• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I didn't say there weren't a lot of supports, what I was saying is that each character only gets 4 convos with a character in Fates, and that they are not all that romantic unless they're S Rank convos.

My point is that people over exaggerate the amount of focus FE gives to romance. It is there, but it is not the core like some say, which was all I was saying.
I shall reiterate for you in case it's still a difficult thing to comprehend for some people.

Support conversations are only necessary for child units and are optional past that unless you really wanna powercreep. (and if you want so save Kade, I don't get why they did that)

You need 4 support conversations between characters that are applicable for an S rank support level to get one.

Ergo, what Mr. Wario means is that there are only about 4 necessary support conversations (for each female in awakening and male in fates).

Hope that helps.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Sacred Stones and FE7 actually have a ton of fantastic characters if you're able to actually read most of their supports, which 90% of players won't since the early support system was a pain in the rear to grind up. Bonus points to SS for having non-romantic paired endings for a lot of characters.

A lot of FE games also do a good job at world building, and often times the world building itself is the real draw as opposed to the story. Fates kind of brushed over a lot of it but Echoes, while having a less then stellar story itself, shows that they've still got it in the character and world building department.

D

Deleted member

All I can say is I dread how the fanbase of Fire Emblem will handle Three Houses release, especially if it's anything like Awakening and Fates.

D

Deleted member

All I can say is I dread how the fanbase of Fire Emblem will handle Three Houses release, especially if it's anything like Awakening and Fates.
I dunno how good it will be either, but at least the main theme is pretty lit.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I dunno how good it will be either, but at least the main theme is pretty lit.
I'm still waiting for its full version, it's been months.

I personally hope it'll be its own thing. I loved Awakening but when Fates tried to replicate what fans liked in it, it didn't worked out.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm cautiously optimistic. There are zero red flags so far in the one trailer we have so far. Once we see anything hinting at exploding clothes or shoehorned in children characters then I'll start worrying, but until then I'm trying not to stress over it.

It's worth noting that Echoes's release was pretty well received overall, which is probably where my optimism comes from. Especially since Three Houses seems to be taking a few pages from Echoes's book with combat arts and possibly even dungeon or town traversal.
I personally hope it'll be its own thing. I loved Awakening but when Fates tried to replicate what fans liked in it, it didn't worked out.
It looks like they removed pair up, which is proof enough to me that it won't try too hard to be Awakening. Although I actually think pair up itself was handled really well in Fates.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sacred Stones and FE7 actually have a ton of fantastic characters if you're able to actually read most of their supports, which 90% of players won't since the early support system was a pain in the rear to grind up. Bonus points to SS for having non-romantic paired endings for a lot of characters.

A lot of FE games also do a good job at world building, and often times the world building itself is the real draw as opposed to the story. Fates kind of brushed over a lot of it but Echoes, while having a less then stellar story itself, shows that they've still got it in the character and world building department.
It still baffles me that Fates is the only game in the franchise in which we don't even know the name of the continent it takes place on.

The fact that we already know the Three Houses continent is called Fódlan is an immediate improvement when it comes to world building.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Being like Awakening is a good thing.
Being like Fates is a worse ending for any aspect that isn't Conquest's gameplay design.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Fire Emblem was never good at story telling aside from Ike's games. They got lucky with Tellius.
Even with Tellius they just kind of fumble through Radiant Dawn a bit, like there are still a lot of good things there, but there are also a fair few things that aren't properly explained or fleshed out (which I don't want to get into too much to avoid having to discuss too many spoilers). The lack of proper Support conversations is also disheartening as side characters don't really get the chance to shine, the old side characters just feel like their roles have been diminished while the newer ones never even get a chance.

Overall it's still a good story, but Path of Radiance definitely did the heavy lifting imo, the things that are good about Radiant Dawn's story are mostly the things its predecessor set up for it.

Same can be applied to petty semantic arguments.

The general gist of my own opinion is that there shouldn't be elitism in a single-player driven franchise like Fire Emblem to begin with. People being judgmental towards others for having a preference outside of their own bubble are plentiful for no good reason within the Fire Emblem fandom, and it gets tiresome to be a part of.

It doesn't matter why people enjoy modern or old FE, because how people enjoy their games doesn't affect anyone else. It's when people attack others on a personal level for their preference, which for some reason started as soon as Awakening got popular, that I find the overall fanbase has a larger issue than if a petting minigame exists somewhere or not.

So the whole "I'm gonna say you're wrong because you used a word I can use in a strawman-like context" thing doesn't work. Sorry.
Going around and saying stuff like that the older games are being held on a nostalgia-driven pedestal only serves to fuel the flames though, I agree with the overall point that elitism in a fanbase is bad, and that it's especially silly when it concerns a single player franchise like FE, but responding with criticism towards the newer stuff by criticizing the old stuff is absolutely not the way to go about it, it only serves to sour the mood even further.

My post wasn't so much about any of that though, not every reply is trying to put an end to the whole argument, it was more so to refute the particular point that the older FE games depend a lot on nostalgia. Of course nostalgia will always be a factor with older games and their reputation, but I don't think that's where the core appeal lies with them, they're just great games, and it's natural for some to prefer them as the modern style is quite different.

People are not wrong for preferring different games, but I agree that being a douchebag to others over differing opinions is wrong.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm cautiously optimistic. There are zero red flags so far in the one trailer we have so far. Once we see anything hinting at exploding clothes or shoehorned in children characters then I'll start worrying, but until then I'm trying not to stress over it.

It's worth noting that Echoes's release was pretty well received overall, which is probably where my optimism comes from. Especially since Three Houses seems to be taking a few pages from Echoes's book with combat arts and possibly even dungeon or town traversal.
It looks like they removed pair up, which is proof enough to me that it won't try too hard to be Awakening. Although I actually think pair up itself was handled really well in Fates.
I mean, I want to be optimistic, but it's Intelligence Systems we're talking about here, so who knows what'll happen.
B-B-B-But Doomguy is too violent for Smash!

View attachment 184849
*laughs in Bayonetta*

Graizen

Smash Champion
Someone asked me about Agumon's inclusion in Smash, well...

I want him , but i think he will not enter Smash.

Smash already have a monster game represented, the BIG one, they don't need another.

But i love the character and the series , so i support him.

^_^

osby

Smash Obsessed
Someone asked me about Agumon's inclusion in Smash, well...

I want him , but i think he will not enter Smash.

Smash already have a monster game represented, the BIG one, they don't need another.

But i love the character and the series , so i support him.

^_^
We got multiple franchises from same genre. I don't want Digimon in Smash but it's not like there's a quota to be filled.

The only characters I see online are Pichu, K. Rool, Cloud, and generic anime swordsmen.

And here I was hoping people would be more diverse than Smash 4's online.
Cloud must be happy that you don't consider him a generic anime swordman.

D

Deleted member

Going around and saying stuff like that the older games are being held on a nostalgia-driven pedestal only serves to fuel the flames though, I agree with the overall point that elitism in a fanbase is bad, and that it's especially silly when it concerns a single player franchise like FE, but responding with criticism towards the newer stuff by criticizing the old stuff is absolutely not the way to go about it, it only serves to sour the mood even further.
Thing is, that whole elitism problem stems exactly from a lot of people saying the new games suck because you aren't forced to play it like it was one of the older games. I never particularly criticized the old games to begin with, but rather the people who holds the older games to a way-too-high regard. And the argument usually ends up being "well, if they like these new and different games too much, they might not like the old games that I like", which is just a desperate attempt at mental gymnastics.

That really is it. I didn't enjoy Fates that much either. I didn't even complete Birthright. My favorite is still Awakening, and my first FE was our first localized GBA title dubbed Fire Emblem in EU which I enjoyed ok enough until I realized that my playthrough was ruined because I didn't restart my console enough times. I can also come up with many issues that I may have with Awakening, but the discussion isn't really about me making lists anyway.

So I mean, yeah, you're kinda misunderstanding my point. It's not about old games versus new games, it's about the hypocritical standards that people are trying to apply within the franchise. It's dumb people that's the issue here, not which game is being criticized in general. That is what I mean about a nostalgia-driven pedestal. Not the old games being garbage (aside from not aligning with my preferences at all), but rather that people insist that the franchise should go backwards and not gain a new identity through a normally expected franchise development.

D

Deleted member

If Fire Emblem fans want a strategy game with a good story, play Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together.

D

Deleted member

I don’t see the point in trying to write for 30+ characters like Fire Emblem does. Seems like it’d be too much to write.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Fire Emblem was never good at story telling aside from Ike's games. They got lucky with Tellius.
Eh, I'd say Marth's games and Thracia 776 were also pretty good, with some like FE4 having great moments within their stories as well. As for Tellius, as much as I love Radiant Dawn I'd place it more alongside FE4 then PoR since it has great moments like Part 2 and characters like Pelleas, but some pretty poor ones like the Blood Pact in its entirety.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is this our new Smash rivalry? Bayonetta duking it out with Doomguy because he kills demons?
TFW you've been slaying hellspawn demons since the 1980s but Doomguy gets all the credit.
image.jpeg

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So gone are the days of the laggy For Glory Link who spams projectiles and evasive rolls, and now are the days of the laggy quickplay Wolf who spams blaster and evasive jumps.

Online is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom