• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Starbound, you and I both know when he pulled the SE rep out of his *** in August we were all blindsided by it since no one else was talking about it at the time.
I’ll hop in on this.

Other people suggested it. It’s not a lucky guess.

As usual, Verg reports stuff he trusts based on who the source is. He’ll say the stuff himself while other keep their mouths shut. That’s how it works.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Alright I found the list reguarding those two tweets I posted
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Looks like you doomguy and steve fans will get your wish

D

Deleted member

- Kirby character
- FE character
- Pokemon character
- Xenoblade X character
- Octolings
- Daemon X Machina (AKA bootleg Guts #3 :ultcloud::ultike:) this one's being slept on hard
- Waluigi
So what you're saying is CGI Berserk is getting in, gotcha. :denzel:

I don’t believe Insiders got BTFO. They held firm that the Grinch leak was fake and they were right.

If you’re referring to Joker, that doesn’t really qualify as getting BTFO either. Nobody, from what I know, said Joker wasn’t in. It just meant they didn’t know about it.

It’s the same thing as the Brawl leak. Two different leakers had different info, thought the other leaker was full of it, yet both were correct in the end.

Not having all the information =\= having worthless information.
Nah mate, I meant about the night during the VGAs, not about the Grinch Leak. "Square rep would be revealed first" and all that.

Shroob

Sup?
I’ll hop in on this.

Other people suggested it. It’s not a lucky guess.

As usual, Verg reports stuff he trusts based on who the source is. He’ll say the stuff himself while other keep their mouths shut. That’s how it works.
Mate, don't forget I was there, lol. I was confused as much as the rest of you when suddenly he said "SE rep".

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If we do get Dragon Quest, I hope we at least see Square being more generous than they were with FF when it comes to music. Though given their composer's nationalist agenda, I'm doubtful they'll be generous.

That's the primary reason I want Bravely Default instead. That soundtrack is banger.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I believe that this leak has been brought up before in this thread. Consensus seems to be that it's either fake or impossible to confirm as of now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Mate, don't forget I was there, lol. I was confused as much as the rest of you when suddenly he said "SE rep".
Believe me, I didn’t forget. All i’m saying is that it wasn’t a lucky guess.

And that Steve is bull****.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
I believe that this leak has been brought up before in this thread. Consensus seems to be that it's either fake or impossible to confirm as of now.
I mean, it seems to be lining up with the recent datamine, as brave could relate to one of the characters. Nothing is confirmed, obviously, but it's good to consider

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've seen this several times, and they say it landed before Joker.

Gotta say, it looks pretty legit. Even though lists with reasoning are usually instant crap, these reasons are all perfectly in line with what a company would want to do. Just the fact that the big leakers are looking into it is intriguing.

I'm definitely getting the sinking feeling I got from the ESRB leak from this set. Congrats guys, but if the DLC is gonna be three of my most anti-hype characters and two literal unknowns in my eyes....I'm glad I didn't go for that pack.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
You're correct about that quote. Sakurai sought out a character from an upcoming game, and Fates happened to have the right window of opportunity.

But notice how he never said he wanted to cross-promote the game? Who's to say Corrin couldn't have been picked on his/her own merits? Especially with all the emphasis on being a shapeshifter, something that'd never been done in Smash before!

The cross-promotion angle is from speculators and disappointed fans deciding it was the Only Possible Explanation.
It's a result of basic reading comprehension, not rage. I'm saying this as someone who was actually excited for Corrin.

"After internal analysis we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game" = a marketing-based pick. That's just basic common sense. You're forced to pick a character from an upcoming game? You're doing so to market the character and game. Fates' release timing itself is even mentioned as being ideal.

Corrin wasn't picked on their own merits, Corrin was picked because Nintendo wanted a marketing rep and Fates' release timing was deemed ideal. Sakurai was initially against their inclusion until he was convinced of their moveset potential.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
Wait, what if that possibly fake leak with codename Ryu isn't Hayabusa

Instead it means Dragon

as in Dragon of Dojima?

Coulda said the same thing about Snake or Bayonetta.
Isabelle survived Bayo's umbran climax

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's a shame that Brave probably refers to a Dragon Quest rep because a Bravely Default rep would be way more exciting. The series is actually popular outside of Japan, the composer isn't an asshole and it'd tie into BD and Octopath being darkhorse SQ releases on Nintendo consoles.

D

Deleted member

Is Eight still likely?

Or has he been deconfirmed and i can go back to sleep?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's no way we're going to see doomguy fighting against characters like isabelle and pikachu with his chainsaw and super shotgun
Of course not.
He'd team up with them, seeing as he wanted to avenge the death of his rabbit.

Double K

Smash Lord
Ok, then i can go back to sleep...

*Cries from sadness*
Now while Erdrick could be the default there is a chance they'll be "Hero" or "Dragon Warrior" and other protags will be skins

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I've seen this several times, and they say it landed before Joker.

Gotta say, it looks pretty legit. Even though lists with reasoning are usually instant crap, these reasons are all perfectly in line with what a company would want to do. Just the fact that the big leakers are looking into it is intriguing.

I'm definitely getting the sinking feeling I got from the ESRB leak from this set. Congrats guys, but if the DLC is gonna be three of my most anti-hype characters and two literal unknowns....I'm glad I didn't go for that pack.
I'd be curious to know which two qualify as "literal unknowns"; Persona 5 got enough love in the West that it was even nominated for GOTY at last year's VGAs, Dragon Quest is the first big JRPG and prints money in Japan, the OG Ninja Gaiden games are famous for both their difficulty and having something resembling an okay plot in the 8-bit days (with the reboot titles being damn solid hack and slashes that managed to hold their own during the height of DMC), Steve repping the second most played videogame in existence behind only Tetris, and Doom Marine being from one of the first big games in the shooter genre period while having a recent revival.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Current opinion on Isabelle:
View attachment 185463
"NO. MORE. FISHING."
Wow. Uhh... I'm surprised fanart of this even exists. Did you draw it? If so, well-****ing-done, even if I don't agree with the subject matter :,v

That or you went on a drawthread and asked someone to create this beautiful atrocity.

There's no way we're going to see doomguy fighting against characters like isabelle and pikachu with his chainsaw and super shotgun
I'll play Devil's Advocate here since quite a few are mentioning other M-Rated characters: What Snorkel is probably referring to is Doom's grittiness vs. the likes of Joker, Bayonetta, and Snake, which have an air of campiness to each of them to cancel out the adult subject matter in their games. Doomguy's hyperviolent machismo might seem a bit "grunge" in their eyes, hence the dissonance in having him in Smash.

I think Doomguy can still work and be portrayed with some slapstick in mind, so I'm not against his (possible) inclusion. The most exciting picks out of this list are Joker and Hyabusa for me. Hopefully, whatever the actual line-up could be (if this one isn't it) is exciting enough to warrant future DLC.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I played the first BD and questioned myself how a person would force themselves to like repeating the same chapter 4 times

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'd be curious to know which two qualify as "literal unknowns"; Persona 5 got enough love in the West that it was even nominated for GOTY at last year's VGAs, Dragon Quest is the first big JRPG and prints money in Japan, the OG Ninja Gaiden games are famous for both their difficulty and having something resembling an okay plot in the 8-bit days (with the reboot titles being damn solid hack and slashes that managed to hold their own during the height of DMC), Steve repping the second most played videogame in existence behind only Tetris, and Doom Marine being from one of the first big games in the shooter genre period while having a recent revival.
Literal unknowns to me. I don't know every game in existence.

Shroob

Sup?
Wow. Uhh... I'm surprised fanart of this even exists. Did you draw it? If so, well-****ing-done, even if I don't agree with the subject matter :,v

That or you went on a drawthread and asked someone to create this beautiful atrocity.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here since quite a few are mentioning other M-Rated characters: What Snorkel is probably referring to is Doom's grittiness vs. the likes of Joker, Bayonetta, and Snake, which have an air of campiness to each of them to cancel out the adult subject matter in their games. Doomguy's hyperviolent machismo might seem a bit "grunge" in their eyes, hence the dissonance in having him in Smash.

I think Doomguy can still work and be portrayed with some slapstick in mind, so I'm not against his (possible) inclusion. The most exciting picks out of this list are Joker and Hyabusa for me. Hopefully, whatever the actual line-up is if this one isn't it is exciting enough to warrant future DLC.
I mean, Doom IS campy, but less in the "Haha funny joke" kinda way and moreso in the "HOLY **** I BLEW THAT GUY'S **** OFF" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom