• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I dunno. We're talking about a ginger that has the CRAZY TALK stand, and when he's right, which is never, I don't see it as "unnecessary".

"Harsh" as it may sound, I totally agree. If you need a broken controller to win, you aren't that good. If you need to succeed on unintended bugs to win, then you did not deserve to win EVO, if that's the difference between winning or losing EVO.

I for one, find it amazing that Smash 4 and Melee players are confuzzled with Ultimate, and that is an actual word I'm working on to get legalized on dictionaries.
I think that in the scenario, he is right, but he clearly has a huge bias towards the game and the scene in general. I've seen this video before and it seems as if he doesn't have a clear grasp or understanding of Melee

He has a right to his opinion, mind you, but still.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I gotta say, I love how Leffen says that "guys, I'm not saying this stuff because I hate Ultimate, quite the opposite" when it comes to first impressions of Ultimate. If history speaks itself, I am certain that him, Mang0 and most Melee players are gonna just drop this after the second month.

I might have to bring out the one time AngriestPat's CRAZY TALK stand worked for the better. :dazwa:
It's almost like it's not Melee, and they know it will never be Melee, but still complain it isn't Melee.

If someone wants Melee, just go play Melee. There will never, ever be a new Smash that is even remotely like it ever again, so why do people keep expecting each new game to suddenly be Melee again?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
thank ****ing god, you think so too?
I'm not to into vocal versions of themes like that either. Though most of the main menu themes get kind of grating after a while, same with Pokemon battle themes.

That said, most of the other music in the series is real heat.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
My only problem with Lifelight is the lyrical meter at certain points in the song. Certain parts make it painfully obvious it wasn't originally written in English. Looking at you, "our tomorrow."

Other than that I like it, cheese and all.
Only real problem with Lifelight is that it ends

D

Deleted member

I think that in the scenario, he is right, but he clearly has a huge bias towards the game and the scene in general. I've seen this video before and it seems as if he doesn't have a clear grasp or understanding of Melee

He has a right to his opinion, mind you, but still.
Well keep in mind, Pat thinks Melee "is a great game, but the people make it trash", which is absolutely fair. Think of it as someone, kinda like me a bit, who's an outsider that sometimes is in the know, but huge fan of Smash.

If you have to rely on your tools being non-standard to everyone else's in a way to give you an advantage, that is cheating. That pretty much is the whole basis of his thoughts, and what I also kinda share, too.

Do I think Smash shouldn't be at EVO? Of course not, there are so many games there that Smash feels right there. But do I see why people might not want Smash or Smash-related stuff at EVO, of course. It's sad and sometimes volatile at times, but they ain't wrong some of the time, either.

It's almost like it's not Melee, and they know it will never be Melee, but still complain it isn't Melee.

If someone wants Melee, just go play Melee. There will never, ever be a new Smash that is even remotely like it ever again, so why do people keep expecting each new game to suddenly be Melee again?
It's almost as if Melee was never intended for competitive play nor turning off 80% of the game, bending the game into a competitive format. :4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Oh, arguing about opinions and taste? Fun! Lemme try:

Uhh...This thing is the worst, and if you disagree, you're wrong 'cause I'm right! Popular things are bad! Everything you like sucks!

did i do it right? do i get those sweet, sweet likes now? :4pacman:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I dont care if you dis Lifelight. I really don't.

Now if you dis the Brawl theme song imma go full Dash Attack Luigi and start throwing hands.
Mother ****ing perfection.

D

Deleted member

Well keep in mind, Pat thinks Melee "is a great game, but the people make it trash", which is absolutely fair. Think of it as someone, kinda like me a bit, who's an outsider that sometimes is in the know, but huge fan of Smash.

If you have to rely on your tools being non-standard to everyone else's in a way to give you an advantage, that is cheating. That pretty much is the whole basis of his thoughts, and what I also kinda share, too.

Do I think Smash shouldn't be at EVO? Of course not, there are so many games there that Smash feels right there. But do I see why people might not want Smash or Smash-related stuff at EVO, of course. It's sad and sometimes volatile at times, but they ain't wrong some of the time, either.

It's almost as if Melee was never intended for competitive play nor turning off 80% of the game, bending the game into a competitive format. :4pacman:
The tools Melee offers are pretty much exclusive to the scene, though. It isn't really unfair if everyone in the tourney crowd is using the tools given in the same way. It's like how speed runners have races with each other: Yes, they are using exploits, but if both are allowed to use them and are expected to use them, then the playing field stays even and it all comes back down to skill.

D

Deleted member

The tools Melee offers are pretty much exclusive to the scene, though. It isn't really unfair if everyone in the tourney crowd is using the tools given in the same way. It's like how speed runners have races with each other: Yes, they are using exploits, but if both are allowed to use them and are expected to use them, then the playing field stays even and it all comes back down to skill.
But then you can see why how a lot of the FGC or fighting game fans who mainly abide by the game mechanics without bugs can be a bit urked. The controller aspect makes it pissbaby laughable.

The fact that Armada dropped out of DreamHack Austin 2017 (which was also when the Best Friends podcast uploaded on) because he didn't find a "worthy" controller, which then totally ****ed up the bracket after the fact, that right there is laughable.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
My issue with melee is I've had people from other fighting game communities tell me it isn't a competitive game and its casual. Ive tried explaining to them there is some pretty DAMN complex stuff in melee and its not formulaic like most fighting games are but they don't listen because its a "fighting party game" by Nintendo. Yeah originally it was intended to be a fighting party game but after all these tournaments and such a high skill floor totally makes it a NOT COMPETITIVE game right?

lol

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
The first thing to note on for any Smash player, if your controller is in any way shape or form broken beyond belief, it's your fault for exerting the buttons too much.

Just a quick tip.

Bringing a broken controller to such a big event as EVO is nothing short of "wow, you should already know this by now."

LetterO

Smash Lord
Question for you guys, any thoughts on the lack of home run?
The lack of any good singleplayer besides the Spirits and Classic Mode is disappointing. For a game on a system where the gimmick is to play on the go, there's not much good to do besides those 2 unless you got a bud.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Question for you guys, any thoughts on the lack of home run?
Ran out of time
They were bored of it after having it in the series for the three previous installments

One of those two or both. I could see it maybe coming back as free DLC, but if we get DLC modes I'd prefer a new and in-depth mode if possible.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
YO everyone. Don't mind me, just dropping some artwork I made for my most wanted newcomer, Quote. (And Curly, with the Colons Kids as an Assist Trophy)
(This art is actually from July so it's not that new, but I hope y'all enjoy)
IMG_20181220_202038_689.jpg

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
The lack of any good singleplayer besides the Spirits and Classic Mode is disappointing. For a game on a system where the gimmick is to play on the go, there's not much good to do besides those 2 unless you got a bud.
True, I LOVE the game and all, but I missed beating up Sandbag and gets a new time. Also I like the old All STAR better.

Shroob

Sup?
I dont care if you dis Lifelight. I really don't.

Now if you dis the Brawl theme song imma go full Dash Attack Luigi and start throwing hands.
Mother ****ing perfection.
I really don't like it.

Brawl tries to be this big, grand experience over its predecessors, and maybe at the time it was, but now besides SSE, it just falls flat on its face in almost every regard. Having this incredibly over the top and grand themesong doesn't sell it to me like it did back then.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I really don't like it.

Brawl tries to be this big, grand experience over its predecessors, and maybe at the time it was, but now besides SSE, it just falls flat on its face in almost every regard. Having this incredibly over the top and grand themesong doesn't sell it to me like it did back then.
DontTrashUematsu.jpg

NonSpecificGuy right now

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The song itself is fine, but it being tied to BRAWL is what I'm more getting at as to why I don't really care for it.

If it were tied to something more fitting, okay yeah, it's a fine song, but Brawl? The game where everything feels like you're wading through two tubs of jelly, jumps feel like you have rocket boots, and color basically doesn't exist except in "Max darken"

Yeah, any other game but Brawl and that themesong would have been fine, but Brawl took itself wayyy too seriously.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I actually enjoy Lifelight well enough. I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do and fits the general tone well enough.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I like Lifelight. The meter does do a bit awkwardly at times, but nowhere near as badly as Lost in Thoughts.

I loved Brawl. The theme was godly, and I really did enjoy the darker, grittier, SSE gameplay. It definitely made playing Ganondorf less painful than in 4 since everyone was slow so he didn't seem bad comparatively.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

I like Lifelight. The meter does do a bit awkwardly at times, but nowhere near as badly as Lost in Thoughts.

I loved Brawl. The theme was godly, and I really did enjoy the darker, grittier, SSE gameplay. It definitely made playing Ganondorf less painful than in 4 since everyone was slow so he didn't seem bad comparatively.
Lost in Thoughts All Alone is the best part of Fates. Especially the Shigure version!

Shroob

Sup?
I think I'm just biased against Brawl in general since pre-Brawl speculation was the first time that I got into the speculation scene, and was the first time I felt disappointed.

If Brawl didn't have the SSE, I'd wager it'd be considered the worst Smash, if people don't already consider it to be.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I think Lifelight is great...

...unless it's the version with lyrics. Then it's complete and total garbage.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Brawl's theme is still my favourite and its current context has no effect on it whatsoever. It's up there with Uematsu's FF work as some of my faovurite music in video games.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I think I'm just biased against Brawl in general since pre-Brawl speculation was the first time that I got into the speculation scene, and was the first time I felt disappointed.

If Brawl didn't have the SSE, I'd wager it'd be considered the worst Smash, if people don't already consider it to be.
For me, the Smash games get better with each installment. Do Melee and 64 have Dedede, Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Snake, Sonic, Wolf, or any of the other newcomers? No. Therefore, I like Brawl better.

Gameplay be damned, Brawl had most of the returning cast plus more and that alone makes it better in my eyes.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I don't take leffen serious by any means when it comes to his opinions on these games. He legit said brawl was a better competitive game than 4.

Phenomenal player, and I don't hate the guy, but he has some wonky reasoning sometimes
I mean ZeRo outright said that Smash 4 was the WORST smash game competitively just saying..

Shroob

Sup?
Also, more bias.

But 64 is the worst Smash, hands down.

Game feels jank as heck.
Barely any content due to it being the first game.
And my GOD the N64 controller is probably in my top 3 worst controllers of all time in regards to the Big 3 alongside the PS1 controller-pre Dualshock and The Duke from Microsoft.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Frankly, I find people use Brawl as a punching bag at this point way more then is probably necessary at this point. Only recently has some of it shifted due to Smash Wii U have some lackluster elements to compare it to.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Melee is easily the worst Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom