• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yeah, here's the thing.

Action games are hard.
And unless you have an extraordinarily broad range of difficulties like in Kingdom Hearts, those types of games are always going to be on the niche side.
I guess, but even if you don’t care about action games you probabky know what DMC is and who Dante is. I thought it was the same for Hayabusa, especially since he’s been around since the NES.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It is popular in Japan, but it's unreasonable to expect people who don't live there or aren't deep into it's culture to know, or even care, about Granblue.
Hence why I'm saying it's to learn about. Like, look at me, I'm a fan of incredibly iconic Japanese superheroes yet almost nobody else in the world knows about it. It's fun learning **** about media that you'd never even consider

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
God of War Art Director recreate Smash character with his own art style! How does his art work fare to you guys?
His twitter link: https://mobile.twitter.com/rafagrassetti
View attachment 185824View attachment 185823
View attachment 185822
View attachment 185825
I'm just interested in who he's drawing next....
Why is this reminding me of something?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Love people here pretending to not be weebs to justify not knowing about japanese games when they exclusively consume japanese games

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Hence why I'm saying it's to learn about.
people don't react well to something they are unfamiliar with, don't care about, or feels 'promotional' to them

Granblue getting into Smash would be Corrin 2.0, let's face it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
people don't react well to something they are unfamiliar with, don't care about, or feels 'promotional' to them

Means absolutely **** all to my point. Why the **** are people seeing "Wow there's so much **** that seems obvious that we don't know, myself included!" and thinking I'm calling them out lol

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
How do you pronounce your name?

I've been saying "Shish-see" but I feel like that's wrong.
I've been calling him Shi-shoo
It's only now, where I'm seeing a C
So in that case, it'll be controversial at first, then people will realize that they have a fun and unique move set...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally I had heard of granblue and knew that it was a big gacha game but I knew nothing else bout itt before Hitagi mentioned Katalina. I’d imagine it’s a s imilar story for most people. Wouldn’t say I’m particularly enlightened by knowing more about it now but it’s neat I guess.

D

Deleted member

*laughs in Mother 3*
Mother 3 is a different case, it's an entry in a cult classic franchise that earned it's status mostly due to word of mouth and memes. It wouldn't be nearly as well-known if "WHEN MOTHER 3 REGGIE" never became a thing.
Hence why I'm saying it's to learn about. Like, look at me, I'm a fan of incredibly iconic Japanese superheroes yet almost nobody else in the world knows about it. It's fun learning **** about media that you'd never even consider
Fair enough, but when you're putting it next to examples of people not knowing how incredibly huge Doom, Dragon Quest, and Ninja Gaiden are, you're framing it as if it's something we should already know.

D

Deleted member

How do you pronounce your name?

I've been saying "Shish-see" but I feel like that's wrong.
"Shi-shô", "Shi-show" and "Shi-shoe" are all acceptable pronounciations.
I've been calling him Shish-shoo
It's only now, where I'm seeing a C

So in that case, it'll be controversial at first, then people will realize that they have a fun and unique move set...
Yeah, that too, but just "shi-shoo". There's only two "sh"s :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Mother 3 is a different case, it's an entry in a cult classic franchise that earned it's status mostly due to word of mouth and memes. It wouldn't be nearly as well-known if "WHEN MOTHER 3 REGGIE" never became a thing.

Fair enough, but when you're putting it next to examples of people not knowing how incredibly huge Doom, Dragon Quest, and Ninja Gaiden are, you're framing it as if it's something we should already know.
I suppose I could have separated those better, yeah. Also, I'm calling myself out for Ninja Gaiden lol

Fane

Smash Journeyman
possibly, but considering Corrin WAS from a series already represented, meaning it had been known to Smash players previously, the backlash could be even worse with Granblue resulting in it being far more controversial and received far more poorly for non-Japanese fans.

edit: in other words, it could be pretty bad and the backlash could last much longer than we saw with Corrin

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Mark my words, Mother 3 will come to the west.

We'll all be dead by then, but it'll happen.
"In celebration of it's 200th anniversary, we've officially decided to finally release Mother 3 here in the West, in 2206. Your ancestors waited long for this one, so you guys, better buy it"

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You could turn this into a YouTube channel and get like, maybe 30K subscribers at best.
I've had irl friends suggest this, but ultimately Youtube is a horrible platform for up and coming creators and I'd never have enough time for it really.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

osby

Smash Obsessed
Mark my words, Mother 3 will come to the west.

We'll all be dead by then, but it'll happen.
Speak for yourself, I'll live forever.

possibly, but considering Corrin WAS from a series already represented, meaning it had been known to Smash players previously, the backlash could be even worse with Granblue resulting in it being far more controversial and received far more poorly for non-Japanese fans.

edit: in other words, it could be pretty bad and the backlash could last much longer than we saw with Corrin
What I'm getting from this is that Smash fandom is very close-minded about new things, which isn't exactly hot news.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Honestly, Granblue in Smash, with the current way it is, feels like one of those cases where you're trying to force a square piece into a circular hole of a puzzle.

Corrin, arguably the most controversial Smash inclusion to date, still had more things going for him at least. He was a rep for a well known series, brought nice enough new things to the table, and at least didn't feel completely out of nowhere, since his series isn't nearly as nestled deep down.

Granblue just feels like it takes more work to justify, given its lack of worldwide appeal, been-there-done-that aesthetics, and it's a mobile gacha series sporting a character that most people didn't know or want until some leak that went bust came along.

Basically, Granblue, until it makes more of a name for itself, feels like a choice that would get even more scorn than Corrin did, and for not a great net result.

Even Erdrick at least has the fact that DQ has a notable enough presence world wide. And the infamy of gacha games doesn't help either. It also doesn't help that Granblue is one of those cases where the players have to do more research just to get them. I mean, in the case where it's not that well known or readily available.

Like, why even bother with the controversy at that point?

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Honestly, Granblue in Smash, with current way it is, feels like one of those cases where you're trying to force a square piece into a circular hole of a puzzle.

Corrin, arguably the most controversial Smash inclusion to date, still had more things going for him at least. He was a rep for a well known series, brought nice enough new things to the table, and at least didn't feel completely out of nowhere, since his series isn't nearly as nestled deep down.

Granblue just feels like it takes more work to justify, given its lack of worldwide appeal, been-there-done-that aesthetics, and it's a mobile gacha series sporting a character that most people didn't know or want until some leak that went bust came along.

Basically, Granblue, until it makes more of a name for itself, feels like a choice that would get even more scorn than Corrin did, and for not a great net result.

Even Erdrick at least has the fact that DQ has a notable enough presence world wide. And the infamy of gacha games doesn't help either. It also doesn't help that Granblue is one of those cases where the players have to do more research just to get them. I mean, in the case where it's not that well known or readily available.

Like, why even bother with the controversy at that point?
Granblue wouldn’t even get this much flack of possibly getting in if it was a relatively known console/handler series in both Japan and West even if it’s more popular in the other region.

We’re talking about a Japan only mobile game, at that point people would find excuses to why Katalina is a logical inclusion, but if they end up liking her then that’s cool.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, this is why I enjoy these unique characters. It helps introduce other series to people. Not living in your own Smash Bubble is great. I knew nothing about Xenoblade as is when I heard of Shulk through the Gematsu leaks. I don't know a ton about it, but I learned enough and appreciate Shulk and his fun moveset.

...I just don't like his stage. Gaur Plains is annoying. Especially as Ganondorf.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I've had irl friends suggest this, but ultimately Youtube is a horrible platform for up and coming creators and I'd never have enough time for it really.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's right...

VIMEO TIME

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
All I'll say here is...

No matter who gets added, there'll be a non-insignificant number of people calling them a literal who. Simple - a lot of people tend to only stick to a few games/franchises and don't get out much. On the other hand, there'll be people shouting them down calling them the most logical addition ever, and almost vilifying anyone who doesn't agree.

Getting your favorite character in Smash is a huge deal, as we're all showing. But it seems we think much more about the reasons a character is added than anyone on the dev team is. After all, the last few pages of why Doomguy is a great addition (legacy, being the founder of an entire genre, memeticness, etc.) are good reasons ... but Joker and Persona 5 can't say those things about itself. Still, Joker's in, and the feeling around the boards is that anyone who thinks it's a bad inclusion is horribly wrong.

I don't really have a point here - I'm just making an observation that our arguments on characters who 'deserve' to be in Smash tend to get heated since people like to take opinions as fact. We all do live in our own little bubbles, so someone not having played a certain game does not mean that they've got an invalid outlook. It's not a crime if someone doesn't like a character for some superficial reason. Besides, opinions can change over time...think of the number of people who dislike a character at first, but start to like them after seeing them in action.

D

Deleted member

Semi-unrletaed, but I was looking through the NeoGaf thread from 2006 about Brawl’s announcement, just after IGN had reported that Snake was in. This was one of the comments
“Same here, hell Viewtiful Joe, Cloud, and Pac-Man could all be in their if Snake is.

Who can say?”
Viewtiful Joe confirmed?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It's fun learning **** about media that you'd never even consider
Which is one of the main reasons the loss of Trophy descriptions hurts. Very few people are gonna care enough to go google some obscure character to find out why e.g. Ness' Dad is a telephone represented by invisible Snake.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Granblue wouldn’t even get this much flack of possibly getting in if it was a relatively known console/handler series in both Japan and West even if it’s more popular in the other region.

We’re talking about a Japan only mobile game, at that point people would find excuses to why Katalina is a logical inclusion, but if they end up liking her then that’s cool.
Indeed. Let me put it like this. I see people put down Phoenix Wright, Neku, or other supposedly "obscure" picks who have their legs already in the door on console, handheld and even mobile, but when they get to making excuses for Katalina, Japanese and mobile exclusive that she is, those go out the window.
is it true? according to IGN the remaining DLC characters got leaked
If they're talking about the 5chan leaks, then you can rest easy knowing it isn't.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
We know there's Brave who's absolutely Erdrick but there's a rumour that's called some stuff claiming Steve, Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy. Obvious'y it's just a rumour though
And one that's starting to look more like a piggyback, given that the doom guy bit was apparently heard from reddit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We know there's Brave who's absolutely Erdrick but there's a rumour that's called some stuff claiming Steve, Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy. Obvious'y it's just a rumour though
The rumor seems to be piggybacking off it.

Which is one of the main reasons the loss of Trophy descriptions hurts. Very few people are gonna care enough to go google some obscure character to find out why e.g. Ness' Dad is a telephone represented by invisible Snake.
So true. Though some are easier to get than others. Mario suddenly becoming metal from a poison-related creature in Pikmin? Not much to think of. Metal Mario is immune to poisonous gas in Super Mario 64, so it might be as simple as that.

Ness' Dad's Phone is more obvious if you know the series. He never shows up, so it works as a great in-joke, which fits Mother's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom