• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
>the success of an indie game initially made by one guy that rose to prominence through nothing but word of mouth over the course of nearly 5 years before MS bought it up in 2014 is just the product of soulless corporate marketing

you are giving notch way too much credit with that description. even if its true he is a man that should not be described in positive ways

a more accurate way to describe him is as a guy who got so much money he made a candy room in his house for guests, but ended up being such a massive asshole that nobody wanted to come over so he had to eat all the candy he didn't actually like by himself before it expired

D

Deleted member

I find the placeholder date for the Fighter Packs humorous.

1/1/2030,

Imagine.

Sakurai: Look I've put in a lot of work already. I'm just gonna take a nap. First.
Nintendo: How long?
Sakurai: I think 11 years will be quite fine.
The story of Rip Van Sakurai will be interesting.

While he was gone, other developers took control of the project. One of the first things they did was they went against Sakurai's wishes and made Waluigi playable.

kylexv

Smash Master
Wut.

I thought PP was dead last, and the only character that Incineroar outpaces.
There's conflicting sources, but the source that had the character attributes for Joker and "Brave" also had attributes for P L A N T, and they said it's almost as fast as Mario.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
wait can someone explain to me whats going on i was out for the entire day

character leak? how is this person getting stats for these characters??

Shroob

Sup?

The stats were in the base game, meaning that these 3 were worked on for some time before the game launched.

Double K

Smash Lord

Someone did datamining and found a bunch of codenames. 3 confirmed are DLC characters

Pakkun
Jack
Brave

The first two are Piranha Plant (Pakkun is oftentims used as a nickname for it) and Joker (Card joke, probably?)

Brave due to prior 'leaks' of Erdrick makes everyone assume such

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm surprised no one has hacked into the game yet if there were any characters considered or scrapped. I'm aware Sakurai said there were no cuts but I'm still rather curious never the less.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
So are you intentionally missing the point or actually not getting that I'm trying to say that Sakurai almost certainly was told by Nintendo to put Corrin in and just PR-lingo'd it

Internal Analysis almost always refers to one of three things

1) Marketing (A new product will be released so lets put it on sale)
2) Demographic checks (Statistics show this demographic primarily plays the game)
3) Popularity (Audiences are interested in this thing more than that thing)

If Sakurai actually wanted to put Corrin into Smash from the getgo as DLC, he wouldn't have had to say that it was "Internal Analysis" that lead to the decision
He said he didn't want to put Corrin in already. He in fact said he didn't want ANY further FE character for DLC until his team convinced him on Corrin.

But again he flat out said NINTENDO, not internal analysis, Nintendo, had chosen the characters he picked from for this game. Which contradicts your argument that Sakurai would for some reason want to hide their involvement for things like that. Which casts doubt on that explanation for Corrin.

WHY would he want or have to hide their involvement there and just be casually, "yeah they picked them" here? He has shown that he is perfectly willing to say if Nintendo is involved with a decision here, what reasoning is there for him to hide any involvement from them last time around?
This is something you keep dodging and have given no explanation for.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
This situation is making me double down on Erdrick/a DQ rep, plus I bet Square withheld FF songs from the base game to be included with Erdrick so that they could get a more direct share of the profit. Though I do worry that we could be stretching "brave" too far across such a huge language barrier, is the text from the code translated or is it literally "brave"?

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I just realized that not only does a potted plant be heavier than a Japanese teenager, but he's also has a recovery like k rools, but unlike him, you can actually control it everywhere.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There is literally no reason to assume Steve or Doomguy are planned.

That leak, i’m telling you, is bull. Erdrick does not substantiate it. Erdrick has been hinted at by other leakers (not just Verg) for months.

If you like Minecraft Steve that’s great, but just a fair warning that it probably isn’t true. I’m not going super deep with it but:

1) The source who said Steve was in is a one trick pony. It’s the only person to suggest it, and the information over time hasn’t been clear.

2) This source is not the same person who has leaked Dragon Quest in Smash.

3) Once again, Steve has not shown up in files. We only have Joker and Erdrick. You could make the argument that he’s not ready yet, but wouldn’t that go directly against what leakers have said? They would have seen a boss, yes? They would have seen proof of Steve, yes?

Or... the leaker is seeking attention and is a liar?

Believe what you want, i’m calling it now that he’s not in.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I go to sleep early for once and the game gets datamined.

I just realized that not only does a potted plant be heavier than a Japanese teenager, but he's also has a recovery like k rools, but unlike him, you can actually control it everywhere.
:ultgnw: is 2D and still not the lightest fighter.

D

Deleted member

you guys know what's brave? fighting somebody who's killed literally everyone else in the world

aw_yeh.jpg

Shroob

Sup?
But for real.

I know people haven't said it for awhile, but will this finally put to bed the "Sakurai doesn't work on DLC until after the game is finished" crap?

We know Piranha Plant was deep into development, and in a playable state, in September, and now we have our first two DLC character's stats laid out for us.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
a fake leak getting a widely speculated character right isn't even a wrong clock being right twice a day, its someone actually just manually moving the clock hands to whatever time it is

R O F L

Smash Ace
Also unlike K. Rool's, it doesn't have a hitbox above him :(
Or maybe it does, but that'd be weird considering the animation.

Graizen

Smash Champion
"My codename is 'Brave'"
"I have a run speed similar to Young Link's"
"I can't wall jump"
"My weight is between Mega Man and Cloud"
"I do not have a rapid jab"
"I have a fall speed similar to Charizard's, but a fast fall speed identical to Falco"

This is like playing a game of Who am I.

Also it's odd that half the cast is slower than a potted plant.
Agumon

"I can't wall jump"
All forms

Greymon

All forms

"I have a fall speed similar to Charizard's,
MetalGreymon

but a fast fall speed identical to Falco"
WarGreymon / MetalGreymon

You can't see a complete character status
Becouse this could be used for various forms

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Agumon

"I can't wall jump"
All forms

Greymon

All forms

MetalGreymon

listen man i think you're taking this to an obsession and that isnt healthy

Double K

Smash Lord
He said he didn't want to put Corrin in already. He in fact said he didn't want ANY further FE character for DLC until his team convinced him on Corrin.

But again he flat out said NINTENDO, not internal analysis, Nintendo, had chosen the characters he picked from for this game. Which contradicts your argument that Sakurai would for some reason want to hide their involvement for things like that. Which casts doubt on that explanation for Corrin.

WHY would he want or have to hide their involvement there and just be casually, "yeah they picked them" here? He has shown that he is perfectly willing to say if Nintendo is involved with a decision here, what reasoning is there for him to hide any involvement from them last time around?
This is something you keep dodging and have given no explanation for.
Stop

stop

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot.
except your words that startede this stupid argument were as follows

Um...isn't the thing being referenced from Sakurai himself? Where was it stated that "Nintendo" wanted anything there? It sounds like wanting a character from an upcoming game was a decision by the team making the game, including Sakurai. Im not sure why it's being framed as something they were being forced to do.
Pick your goddamn point.

Internal Analysis has a VERY clear meaning in development and PR talk terms and they are relatively close. It means "people involved gravitated towards this"

I responded to you with a very simple post

"Internal Analysis is often PR Friendly code of saying "Higher Ups told us"

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Still don't see how Edrick would be unique and different...

Also he doesn't seem like a wild card pick as Joker was.

D

Deleted member

honestly if you pretend that leaks dont exist for a hot second erdrick would be a decently surprising pick

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Agumon

"I can't wall jump"
All forms

Greymon

All forms

MetalGreymon

FINALLY, we are getting Keldeo. About damn time.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I mean, yeah, but Joker is literally a Wild Card in P5. I can't think up many other characters who fits the bill.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I remain skeptical on the leaks beyond DQ, but if it's really Joker, Erdrick, Doomguy, Ninja Gaiden Ryu and someone else....I am the opposite of hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom