• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I like Viridi, but I definitely classify her as more of a villain than a hero. I think Sakurai played favorites with her though, since she's the only character in Kid Icarus Uprising that (Uprising SPOILERS)

you NEVER fight. And that includes Palutena and Pit themselves!

But yeah, her body count is up there with Ganondorf's. On her best days, I'd consider her a neutral ally against a greater threat, but she's pretty brutal.
Pretty much the same way, really. I like Viridi in the sense that she's a love-to-hate antagonist/reluctant ally when needed, but like...man, she committed an on-screen genocide against the human race. Some folks act like she did nothing wrong lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I always loved how some said "urtrash" despite me having a bigger win count by a large margin

Never change For Glory, never change...
We're going to lost so many For Glory common-stays and none of them was good.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'm sure Viridi would love to come down to Smash and say that **** to Mewtwo.
I mean Viridi isn't lying about them...................
Call my man Mewtwo an abomination again and I will shadow ball your kneecaps.

Last edited:

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
I always loved how some said "urtrash" despite me having a bigger win count by a large margin

For glory somehow manages to make itself the most cancerous online mode while somehow maintaining the least cancerous side.

D

Deleted member

I just wanted to let you guys know that Zoe in Smash isn't just a stupid idea I had and stuck with. I actually made a full-fledged moveset concept for her.
Jab: A standard 3-hit combo: left paw strike, right paw strike, and an overhead swipe with both paws.

F-Tilt: Swings a microphone in front of her.

Up-Tilt: Spins a scarf above her, similarly to Palutena’s up-tilt.

Down-Tilt: Rolls forward. Can be used quicker in succession than Dedede’s roll, but deals less damage and slightly higher knockback.

N-Air: Kicks with her front and back paws, damaging fighters both in front of her and behind her.

F-Air: A quick 2-hit swipe of her claws.

Back-Air: Slams the microphone used in her F-Tilt into any fighters behind her. Has a very slight windbox.

Up-Air: Whips the scarf used in her Up-Tilt straight upward.

Down-Air: Charges for a moment, then swings her tail down. Has a meteor effect right when she swings.

Grab: Grabs a foe and pummels them with a coat hanger.

F-Throw: Throws the grabbed opponent forward, quickly following up with a barrage of sequins.

Back-Throw: Throws the grabbed opponent backward and kicks them away.

Up-Throw: Throws the grabbed opponent upward and slices them with her claws.

Down-Throw: Slams the grabbed opponent down, burying them.

Get-Up Attack: Fires 2 quick bursts of sequins on either side of her.

Ledge Attack: Fires a burst of sequins in front of her. Slightly stronger than her Get-Up Attack.

F-Smash: Quickly extends a microphone stand forward.

Up-Smash: Quickly extends a microphone stand upward.

Down-Smash: Swings the scarf she uses for her Up-Tilt and Up-Air in a circle around her. Has a slight windbox.

STANDARD SPECIAL: Strike a Pose!

Strikes a pose in place, damaging and launching nearby foes. If you hold the button, small shockwaves will be sent out on either side of Zoe, but this leaves her vulnerable to anyone who blocked the pose attack.

SIDE SPECIAL: Highest Note

Shoots a mid-low range, music note shaped projectile. It doesn’t deal much damage but has the second-highest knockback of any projectile, second only to Mega Man’s F-Smash.

UP SPECIAL: Spinnerrific Recovery

Zoe spins in an upward tornado motion, gaining height while also pushing opponents away. When used on the ground, this becomes a damaging move where she spins in place.

DOWN SPECIAL: Pocket Mirror

Zoe uses a pocket mirror to reflect projectiles at 1.5x the power and speed. If used when a fighter is right in front of Zoe, it does a small amount of damage but no knockback.

FINAL SMASH: Down the Runway

Like other characters with cutscene Final Smashes, Zoe attempts to trap fighters with an attack and, if successful, triggers the cutscene. For Zoe, the trapping attack is a dress rack that rolls onto the stage from the foreground, and the cutscene is her dazzling the trapped fighters with her runway moves. After the cutscene ends, the trapped fighters are launched.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
All the bad gods end up the same way...

Killed by Kratos.
...and the good gods, and the neutral gods. And the heroes just doing their job, and the two hot fate sisters, and jabba the hutt, and poseidon's side piece, and the ship captain... several thousand innocent civilians...

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, it's aggravating because you'll often get insulted whether you win or lose, as long as you're playing against a crabby enough player. If you lose, they'll get smug and say USUCK or whatever. If you win, they'll get indignant and throw out a URCHEAP. This stuff shouldn't bug me, but it's annoying regardless.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I just wanted to let you guys know that Zoe in Smash isn't just a stupid idea I had and stuck with. I actually made a full-fledged moveset concept for her.
Jab: A standard 3-hit combo: left paw strike, right paw strike, and an overhead swipe with both paws.

F-Tilt: Swings a microphone in front of her.

Up-Tilt: Spins a scarf above her, similarly to Palutena’s up-tilt.

Down-Tilt: Rolls forward. Can be used quicker in succession than Dedede’s roll, but deals less damage and slightly higher knockback.

N-Air: Kicks with her front and back paws, damaging fighters both in front of her and behind her.

F-Air: A quick 2-hit swipe of her claws.

Back-Air: Slams the microphone used in her F-Tilt into any fighters behind her. Has a very slight windbox.

Up-Air: Whips the scarf used in her Up-Tilt straight upward.

Down-Air: Charges for a moment, then swings her tail down. Has a meteor effect right when she swings.

Grab: Grabs a foe and pummels them with a coat hanger.

F-Throw: Throws the grabbed opponent forward, quickly following up with a barrage of sequins.

Back-Throw: Throws the grabbed opponent backward and kicks them away.

Up-Throw: Throws the grabbed opponent upward and slices them with her claws.

Down-Throw: Slams the grabbed opponent down, burying them.

Get-Up Attack: Fires 2 quick bursts of sequins on either side of her.

Ledge Attack: Fires a burst of sequins in front of her. Slightly stronger than her Get-Up Attack.

F-Smash: Quickly extends a microphone stand forward.

Up-Smash: Quickly extends a microphone stand upward.

Down-Smash: Swings the scarf she uses for her Up-Tilt and Up-Air in a circle around her. Has a slight windbox.

STANDARD SPECIAL: Strike a Pose!

Strikes a pose in place, damaging and launching nearby foes. If you hold the button, small shockwaves will be sent out on either side of Zoe, but this leaves her vulnerable to anyone who blocked the pose attack.

SIDE SPECIAL: Highest Note

Shoots a mid-low range, music note shaped projectile. It doesn’t deal much damage but has the second-highest knockback of any projectile, second only to Mega Man’s F-Smash.

UP SPECIAL: Spinnerrific Recovery

Zoe spins in an upward tornado motion, gaining height while also pushing opponents away. When used on the ground, this becomes a damaging move where she spins in place.

DOWN SPECIAL: Pocket Mirror

Zoe uses a pocket mirror to reflect projectiles at 1.5x the power and speed. If used when a fighter is right in front of Zoe, it does a small amount of damage but no knockback.

FINAL SMASH: Down the Runway

Like other characters with cutscene Final Smashes, Zoe attempts to trap fighters with an attack and, if successful, triggers the cutscene. For Zoe, the trapping attack is a dress rack that rolls onto the stage from the foreground, and the cutscene is her dazzling the trapped fighters with her runway moves. After the cutscene ends, the trapped fighters are launched.
Huh, that's quite cool, actually. :)

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Im not entirely sure about Sylux, but i do know Rhythm Girl and Porky are effectly big main characters in their respective series. Not only this, but Gigyas is even missing from the spirits list, whom id assume would be a theoretical Porkys final smash or associated with it.

I think people are taking the "promotional" aspect of DLC way too seriously. It never HAS to be a promotional character. Just even looking at the base game, Ultimate added Ridley and K. Rool, and while they have popular fanbases, they have hardly been relevant in recent Nintendo history. Same goes for Simon and Richter. Castlevania is popular, but lets not forget how Konami essentially dropped the series and Simon/Richter are some of the oldest Belmonts. Even Incineroar is about to get phased out nexr year when Gen 8 comes.

I can tell you from a General Audience perspective, MANY people had no idea who Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon were before Smash, yet they are new inclusions made for the game. Their designs and gameplay alone sold people on them. Its exactly how character like Ness, Roy, Pit and IC became popular over time.

All im saying is we only have Smash 4 DLC to go off of in terms of predictions, and even that is hard to base anything off of because it had 3 vets, 2 extremely iconic characters in the form of Cloud and Ryu, who were promoting nothing at the time, Corrin who was a literal "who?" to anyone outside of Japan, and Bayonetta who is not NEARLY as popular as people make her out to be (and she was promoting zilch since her game came out 2 years prior and to this day has sold only 700,000 copies with the switch version too...fyi its not alot.)

So honestly, while basing anything off of spirits is silly in the long run, its not shocking to see Nintendo picking random characters that look fun to play. Why? Because people will gobble it up anyway. I have never imagined K. Rool or Simon to be this popular after Smash. Nintendo could literally make anyone DLC and sell it extremely well.

So yea, we CAN get Sylux, Porky, Rhythm Girl due to their conspicuous absense out of 1300 nintendo or nintendo affliliated characters, especially when their own property has much more obscure characters. We CAN get a promotional rep because why not. We CAN get more iconic characters (i am personally hoping for Banjo). There really isnt a pattern. Literally anyone is up for grabs.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's aggravating because you'll often get insulted whether you win or lose, as long as you're playing against a crabby enough player. If you lose, they'll get smug and say USUCK or whatever. If you win, they'll get indignant and throw out a URCHEAP. This stuff shouldn't bug me, but it's annoying regardless.
Man, trash talking is really childish but for me its just so funny, I cant stop looking at it.
Also the logical end point of any confrontation will always be the good old "no u"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I actually like the toxicity of online. Makes my win so much sweeter when they insult me with something petty like "SOBAD" "LEARNHOW" "TOPLAY" only to immediately leave afterwards because they're afraid they'll lose again and add insult to injury.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...and the good gods, and the neutral gods. And the heroes just doing their job, and the two hot fate sisters, and jabba the hutt, and poseidon's side piece, and the ship captain... several thousand innocent civilians...
Poor Hephaestus didn't deserve that...

AIM0001

Smash Lord
this Xenother guy is not one of Verge's "buddies" and whatever he claimed is also posted on 4channel as well
he could be planting fake rumors like the TRF guy one month ago

EDIT: forget the 4channel bit, recently read his new post which Verge confirmed he spoke to him
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77228568

good for him for not pulling a loz18
What makes this guy so special? Out of him, and Itagi. He outright deconfirms Sora and Geno. Also with the uncertainty going around for Steve. He seems to think he’s in no matter what. But what kind track record does this guy even have? I’m obviously being bitter because he deconfirms Geno haha but still dude....

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I actually like the toxicity of online. Makes my win so much sweeter when they insult me with something petty like "SOBAD" "LEARNHOW" "TOPLAY" only to immediately leave afterwards because they're afraid they'll lose again and add insult to injury.
Yeah, but then it sucks to lose because you fed the ego of some brat and gave them the satisfaction of them being better than you.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Im not entirely sure about Sylux, but i do know Rhythm Girl and Porky are effectly big main characters in their respective series. Not only this, but Gigyas is even missing from the spirits list.

I think people are taking the "promotional" aspect of DLC way too seriously. It never HAS to be a promotional character. Just even looking at the base game, Ultimate added Ridley and K. Rool, and while they have popular fanbases, they have hardly been relevant in recent Nintendo history. Same goes for Simon and Richter. Castlevania is popular, but lets not forget how Konami essentially dropped the series and Simon/Richter are some of the oldest Belmonts. Even Incineroar is about to get phased out nexr year when Gen 8 comes.

I can tell you from a General Audience perspective, MANY people had no idea who Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon were before Smash, yet they are new inclusions made for the game. Their designs and gameplay alone sold people on them. Its exactly how character like Ness, Roy, Pit and IC became popular over time.

All im saying is we only have Smash 4 DLC to go off of in terms of predictions, and even that is hard to base anything off of because it had 3 vets, 2 extremely iconic characters in the form of Cloud and Ryu, who were promoting nothing at the time, Corrin who was a literal "who?" to anyone outside of Japan, and Bayonetta who is not NEARLY as popular as people make her out to be (and she was promoting zilch since her game came out 2 years prior and to this day has sold only 700,000 copies with the switch version too...fyi its not alot.)

So honestly, while basing anything off of spirits is silly in the long run, its not shocking to see Nintendo picking random characters that look fun to play. Why? Because people will gobble it up anyway. I have never imagined K. Rool or Simon to be this popular after Smash. Nintendo could literally make anyone DLC and sell it extremely well.

So yea, we CAN get Sylux, Porky, Rhythm Girl due to their conspicuous absense out of 1300 nintendo or nintendo affliliated characters, especially when their own property has much more obscure characters. We CAN get a promotional rep because why not. We CAN get more iconic characters (i am personally hoping for Banjo). There really isnt a pattern. Literally anyone is up for grabs.
You know, I dont expect any promotional picks. Outside of Pokemon of course.
Corrin was picked cause the development team love FE and got Sakurai to put him in, despite Sakurai's own belief of there already being enough FE fighters.
Nintendo never really put a hand on who gets in and who should be cut. They let Sakurai do whatever he wants with rooster, considering the Surprise picks, like the most referred retro reps and Pirana Plant, heck they let Sakurai straight up pick a a dead ip and make an OC out of it to put in game.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I think people are taking the "promotional" aspect of DLC way too seriously. It never HAS to be a promotional character. Just even looking at the base game
Base game=/=DLC. Based on Smash 4's DLC newcomers, there was one 1st party promotional pick (Corrin), a 3rd party promotional pick (Bayonetta), and two genuinely popular 3rd party picks (Cloud and Ryu).

I think that's where people are getting the idea; hard precedence.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Im not entirely sure about Sylux, but i do know Rhythm Girl and Porky are effectly big main characters in their respective series. Not only this, but Gigyas is even missing from the spirits list.

So yea, we CAN get Sylux, Porky, Rhythm Girl due to their conspicuous absense out of 1300 nintendo or nintendo affliliated properties, especially when their own property has much more obscure characters. We CAN get a promotional rep because why not. We CAN get more iconic characters (i am personally hoping for Banjo). There really isnt a pattern. Literally anyone is up for grabs.
The only problem with this argument is that it relies entirely on missing Spirits, focusing more on their absence meaning something rather than it being a coincidence.

If Nintendo chose characters based off of how much fun and unique they'd be, then there'd be an endless number of options, and that would include characters who are already Spirits. Should that be the case, I doubt Sylux or Porky would be anywhere close to being their first picks. Possibly Rhythm Girl, but there's more than one character they could choose to represent Rhythm Heaven.

Personally, I'm going to believe most DLC choices had a bigger incentive, whether that was promotion for relevant games or cooperating with other third-party companies.

beans

Smash Lord
Base game=/=DLC. Based on Smash 4's DLC newcomers, there was one 1st party promotional pick (Corrin), a 3rd party promotional pick (Bayonetta), and two genuinely popular 3rd party picks (Cloud and Ryu).

I think that's where people are getting the idea; hard precedence.
I'd like to add misinformation.
Corrin was development team pick, cause the devs like FE.
Bayonetta could be argued that she got in a the ballot pick. Could. A promotional pick for a relatively old game sounds wrong.

People just tend to use their overall lack of popularity at the time as an argument to them being "shill picks", without adressing Sakurai's statement on Corrin or "insert arguemnt for bayonetta here"

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Corring was development team pick, cause the devs like FE.
Bayonetta could be argued that she got in a the ballot pick. Could. A promotional pick for a relatively old game sounds wrong.
True though it was a a old game that Nintendo was fully behind and we really don't know when 3 had began developing.

Also the design changes to :ultzss: have me convinced that she was prepared for the game from the start.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
The only problem with this argument is that it relies entirely on missing Spirits, focusing more on their absence meaning something rather than it being a coincidence.

If Nintendo chose characters based off of how much fun and unique they'd be, then there'd be an endless number of options, and that would include characters who are already Spirits. Should that be the case, I doubt Sylux or Porky would be anywhere close to being their first picks. Possibly Rhythm Girl, but there's more than one character they could choose to represent Rhythm Heaven.

Personally, I'm going to believe most DLC choices had a bigger incentive, whether that was promotion for relevant games or cooperating with other third-party companies.
Im not even saying they are going to be picks, im just saying there is no reason they cant be picks. I absolutely hate when people say "they arent relevant" when Ultimate added like 3 irrelevant characters (to the general audience) to hype the game's release.

And which character is more "fun" is also your opinion

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Corrin was specifically under consideration because they wanted a promotional 1st party character.

And Bayonetta 2 received a reprint right before she was released as DLC, IIRC.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I feel weird when I hear that people were surprised about Pit in Brawl. He had a big groundswell of support after Melee, especially in the UK gaming mags.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much the same way, really. I like Viridi in the sense that she's a love-to-hate antagonist/reluctant ally when needed, but like...man, she committed an on-screen genocide against the human race. Some folks act like she did nothing wrong lol.
Not to mention after doing so the first time she nonchalantly taunts about wondering where to drop the next reset bomb

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If the ballot was meaningless and the DLC was already decided, then it's no secret why Nintendo was interested in Bayonetta. Clearly they had plans for her in the future, and I'm sure Bayo 3 was something they really wanted on the Switch as an exclusive.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Another reason to love her

Zeox

Smash Champion
Im not entirely sure about Sylux, but i do know Rhythm Girl and Porky are effectly big main characters in their respective series. Not only this, but Gigyas is even missing from the spirits list, whom id assume would be a theoretical Porkys final smash or associated with it.

Let's be honest, Smash DLCs are gonna sell no matter who the characters are, competitive players will buy them to have the full roster and to make sure they have the "strongest" character.
Completionist players will buy them, and people that are interested in 2 or 3 will buy the whole DLC pack, hell, there will be some people that will buy the whole pack of 5 DLC characters before a single one is revealed!
And even if a character was pretty boring, the stage and music could compensate for that, for example a Steve DLC sounds super boring for me, but I would totally buy a Steve DLC just for the chance of having a Minecraft stage, because it sounds extremely interesting and cool.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I like Viridi, but I definitely classify her as more of a villain than a hero. I think Sakurai played favorites with her though, since she's the only character in Kid Icarus Uprising that (Uprising SPOILERS)

you NEVER fight. And that includes Palutena and Pit themselves!

But yeah, her body count is up there with Ganondorf's. On her best days, I'd consider her a neutral ally against a greater threat, but she's pretty brutal.
I believe Sakurai gave a reason why you never got to fight Viridi in Uprising. Something about not finding it right to beat up a young girl if I recall correctly. Which probably explains why there haven't been that many in Smash unless you count the female Villager and Nana....

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
True though it was a a old game that Nintendo was fully behind and we really don't know when 3 had began developing.

Also the design changes to :ultzss: have me convinced that she was prepared for the game from the start.
I dont like to reffer to the possibility that Bayonetta was already planned, since it paints the Ballot as a cover up for a shill pick.
The ballot was just overall really misinformative, with no real objective given and no indication if votes for already deconfirmed characters would be taken into account for a future game, or since they already disconfirmed the votes will nullified

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Genocide is wiping out an entire ethnicity or social group (like a religion). What Viridi did is simply mass murder.
Genocide is the targeted extermination of a specific group. In this case, the group in question is humanity, as opposed to gods or non-human natural beings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom