• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Ballot 3.0 actually. Brawl had one too and Sonic, Dedede and Mega Man were essentially the Pillar Men of it. Two got in Brawl and Mega Man was the one of the first ones in Smash 4.

Once again, if we get another Ballot, I'm shilling for Mega Man X.
Technically ballot 4.0 if we count that old Smash 2 one.
Although, I can’t imagine the results for a second ballot would be much different from a first, other than maybe Geno scoring higher and characters like 2b having a small presence.

Last edited by a moderator:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Well, I finally got my Switch and I got Smash Ultimate. Unfortunately, I am being held from using it until Christmas....talk about agonizing. XD

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I just wanted to see Ryu Hayabusa get in, but I think I lost about all hope for him and pretty much all of my favorites at this point.
Would Ryu Hayabusa give up hope to stab dudes in brutal and stylish fashion? No!
Would Ryu Hayabusa give up hope to use cool Ninja Fire? No!
Would Ryu Hayabusa give up hope for DOA Anime *******? No!
Would Ryu Hayabusa give up hope that birds will finally leave him alone? He probably should, but still NO!

And most importantly, would Ryu Hayabusa EVER give up on making the Izuna Drop look cool? NEVER!

So don't give up on him. Unless you want to help me shill for Mega Man X.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Technically ballot 4.0 if we count that old Smash 2 one.
Although, I can’t imagine the results for a second ballot would be much different from a first, other than maybe Geno scoring higher and characters like 2b having a small presence.
Huh, didn't know Melee had one of sorts, or I had forgotten at least. Thanks for letting me know.

when someone tells me ken is better than ryu

Only dudes who's range is one fist short would say that.

Shroob

Sup?
Ballot 3.0 actually. Brawl had one too and Sonic, Dedede and Mega Man were essentially the Pillar Men of it. Two got in Brawl and Mega Man was the one of the first ones in Smash 4.

Once again, if we get another Ballot, I'm shilling for Mega Man X.
Fair enough, but my point still stands.

Even after we get these 5 DLC characters with their stages, there's still going to be a single, blank spot on the stage select screen.

Sakurai's not hiding anything, he's not going to leave that one spot empty.

D

Deleted member

Time for my obligatory ‘people can have opinions’ post!
People can have opinions on Joker.
While I am, just completely ambivalent on him, I do understand why people get excited for him. He’s a new rising star of a character, he’s surprising and fresh, and he could certainly have a unique moveset. Plus people seem to love persona 5.
At the same time though, I understand that others may feel like he’s an odd one out among other third parties. He’s only existed properly for 2 years, his game, while receiving critical acclaim, has arguably had not enough time to prove itself truly impactful. Who know whether Joker is still gonna be popular within 10 years or so without the help of Smash?
This post is probably pointless and aimed at no one in particular, but just, let people have opinions on characters. There’s nothing wrong with expressing disappointment with certain additions if you aren’t being rude.

Dan

Smash Lord
When are they releasing Smash Switch profile pics? Oh, wait... they aren't; because it's the best game.

D

Deleted member

Alright, call me whatever the hell you will, but I do not like how they handled unlocking characters in this game. Brawl's method worked just fine, so I don't know why they couldn't use if for Ultimate. Anything but what they have now.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
So having played Smash Ultimate for a bit now, (I didn’t cave in and buy it, ur mom did,) I feel more confirmed than ever before that assist trophies are not ‘deconfirmed,’ but are actually in the game, in a substantial way. Spirits are even in the game/not ‘deconfirmed’ in a substantial way, as well. The fact that Incineroar is an ‘official’ main Smash character and directly a more fully ‘playable’ by you, the human, character, while Kyle Hyde and Waluigi are not, just proves to me that being directly ‘playable’ in this sense does not = being given more respect.

Because of all of this stuff, I still say that being a Spirit or assist trophy should disqualify DLC consideration, because that character is already in the game— they already have a good, valuable, and sufficient role to play.

Last edited:

Phobos_Anomaly

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, how do I claim my gold points for Smash Bros Ultimate (in order to get Piranha Plant in February)?
If you have the physical version of the game: when you're on the main menu on your Switch, press the + button when you're on the Smash icon to access game details, then select the bottom option to "obtain gold points". You should just be able to select that and the points will be added. I believe they send the email for the character via email afterwards. I haven't received my email yet and I did it last night so you might have to wait a bit.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Alright, call me whatever the hell you will, but I do not like how they handled unlocking characters in this game. Brawl's method worked just fine, so I don't know why they couldn't use if for Ultimate. Anything but what they have now.
Eh I get one after every classic mode play through and versus match/other modes. Pacing myself and getting use to the mechanics, and I find spirits fun as hell so I am enjoying myself.

Phobos_Anomaly

Smash Cadet
Eh I get one after every classic mode play through and versus match/other modes. Pacing myself and getting use to the mechanics, and I find spirits fun as hell so I am enjoying myself.
Totally same. I bounce between just regular Smash mode to mess around and Classic mode to get a good mix to unlocking random fighters. Keeps things interesting!

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
U’re a wet noodle.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Someone beat the currently-considered hardest Spirit battle. First I've seen do it.
The Wily Spirit Battle: a ton of Metal Megaman with Doctor Mario in a stamina battle.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Would Ryu Hayabusa give up hope to stab dudes in brutal and stylish fashion? No!
Would Ryu Hayabusa give up hope to use cool Ninja Fire? No!
Would Ryu Hayabusa give up hope for DOA Anime *******? No!
Would Ryu Hayabusa give up hope that birds will finally leave him alone? He probably should, but still NO!

And most importantly, would Ryu Hayabusa EVER give up on making the Izuna Drop look cool? NEVER!

So don't give up on him. Unless you want to help me shill for Mega Man X.
Maybe. I just feel like trash today.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
This is fitting AND accurate here:
We have three PS icons now, AND they are never leaked before for first time: Snake - Brawl, Cloud- Smash 4, and now Joker - Ultimate.

It's poetry that verge didn't leak more thing about joker, turned out that he was on Nintendo's DLC selection list and they already selected.

Who as well know that Steve from minecraft and Square enix rep are on that list because verge mentioned about them and the reason that they came up because Nintendo put their names on list from which they can select for DLC.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Ugh, why did they have to make this system so confusing...

Okay, so...
  • For unlocking characters through smash matches, can I just do "play a single match that lasts ten minutes, fight challenger, play another 10-minute match and repeat"?
  • For unlocking characters through classic mode, if I lose the match against the character I want to unlock, will the Challenger **** off to the "Challenger Approaching" penalty box like they'd do from smash matches, or will I have to play classic mode as the character that unlocks them again?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I can understand that. What would have been even better is unlocking either by playing certain stages, or choosing who you unlock in the shop or something. Not that Ultimate's methods are all that bad. Just kind of tedious when it's more than 50 characters you have to unlock.

Maybe. I just feel like trash today.
Hope you start feeling better soon man.

Ugh, why did they have to make this system so confusing...

Okay, so...
  • For unlocking characters through smash matches, can I just do "play a single match that lasts ten minutes, fight challenger, play another 10-minute match and repeat"?
  • For unlocking characters through classic mode, if I lose the match against the character I want to unlock, will the Challenger **** off to the "Challenger Approaching" penalty box like they'd do from smash matches, or will I have to play classic mode as the character that unlocks them again?
Probably the Penalty Box.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm pacing myself with the game because I'm enjoying it so much.

The CPUs can be difficult. I've lost quite a few matches against fighters trying to unlock them.

Spirit Battles are a much more improved event mode as well.

All in all I'm enjoying the game.

Still haven't unlocked Isabelle yet though.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But why since we know what he looks like outside of Smash. I feel a reveal is more then enough to have one made now. Then again I never played Persona and maybe he appears in different clothing throughout the series.
Honestly? I don't think they're finished yet. There is no chance in hell Joker is in a presentable state and they want to make everything perfect.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
just play world of light dude, seriously

D

Deleted member

Man I want to play the game mor, but I’m tired so I have to stop. Luckily it just means I can spend more time playing tomorrow.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
My new prediction for the DLC is:

Lloyd/Tales Character
Square Enix Character
Ryu Hayabusa
Dante

Lloyd: Joker's reveal means that the 3rd restrictions are much lower here now. There's no Tales references at all with Pac-Man. And Sakurai spoke in high regard with him. Insiders did hear him and Yuri(they didn't say he would be revealed at the TGAs).

Square Enix: I think with every company except Namco getting a new character base or DLC. I think Namco and Square will get a rep. Vergeben's source also said that there would be a rep. He himself(I think) thought that the 1st character would be the SE rep, not his source.

Ryu Hayabusa: A darkhorse character from the NES era. He fits in with Joker as being an unexpected but popular character. Koei Tecmo also has a good relationship with Nintendo.

Dante: Another Darkhorse character. With the vast amount of Capcom content in the game. I wouldn't be surprised that Capcom would get a 3rd character. Dante is the prime candidate here. If not him then Monster Hunter.
This is the prediction I most agree with, I could easily see Banjo in combination with any of the three above too.

On a side note, a bit late to the Joker party but what an unexpected reveal... Sakurai has completely turned my opinion on the fighter pack if this is any indication of the remaining fighters. P5 is my favorite game of all time so I'm excited to see what his moveset will be!

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i'm not super into joker but i appreciate him being in the game like ten times more than i do cloud or ryu

not buying the fighter pass unless there's some characters i actually want tho

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So you can put tilts on a separate button? Any other control options I need to know of?
Sort of.

Smash attacks are on the right stick by default.

But unlike with pretty much everything else, there's no option to assign that to another button. Which, I wish there was. I really don't need two jump buttons, I really wish I could just set one of them to Smash attacks.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I legit could see an Undertale character now. I'm being completely honest. They have the popularity and I can see Nintendo choosing one.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Zinith Zinith

I HAD THE YOSHI UP-TILT WIFF ON ME WHILE PLAYING WOL.

It just straight up missed lol.

Bruh.

Persona 5 is one of the games that revitalized the JRPG market in America. That's pretty game changing if you ask me.
I swear, the one thing everyone will remember from Ultimate Yoshi is that hitbox...

Though technically it's exactly like Fox's utilt now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom