• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Am I the only one who'd still be up for Sephiroth being in?

No? Well okay then.
Sephiroth is okay.

But why have him when you could have a character from, you know, any other game that isn't Final Fantasy 7?
Well the summons are at least from other games (except Bahamut ZERO who's a variant of the recurring Bahamut) and Ifrit uses his FFVIII design. The chocobo hat is also based on the Chocobo series and not FFVII. So there's some none FFVII content but room for more (room for more anything FF really).
Uh...has anyone told him? Someone should tell him.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Sephiroth is okay.

But why have him when you could have a character from, you know, any other game that isn't Final Fantasy 7?

Uh...has anyone told him? Someone should tell him.
If it's that it's not in Ultimate that doesn't matter because the FFVII distinction is made in both Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Roberk

Smash Champion

No? Well okay then.
As someone who is minimally invested into Final Fantasy and even Square Enix as a whole: Sephiroth would be kinda sad compared to all of the other stuff a Square Enix or even Final Fantasy character could represent. FF7 shouldn't be the Gen 1/Awakening of its series, there's much more to draw from.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
As someone who is minimally invested into Final Fantasy and even Square Enix as a whole: Sephiroth would be kinda sad compared to all of the other stuff a Square Enix or even Final Fantasy character could represent. FF7 shouldn't be the Gen 1/Awakening of its series, there's much more to draw from.
If FF could get as many characters as some of the 1st party franchises, I'd be fine with it. For just 2 characters? No way.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

No? Well okay then.
I'm fine with Sephiroth being in, as long as they balance him while keeping him (somewhat) faithful to the source material.

But honestly, I'd prefer someone not from FFVII, just so we can get more unique Square content.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I saw people mention a few times earlier today that Mewtwo is the only blog post left, but am I crazy, or is Game & Watch also not up yet?

The US site is really shoddy, but the GB version of the blog is fully updated and doesn't have Game & Watch either. Did both just miss the Game & Watch blog?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Give me Ramza Beoulve if there's going to be another FF character.

HE THROWS ROCKS.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm fine with Sephiroth being in, as long as they balance him while keeping him (somewhat) faithful to the source material.

But honestly, I'd prefer someone not from FFVII, just so we can get more unique Square content.
I don't think they'd be able to do that.

Similar to Cloud, Sephiroth has evolved past his source material into a super-omega-god boss with a sword as long as the **** of that guy who ****ed your wife right in front of you. If Sakurai and his team had to dig into Dissidia and Advent Children to incorporate Cloud, they'll likely have to do the same with Sephiroth, and that doesn't work because he's ****ing busted in those sources.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I saw people mention a few times earlier today that Mewtwo is the only blog post left, but am I crazy, or is Game & Watch also not up yet?

The US site is really shoddy, but the GB version of the blog is fully updated and doesn't have Game & Watch either. Did both just miss the Game & Watch blog?
G&W has been done.
When using his side special, Judge, this fighter pulls out a hammer and the numbers 1-9 are displayed. If you pull off a 9 attack, it really knock the opponent back. His Final Smash turns him into an octopus that can pull opponents off the stage!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
G&W has been done.
When using his side special, Judge, this fighter pulls out a hammer and the numbers 1-9 are displayed. If you pull off a 9 attack, it really knock the opponent back. His Final Smash turns him into an octopus that can pull opponents off the stage!
So not only does it supply nothing new, but it's tragically incomplete across regions.

*Trump 'SAD'

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Similar to Cloud, Sephiroth has evolved past his source material into a super-omega-god boss with a sword as long as the **** of that guy who ****ed your wife right in front of you. If Sakurai and his team had to dig into Dissidia and Advent Children to incorporate Cloud, they'll likely have to do the same with Sephiroth, and that doesn't work because he's ****ing busted in those sources.
Smash debossed Ridley to the point a Pichu can take him on. Said Pichu can also take on a god.

I don't think it will really matter, considering Sephiroth is playable in Dissidia also.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I believe the last DQ game was DQ8 on the 3DS and that had really disappointing MIDI tracks compared to the original PS2 orchestral.

Perhaps that's where that belief started?
dq11 had a midi soundtrack in all releases in order to sell the orchestral version on cds/records

too bad the general composition for the music in that game is ****

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
VII is just far more successful and much more beloved than even the next biggest entry in the series (which is X). The franchise has never left VII's shadow, and the one time they tried to really do something entirely different from it, IX, the game bombed. VII is the "Gen 1/Awakening" of its franchise, plain and simple.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
VII is just far more successful and much more beloved than even the next biggest entry in the series (which is X). The franchise has never left VII's shadow, and the one time they tried to really do something entirely different from it, IX, the game bombed. VII is the "Gen 1/Awakening" of its franchise, plain and simple.
Sad but true.

And just like Gen 1 there are so many better iterations of FF but I digress

Roberk

Smash Champion
I finally posted my comprehensive analysis of the Ultimate roster. I also included various other essays with it (such as my DLC speculation). Please give it a read when you have the time to do so.

https://smashboards.com/threads/eve...ates-roster-and-other-assorted-essays.464556/

Please also give this track a listen. I wrote it while listening to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk6oqobUDA8
Wow, I've actually found someone else who listens to "Blow'in in the wind". You don't need to tell me twice to give it another listen, definitely the type of song to have while reading a finale like this.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
if we absolutely have to get another final fantasy character i will only accept greggilgamesh

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yeah but consider this:

They're really good games.
This is what makes collective art like games and movies somewhat more complicated then traditional media. Video Games are generally made by large groups of people, many with competiting views and likely political opinions. Does it make sense to deny entire games just because certain individuals on the development team have questionable views? I'm not sure it something I can personally do though there are many that would disagree.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Trust me, I know.
I've expressed the exact same opinion on Sephiroth multiple times, even before that leaked list came out.
I'm extremely doubtful it'll happen, but if anyone can do it, it's Sakurai and the Smash development team.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
In what world did FFIX bomb? It may not be as popular as some of the other FF games, but it certainly didn't bomb.

In fact it apparently has the highest metacritic score of any FF game (something I personally think it deserves). FF7 and 10 got a 92 to FF9's 94.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh, we're discussing FF characters now? Well...

Hey, this has nothing to do with my reptile love. I just get the feeling that Smash fans have a thing for purple dragons :yoshi:
Was half expecting the SMRPG version, Bahamutt.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
alright if slime gets in

the only thing i will be mad at is if his splash card doesn't say "SLIME DRAWS NEAR!"

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
In what word did FFIX bomb? It's certainly not as popular as some of the other FF games, but it certainly didn't bomb.

In fact it apparently has the highest metacritic score of any FF game (something I personally think it deserves). FF7 and 10 got a 92 to FF9's 94.
Whether a game is good or not has nothing to do with whether anybody buys it.

It's the 9th best selling mainline game in the franchise, selling only more than the early NES/SNES ones from before the franchise became the household name it is now. It had a larger budget than VII and failed to sell even half as much.

Kemasc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kemasc
3DS FC
1075-0901-6296
Switch FC
SW 0951 8703 5022
Im praying with all of my holy energy that Sans is a lock.

segillav

Smash Apprentice
Classic Mode bosses of every character.
Master Hand:
Peach
Daisy
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Samus
Dark Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Fox
Pikachu (fights Mewtwo first)
Pokemon Trainer (fights Mewtwo first)
Pichu
Lucario
Greninja
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ness
Lucas
Lucina
Roy
Robin
Corrin
Mr. Game & Watch
Wario
Olimar
Villager
Isabelle
Wii Fit Trainer
Palutena
Little Mac
Shulk
Cloud

Master Hand & Crazy Hand:
Donkey Kong (on Omega New Donk City instead of Final Destination)
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Incineroar
Ice Climbers
Ike
Chrom
Pit
Sonic
Ryu

Note: It's possible that characters who fight Master Hand also fight Crazy Hand on higher difficulties since I had King Dedede on this list as Master Hand/Crazy Hand but the video I saw had him only fighting Master Hand.

Crazy Hand:
Falco
Ken

Galleom:
K. Rool
Wolf
R.O.B
Snake
Dark Pit
Mega Man (as his second to last stage. Mega Man's final stage is against Dr. Mario as a reference to Dr. Wily.)

Dracula:
Luigi
Pac-Man
Simon
Richter

Ganon:
Link
Zelda
Young Link
Toon Link

Giga Bowser:
Mario
Captain Falcon

Marx:
Kirby
Inkling
Rosalina

Rathalos:
Yoshi
Marth
Duck Hunt
Bowser (not his final round. His final round is Mario who after being KO'd turns into Metal Mario)

Characters that don't fight regular bosses:
Bayonetta (Giant Palutena)
Jigglypuff (Giant DK)

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Master Hand:
Peach
Daisy
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Samus
Dark Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Fox
Pichu
Lucario
Greninja
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ness
Lucas
Lucina
Robin
Corrin
Mr. Game & Watch
Wario
Olimar
Villager
Isabelle
Wii Fit Trainer
Palutena
Little Mac
Shulk
Cloud

Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Incineroar
Ice Climbers
Ike
Chrom
Pit
Sonic
Ryu

Note: It's possible that characters who fight Master Hand also fight Crazy Hand on higher difficulties since I had King Dedede on this list as Master Hand/Crazy Hand but the video I saw had him only fighting Master Hand.

Crazy Hand:
Falco
Ken

Galleom:
K. Rool
Wolf
R.O.B
Snake
Dark Pit
Mega Man (as his second to last stage. Mega Man's final stage is against Dr. Mario as a reference to Dr. Wily.)

Dracula:
Luigi
Pac-Man
Simon
Richter

Ganon:
Link
Zelda
Young Link
Toon Link

Giga Bowser:
Mario
Captain Falcon

Marx:
Kirby
Inkling
Rosalina

Rathalos:
Yoshi
Marth
Duck Hunt

Jigglypuff (Giant DK)
Bowser (Mario who after being KO'd turns into Metal Mario with the theme from 64 playing)
whats even the point of having different final bosses for each character if most of them just fight master hand

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Master Hand:
Peach
Daisy
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Samus
Dark Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Fox
Pichu
Lucario
Greninja
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ness
Lucas
Lucina
Robin
Corrin
Mr. Game & Watch
Wario
Olimar
Villager
Isabelle
Wii Fit Trainer
Palutena
Little Mac
Shulk
Cloud

Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Incineroar
Ice Climbers
Ike
Chrom
Pit
Sonic
Ryu

Crazy Hand:
Falco
Ken

Galleom:
K. Rool
Wolf
R.O.B
Snake
Dark Pit

Dracula:
Luigi
Pac-Man
Simon
Richter

Ganon:
Link
Zelda
Young Link
Toon Link

Giga Bowser:
Mario
Captain Falcon

Marx:
Kirby
Inkling
Rosalina

Rathalos:
Yoshi
Marth
Duck Hunt

Jigglypuff (Giant DK)
Bowser (Mario who after being KO'd turns into Metal Mario with the theme from 64 playing)
Sonics should of been Galleom in refrence to fighting a big eggman robot

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Need to be unlocked.
THEY BROUGHT BACK THE ABSOLUTE WORST PART OF SMASH 4'S--!!!!!

wait wait wait wait wait, how exactly do you unlock them?

All third parties Mii costume got cut
But are all the non-series-specific ones still in? (I know mech suit for Brawlers is still in, but did the others make it as well?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom