• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
AND ATOM
OVER PLASTIC MAN

Still mad
I was okay with Atom. But Plastic Man 1000% should have been in. I’m blaming Raiden for that one.

But I’m interested to see if we get anything at TGA. Definitely seems plausible, and every other leaker is suggesting the Squeenix character.

At least that’ll take away the mystery...

Gotta say though, Seph is a really interesting possibility. He’s super iconic after all. I guess nobody considered him because we all exaggerate how long his sword is, and that fanrule we made up where no third party series can have two unique reps. And SE’s stinginess...

But if we’re getting a second unique from a series, why isn’t it Tails? :urg:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
>speculates since March about who is going to be in the game
>the Square List is basically who was speculated to be in the game
>upset that speculation actually did a decent job of narrowing down the list, leading to it not being that surprising

No offense, but:
View attachment 180810
Like......

I feel like saying this...

But Sakurai doesn't have to continually shock you.

Reps are not meant to be shocking. They're meant to be people who are the top of the top or at least fresh Nintendo faces.

So of course the list is outside of Luminary filled with people that people have previously talked about for Smash or just talk about a lot when it comes to Square Enix.

This thinking is why I was able to figure out way before she was announced that Bayonetta would be in Smash. Because it made SENSE. She was a fresh face that Nintendo was investing in. Sakurai always looks for fresh Nintendo faces and there she was.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ok, fine, argue all you want that we technically discussed Seph and Crono in passing even though we've just been going over Sora, Geno and Slime/Erdrick. But I want to know whom the **** even knew Luminaria existed before the list.

MAKE. CASTLEVANIA. THE NEXT. FIRE EMBLEM.
More like make it the next Devil May Cry, because it's gonna take a DMCV miracle to pull itself out of that Lords of Shadow reboot.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I already bought it, Im not too concerned about the DLC. Anyone added at this point is just the icing on the cake. Also can't be worse than Injustice 2's fighter pass in where they added Raiden from MK over Static.
I'm still ****ing mad over the fact that TNMT was chosen to be in game instead of Rorschach, I actually like him from Watchman, Not just edgy, I like how his mind works and that he want to tell everyone the truth over the whole **** in watchman.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Honestly think Red Hood, Starfire, and Black Manta were great additions. A were the TMNT just because that was cool. More MK characters and Atom and Enchantress kind of made a lot of it meh at best to me. All the cool picks were overshadowed by self advertising characters who already have their own fighters. Hellboy was neat though.

Though I gave up on the game before it all even released
The last pack was ****ing garbage
Plastic Man was my Geno for Injustice 2 if that makes sense

Hellboy was great

I'm still ****ing mad over the fact that TNMT was chosen to be in game instead of Rorschach, I actually like him from Watchman, Not just edgy, I like how his mind works and that he want to tell everyone the truth over the whole **** in watchman.
Not a smart idea to place the dude from the comic about violence not being Too Good into the fighting game

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I have to be honest, I consider it odd how Sylux has been pushed as a promotional rep so popularly when back with Smash 4's DLC, Corrin got (and still gets) a lot of crap for being exactly that. It's even odder to me since while Sylux has had a playable appearance in Hunters, a lot of his support is banking on MP4 role, something of which we know nothing about. With Corrin while their game wasn't released in the west, it was in Japan before they were chosen and western fans were aware of who they were and what their role would be before their announcement as one of the final two DLC characters thanks to Nintendo Directs and advertising.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Like......

Reps are not meant to be shocking. They're meant to be people who are the top of the top or at least fresh Nintendo faces.

So of course the list is outside of Luminary filled with people people have previous talked about for Smash or just talk about a lot when it comes to Square Enix.

This thinking is why I was able to figure out way before she was announced that Bayonetta would be in Smash. Because it made SENSE. She was a fresh face that Nintendo was investing in. Sakurai always looks for fresh Nintendo faces and there she was.
Err, but there's also a case to be made about "icons" and historical impact.
Like, I don't believe any of the other 3rd parties are particularly relevant anymore, but they're gaming legends in and of themselves.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Y'all ****ing liars if you say that the list isn't 100% surprising when literally no one took Sora seriously until Septembers, and Crono ever since two weeks ago.

Sora was Disney hating circlejerking and everyone saying MUH HES NOT A SQUARE-ENIX REP
Crono was met with "Well uh Geno is the same but with fan demand!"

That's my only take about this discussion

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Err, but there's also a case to be made about "icons" and historical impact.
Like, I don't believe any of the other 3rd parties are particularly relevant anymore, but they're gaming legends in and of themselves.
Huh? All the third parties except perhaps Cloud and Pac-Man still have relevance.

Y'all ****ing liars if you say that the list isn't 100% surprising when literally no one took Sora seriously until Septembers, and Crono ever since two weeks ago.

Sora was Disney hating circlejerking and everyone saying MUH HES NOT A SQUARE-ENIX REP

Damn bro throwing shade at my "Geno and Crono are in similar boats" take I felt that

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Huh so we may get something revealed at the VGA?

Place your bets folks!

Banjo-Kazooie in response to their 20th Anniversary
Sora in commemoration to Kingdom Hearts III
Sylux announced alongside Metroid Prime 4
Can I place my bets against these three? If I had to put bets on three characters it would be Erdrick, the Luminary, or Slime

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hmmm interesting, if im not mistaken Static was being worked on. One of the artists from the game even released an image of what he would have looked like. Still though had they at least chosen Black Lightning over Raiden, people would not have been as angry.

I haven't played Injustice 2 or have been involved in its community, but I know that Black Lighting is one of Raiden's costumes. I'm assuming they'd rather have that fighter 100% be Black Lightning and not just when you select that skin?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Y'know, after just listening to some Super Paper Mario music...

I didn't care too much about getting Paper Mario in Smash before despite loving SPM (I still have yet to finish TTYD and 64; technically I also had Sticker Star but I think I lost it along with some other DS/3DS games), I guess because we already have Mario, but that music...

I need that music, especially Memory + Bounding Through Time; or, heh, all of it.

What I don't understand is why I didn't already feel like saying this when I even made a sort-of Memory remix...

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm just gonna put this out there:

Xenosaga Trilogy remaster/remake is announced.
KOS-MOS is revealed as a DLC character for Ultimate.

Make it happen Bandai Namco/Nintendo.
That... would actually make me very happy

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Hmmm interesting, if im not mistaken Static was being worked on. One of the artists from the game even released an image of what he would have looked like. Still though had they at least chosen Black Lightning over Raiden, people would not have been as angry.

He was being worked on. Dropped because rights issues

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Damn bro throwing shade at my "Geno and Crono are in similar boats" take I felt that
Oh no! It wasn't even for you! I clearly remember people using the same argument back then when I talked about Crono in the dead """"leak"""" thread and more than once here when I mentioned him. Pretty sure @Shishœ know that feels too.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Agreed anyone over Raiden honestly, Sub Zero was enough MK representation. Adding Raiden went too far, I would have taken Constantine, Etrigan, Rorschach, Plastic man or Static over Raiden. Adding a Black Lightning skin was Netherealms way of knowing that Raiden was not a popular pick.

The last pack was ****ing garbage
Plastic Man was my Geno for Injustice 2 if that makes sense

Hellboy was great

Not a smart idea to place the dude from the comic about violence not being Too Good into the fighting game
PlasticMan would have been great, and Hellboy is prettty great. However I really would have preferred Spawn over him.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I have to be honest, I consider it odd how Sylux has been pushed as a promotional rep so popularly when back with Smash 4's DLC, Corrin got (and still gets) a lot of crap for being exactly that. It's even odder to me since while Sylux has had a playable appearance in Hunters, a lot of his support is banking on MP4 role, something of which we know nothing about. With Corrin while their game wasn't released in the west, it was in Japan before they were chosen and western fans were aware of who they were and what their role would be before their announcement as one of the final two DLC characters thanks to Nintendo Directs and advertising.
The difference is people want this character so promotion is alright because it's a character they want. If a character they don't want is considered a promotion then it's a bad thing. Just a little thing called bias. lol

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh no! It wasn't even for you! I clearly remember people using the same argument back then when I talked about Crono in the dead """"leak"""" thread and more than once here when I mentioned him. Pretty sure @Shishœ know that feels too.
Was havin a laff at ya no worries Nekoo I know you wouldn't do that
It's not the smartest argument for sure

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

People at least talked about them and considered them none the less. It wasn't always positive of course, but who the **** is?

The only part of the list that surprised me when I saw it was the new dude from the new Dragon Quest game, cause I felt as if it was purely ''Why even waste your time putting that on the list Square? No one is going to believe that ****."

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Turns out we're all wrong, in order to save money on VA, the Square Enix rep is The Quiet Man, enjoy!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
GUYS I HAVE THIS WEIRD IDEA

So with all the DLC fighters that we may be getting, what if every choice was a WTF character?

PP was the opening one and it gets weirder and weirder with each new reveal

Thoughts?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Like......

So of course the list is outside of Luminary filled with people people have previous talked about for Smash or just talk about a lot when it comes to Square Enix.

Honestly I think fans spend way too much time taking the term "rep" literally and thinking of things to represent when it's never been just about repping.

Not all Smash picks are picked for the same reasons. If they were, characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B, at the very least, probably wouldn't be playable. The roster would actually potentially be boring.

That's not even to say that people who have speculated for some time now have all the best ideas, but there are some ideas that just...don't seem like they're really thought out or make much sense. I won't name them because they're my personal opinion, but I think there's too much bias involved, but frankly I think the Smash fanbase is basically a bunch of different fanbases mixing together and not being able to see eye to eye on character picks.

Plus I generally think the whole "repping" thing gets blown way out of proportion though.

Then there's always the people who support things to be the "odd one out" when really it's just a ridiculous pick that obviously wasn't going to be in, but was used as a springboard for attention lol. That's not for all oddball picks, but some...definitely are.

You're right though. It helps to have the experience of previous Smash games when making our predictions!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Shhh, It's painful to see Rorschach not in Injustice or any watchmen referance in it. Just let me mourn in peace ok
but it completely goes against the themes of the book to have rorschach in injustice
Huh? All the third parties except perhaps Cloud and Pac-Man still have relevance.

Pac-Man and Cloud both have games. Nothing major for Pac-Man, but he doesn't really need it. Cloud has FFVII remake.
Rorschach is supposed to be seen as an insane lunatic in a bad way my dude.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, I'd agree on a lot of the 3rd parties like megaman, sonic, pac-man, and ryu but some others?

They're brought out for promotional purposes but we won't be seeing them make a "real" appearance in an actual game again. We're not going to see characters like Cloud, Snake, or Simon/Richter again, not unless they do a re-release their games or in the case of Cloud, make an entirely new remake.

Regardless, they're still pretty iconic irregardless of not appearing in a game for a decade or more.

D

Deleted member

Castlevania characters that could be playable in Smash:
  1. Alucard
  2. Dracula
  3. Maria
  4. Sypha
  5. Soma Cruz
  6. Grant Danasty
  7. Death
  8. Carmilla
  9. Charlotte
  10. Death Note Simon
  11. Every other Belmont
  12. Except Trevor
  13. Shanoa
  14. Hector
  15. Isaac
  16. Dio
  17. Kid Dracula
  18. Shaft
  19. Those two bosses from castlevania 4 no one cares about
  20. Lisa Tepes
  21. The Lords of Shadow reboot
  22. Master Librarian
  23. Axe Knight
  24. Skeleton
  25. Medusa Head

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Ok, fine, argue all you want that we technically discussed Seph and Crono in passing even though we've just been going over Sora, Geno and Slime/Erdrick. But I want to know whom the **** even knew Luminaria existed before the list.

MAKE. CASTLEVANIA. THE NEXT. FIRE EMBLEM.
What is a Luminaria?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You won't know pain over Injustice 2 until you're a Spawn fan. After 4 plus years of speculation of Spawn, tons of fan outcry, acknowledgement by Boon, and a **** ton of teases for the character to end up with absolutely nothing crushed my enthusiasm to play that game after the 3rd pack. Like yeah, TMNT is cool. Hellboy was an AMAZING choice. But if you're going to purposely work up a fanbase on a character capitalize on that. Dont leave us hanging. You knew we wanted him and we got ****.

Last time I'm buying a NetherRealm game early tbh. I'll wait for the inevitable Komplete, XL, Legendaty, whatever edition from now on.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Castlevania characters that could be playable in Smash:
  1. Alucard
  2. Dracula
  3. Maria
  4. Sypha
  5. Soma Cruz
  6. Grant Danasty
  7. Death
  8. Carmilla
  9. Charlotte
  10. Death Note Simon
  11. Every other Belmont
  12. Except Trevor
  13. Shanoa
  14. Hector
  15. Isaac
  16. Dio
  17. Kid Dracula
  18. Shaft
  19. Those two bosses from castlevania 4 no one cares about
  20. Lisa Tepes
  21. The Lords of Shadow reboot
  22. Master Librarian
  23. Axe Knight
  24. Skeleton
  25. Medusa Head
Captain N Simon

You won't know pain over Injustice 2 until you're a Spawn fan. After 4 plus years of speculation of Spawn, tons of fan outcry, acknowledgement by Boon, and a **** ton of teases for the character to end up with absolutely nothing crushed my enthusiasm to play that game after the 3rd pack. Like yeah, TMNT is cool. Hellboy was an AMAZING choice. But if you're going to purposely work up a fanbase on a character capitalize on that. Dont leave us hanging. You knew we wanted him and we got ****.

Last time I'm buying a NetherRealm game early tbh. I'll wait for the inevitable Komplete, XL, Legendaty, whatever edition from now on.
spawn is the gonna be the ridley of nrs games lol
Ods merge rhis pl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom