• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Still, it would bee nice to have some sort of equivalent of trophies for playable characters, assist trophies, bosses, and basically everything that already have a 3d model in the game.

Guilty Gear xrd did a very cool thing with its playable characters that you could unlock "trophies" of the characters in different poses and pose them on dioramas for taking screenshots. we did kinda had something similar on wiiu, but much more limited, would been cool if we had something as flexible as that Guilty Gear mode :o
You /have/ those. Fighter Spirits, remember?
And AT's, bosses, all those 3D models..generally have Spirits.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
PR Rubbish. No one forced them to rush development, take an extra year to develop the game and include the DLC characters for free while they're at it. Cutting trophies is just because they can't sell them as DLC or market them to kids like they can with Amiibos
If you change the development timeline from three years to four years, you increase the cost of production by 33%, but you'll be selling the game for the same amount.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Mario vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Pac-man vs Snake vs Ryu vs Simon vs Cloud. 8 PLAYER SMASH.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
PR Rubbish. No one forced them to rush development, take an extra year to develop the game and include the DLC characters for free while they're at it. Cutting trophies is just because they can't sell them as DLC or market them to kids like they can with Amiibos
Look, I'm in the same boat as you, I don't like the fact that trophies were cut... at all.
But I think you seriously underestimate how long it takes to render trophies.
Spirits add a new element to the trophy formula w/ the battle simulations.
They provide more meaning to collecting characters beyond just collecting them and viewing them in a menu.
It's a way to provide more interactions while also lowering the time spent needed to develop the images/models.
If they had to make 1000+ trophies, there would be no guarantee we would get things like "Everyone is here" and 103 stages in the game.

And there is no way they are going to pass on paid DLC.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is what I'd hope for out of a Sephiroth Pack
  • Sephiroth (Character)
  • Zack Fair (Echo Fighter for Cloud)
  • Aerith Gainsborough (Assist Trophy)
  • Planet's Core (Stage)
  • Music: One Winged Angel (FF7), One Winged Angel (AC), The World's Enemy, Birth of a God, J-E-N-O-V-A, The Price of Freedom
  • Chocobo Mii Costume
  • Geno Mii Costume
Unfortunately, we all know we wouldn't get that much.
This is wonderful, but as cool as Planet's Core is, please consider:

nibelheimfire_4.jpg

Nibelheim.

Hot damn!

One can dream that it actually goes on that long. I somehow doubt it will though. Still, it's good to be prepared just in case.
Also worth mentionning that some characters, those with different models as alts, take multiple slots in the code (such as Bowser Jr.- 8 slots, Olimar/Alph - 2 slots ...).

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
You /have/ those. Fighter Spirits, remember?
And AT's, bosses, all those 3D models..generally have Spirits.
I don't know what does fighter spirits exactly are since ive avoided most spoilers... are they 3d models you can watch?
if then.. there is exactly what im talking about :p
If you change the development timeline from three years to four years, you increase the cost of production by 33%, but you'll be selling the game for the same amount.
Plus, the switch seems to have been betting on smash hitting this release date

View attachment 180168

Nibelheim.
This please! DX

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't know what does fighter spirits exactly are since ive avoided most spoilers... are they 3d models you can watch?
if then.. there is exactly what im talking about :p

Plus, the switch seems to have been betting on smash hitting this release date
They aren't 3D models sadly.

I get what you're saying. But as nice as it'd be you just can't fit those in and have this game hit on time.

KMDP

Smash Legend
View attachment 180168
Nibelheim.
****, you're right. How about this, then?

We get the Sephiroth pack exactly as I said.

Then later we get a Tifa Fighter Pack, which has Tifa (naturally), even more FF7 songs and Nibelheim as a stage.

...The only way to make up for FF7's lack of content.
Final Fantasy VII fans live the Life of Riley, while other Squeenix fans cry in the corner.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
View attachment 180167
Do you want this man to die? 30 more slots is like 5 more years worth of dlc
can this guy find a worthy succesor so he isn't permanently chained to smash and gets back to what is really important... making a new castlevania?

They aren't 3D models sadly.

I get what you're saying. But as nice as it'd be you just can't fit those in and have this game hit on time.
Yeah, i get you... still i hope we also get more modes as DLC. i would actually pay for some of that stuff.. (dunno if i would pay for a model viewer, but i would certainly pay for stage builder that doesn't suck and break teh targets)

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So apparently "new modes" have been discovered through datamining. Since I'm avoiding most spoilers, I haven't looked at what those modes could be, as thats the only spoiler I'm interested in, well, spoiling, but I'm sure other stuff I dont want spoiled may spill through. Can someone post or PM me what those modes are?

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
So apparently "new modes" have been discovered through datamining. Since I'm avoiding most spoilers, I haven't looked at what those modes could be, as thats the only spoiler I'm interested in, well, spoiling, but I'm sure other stuff I dont want spoiled may spill through. Can someone post or PM me what those modes are?
I agree, I'm confused

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
This is what I'd hope for out of a Sephiroth Pack
  • Sephiroth (Character)
  • Zack Fair (Echo Fighter for Cloud)
  • Aerith Gainsborough (Assist Trophy)
  • Planet's Core (Stage)
  • Music: One Winged Angel (FF7), One Winged Angel (AC), The World's Enemy, Birth of a God, J-E-N-O-V-A, The Price of Freedom
  • Chocobo Mii Costume
  • Geno Mii Costume
Unfortunately, we all know we wouldn't get that much.
The thing about Sephiroth is would Square really make another FF7 stage and FF7 music tracks? Its possible Im just not sure they would. Id definitely be happy if it was Sephiroth as he would have an insane moveset.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

Then later we get a Tifa Fighter Pack, which has Tifa (naturally), even more FF7 songs and Nibelheim as a stage.

Final Fantasy VII fans live the Life of Riley, while other Squeenix fans cry in the corner.
Why cant we just get Final Fantasy music in general? I'd love select tracks from FF6, or even just give us Chrono music and Mana tracks.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
can this guy find a worthy succesor so he isn't permanently chained to smash and gets back to what is really important... making a new castlevania?

Yeah, i get you... still i hope we also get more modes as DLC. i would actually pay for some of that stuff.. (dunno if i would pay for a model viewer, but i would certainly pay for stage builder that doesn't suck and break teh targets)
Wait is break the targets not returning?

Also I'd definitely pay for stage builder if it was dlc...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So what do you all think Sephiroth's chances are?
Personally I have thoughts that he's the bait character on the list.

Think about it this way.

People expect Geno to be a bait character because there's a lot of speculation about him anyways. So yes he makes sense as a bait character in some ways.

But people will also see Sephiroth on a list and go ''Oh Cloud's already in Smash, so of course they'll add his villain next!"

''Oh and they just announced FF7 coming to Switch." ''Oh that must be where more FF music is coming in!"

These are very easy puzzle pieces a lot of people will form when they see his name.

I don't know. It's not something that's certain, but I can see how Sephiroth might get added to a list to throw people off the real scent.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Think about it this way.

People expect Geno to be a bait character because there's a lot of speculation about him anyways. So yes he makes sense as a bait character in some ways.

But people will also see Sephiroth on a list and go ''Oh Cloud's already in Smash, so of course they'll add his villain next!"

''Oh and they just announced FF7 coming to Switch." ''Oh that must be where more FF music is coming in!"

These are very easy puzzle pieces a lot of people will form when they see his name.

I don't know. It's not something that's certain, but I can see how Sephiroth might get added to a list to throw people off the real scent.
And hopefully the real addition is Crono

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Did y'all hear about the Banjo-Kazooie fanmade music video being taken down in Nintendo's termination spree?

Well...it also happened to a fanmade Beware the Forest's Mushrooms that was on the same channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnYTY660ZQ&index=295&list=LLTiJ1CN9tOJJx8aGEOBfCMQ

Now, you might say "Yeah, that's because the channel was terminated, duh."

However, the messages I've seen on terminated videos of Smash Bros. music said that the channel was either actually terminated, was closed by the user, or that the video was just removed for copyright claims from third-parties or something (or the user removed it).

These two videos were taken down simply because of Nintendo of America, Inc. making copyright claims.

This gives us two possibilities:

1. Nintendo, in their haste, accidentally claimed these videos before they actually just straight-up terminated the channel.

or

2. In their haste, almost the same situation, except they mistook it for something they had in their plans for Banjo-Kazooie, missing that it said "fanmade."

Another video on their channel that I liked, a Pokemon track in Smash Ultimate, was taken down because of copyright claims by third-parties, so there were different messages on the channel.

Now, it could just be the former situation, but I'd still find it odd how they let their employees or bots or whatever claim B-K stuff as part of their own copyrights, and maybe SMRPG as well (I assume the music is owned by SE).

Either way, it's funny how they let whoever or whatever they have terminating channels and videos claim B-K and SMRPG stuff as part of their own copyrights, when that stuff belongs to other companies entirely.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So what do you all think Sephiroth's chances are?
Not great honestly.

Despite him being one of the characters I'd prefer to have on that list, I think that unless he undergoes some serious changes, he wouldn't be balanced.
So it becomes a matter of staying faithful to the source material or a balanced fighter.
And unfortunately with Sephiroth, I don't think that's really possible.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

Think about it this way.

Actually for me its the opposite Sephiroth is the one I would least expect. Because Cloud is already in the game and representing the FF franchise. Plus if they added Sephiroth he would come with his own stage and music. That being said since Cloud is already in, what stage and music would they give Sephiroth? To me Sephiroth would seem the least likely, so its slightly possible he is not a bait character.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

some nerd: You can't do this! Too much final fantasy 7!!!
Me, mashing the "download" button on tifa, fingers in my ears: ESTUANS INTERIUS IRA VEHEMENTI ESTUANS INTERIUS IRA VEHEMENTI SEPHIROTH SEPHIROTH

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

Think about it this way.

Are we talking about the list of 7 SE characters? Because if so unless we assume we are getting 6 SE reps as DLC wouldn't all but one be considered bait?

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
For the final damn time, Can someone seriously post the "new modes" that were datamined. Seriously, stop ignoring this ****.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Did y'all hear about the Banjo-Kazooie fanmade music video being taken down in Nintendo's termination spree?

Well...it also happened to a fanmade Beware the Forest's Mushrooms that was on the same channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnYTY660ZQ&index=295&list=LLTiJ1CN9tOJJx8aGEOBfCMQ

However, the messages I've seen on terminated videos of Smash Bros. music said that the channel was either actually terminated, was closed by the user, or that the video was just removed for copyright claims from third-parties or something (or the user removed it).

These two videos were taken down simply because of Nintendo of America, Inc. making copyright claims.

1. Nintendo, in their haste, accidentally claimed these videos before they actually just straight-up terminated the channel.

or

2. In their haste, almost the same situation, except they mistook it for something they had in their plans for Banjo-Kazooie, missing that it said "fanmade."

Another video on their channel that I liked, a Pokemon track in Smash Ultimate, was taken down because of copyright claims by third-parties, so there were different messages on the channel.

Now, it could just be the former situation, but I'd still find it odd how they let their employees or bots or whatever claim B-K stuff as part of their own copyrights, and maybe SMRPG as well (I assume the music is owned by SE).

Either way, it's funny how they let whoever or whatever they have terminating channels and videos claim B-K and SMRPG stuff as part of their own copyrights, when that stuff belongs to other companies entirely.
There was also a fanmade Golden Sun song. It was just a screwup unless Isaac's being promoted now too.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Actually for me its the opposite Sephiroth is the one I would least expect. Because Cloud is already in the game and representing the FF franchise. Plus if they added Sephiroth he would come with his own stage and music. That being said since Cloud is already in, what stage and music would they give Sephiroth? To me Sephiroth would seem the least likely, so its slightly possible he is not a bait character.
Plus Cloud already was a design challenge for sakurai (that ended semi busted anyways)

Sephirot is like cloud cranked up to eleven....

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

or

Something something copyright strike on the whole playlist, not just a single video.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And hopefully the real addition is Crono
I think there's a possibility, but it's a small one, but I think that about all the names on the list currently. They all have merits for their inclusion.

Personally however Luminary is probably especially ****ed compared to everyone else. Sakurai tends to favor iconic individuals and if we believe him to have worked with Nintendo to pick these reps goes with the Square rep? It's very likely a more elder Dragon Quest rep would happen.

Are we talking about the list of 7 SE characters? Because if so unless we assume we are getting 6 SE reps as DLC wouldn't all but one be considered bait?
True, but I'm just thinking why ANY of them might be bait. The hardest ones to be bait are Crono, Dragon Quest content, and Sora of course. There's no sort of real easy connection to Smash.

And people when they connect with something, the easiest ones are the ones that come to their mind first. Though people have made a Smash connection with Crono recently and that backwards mural video as a Chrono Trigger traveling backwards in time hint.

And that was before anyone really knew Crono was potentially the Square rep.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
You are correct, all but one are fakes. The question is which is the one. I think its between The Luminary and Erdrcik, but thats just my opinion.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

or

That is saddening to hear. :(

I mean, those new pieces of potential evidence, are cool and all, but, it's unfortunate that those two videos, which were completely unrelated to this situation, had to be taken down...

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
True, but I'm just thinking why ANY of them might be bait. The hardest ones to be bait are Crono, Dragon Quest content, and Sora of course. There's no sort of real easy connection to Smash.

And people when they connect with something, the easiest ones are the ones that come to their mind first. Though people have made a Smash connection with Crono recently and that backwards mural video as a Chrono Trigger traveling backwards in time hint.

And that was before anyone really knew Crono was potentially the Square rep.
don't chrono also go to the future.. and even teh end of time?

I don't think the "go back in time" connection fits that good honestly.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Something something copyright strike on the whole playlist, not just a single video.
Either way, they just invaded Rare's and SE's copyrights simply by having those videos included :troll:

There was also a fanmade Golden Sun song. It was just a screwup unless Isaac's being promoted now too.
I do think it may more-likely be a mistake, most-likely a fault because of their bots; no way they take down fanmade music, especially when it's not even their own IPs.

Although, admittedly at first I thought it could mean something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom