• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Is people already getting smash? because I preorder in a store and to check out if is out I have to go to that store and ask and I'm too lazy to do it.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Were those new gamemodes that that "Noatesty" guy mentioned on Reddit found in this patch? 400mb seems like a lot for just a few spirits of pikachu, eevee and super mario party.

D

Deleted member

Is people already getting smash? because I preorder in a store and to check out if is out I have to go to that store and ask and I'm too lazy to do it.
Not legitly, some people are getting it tomorrow night however instead of day after tomorrow. If you check they might let you get it tomorrow night as well

D

Deleted member

I'm more disappointed with
only three characters having giant enemies instead of bosses
It's Jigglypuff, Bayonetta and Bowser, right?
I can understand Jigglypuff as a 64 throwback and Bowser getting a role reversal of the Giga Bowser fight is fun. But Bayo is just... why?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm glad this means we're probably gonna get constant updates with new Spirits. Love the concept and it can allow us to get some of the ones who missed the base game.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
It's certainly a step up from trophies post launch back during Smash 4. Aside from DLC-related content, Inklings were pretty much the only thing we got.

Still, I'm hoping Spirits aren't the only content we see from newer games. I'm rooting for a few suprise music tracks to be added in a random update. Or better yet, give us an actual playable character.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Classic Mode bosses of every character.
Master Hand:
Peach
Daisy
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Samus
Dark Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Fox
Pikachu (fights Mewtwo first)
Pokemon Trainer (fights Mewtwo first)
Pichu
Lucario
Greninja
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ness
Lucas
Lucina
Roy
Robin
Corrin
Mr. Game & Watch
Wario
Olimar
Villager
Isabelle
Wii Fit Trainer
Palutena
Little Mac
Shulk
Cloud

Master Hand & Crazy Hand:
Donkey Kong (on Omega New Donk City instead of Final Destination)
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Incineroar
Ice Climbers
Ike
Chrom
Pit
Sonic
Ryu

Note: It's possible that characters who fight Master Hand also fight Crazy Hand on higher difficulties since I had King Dedede on this list as Master Hand/Crazy Hand but the video I saw had him only fighting Master Hand.

Crazy Hand:
Falco
Ken

Galleom:
K. Rool
Wolf
R.O.B
Snake
Dark Pit
Mega Man (as his second to last stage. Mega Man's final stage is against Dr. Mario as a reference to Dr. Wily.)

Dracula:
Luigi
Pac-Man
Simon
Richter

Ganon:
Link
Zelda
Young Link
Toon Link

Giga Bowser:
Mario
Captain Falcon

Marx:
Kirby
Inkling
Rosalina

Rathalos:
Yoshi
Marth
Duck Hunt
Bowser (not his final round. His final round is Mario who after being KO'd turns into Metal Mario)

Characters that don't fight regular bosses:
Bayonetta (Giant Palutena)
Jigglypuff (Giant DK)
I REALLY wanted Ganondorf's final boss to be Dracula. Would have been a great way to finish Ganondorf's classic mode.

Zeox

Smash Champion
It's certainly a step up from trophies post launch back during Smash 4. Aside from DLC-related content, Inklings were pretty much the only thing we got.

Still, I'm hoping Spirits aren't the only content we see from newer games. I'm rooting for a few suprise music tracks to be added in a random update. Or better yet, give us an actual playable character.
New modes (like a stage builder) new bosses (like something for Pokemon or FE), new alts and even more crazy new free echo characters.

khfan93

Smash Cadet
There's one thing I am hoping is in this update and I want to know whether anyone has datamined it; keeping it in the spoiler tag out of an abundance of caution.
Has anyone looked to see if it contains codecs for the fighters not included in Brawl? Or that it removes the codecs for the Brawl characters? Or does it really leave us in the awkward situation where like half the roster has copy pasted codecs and the other half doesn't have them at all?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
There's one thing I am hoping is in this update and I want to know whether anyone has datamined it; keeping it in the spoiler tag out of an abundance of caution.
Has anyone looked to see if it contains codecs for the fighters not included in Brawl? Or that it removes the codecs for the Brawl characters? Or does it really leave us in the awkward situation where like half the roster has copy pasted codecs and the other half doesn't have them at all?
All we have are the codec's from Brawl line for line, which makes Jigglypuff and Sonic's codec's rather odd.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Classic Mode bosses of every character.
Master Hand:
Peach
Daisy
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Samus
Dark Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Fox
Pikachu (fights Mewtwo first)
Pokemon Trainer (fights Mewtwo first)
Pichu
Lucario
Greninja
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ness
Lucas
Lucina
Roy
Robin
Corrin
Mr. Game & Watch
Wario
Olimar
Villager
Isabelle
Wii Fit Trainer
Palutena
Little Mac
Shulk
Cloud

Master Hand & Crazy Hand:
Donkey Kong (on Omega New Donk City instead of Final Destination)
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Incineroar
Ice Climbers
Ike
Chrom
Pit
Sonic
Ryu

Note: It's possible that characters who fight Master Hand also fight Crazy Hand on higher difficulties since I had King Dedede on this list as Master Hand/Crazy Hand but the video I saw had him only fighting Master Hand.

Crazy Hand:
Falco
Ken

Galleom:
K. Rool
Wolf
R.O.B
Snake
Dark Pit
Mega Man (as his second to last stage. Mega Man's final stage is against Dr. Mario as a reference to Dr. Wily.)

Dracula:
Luigi
Pac-Man
Simon
Richter

Ganon:
Link
Zelda
Young Link
Toon Link

Giga Bowser:
Mario
Captain Falcon

Marx:
Kirby
Inkling
Rosalina

Rathalos:
Yoshi
Marth
Duck Hunt
Bowser (not his final round. His final round is Mario who after being KO'd turns into Metal Mario)

Characters that don't fight regular bosses:
Bayonetta (Giant Palutena)
Jigglypuff (Giant DK)
Wait, so Mario and Captain Falcon are the only characters who fight Giga Bowser?! That's lame...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Last one.

All we have are the codec's from Brawl line for line, which makes Jigglypuff and Sonic's codec's rather odd.
Wait, why?

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
It's Jigglypuff, Bayonetta and Bowser, right?
I can understand Jigglypuff as a 64 throwback and Bowser getting a role reversal of the Giga Bowser fight is fun. But Bayo is just... why?
Bayonetta's is supposed to be a reference to Jubileus, the final boss from Bayonetta 1.

D

Deleted member

Bayonetta's is supposed to be a reference to Jubileus, the final boss from Bayonetta 1.
I mean, yeah, I know that. But then why is she the only one with such a reference? Specially when so many characters fight Master Hand.

D

Deleted member

I mean, yeah, I know that. But then why is she the only one with such a reference? Specially when so many characters fight Master Hand.
Another question, why no Metal Face boss Nintendo? Come on, he's already in the game just give him a health bar!

ok I know it's not that simple and there's no point making a boss that only one character would fight but still. Oh well I guess you could argue Master Hand represents Zanza or something

osby

Smash Obsessed
Right, I knew about that from the base game. I haven't seen anyone saying that they checked the update and there were no new codecs in it yet, so I was just looking to see. It sounds like maybe they have although it is unclear from folks' replies.
It seems, no, they won't record any new lines at all, which is pretty understandable.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
"We want combos and rewarding aggresdive play!"

Ultimate delivers said fan request.

"Oh **** I am scared. Everyone is Broken!"

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Characters are only broken in comparison to other characters. As long as it applies to all characters than I have no worries unless they leave my boi in the dust again

osby

Smash Obsessed

Melee is still the most balanced Smash game, I guess.

Also, I can live without any balance patches, if it means they'l put the full version of Three Houses trailer theme to the game.

D

Deleted member

Another question, why no Metal Face boss Nintendo? Come on, he's already in the game just give him a health bar!

ok I know it's not that simple and there's no point making a boss that only one character would fight but still. Oh well I guess you could argue Master Hand represents Zanza or something
Same. They already had the model and some basic attacks, at least update him to a full on boss, damnit.
The same goes for Mother Brain and Yellow Devil, they were perfect fits to be turned into full bosses.

D

Deleted member

Characters are only broken in comparison to other characters. As long as it applies to all characters than I have no worries unless they leave my boi in the dust again
Was Yoshi bad in Smash 4? Haven't seen the effect of newer patches since I haven't played in a year but iirc he was alright, right?

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Was Yoshi bad in Smash 4? Haven't seen the effect of newer patches since I haven't played in a year but iirc he was alright, right?
I don't think it was anything to do with patches, I think people just finally learned how to deal with him and it's pretty easy to do so in a lot of matchups when you know what you're doing

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Melee is still the most balanced Smash game, I guess.

Also, I can live without any balance patches, if it means they'l put the full version of Three Houses trailer theme to the game.
I think Smash 4 was really balanced until Bayonetta released. She broke the curve.

But this game's roster seems to have caused a lot of problems with cut corners. I have to imagine this game's going to get a ton of balance updates.

Speaking of which, I hope those dataminers are keeping a list of values across each version so people know what is/isn't being changed this time.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think Smash 4 was really balanced until Bayonetta released. She broke the curve.

But this game's roster seems to have caused a lot of problems with cut corners. I have to imagine this game's going to get a ton of balance updates.

Speaking of which, I hope those dataminers are keeping a list of values across each version so people know what is/isn't being changed this time.
True that. We don't need another rendition of “Pac-Man's grab feels faster".

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I feel like this game has done a decent job at balancing. It's just incredibly obvious that some characters got less attention during development than others. Some high tiers got a ton of nerfs, while others still look just as intimidating as before. Some low tiers got some huge buffs, while others were barely even touched.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team

I disagree, even pre-bayo smash 4 had a very Sheik-centric meta, with that character appearing in about as much in Top 8s as Bayo now.

Imo 64 was the most balanced game, sure the low tiers were still kinda useless, but its meta has never been centered around 1 character like the other games. It's highest tier character, Pikachu, is someone a lot of people have a pocket of, but there don't seem to be that many pros that use him. It's not uncommon to see top 8s that feature solo Puff mains, Fox mains, Falcon mains, Kirby mains, Yoshi mains and so on but no solo Pikachu main. The game is so balanced that there's been discussion lately about whether or not Pikachu even really is the number 1, with some saying it may be Kirby or Fox.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yes, Cloud is listed as belonging to the Final Fantasy VII series, but a simple patch could easily lop the VII off of the end in the game. After all, the Series Icon is FF in the Iconic Final Fantasy Font, not FFVII or VII or something more key to Final Fantasy VII such as the Meteor from the Logo or the Buster Sword. Its likely only listed as 'Final Fantasy VII' because the only content in Super Smash Bros. comes from Final Fantasy VII and nothing comes from the other games in the series.

I don't put too much stock in Leaks, especially when Nintendo is well aware that there are well known leakers getting information from somewhere, I could easily see them throwing out false names and information to fish..and I don't tend to put full faith in leakers anyway, since very few times are any of them 100% right all the time.

You should give Twilight Princess a try, its still a very fun Zelda game.
A lot like some people in other threads, your point is based on the possibility of editing an already established labelling and info.
If you know Sakurai, you would be aware that he is extremely consistent and pays attention to detail. Even in Smash 4 you never had him go back and change something like this. I really don't think this is the case. It's VII or go home for him.

I don't think they'd be able to do that.

Similar to Cloud, Sephiroth has evolved past his source material into a super-omega-god boss with a sword as long as the **** of that guy who ****ed your wife right in front of you. If Sakurai and his team had to dig into Dissidia and Advent Children to incorporate Cloud, they'll likely have to do the same with Sephiroth, and that doesn't work because he's ****ing busted in those sources.
Uhhhh... They only took AC as a skin and Cloud's visual appearance from Dissidia. Only his dash animation is from that game. The rest is more faithful to his game incarnation than most other appearances. Sakurai is, thank goodness, looking at the original game (the only one that matters, specially considering the expanded universe is not only garbage but isn't even canon to the remake), so if he made Sephiroth, he sword would be long, but not pathetically huge like in the expanded universe joke.

Well the summons are at least from other games (except Bahamut ZERO who's a variant of the recurring Bahamut) and Ifrit uses his FFVIII design. The chocobo hat is also based on the Chocobo series and not FFVII. So there's some none FFVII content but room for more (room for more anything FF really).
Actually, you're wrong. All of the summons use their FFVII design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just give us patch notes, Nintendo, you're already catering to the competitive community so help us out on this.

A lot like so people in other threads, your point is based on the possibility of editing an already established labelling and info.
If you know Sakurai, you would be aware that he is extremely consistent and payes attention to detail. Even in Smash 4 you never had him go back and change something like this. I really don't think this is the case. It's VII or go home for him.
There isn't even anything that needs to be edited, only the website refers to FF as FFVII so just, like, have them be classified as different framchises if that's your issue.
Besides, this is, like, really dumb because FFVII is not a game series but rather a singular game.

D

Deleted member

Crash should be in Smash.

And Varia Samus still sucks apparently, with Ridley not being good after his huge demand during many years.

The Metroid franchise in Ultimate succeeds on content, but keeps having problems with the way the fighters play, which dissapoints me.

Last edited by a moderator:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
What matters is whether a game does well enough for the company that made it to consider it a success or a failure. IX cost more to make than VII, and made less than half as much in return. That's the reason X, XII, XIII and XV are all in line with the tone set by VII while IX remains the outlier, which is exactly the point I was making. The one time they've tried to not simply remake VII, it failed to attract the same audience.
Uhhh, 100% disagreed
Change in setting has nothing to do with design philosophy. VII is closest to VI than any other FF game. In fact, people define the classic era as I-IX and the modern as X-XV for a reason. IX made less money because the PS2 was on the way and few people were paying attention to the game. Sakaguchi's departure from the company alongside many of the original team of designers, programmers and writers was felt already with X moving forward.
Btw, what does your Top 3 FF of all time look like?
To me it's:
1. VII
2. VI
3. IX

Just give us patch notes, Nintendo, you're already catering to the competitive community so help us out on this.

There isn't even anything that needs to be edited, only the website refers to FF as FFVII so just, like, have them be classified as different framchises if that's your issue.
Besides, this is, like, really dumb because FFVII is not a game series but rather a singular game.
You're wrong. The game series listed in the music in-game as well as other content are listed as FFVII, not FF. They got rights to use FFVII content. And like it or not, it is its own franchise, given how each FF is its own universe (even if in VII's case, the expanded universe came at the cost of everything, from the integrity of the characters' and events' portrayals to the quality of the content itself)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
A lot like so people in other threads, your point is based on the possibility of editing an already established labelling and info.
If you know Sakurai, you would be aware that he is extremely consistent and payes attention to detail. Even in Smash 4 you never had him go back and change something like this. I really don't think this is the case. It's VII or go home for him.

Uhhhh... They only took AC as a skin and Cloud's visual appearance from Dissidia. Only his dash animation is from that game. The rest is more faithful to his game incarnation than most other appearances. Sakurai is, thank goodness, looking at the original game (the only one that matters, specially considering the expanded universe is not only garbage but isn't even canon to the remake), so if he made Sephiroth, he sword would be long, but not pathetically huge like in the expanded universe joke.

Actually, you're wrong. All of the summons use their FFVII design.
Ifrit does not and you've misinterpreted what I was saying. While the summons barring Ifrit use their VII design, only Bahamut Zero debuted in VII.

D

Deleted member

Why are the Metroid reps still low tier?

We won on everything else, but we still suck fighting against Mario spammers.

Why?

I hope that the day we get Crash in, he will be able to stand against Pichu at least, because outside of K.Rool my favourite characters are low tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom