASSIVE slump during the GCN/GBA era due to Nintendo being ignorant and not knowing what to do with the franchise once Rare left. The series now in it's current state is just as big as it was during the SNES/N64 days. Maybe not as big popularity wise (can't really capture the same feeling of the original trilogy because the graphics and sound design were revolutionary during those days) but the sales are still there.

Donkey Kong Country - 9 million
Donkey Kong Country 2 - 5 million
Donkey Kong Country 3 - 3 million
Diddy Kong Racing - 5 million
Donkey Kong 64 - 5 million

GCN/GBA/DS era hits nothing but mediocre gimmicky spin-offs, remakes/ports, and cameo appearances in Mario games. But both Konga and Konga 2 sold over a million copies.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - 6.5 million
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 2 million
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 2 million on Wii U and 1.4 million on Switch so 3.4 million in total (so far).

^ Not bad numbers at all so to see such little music, stage variety, characters, items, and assists from the series this far into the Smash series is just downright terrible. Which is why I've said their IS Sakurai "DK bias". I feel he either just doesn't think highly of the series or he is somehow unaware of how popular the series is, or well should be regarded within the Nintendo legacy/fanbase. Of course I don't blame Sakurai solely it is a LOT on Nintendo's fault as well for perceiving the DK franchise as nothing but an afterthought which makes Nintendo fans feel that the series is "meh a Mario spin-off" When Rare was with Nintendo NO ONE viewed DK as a subsection of Mario everyone viewed it as it's own thing. But once Nintendo got ahold of it stopped giving him main games for a long time and only shoved Donkey and Diddy into every Mario spin-off, kids of the GCN era only knew DK through Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, etc. It was Nintendo's fault for basically diluting the brand.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
This is what I was wondering... Candy may just be the worst recurring DK character... and I don't know if I want her to be re-written and redeemed or completely written out and forgotten ( probably the latter tbh, )

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Dixie is most certainly a must. She is the most recognizable DK character not yet playable in Smash, being in DKC2,3,TF, and plenty of spinoffs, including Mario ones. Hell, she even was the Star of DKC3, a game that sold 3 milliin copies. Im unsure wether or nit shell be an echo. Sakurai could make her a Chrom, giving her the helicotper up B, or he could go the extra mile and make her an Isabelle with a hair slam down B, hair based grabs and throws, the works. Either way I think shes in.

I chose Funky since he has been a fairly popular character since MKWII abd TF on Switch. He can be an extrrmley easy echo to implement as well.

Cranky would be a fun inclusion moveset wise, and is a very important character in the context of DK, considing he IS DK. He has been in every Country game, most of the spinoffs, and finally ebcame playable in TF. His upgrade to playable makes me think he can actually be considered for Smash.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Voted Dixie, Chunky, and Cranky, in that order. Dixie's my favorite Kong and has been my most wanted since Brawl, Chunky is my second favorite Kong and I'd love to see him make a comeback, and Cranky is both deserving and has interesting moveset potential.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Day 2! Today's topic is....

Let's get creative and give Donkey Kong a fifth special move. Ignoring what input it would be, what would be your new special for DK?

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Let's get creative and give Donkey Kong a fifth special move. Ignoring what input it would be, what would be your new special for DK?
A move where he blasts out of a barrel, with the player directing where it shoots. Could double up as an attack and a secondary recovery.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Pretty happy with K Rool, he was pretty much my 3rd most wanted actually.
The Gangplank Galleon remix is amazing

The rocket barrel/barrel jet pack thing as his new recovery.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Voted for Dixie, Lanky and Funky.

Out of all of them only Dixie needs to be added, although of course I wouldn't mind even more DK reps.

It was actually harder to choose for me than I thought. I kinda do want Chunky, Kritter or maybe even Kiddy.... haha.

I still went with the three I had originally in mind, though.

Dixie: one of the main members of DK games. Would give a new and interesting playstyle.

Lanky: I've always liked Lanky since DK64. He has some cool looking and also funny moves (imagine his nair being his DK64 aerial attack?!). Showing some love for DK64 is never a bad idea.

Funky: he's the new popular addition to DK and non-DK games I guess. Well, he was always there to help, so why not. He could have interesting moves as well with many things like his surfboard, flight-barrel, guns, etc? His voice is funny in MKWii so that would also be fun to hear during Smash haha.

As for a new special move for DK.. I think I'd like a barrel throw as his sideB instead of the headbutt (oh you said 5th, guess headbutt won't even need to be replaced then). The move was always a little weird anyway, even with the new superarmor-buff. Throwing a barrel would give him so much more options.. it could protect from projectiles (a little, though you probably couldn't spam it), give him his own projectile, another option to land with since it'll force the opponent to avoid or attack it, etc. Maybe he would hover just a little (like from sideB in the previous games) while throwing it in the air (and it falls down, maybe make him able to control the angle a little as well?!).

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think the DK series is well-represented now that King K. Rool has finally made it in. But I'd be fine seeing Dixie Kong as a playable character. She's really the only one who seems to be worth adding. She was in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, and Tropical Freeze. Not much else is to be said.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Dixie, Funky, and Cranky, I voted for them because they were in the original DKC games and they’re my favorite Kongs next to Donkey and Diddy. :grin:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Voted Dixie. We really need her to complete the roster for the DK franchise. I'm happy K Rool got in but it still looks wrong. With only Donkey, Diddy and Rool it's as if the Donkey Kong Country series never made it past 1 game or something. It would be an absolute CRIME to not acknowledge the second and third games that she played key roles in. For the love of God, just put Dixie in to properly represent the classic trilogy that rocked the SNES in terms of sales. Dixie isn't even my most wanted character, She is who I am most vocal about because I'm legitimately confused as to why she isn't in yet being a first party character from a highly influential series and all.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

I seriously think he should have some kind of barrel rolling attack. Not only is it what he's best known for in the original Arcade game, but there's lots of Barrels throwing in his SNES games as well. I would appreciate it if when he creates a Barrel, it makes the same sound when Manky Kong spawns a Barrel in the original DKC games.

The thing that would separate it from the actual Smash Bros barrels is they'd be a little smaller, can't be picked up, and roll forward at the same speed regardless of if they're on a hill or not, until they hit something or rolled off the edge. DK should be able to throw them at a slightly slower rate than Mario's fireballs.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Went for Dixie, Funky, and Cranky. Dixie and Funky would be good echos, and while Cranky is a long shot it would be a nice nod to the old DK game

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Went for Dixie; obvious, and I echo the sentiments of her being one of the last Nintendo All Stars left, Cranky due to his legacy as the original DK and Lanky because frankly he's the most interesting Kong moveset wise.

Funky may have a surfboard but Lanky can inflate himself like a balloon.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Time for day 3! Today's question is....
If you could swap out any current stage and replace it with getting Jungle Hijinxs back, would you? What stage would you remove?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
If you could swap out any current stage and replace it with getting Jungle Hijinxs back, would you? What stage would you remove?
Jungle Japes, never liked the water that could easily send you to the abyss.

Edit: I decided to get rid of 75m instead, I just forgot about that horrible stage honestly.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
If I can be totally honest I really don't like Jungle Hijinx. I'd leave it out. The background foreground switching was always super annoying to me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I just want to say that I'm not a fan of how overblown the Donkey Kong series is among the Smash fandom. Yes, I really like the games; I love the original DKC trilogy and Retro games just about equally, I was stoked for Dixie and Cranky returning for Tropical Freeze when it was announced, and I really wish the Kremlings will come back in a future sequel to Tropical Freeze.

But why do people put DK on the level of Mario and Pokémon? I have never viewed the DK series as anything more than a fairly large branch of the greater Mario franchise. The fact that the series went on hiatus after Rare's Microsoft buyout and was firm-rebooted (more than soft rebooted but less than hard rebooted) seems to show that despite its success, it's really not a particularly important franchise.

That said, I do like Cranky, Dixie, and Funky by virtue of them being the most prominent characters in DKC after Donkey Kong and Diddy. I'd like all three of them in Smash, but I think Dixie should get top priority of the remaining DK characters.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I love Jungle Hijinxs. The idea that different things could happen at both the foreground and the background really appeals to me. It really gives me a "huge chaotic fight" vibe. That being said, I'd swap it out for 75m. I get that the stage has significant relevancy, but it's just not fun to fight on. There are barely any lengthy platforms to fight on, and the only one that's suitable for a fight is littered with stage hazards. Granted, you COULD turn off their stage hazards, but it wouldn't really accurately depict Donkey Kong without them.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't get why they went with 75m and didn't go for the more iconic 25m.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'd probably swap out Kongo Jungle or Kongo Falls, as they feel the most generic. At least Jungle Japes has Cranky's Cabin.

Top Bottom