• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Okay, so we're looking at:

Agreed upon
  • SE Rep (any of the 7 on the list)
  • ??? (Lloyd or Yuri?)
Out there:
  • Lloyd or Yuri (if not under agreed upon; highly likely)
  • ???
  • ???
Is this correct Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

Last edited:

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Again, it's not 100% verified but it lines up with the current Intel and Sakurai saying that Heihachi would be too difficult to make work in Smash. Both are fan favorites while one is more recognizable by older Nintendo and Western fans so it's like choosing cake or pie over putting a gun in your mouth.
Do you it possible we could get both a Tales rep and Tekken rep? Its hard to see them pass up Heihachi once again as a DLC character even though he made that statement about him being difficult.

beans

Smash Lord
I don't think we should base whatever choice on Sakurai's interview when the DLC selection was made by Nintendo.
Then it comes to how much agency akurai still has over the DLC list.
Does he have any veto powers here? Do people take his preference and choose who Sakurai would like to work with?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Then it comes to how much agency akurai still has over the DLC list.
Does he have any veto powers here? Do people take his preference and choose who Sakurai would like to work with?
Based on his tweet, Sakurai stated that Nintendo made the choices and he decides whether or not he can make a moveset for them.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Lol...at this point I’m kinda hoping there’s at least one female DLC character. Look I GET IT wanting a character based on their sex IS A BAD REASON...
But sometimes, as a gay guy, you just want to play as a fabulous lady and clack around in their heels or something LOL.

But ANYWAY this dlc talk is interesting seems like we are getting closer to finding out who the 5 are:-3

I hope no one is trolling or tricking us hehe!!!
Im a gay chick myselfe and I couldnt care less if we got more or less girls in this game, as long as they fight good, thats all I care about

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd be fine with either Lloyd or Yuri, but I want Yuri more as I really enjoyed Tales of Vesperia and I really enjoyed Yuri. Also, Yuri was "far" from the goody-two-shoes protagonist, which is another reason I like him alot.

That said, I'm disappointed in anyone who thinks he's a shill pick because of his game coming to the Switch. He is "the" most popular Tales of character to the point where he was no longer allowed to participate in official character polls, while Lloyd still does. That alone, shows how damn popular Yuri is.
Clearly you haven't heard his incredibly masculine voice.
I would love it if Troy Baker came back to voice Yuri, but supposedly, he's not coming back to voice Yuri in the Definitive Edition for the extra scenes and it's going to be Grant George. Which is sad....Grant George is not a bad voice actor, but c'mon, Yuri was one of the characters that helped Troy Baker into the big leagues and he did so well for the role. :(

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That said, I'm disappointed in anyone who thinks he's a shill pick because of his game coming to the Switch. He is "the" most popular Tales of character to the point where he was no longer allowed to participate in official character polls, while Lloyd still does. That alone, shows how damn popular Yuri is.
Bear in mind, he's only being said to be a "shill pick" because his game is coming out soon. It's not being used as a negative connotation.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
You guys realize baby boomers are in their 60s right? Even Gen X is in their 40s by now.

Gamers in the 90s were far and away still Gen Y/millennials.
It's referring to the meme "30 year boomer."

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So is Yuri the "shill" character?
From what it looks like right now, yes.
No
Different slots for one of them.
If one gets in, then the others slot becomes up for grabs.
No, they're competing with each other. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said it specifically.

Also remember that none of this is confirmed either guys. Don't get too hyped just yet.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
*folds hands quietly*

I did say that the Boomer pick and the shill pick were competing, didn't I?
So it's between Yuri and Lloyd? It seems that we're getting a second Bandai Character from of the Tales of series... (I PREDICTED THAT!)

I really want Lloyd, but I guess Yuri isn't that bad either, but I'm still in for the former.

One last thing though... wasn't there an upcoming Tales of event that was supposed to be some sort of anniversary for the series? Maybe they may actually have a smash reveal there after all.

beans

Smash Lord
Based on his tweet, Sakurai stated that Nintendo made the choices and he decides whether or not he can make a moveset for them.
I mean, what happens if denies to work on someone?
Like "I cant make something new for this guy" or "This DLC fighter would be the same as this DLC fighter"?
Sakurai is someone who values variety in characters, moveset and playstyle. He already showed this with saying druing an iterview that he believed that there were enough FE reps, but the development convinced Sakurai that Corrin would be different enough to deserve being in Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well, it's just a rumor so far.

I reallllllly need to stress that I (nor Fatmanonice, for that matter) are sure on any DLC. I know how jumpy some people are to twist words. Fatman was referencing a rumor about Lloyd being DLC, but that's not a definitive leak. Additionally, the 2 names thing is also information that came from a random person on Discord who claimed to know somebody, so I'd be really iffy on that as well. When I have actual, confirmed info, I will be clear on that.

Please, do not twist my words and act like I've leaked anything here. Please, please, please.

beans

Smash Lord
From what it looks like right now, yes.

No, they're competing with each other. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said it specifically.

Also remember that none of this is confirmed either guys. Don't get too hyped just yet.
Hmm...
I take it as I've making wrong assumptions

and to reinforce

I reallllllly need to stress that I (nor Fatmanonice, for that matter) are sure on any DLC. I know how jumpy some people are to twist words. Fatman was referencing a rumor about Lloyd being DLC, but that's not a definitive leak. Additionally, the 2 names thing is also information that came from a random person on Discord who claimed to know somebody, so I'd be really iffy on that as well. When I have actual, confirmed info, I will be clear on that.

Please, do not twist my words and act like I've leaked anything here. Please, please, please.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I may be getting excited as **** here, but yes, I'll agree that we shouldn't take anything that has transpired here in the last few hours as fact. For me, it's something I'm going to keep in mind.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I mean, what happens if denies to work on someone?
Like "I cant make something new for this guy" or "This DLC fighter would be the same as this DLC fighter"?
Sakurai is someone who values variety in characters, moveset and playstyle. He already showed this with saying druing an iterview that he believed that there were enough FE reps, but the development convinced Sakurai that Corrin would be different enough to deserve being in Smash.
What you're describing somewhat reminds me of Heihachi's exclusion from Smash 4. Sakurai was briefly considering Heihachi as a character, but didn't put him in because his playstyle didn't fit well into Smash. And in the end, he didn't make it.

That's the most notable example I can think of.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
No, plus that goes against the definition of a shill anyways. A shill character is one that is put in the game solely to promote an unreleased game. Again, this character isn't even that bad of a shill. They sort of boop the nose of the concept instead of deep throat french kiss it like a Three Thrones character would. I'll also say that nobody created past 2014 is currently being considered.
Another thing to note is that a character you're familiar with that gets in due to promotional purposes isn't necessarily a shill pick either. There's a difference between pre-existing characters whose fanbases grew organically over time as we got to know them better, and characters we don't know yet, but are forced down on us because they expect us to buy the characters anyway.

Frankly, I don't care about the outcome either way. 2 of my friends play competitively, every DLC character will be experimented with and used in tournaments (usage varies), and the roster would feel incomplete without the extras anyway. There's also the modding scene for much later, so I can just mess around with any character I don't care for and change their appearance accordingly.

Fixed that for you. ;)
Nuh-uh! I can do you one better! Four!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
These characters are not verified. I think I specified that.

It's probably best to take Tales Of with a great deal of salt but hope for the best.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So Lloyd is the L character? I thought it was a character from a franchise that was no longer thriving.

But okay.

So my bets are Banjo-Kazooie, Erdrick, and Lloyd then for DLC. So who's the not so shill character?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyone mind showing me this whole "Name starts with L" where its coming from?

Also this "Shill Character"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom