• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Was there some kind of coding thing in the game that suggested more than 5 DLC characters? I've been seeing something like that thrown around a lot recently.

Edit: I guess I mean 6 since I forgot about :ultpiranha:
There are 30 empty slots in the code.
Basically it just means if they choose to pursue DLC further they have 30 slots already to go off of.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
You say that, but I don't see Sephiroth chucking pebbles he you.

Besides, if you want a villain, have I got a guy to sell you:
Vayne Carudas Solidor

The only villain in the entire goddamn franchise that just straight up punches you in the face.
He's also a politician, so I guess Final Fantasy's version of Senator Armstrong.
Unpopular opinion... but FFXII gotta be one of my favorites in the series... Really liked the combat and really liked the 3 protagonist and 3 support characters plot structure.

i once tried to play dissidia in a friends psvita...

i didnt understand anything :D

Honestly if Dissidia had a fun looking gameplay i would love to give it a try.
>Joker
>Not Demi-fiend
View attachment 180158
C'mon Svart.
Why must you do this to me?
Gomenasaiii XD

Honestly though.. ive seen curiously support for joker in smash picking up on teh strangest places ever Though XD

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
You uncultured people keep forgetting about one of the best Square villains.
DEE92F3B-1B6C-45F4-91FB-B668D6FF207A.jpeg
Mitochondria Eve

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I guess if I got to choose the 5 dlc characters it’d be like 5 people that nobody outside of big nintendo fans would know lol

Also I’m really into th idea of Psaro being playable now lol

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
It's gotta be the OG. Or plot twist, both, but those are the only 2 tracks for the stage :bobomb:
What if its a mixture between the two that could be really interesting. And if that happens that would be really lame ha.

Neither. :p
This is my favourite version of the song: :)
I have to admit that one does sound great, I would really miss the electric guitar version. However if this one was added I wouldn't mind it.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Was there some kind of coding thing in the game that suggested more than 5 DLC characters? I've been seeing something like that thrown around a lot recently.

Edit: I guess I mean 6 since I forgot about :ultpiranha:
Allegedly there’s spots for 30 dlc characters

You uncultured people keep forgetting about one of the best Square villains.
View attachment 180165Mitochondria Eve
Parasite Eve representation would be pretty cool honestly

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You know, now that we know who the possible SE reps are, wouldn't finding out what rumor "ruffled SE's feathers" be the best way to discern which character it is? The "ruffled feather" rumor is still a thing, right?
FEATHERS ARE ON WINGS
ONE WINGED ANGEL
CONFIRMED

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone have access to the characters "sprites" for the game? I want their neutral poses for an art project I want to work on. (I want to do a Shovel Knight-esque Body Swap Mode series of drawings for Ultimate).

I know the game isn't out yet, so people probably can't actually get me them, but any ideas on how to get me my reference pics when it's released would also be welcome.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity if Sephiroth is in. What version of One Winged Angel will they use? My personal favorite is the Advent Children version as that electric guitar part is amazing.

The Regular Version

The Advent Children Version
Regular One winged angel is cool and all... but i really would love an actual remix of that song.... wonder if remixing FF songs is completely out of teh question?

Blizzard Pack:
Diablo
Li Ming
Tyrael
Queen of Blades
Zeratul
albeit Starcraft and Diablo are the coolers Blizzard Ips... seems to be missing a little bit of warcraft XD aaand activision would also be part of a pack (with at least crash bandicot )

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity how likely is it that we will find out the first DLC at The Game Awards? I know Spawn Wave has spoken of the possibility if im not mistaken. So is it possible we will know the second SE rep in just a few more days?
If we don't get that second Nintendo direct this month like he predicted, you may want to temper your faith and expectations.

LetterO

Smash Lord
So Geno now suddenly has a good chance again? I'm happy but damn he keeps flip flopping to likely to not likely back to likely.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There are 30 empty slots in the code.
Basically it just means if they choose to pursue DLC further they have 30 slots already to go off of.
Allegedly there’s spots for 30 dlc characters

Parasite Eve representation would be pretty cool honestly
Hot damn!

One can dream that it actually goes on that long. I somehow doubt it will though. Still, it's good to be prepared just in case.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Hot damn!

One can dream that it actually goes on that long. I somehow doubt it will though. Still, it's good to be prepared just in case.
Honestly I don’t expect 30 every happening. At most, and this being the best case scenario, we would get 3 seasons of 5 characters.

Likeliest being 2 seasons.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Out of curiosity if Sephiroth is in. What version of One Winged Angel will they use? My personal favorite is the Advent Children version as that electric guitar part is amazing.

The Regular Version

The Advent Children Version
See this post I made a little bit ago.
I imagine that if Sephiroth was the SE character, the songs he'd bring would be One-Winged Angel and Birth of a God.

Possibly the two One-Winged Angel variants (AC and CC) if Sakurai really wants to stretch it. :laugh:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Sephiroth ain’t happening imo,

1. FF itself only has two ripped songs, unless Square is trolling us by giving a buck load of more content with him which I highly.

2.He would the the first 3rd Party villian adder which would be kinda weird for :ultcloud: get one before :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu:etc.

Not surprising there, turned out that MTP admitted to create the grinch leak

Found on random stream that prob got reported by him
Didn’t that jerk say he didn’t make it? Unless he lied about that.

Guess I shouldn’t too shocked, this is the same idiot that bought a thousand :ultrosalina: amiibos just to spite her fans. (ironically giving Nintendo money making them push her more)

Going through all that trouble completely separating the characters, drawing the newcomers by scratch, framing two companies and ruining a man’s name for a sick prank would just prove he’s a psychopath.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

Do you agree with their list?

Eh...

Personally, my favorite 5 trailers/reveals of all Smash time have been

Honorable Mention
d57.gif

1531369116130.gif

Rosalina Trailer (4)
This is technically my favorite trailer of all time, just due to how adorable Kirby and the Luma are, and Donkey Kong (his facial expressions) poking Kirby. But as far as hype goes, I was happy Rosalina made it in, but that fact didn't set my world on fire...

Five
Screen+Shot+2015-11-12+at+3.55.27+PM.jpg

Cloud (4)
Not since the world-changing, mind-blowing reveal of Snake in Brawl was I ever taken by as much of a surprise of a character reveal as Cloud's. The only reason this doesn't rank higher, to be honest, is because I had quit Smash 4 before Cloud's announcement, so it was a cool moment, but it felt flat, knowing personally I was not coming back to this installment of Smash, so...

Four
Greninja_super_smash_bros_artwork1.jpg

Greninja & Charizard reveal (4)
I'm being honest here; Smash 4's "hype train" did nothing for me. I enjoyed almost all the trailers, but felt very little enthusiasm for any of the characters themselves. Even the Smash 4 website was a downer compared to the substantial Brawl Dojo before. So when the 50 Facts Extravaganza ended with a trailer, I, like many, thought the mystery character being teased was going to be Mewtwo. I was blown away when it was Greninja instead (one of my fave 6th Genners). I never even considered it could be a playable rep for Smash 4. This was honestly the single, only trailer that got me excited for Smash 4.

Three
DkFaSZjV4AASMUF.jpg

Simon reveal (Ultimate)
I've admitted that I honestly didn't realize (despite HOW OBVIOUS IT WAS FIVE SECONDS IN) that this was a Castlevania trailer until right when Death showed up. So what shouldn't have been a surprise, was to me. Anyway I thought the trailer was very good, Simon and Richter looked awesome (their models) and looked fun to play, and it just kept going, and going. Everything looked good, and it made me change mind on the subject of Castlevania content; once upon a time, I was indifferent to the idea of Simon (or anything Castlevania) being repped in Smash, after this trailer, I was on board. And after finally seeing actual, full gameplay of Simon/Richter, I plan on playing him/them.

Two
king-k-rool-1533742762217_1280w.jpg

King K. Rool reveal (Ultimate)
This trailer did not catch me off-guard. Literally, at the end of Sakurai's direct, when the screen started shaking and you could hear stomping in the background, I knew this was going to be K. Rool's debut. And when they started to show Nintendo heroes vs. their villains/rivals, it became painstakingly obvious (if I was too stupid to see the Castlevania referrences at the start of the Simon reveal, I felt the same for others [no offense] if by this point, no one thought maybe KKR...) Despite not being surprised at all, this trailer was just too fun and too energetic not to make it my 2nd favorite trailer ever. And I'm biased; King K. Rool was my Ridley. I wanted him since Brawl, and after this long, he's here! And his trailer did not disappointed. Even if I didn't care for this character, like I said, this trailer was just too awesome in quality to not me a fave of mine.

One
hqdefault.jpg

ssbbreveal.png

0oxgx204zewy.gif

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Debut Trailer (Brawl)

Smash 64 didn't have any pre-hype. It just kinda happened, and came out. Melee had me excited, but it was also so close to the Gamecube's pre-release and release, that most of my excitement for Melee was probably blurred with my hype for the next big Nintendo system. Smash 4's debut trailer left me wondering "that's it???", and Ultimate's trailer I enjoyed, but only AFTER it ened (I was just soooooo stressed watching it, hoping Wolf and the Ice Climbers would show up or not, wondering who ELSE got cut, how much or how little would we be able to have confirmed in this first trailer, was King K. Rool showing up). After EVERYONE IS HERE dropped halfway through, I was able to give off a relieved sigh, and just enjoyed the damn thing.

But Brawl's debut trailer was special, and nothing Smash has surpassed it yet. For me anyway. I had wanted Pit in Melee, and it didn't happen. Not only was he the 2nd newcomer confirmed, they gave him an incredible redesign. He can split his bow into dual blades! He has lightning fast arrows you can bend and steer and control after firing them! I wanted another Kirby rep in Melee, and it didn't happen. Then Meta-Knight was the first newcomer confirmed. I wanted Super Moves to make it into a Smash game. Final Smashes were confirmed in this trailer.

And the biggest holy **** bombshell was the unexpected, unteased reveal of Snake in Smash. When people fantasied 3rd-party characters, no one imagined Snake. No one could have seen someone like Snake, a grizzled realistically proportioned human with guns from a serious (mostly) franchise about war, violence, cloning, and government conspiracies, with very limited history with Nintendo, in a party fighter with cartoony mascots like Mario and Pikachu. Sonic? Of course. That was everyone's number one pipedream, and he would have fit in the cast perfectly. So Snake came out of absolutely no where, and we will never get a heart-stopping surprise like that, ever again. In fact, this actually made Sonic's eventual reveal seem paltry by comparison; you can't capture that lightning in a bottle twice, and like I said, Sonic felt like a no-brainer (doubly so after Snake pretty much "opened the floodgates"...if Snake of all characters got into Smash, SURELY Sonic had to be next, so it felt less like a shocker, and more like an inevitability. Snake stole the "Sonic" Thunder...) Cloud would echo this, but even he and his reveal couldn't match Snake's.

This is my absolute favorite Trailer/Reveal in Smash history.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Eh...

Honorable Mention
View attachment 180146
View attachment 180151
Rosalina Trailer (4)
This is technically my favorite trailer of all time, just due to how adorable Kirby and the Luma are, and Donkey Kong (his facial expressions) poking Kirby. But as far as hype goes, I was happy Rosalina made it in, but that fact didn't set my world on fire...

Five
View attachment 180154
Cloud (4)
Not since the world-changing, mind-blowing reveal of Snake in Brawl was I ever taken by as much of a surprise of a character reveal as Cloud's. The only reason this doesn't rank higher, to be honest, is because I had quit Smash 4 before Cloud's announcement, so it was a cool moment, but it felt flat, knowing personally I was not coming back to this installment of Smash, so...

Four
View attachment 180153
I'm being honest here; Smash 4's "hype train" did nothing for me. I enjoyed almost all the trailers, but felt very little enthusiasm for any of the characters themselves. Even the Smash 4 website was a downer compared to the substantial Brawl Dojo before. So when the 50 Facts Extravaganza ended with a trailer, I, like many, thought the mystery character being teased was going to be Mewtwo. I was blown away when it was Greninja instead (one of my fave 6th Genners). I never even considered it could be a playable rep for Smash 4. This was honestly the single, only trailer that got me excited for Smash 4.

Three
View attachment 180157
Simon reveal (Ultimate)
I've admitted that I honestly didn't realize (despite HOW OBVIOUS IT WAS FIVE SECONDS IN) that this was a Castlevania trailer until right when Death showed up. So what shouldn't have been a surprise, was to me. Anyway I thought the trailer was very good, Simon and Richter looked awesome (their models) and looked fun to play, and it just kept going, and going. Everything looked good, and it made me change mind on the subject of Castlevania content; once upon a time, I was indifferent to the idea of Simon (or anything Castlevania) being repped in Smash, after this trailer, I was on board. And after finally seeing actual, full gameplay of Simon/Richter, I plan on playing him/them.

Two
View attachment 180160
This trailer did not catch me off-guard. Literally, at the end of Sakurai's direct, when the screen started shaking and you could hear stomping in the background, I knew this was going to be K. Rool's debut. And when they started to show Nintendo heroes vs. their villains/rivals, it became painstakingly obvious (if I was too stupid to see the Castlevania referrences at the start of the Simon reveal, I felt the same for others [no offense] if by this point, no one thought maybe KKR...) Despite not being surprised at all, this trailer was just too fun and too energetic not to make it my 2nd favorite trailer ever. And I'm biased; King K. Rool was my Ridley. I wanted him since Brawl, and after this long, he's here! And his trailer did not disappointed. Even if I didn't care for this character, like I said, this trailer was just too awesome in quality to not me a fave of mine.

One
View attachment 180162
View attachment 180163
View attachment 180164

Smash 64 didn't have any pre-hype. It just kinda happened, and came out. Melee had me excited, but it was also so close to the Gamecube's pre-release and release, that most of my excitement for Melee was probably blurred with my hype for the next big Nintendo system. Smash 4's debut trailer left me wondering "that's it???", and Ultimate's trailer I enjoyed, but only AFTER it ened (I was just soooooo stressed watching it, hoping Wolf and the Ice Climbers would show up or not, wondering who ELSE got cut, how much or how little would we be able to have confirmed in this first trailer, was King K. Rool showing up). After EVERYONE IS HERE dropped halfway through, I was able to give off a relieved sigh, and just enjoyed the damn thing.

But Brawl's debut trailer was special, and nothing Smash has surpassed it yet. For me anyway. I had wanted Pit in Melee, and it didn't happen. Not only was he the 2nd newcomer confirmed, they gave him an incredible redesign. He can split his bow into dual blades! He has lightning fast arrows you can bend and steer and control after firing them! I wanted another Kirby rep in Melee, and it didn't happen. Then Meta-Knight was the first newcomer confirmed. I wanted Super Moves to make it into a Smash game. Final Smashes were confirmed in this trailer.

And the biggest holy **** bombshell was the unexpected, unteased reveal of Snake in Smash. When people fantasied 3rd-party characters, no one imagined Snake. No one could have seen someone like Snake, a grizzled realistically proportioned human with guns from a serious (mostly) franchise about war, violence, cloning, and government conspiracies, with very limited history with Nintendo, in a party fighter with cartoony mascots like Mario and Pikachu. Sonic? Of course. That was everyone's number one pipedream, and he would have fit in the cast perfectly. So Snake came out of absolutely no where, and we will never get a heart-stopping surprise like that, ever again. In fact, this actually made Sonic's eventual reveal seem paltry by comparison; you can't capture that lightning in a bottle twice, and like I said, Sonic felt like a no-brainer (doubly so after Snake pretty much "opened the floodgates"...if Snake of all characters got into Smash, SURELY Sonic had to be next, so it felt less like a shocker, and more like an inevitability. Snake stole the "Sonic" Thunder...) Cloud would echo this, but even he and his reveal couldn't match Snake's.

Would you mind naming the list Mojo gave so we can rank it much easier?

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
See this post I made a little bit ago.
That Crisis Core version is interesting, I hadn't really payed attention to it until you pointed it out. If they do add a Crisis Core variant of One Winged Angel then I really hope they add a remix of The Price Of Freedom, as that song would be amazing.

LetterO

Smash Lord

Eh...

Honorable Mention
View attachment 180146
View attachment 180151
Rosalina Trailer (4)

Five
View attachment 180154
Cloud (4)

Four
View attachment 180153

Three
View attachment 180157
Simon reveal (Ultimate)

Two
View attachment 180160

One
View attachment 180162
View attachment 180163
View attachment 180164

I like how Isabelle is above Duck Hunt even though everyone saw her from a mile away.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Eh...

Honorable Mention
View attachment 180146
View attachment 180151
Rosalina Trailer (4)

Five
View attachment 180154
Cloud (4)

Four
View attachment 180153

Three
View attachment 180157
Simon reveal (Ultimate)

Two
View attachment 180160

One
View attachment 180162
View attachment 180163
View attachment 180164

What were the top 10 for people that don’t wanna watch watchmojo

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it's been stated that cutting trophies was not only decided early on but allowed them to have all this stuff. Tbh I'd rather have all this stuff now then wait a long time just to have trophies
PR Rubbish. No one forced them to rush development, take an extra year to develop the game and include the DLC characters for free while they're at it. Cutting trophies is just because they can't sell them as DLC or market them to kids like they can with Amiibos

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
PR Rubbish. No one forced them to rush development, take an extra year to develop the game and include the DLC characters for free while they're at it. Cutting trophies is just because they can't sell them as DLC or market them to kids like they can with Amiibos
I don't know how to explain to you that Spirits give infinitely more single player value than trophies ever have

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And idk how many times I have to say it but the two are not mutually exclusive you can have both...
No, you can't.
You cannot have the amount of content this game already does, Spirits included, and also have trophies.

If you want trophies, you're telling me you'd wait probably over half a year for this game to be released.
For some trophies you're gonna look at once and then probably never again. Sorry, but that's just the hard fact of the matter.

You simply can't have both and also have the amount of content this game does.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
What were the top 10 for people that don’t wanna watch watchmojo
10 Duck Hunt (4)
9 Pac-Man (4)
8 Isabelle
7 Mega Man (4)
6 Cloud (4)
5 King K. Rool
4 Simon
3 Snake (Brawl)
2 Ridley
1 Sonic (Brawl)

KMDP

Smash Legend
That Crisis Core version is interesting, I hadn't really payed attention to it until you pointed it out. If they do add a Crisis Core variant of One Winged Angel then I really hope they add a remix of The Price Of Freedom, as that song would be amazing.

This is what I'd hope for out of a Sephiroth Pack
  • Sephiroth (Character)
  • Zack Fair (Echo Fighter for Cloud)
  • Aerith Gainsborough (Assist Trophy)
  • Planet's Core (Stage)
  • Music: One Winged Angel (FF7), One Winged Angel (AC), The World's Enemy, Birth of a God, J-E-N-O-V-A, The Price of Freedom
  • Chocobo Mii Costume
  • Geno Mii Costume
Unfortunately, we all know we wouldn't get that much.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
No, you can't.
You cannot have the amount of content this game already does, Spirits included, and also have trophies.

If you want trophies, you're telling me you'd wait probably over half a year for this game to be released.
For some trophies you're gonna look at once and then probably never again. Sorry, but that's just the hard fact of the matter.

You simply can't have both and also have the amount of content this game does.
Still, it would bee nice to have some sort of equivalent of trophies for playable characters, assist trophies, bosses, and basically everything that already have a 3d model in the game.

Guilty Gear xrd did a very cool thing with its playable characters that you could unlock "trophies" of the characters in different poses and pose them on dioramas for taking screenshots. we did kinda had something similar on wiiu, but much more limited, would been cool if we had something as flexible as that Guilty Gear mode :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom