• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So what do you all think Sephiroth's chances are?
I'd say, out of all the possible Square Enix reps...

Sephiroth (and Tifa, though she's not on the SE list) is(/are) the most likely Final Fantasy characters after Cloud, assuming they'd limit themselves to just FF7; if they branch out further, then I'd expect Warrior of Light, Black Mage, Bartz or Terra. Maybe Moogle and/or Chocobo if they want a more general FF rep.

Geno is a very complicated issue. He's got just as much going for him as he does hurting his chances, we all know the tale.

Lara Croft (also not on the list) is incredibly well known, but held back by her use of firearms. Sakurai would definitely use a more classical design for her (source: :ultpacman::ultsimon:), but he might hybridize her with the modern incarnation of Lara (making her a bow-wielder) to get around that issue.

The DQ reps are logical picks, but have many "adult problems" which might hurt their chances (licensing costs + relative obscurity in the west are a nasty combo), Erdrick is the most possible out of the three we've heard of.

Sora is even worse for "adult problems" than the DQ characters, but would definitely be a huge deal.

Finally, Crono would be awesome, but... he's in almost the same boat as Geno.

This is about as much as I'm willing to say regarding talking about the character's chances.
some nerd: You can't do this! Too much final fantasy 7!!!
Me, mashing the "download" button on tifa, fingers in my ears: ESTUANS INTERIUS IRA VEHEMENTI ESTUANS INTERIUS IRA VEHEMENTI SEPHIROTH SEPHIROTH
You and me both.

Smash Bros. x Dissidia

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
where are people getting all of these fake icons to put in their tags?
We have a thread dedicated to fanmade Ultimate-style stock icons, if that's what you're asking.
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-stock-icons.455706/
There was also a fanmade Golden Sun song. It was just a screwup unless Isaac's being promoted now too.
Grinch Leak was real all along

No seriously where's this "Square Enix Character List" everyone's talking about? Can someone please post it for the uninformed?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
If you change the development timeline from three years to four years, you increase the cost of production by 33%, but you'll be selling the game for the same amount.
So? It's smash they could have changed the dev time from 3 to 1 year and saved even more $$$ it's about making the best game possible not profit margins

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So? It's smash they could have changed the dev time from 3 to 1 year and saved even more $$$ it's about making the best game possible not profit margins
Uh, no, it's about profit margins too. Stop acting like Smash is 100% a passion project. So much of this game is business, and you can't delay this title-THE killer app for the Switch especially this holiday season-and expect it to sell enough to make a real profit.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Another thought I had about Sephiroth is once you have added him to the game's roster?

Would they not go back and somehow incorporate him as Cloud's classic mode boss or a form of his?

Their rivalry is pretty well noted to the level of Mario and Bowser and Link and Ganon.

And Nomura would already be in the conversation with Sephiroth so they could have technically already done this, since you have to talk to him about Cloud anyways.

Cloud is back, why not add a form of Sephiroth as his boss to throw off the later DLC of Sephiroth as a fighter?

**** maybe I'm over thinking this, because personally I wouldn't be surprised if Square just really truly doesn't give a ****.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
For the final damn time, Can someone seriously post the "new modes" that were datamined. Seriously, stop ignoring this ****.
My dude it's the same **** that's been talked about the last few days with Coin Launcher and Home Run Contest assets being found in the code. It's why the rumor of the day one patch that adds modes has any credence.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Uh, no, it's about profit margins too. Stop acting like Smash is 100% a passion project. So much of this game is business, and you can't delay this title-THE killer app for the Switch especially this holiday season-and expect it to sell enough to make a real profit.
If it wasn't a passion project Sakurai wouldn't have killed himself with crunching development time for brawl and melee not would we have the roster we have today.

Without the money hungry corporates at Nintendo pushing the game in a certain direction I guarantee Sakurai would have kept trophies and done many things differently if he had complete control over smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I heard someone mention in the Geno thread that there was a tweet today suggesting spirits are not deconfirmations. Is this actually true?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If it wasn't a passion project Sakurai wouldn't have killed himself with crunching development time for brawl and melee not would we have the roster we have today.

Without the money hungry corporates at Nintendo pushing the game in a certain direction I guarantee Sakurai would have kept trophies and done many things differently if he had complete control over smash.
I'm so tired of this. Do you realize there are people below Sakurai who need to be paid to feed their families and have a livelihood or are they just ants to you? It's not a passion project. And it doesn't matter what you think Sakurai would've done, sorry-it's literally a business pursuit. Hypothetically it can be anything else but it simply isn't.

Also, a part of Sakurai injuring himself is due to the harsh work ethic of Japan. So instead of assuming "well it's 100% love" do some research into Japan's work ethic.

Shroob

Sup?
A damn shame none of us here have an early copy of the game.

From what I recall, Coin Launcher's reference was a music track, yet I can't imagine that it'd be used on a stage, unless I'm wrong of course.

Unless it really is just a music track that's being used for a generic Smash stage like Battlefield, I can't imagine why they'd bring it back from Brawl otherwise. HRC you can handwave away by just saying "It's leftover data from Smash 4", you can't do the same with the Coin Launcher music unless it belongs to a stage I feel.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The thoughts of up to possibly 30 DLCs in total is going to be a nightmare for Sakurai

But I can see cash flying wveeywhwre

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If my Switch somehow let me use that pre-load of the game on it earlier than intended.

I wouldn't be here with you nerds discussing whether overrated villain who only gets talked about so much because he killed a pretty sweet girl or star posing as a children's action figure from a Mario game that was kept alive by the pure power of nostalgia or a bunch of creations by that guy who drew Goku or that kid who fights with ****ing Donald and Goofy is getting into Smash Brothers.

-sigh-

That'd be nice.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
These are what they think the new modes are based on the coding...
Discovery mode, unbound mode, chess mode, and tower defense mode.
"Unbound"

Hoopa confirmed.

"Tower Defense"

Monkey & Bloon confirmed.

I heard someone mention in the Geno thread that there was a tweet today suggesting spirits are not deconfirmations. Is this actually true?
I think it was something about how Cloud's Spirit just uses his Smash Bros. render (so I assume that means characters with only one piece of original artwork may as well use their Smash render as well if added as playable characters), but idk, there may have been other stuff as well.

edit: oh, nevermind, it wasn't about Cloud at all, maybe someone else said that idk.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A damn shame none of us here have an early copy of the game.

From what I recall, Coin Launcher's reference was a music track, yet I can't imagine that it'd be used on a stage, unless I'm wrong of course.

Unless it really is just a music track that's being used for a generic Smash stage like Battlefield, I can't imagine why they'd bring it back from Brawl otherwise. HRC you can handwave away by just saying "It's leftover data from Smash 4", you can't do the same with the Coin Launcher music unless it belongs to a stage I feel.
I mean, you could have an early copy of the game. Nothing stopping you aside from the judgement of 99% of the thread.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
If CD Project red can make the witcher 3 with a small dev team and turn a healthy profit literally nothing anyone says can convince me that I'm not being realistic here.

I know very well that corporations are for profit companies and I have done various profit maximsations as well risk analysis for companys during my time studying finance and economics at uni. But releasing the best game possible is more profitable for a company in the long term rather than cutting corners for short term profit maximisation.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If CD Project red can make the witcher 3 with a small dev team and turn a healthy profit literally nothing anyone says can convince me that I'm not being realistic here.

I know very well that corporations are for profit companies and have done various profit maximsations as well risk analysis for companys during my time studying finance and economics at uni. But releasing the best game possible is more profitable for a company in the long term rather than cutting corners for short term profit maximastion.
Try telling that to EA and Activision.

Shroob

Sup?

I know very well that corporations are for profit companies and have done various profit maximsations as well risk analysis for companys during my time studying finance and economics at uni. But releasing the best game possible is more profitable for a company in the long term rather than cutting corners for short term profit maximastion.
Witcher 3 is also Single player. Single-player content in Smash is not the primary focus. And it never has been.

D

Deleted member

Oi, I hate to sound rude but I'd like to be caught up on this Square character list, please.
-Sephiroth
-Erdrick
-DQ XI Protag
-Slime
-Crono
-Sora
-Geno
We seemingly know for sure it's not Sora, and even though people are saying that Geno shouldn't be taken seriously no insiders have given a reason why beyond personal bias.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

You cannot seriously be telling me you just compared The Witcher 3 to ****ing SMASH BROS ULTIMATE in terms of workload

Look man if you wanna look me in the eye and tell me 74 characters, 103 stages, all balanced from what we've seen so far, with a HUGE story mode, over a thousand Spirits to collect giving tons of replay value, an intricate online system, numerous other modes to enjoy such as Classic Mode, all in one game is cutting corners then you can but I'm quite honestly done because that's just an objectively bull**** argument.

And, no, releasing Ultimate next year would be much less profitable. The Switch needs this as it's still in its earlier phases-Smash is a knockout title. It's why people will buy the Switch. I know this because it's why I bought the Switch, so don't say "well no one will do that". You sell it next year, you miss an entire year of sales, you miss the holiday window, you devote thousands upon thousands more dollars for a game that will be released with a $60 price tag no matter what. Releasing this year is max profit. I don't know what to tell you dude.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Greninja'd.

So here I shall say that instead is there any good streams of people playing the game? Someone PM me. I le board.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

I'm so tired of this. Do you realize there are people below Sakurai who need to be paid to feed their families and have a livelihood or are they just ants to you? It's not a passion project. And it doesn't matter what you think Sakurai would've done, sorry-it's literally a business pursuit. Hypothetically it can be anything else but it simply isn't.

Also, a part of Sakurai injuring himself is due to the harsh work ethic of Japan. So instead of assuming "well it's 100% love" do some research into Japan's work ethic.
Uhm..i think that being a passion project is not completely out of teh question... or at least is not "just a work that I do in teh most proffesional way" for sakurai.. but even the most passion projects needs to be sustaintable. even if you aren't aiming for the biggest ammount of profit with the least ammount of work possible, you still need to be sustaintable. meaning that if you can do it in 3 years instead of 4 then you will do it in 3 years.

I don't think that Nintendo are looking to Maximize it's isntant profits with smash, but looking at a more "long term benefits"...which i Honestly think that is something lacking on the industry right now. but both sony and nintendo get extra benefits by having amazing content filled exclusives instead of immediate profit by cutting costs.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That’s a lot of SE characters to choose from...and none are Lara Croft

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Try telling that to EA and Activision.
BFV flopped due to EA's damaged reputation from trying to extort gamers with microtransactions with the well publicized Battlefront 2 debacle.

Activision' shares fell significantly with the announcement of Diablo immortal andeven the devs are becoming concerned with Activision's money grubbing practices.

Nintendo themselves are a bit anti consumer too with the region locking, high cost of accessories relative to their manufacturing cost, as well as the faux scarcity marketing strategy they implement. Oh and the switch online issue hasn't helped.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't really suggest anything for either side of the argument of "spirits disconfirm characters"
I mean, if those were his intentions, why not just come out with it (or at least something similar)?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Uhm..i think that being a passion project is not completely out of teh question... or at least is not "just a work that I do in teh most proffesional way" for sakurai.. but even the most passion projects needs to be sustaintable. even if you aren't aiming for the biggest ammount of profit with the least ammount of work possible, you still need to be sustaintable. meaning that if you can do it in 3 years instead of 4 then you will do it in 3 years.

I don't think that Nintendo are looking to Maximize it's isntant profits with smash, but looking at a more "long term benefits"...which i Honestly think that is something lacking on the industry right now. but both sony and nintendo get extra benefits by having amazing content filled exclusives instead of immediate profit by cutting costs.
I'm not saying Smash is 100% profit only. It's one of the most passionate games I've ever seen. But all games require profit to thrive. If we want more passion, then we have to understand it's going to require more profit. There's no way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom