• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
What you're describing somewhat reminds me of Heihachi's exclusion from Smash 4. Sakurai was briefly considering Heihachi as a character, but didn't put him in because his playstyle didn't fit well into Smash. And in the end, he didn't make it.

That's the most notable example I can think of.
I believe it would be similar but different to Heihachi.
While it comes down to gameplay, Ultimate's DLC is confirmed to involve Nintendo in the picks.
Can Sakurai still say "I cant work on this character" due to gameplay reasons when Nintendo asks him to make something?
It ends back into how much Sakurai's personnal vision matters to Nintendo's business.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Anyone mind showing me this whole "Name starts with L" where its coming from?

Also this "Shill Character"?
The character speculaed that starts with L is Lloyd. The "shill character" that's also been speculated is apparently Yuri.

It seems that Lloyd and Yuri are fighting for the same spot.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
He technically said than none of the 5 announced DLC characters were echoes.

Meaning that they technically could release more echoes down the line (although I'm somewhat doubtful of that).
I'm rather doubtful we'll even get more characters after this. 82 seems like a pretty good rounded number.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Heihachi's not likely at the moment anyway. His JP VA died this year and VA Roles are serious business in Japan. It's likely the reason Snake's Codecs weren't updated since Colonel Campbell's JP VA Died.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I believe it would be similar but different to Heihachi.
While it comes down to gameplay, Ultimate's DLC is confirmed to involve Nintendo in the picks.
Can Sakurai still say "I cant work on this character" due to gameplay reasons when Nintendo asks him to make something?
It ends back into how much Sakurai's personnal vision matters to Nintendo's business.
Based on the context of the tweet, yes.
Sakurai could reject a character for gameplay reasons even if Nintendo suggests that character.
But, according to my observation, that's the extent of his input on who gets in as DLC.
If Nintendo wants a character and Sakurai can make that character work, that character is in.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Ok, I've been away since Friday-ish with little internet access.

Has anything interesting happened? Verg/hitagi posting or something like that?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
All these combo videos I seen of Smash Ultimate scares the hell out of me.

Nonetheless, I am pretty excited to see where the competitive scene will go from here.
It'll be like Brawl, except for everyone being Meta Knight.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You know what I don't get. The fact that they said that no characters past 2014 are being CONSIDERED. Like, i thought they told us the characters were already locked down. How is there any debate still. It almost feels like Fantonice and Polar Panda are just messing with us.
Who's they? And do you have a source for this info?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You know what I don't get. The fact that they said that no characters past 2014 are being CONSIDERED. Like, i thought they told us the characters were already locked down. How is there any debate still. It almost feels like Fantonice and Polar Panda are just messing with us.
May have just been in regards to the "L" and "Y" characters.

However, Panda said it's not a definitive leak, it's just a rumor.

I don't believe they're messing with us; Panda has a legitimate source who has told him Smash-related info that became true, and he's verified said source with Fatmanonice and numerous other users (not me; I never asked).

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well, in Metroid Prime 3 but more specifically Federation Force, Sylux is alive
I'm not saying Nintendo can't ret-con it. But you never see Sylux; I looked up the FF cutscene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-goCv7zyBWU
It could be anyone. You don't see him in the MP3 scene either, only a ship. I've showed him dying. Give me one reason to believe he's the same character.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I follow the game too don't worry my man. I'm a big SE nerd here. But the point wasn't that it won't make money! The point was that you can apply the same for Smash Bros-

If money is the leading factor, it would be stupid to not go for Sora or Sephiroth on that list of 7 for Exemple :bobomb:
Great; now tell me what you know on DLC o.o
...JK

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I'm still pissed Yuri Lowell isn't voiced by Yuri Lowenthal.

Like... what?
I believe Yuri Lowenthal did in fact audition to voice Yuri Lowell, but I think he was passed over because he already voiced a previous Tales of protagonist.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
*folds hands quietly*

I did say that the Boomer pick and the shill pick were competing, didn't I?
That info isn't verified at all fyi. Far to early to be teasing stuff like that to the people, as it'll likely end up blowing up in your face

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Screenshot_20181202-161711~2.png

Based on everything competitive we've learned so far and with my own interests in mind, this is probably my day-1 characters selection.

Richter and Shulk as primaries, 3 potential secondaries in the middle, and all the "Interested in them but have to play them first" at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom