• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Nothing like getting an infected left ear 2 days before Ultimate come out :upsidedown:.

D

Deleted member

We need FFIV content so we can say Star Wars is finally represented in Smash.
Why are the Metroid reps still low tier?

We won on everything else, but we still suck fighting against Mario spammers.

Why?
Just, like, wiggle around or something

D

Deleted member

Why?

I hope that the day we get Crash in, he will be able to stand against Pichu at least, because outside of K.Rool my favourite characters are low tier.
ZSS is pretty strong at least

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

Why?

I hope that the day we get Crash in, he will be able to stand against Pichu at least, because outside of K.Rool my favourite characters are low tier.
The only Metroid rep that is low tier is Samus. We still have nothing certain about the Ultimate reps.

D

Deleted member

Still? Zero Suit Samus was great in Smash 4, and it looks like she'll be good in Ultimate too.
But besides her?

-Varia Samus didn't get the Zelda treatment after people hoping for that.
-Dark Samus is slightly better than Varia, but apparently is still a low tier.
-Ridley also seems to be dissapointing because his size ruins his potential and makes him a easy target for many fighters.

We wished better.

D

Deleted member

The only Metroid rep that is low tier is Samus. We still have nothing certain about the Ultimate reps.
ZeRo is making videos where he rates the fighters from his experience testing them.

He claims that Varia Samus sucks, and many people who have played the game is claiming that Ridley suffers from his size.

I really wish people would stop rubbing it in. Don't you think I know my dreams are impossible...? :urg:
I mean...

People told me for many years that Metroid, Godzilla, Crash and the Fantastic Four were dead franchises that would never return... But they did, and in a neat way.

Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
ZeRo is making videos where he rates the fighters from his experience testing them.

He claims that Varia Samus sucks, and many people who have played the game is claiming that Ridley suffers from his size.
You should probably wait until the game is fully out and everything is labbed out before agreeing to any calls about whether a character sucks or not. Not too long ago we had many people (including Zero) saying Chrom sucked exclusively because of his recovery, but once someone posted his data up and shown how good he is otherwise he skyrocketed a few tiers on everyone's list. The competitive environment is way too volatile at the moment and we still have only scratched the surface with most characters, so any current tier placements should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord

I mean...

People told me for many years that Metroid, Godzilla, Crash and the Fantastic Four were dead franchises that would never return... But they did, and in a neat way.

Who knows?
They all returned however ;).. in a neat way X)

But besides her?

-Ridley also seems to be dissapointing because his size ruins his potential and makes him an easy target for many fighters.

We wished better.
Perfect bullying XD

Edit: Oops! Double post. sorry.

D

Deleted member

They all returned however ;).. in a neat way X)
When you think about it, my statement is true in some ways:

-Crash became one of the best selling Activision properties.
-Metroid is getting a lot of support from Nintendo.
-Shin Godzilla was dope, the anime trilogy is fine and the sequel to the 2014 movie looks promising.
-Marvel 2 in 1 is one of the best comics released by Marvel recently, and Marvel is promoting them more recently.

D

Deleted member

If we got any DQ rep, I want it to be Slime.
Erdrick and Slime as a Rosalina and Luma type character would be cool as well.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
When you think about it, my statement is true in some ways:

-Crash became one of the best selling Activision properties.
-Metroid is getting a lot of support from Nintendo.
-Shin Godzilla was dope, the anime trilogy is fine and the sequel to the 2014 movie looks promising.
-Marvel 2 in 1 is one of the best comics released by Marvel recently, and Marvel is promoting them more recently.
It is, I found it that way so I gave it a like.. also because you deserve many X)
Yeah, he made a very good comeback. We're getting Prime 4, my friend is a huge Godzilla fan and he's happy, a good sign and F4 is out of the Fox hole. All is good :)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You should probably wait until the game is fully out and everything is labbed out before agreeing to any calls about whether a character sucks or not. Not too long ago we had many people (including Zero) saying Chrom sucked exclusively because of his recovery, but once someone posted his data up and shown how good he is otherwise he skyrocketed a few tiers on everyone's list. The competitive environment is way too volatile at the moment and we still have only scratched the surface with most characters, so any current tier placements should be taken with a grain of salt.
I agree. You can't get a definite idea of where a character stands on the tier list just by watching gameplay. You have to actually play the character for yourself and see if the meta evolves as time moves on, which could take months. That's exactly how IC's rose to top tier in Brawl and Roy dropped to low tier in Smash 4.

(Although, I do think people are jumping the gun with Chrom in both directions. Some are exaggerating how bad his recovery is, while others downplay how lethal gimping can be for him.)

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Why?

We got Ridley after fighting for so long

I couldn't care less what position he's on the tier list

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If we got any DQ rep, I want it to be Slime.
Erdrick and Slime as a Rosalina and Luma type character would be cool as well.
ah yes
i remember when the Erdrick was the mother of an entire race of Slimes

(I'm not picking on your idea, I think the imagery it gave me was hilarious haha)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ah yes
i remember when the Erdrick was the mother of an entire race of Slimes

(I'm not picking on your idea, I think the imagery it gave me was hilarious haha)
I have a better idea for an Olimar or Rosalina-like character:

Pauline with the Minis.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
But besides her?

-Ridley also seems to be dissapointing because his size ruins his potential and makes him a easy target for many fighters.

We wished better.
Look at Zelda/Xenoblade

At least Metroid got two brand new characters
You gotta count your blessings

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We got Ridley after fighting for so long

I couldn't care less what position he's on the tier list
Seriously, I don't think we're in a position to complain when six months ago Ridley was considered to be "that one character who automatically makes any leak fake because it'll never happen".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seriously, I don't think we're in a position to complain when six months ago, Ridley was considered to be "that one character who automatically makes any leak fake because it'll never happen".
I got everything i wanted with the exception of Crash, and i am happy just for that.

But i will probably skip online matches again because of the tier stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Amazing how an extra two frames of active animation can make a difference in a move

I'm talking about my boi's forward smash is you haven't guessed...
Wishing to see Yoshi being good in general.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Seriously, I don't think we're in a position to complain when six months ago Ridley was considered to be "that one character who automatically makes any leak fake because it'll never happen".
Katalina when :denzel:

Wishing to see Yoshi being good in general.
Same
Even before I was interested in watching competitive play, whenever I did end up catching skilled Yoshi play it made me way more hype than your typical high tier play.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
But i probably skip online matches again because of the tier stuff.
You are exaggerating and clenching too hard on the tier list

Unless a character is awfully broken you won't even notice the tier rankings in the online mode (different case for high level play obviously).

It's not like I have a 10% win rate because I've almost exclusively played Jigglypuff and Ganondorf on For Glory

D

Deleted member

You are exaggerating and clenching too hard on the tier list

Unless a character is awfully broken you won't even notice the tier rankings in the online mode (different case for high level play obviously).

It's not like I have a 10% win rate because I've almost exclusively played Jigglypuff and Ganondorf on For Glory
Fair enough...

D

Deleted member

Tier lists are stupid and unnecessary
If you're good as a low tier character you can beat people who are bad or average at playing high-tier characters

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
If you're good as a low tier character you can beat people who are bad or average at playing high-tier characters
It will matter as soon as you encounter a top player with their top/high tier characters.
Then you should start switching.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What matters is whether a game does well enough for the company that made it to consider it a success or a failure. IX cost more to make than VII, and made less than half as much in return. That's the reason X, XII, XIII and XV are all in line with the tone set by VII while IX remains the outlier, which is exactly the point I was making. The one time they've tried to not simply remake VII, it failed to attract the same audience.
IX was specifically made to be a callback to the classic roots of the franchise; I remember them advertising it as such back around its released. The back of the case even has in big letters "The Crystal Comes back". That's the reason why the setting was more medieval compared to later settings; it had nothing to do with tone or sales.

D

Deleted member

It will matter when you encounter a top player with their top/high tier characters.
Then you should start switching.
Well, I mean. I've been playing as :ultkingdedede: for years. Literally, I'm a ****ing Jedi Youngling with him. I started when I was 3 years old. I just mashed buttons in Brawl, and I almost beat my older brothers that way.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wouldn't say they're stupid, but they certainly don't matter too much if you're just playing casually with friends and stuff.
At high level play, you'll be challenged much more but it's certainly possible.
You have to look at the context.

Living room Squad Strike tourney (given that you're not close friends with high level players lmao)? Don't worry about it
Serious locals or higher level tournaments? Probably pay a little more attention.

EVO?
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta:

I intentionally used to challenge the tier list and win, but what I didn't realize back then is that the tier list didn't matter at my level of play which is why I was able to successfully embarrass people with Pichu consistently in melee

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom