• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Thanks friends, sorry I had to get a bit snappy.

I don't care who the Square character is really (since I have zero attachment to the company), but I think it's Geno honestly.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'm not saying Smash is 100% profit only. It's one of the most passionate games I've ever seen. But all games require profit to thrive. If we want more passion, then we have to understand it's going to require more profit. There's no way around it.
I mean, it seems like there's both a macro and a micro level. On a macro level, K. Rool for example, would never have been added if not for the ballot, which assured Nintendo that he was a popular character that might drive sales among Smash fans. But on the micro level, Sakurai and his team depicted K. Rool as faithfully as humanly possible, when technically they didn't need to. So it's a balance of different things.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I would prefer another Sonic character...or 5 more...than another SE character, but Geno or Lara Croft would be perfectly fine

Shroob

Sup?
Personally, I don't think we're even going to know who the first real DLC character is for awhile.

Reddit boi told us outright that when he was working on the game, the only one available was Piranha Plant, and while we don't know when he stopped working on it, he posted that in September.

I can't really expect a reveal at the VGAs knowing this, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I bet we get our first DLC character reveal in a Nintendo direct in February or January. When PP is released, they announce another DLC character kind of like how they did with Luca with Mewtwo, and then it probably won't release til April or something.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Sephiroth? I don't see it in all honesty, datamined files are usually misleading he is probably just a hidden assist trophy or boss or something

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I would prefer another Sonic character...or 5 more...than another SE character, but Geno or Lara Croft would be perfectly fine
Yessss, give me Tails and Geno (maybe Quote? Pretty please? XD) and I'm set for life in Smash for the rest of eternity.

Personally, I don't think we're even going to know who the first real DLC character is for awhile.

Reddit boi told us outright that when he was working on the game, the only one available was Piranha Plant, and while we don't know when he stopped working on it, he posted that in September.

I can't really expect a reveal at the VGAs knowing this, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I can't imagine the character appearing until sometime in early 2019.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yes, it is true. :)
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I hate to be "that guy", but the interview answer in no way implies that Spirits don't deconfirm. Sakurai still says he wanted a way to include "characters other than fighters", implying that the Spirits are not meant to be fighters at any point. That being said, it's certainly possible that some Spirits could see promotions of sorts after our first(?) Fighter's Pass, where the future beyond that point is ripe for speculation. Heck, even Rex has a shot assuming censorship isn't an issue for his lady Blades.

I am of the opinion that Spirits deconfirm characters (for now), since Piranha Plant lacks its own variations while the ones that people keep bringing up are just alternate versions of the unequippable fighter characters themselves.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

The only one available for playing in-game was Piranha Plant, yeah, but that doesn't mean they weren't working on the others.

3 months of time to get that character ready for a brief trailer seems do-able to me.

I hate to be "that guy", but the interview answer in no way implies that Spirits don't deconfirm. Sakurai still says he wanted a way to include "characters other than fighters", implying that the Spirits are not meant to be fighters at any point. That being said, it's certainly possible that some Spirits could see promotions of sorts after our first(?) Fighter's Pass, where the future beyond that point is ripe for speculation. Heck, even Rex has a shot assuming censorship isn't an issue for his lady Blades.

I am of the opinion that Spirits deconfirm characters (for now), since Piranha Plant lacks its own variations while the ones that people keep bringing up are just alternate versions of the unequippable fighter characters themselves.
Selective bias; numerous other Mario minions lack Spirits, not just PP.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion

Piranha Plant either didn't make it into the base game in time or is a special exception as a planned free DLC to be worked on during the base game development. The Fighters Pass stuff I'd assume started full development right after Ultimate went gold a few weeks ago. Maybe we get a model to reveal at VGAs like Mewtwo, but in my own speculation, the DLC shouldn't be too far along worked on to be anything substantial yet.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The only one available for playing in-game was Piranha Plant, yeah, but that doesn't mean they weren't working on the others.

3 months of time to get that character ready for a brief trailer seems do-able to me.

Selective bias; numerous other Mario minions lack Spirits, not just PP.
At best, we're probably only going to get a Mewtwo-like reveal at the VGAs, I don't see a full trailer happening this soon.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I'm not saying Smash is 100% profit only. It's one of the most passionate games I've ever seen. But all games require profit to thrive. If we want more passion, then we have to understand it's going to require more profit. There's no way around it.
don't worry, i got what you were saying and is true.. tahts why i meant with even the most passionate projects need to be sustainable. Yeah.. profit is needed, and thats never bad (it only becomes a problem when maxzimizing profit becomes the imperative in detriment of the product quality, or the workforce, or teh consumer)

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I don’t expect anything of it, but it’ll never stop being bizarre how Porky isn’t in this game in almost anyway.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
This man gets it. I still wonder if the lack of new Sonic reps is Sakurai not considering any or SEGA just saying no. I'm starting to think Shadow was never considered for Echo honestly.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Vergeben's list of names he wasn't sure enough to share himself got leaked for him by someone with a vendetta. There are multiple points of failure that don't even include getting picked as one out of seven.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t expect anything of it, but it’ll never stop being bizarre how Porky isn’t in this game in almost anyway.
ikr the only Porky representation is the Absolutely Safe Capsule Spirit, the Porky's Theme track, and New Pork City, but nothing with Porky himself (unless you count the King P statue in the New Pork background for whatever reason).

Roberk

Smash Champion
With Chrom and all of his Chromceptions/brokenness, he's a better joke character than Piranha Plant at this point lmao.

Edit: I really hope this is just the Twitter user screwing around and switching out the voice lines because in another one of their posts Robin says his Lucina quote against Marth. If not, we're definitely gonna need some Day 1 patches.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Sephiroth
-Erdrick
-DQ XI Protag
-Slime
-Crono
-Sora
-Geno

So from these sora is probably a no

Geno is a maybe

I suppose sephiroth has the most atvantage since final fantasy is presented already

My only problem is the stage what would be a second final fantasy stage

And no way in **** they will let his sword be that long that’s bayonetta level written all over it

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I mean, did any of us expect our first DLC to be revealed a month PRE-release?
True, but Piranha Plant isn't exactly in the same situation as the characters in the Fighters Pass (as far as we know). If Sakurai was being truthful in that direct, than they didn't start developing any of the 5 DLC characters until very recently, after the base game was completely.

We only have a week and a half until the VGAs.

D

Deleted member

With Chrom and all of his Chromceptions/brokenness, he's a better joke character than Piranha Plant at this point lmao.
I'm glad I was here when Chrom became the Zoidberg of Smash Bros.
He gets in and they still show him zero respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberk

Smash Champion
The kid who thinks up Smash in his imagination must have rolled two Chroms in Heroes.
Plot twist, the FE inceptions are intentional to account for all of the alts the Smash characters have in Heroes.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

Edit: I really hope this is just the Twitter user screwing around and switching out the voice lines because in another one of their posts Robin says his Lucina quote against Marth. If not, we're definitely gonna need some Day 1 patches.
The reddit tester who got Piranha Plant right said the game would be buggy at launch, I'm not surprised if that day one patch he also mentioned will add some fixes.
Also Chrom's clapping animation is really weird, hilarious, and awful.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Er... Why does Chrom's clapping animation look like he's dealing out a deck of cards?

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait til the SE Rep is revealed. Make it end, Nintendo, put us out of our misery
I'd be heaps cool with any Square Enix rep, except for Slime (doubt I'd buy) or the Dragon Quest XI guy. Chrono, Sora, Geno, Sephiroth, they'd all be really awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom