• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It sounds pretty weird considering how easy it was for Sakurai to ask Nobuo Uematsu to do Brawl's main theme. Sure, this is Final Fantasy we are talking about, but it just feels weird to say the music issue is likely with Uematsu after how easy it was to get him to do Brawl's theme. Then again, I don't know where Uematsu's priorities lie, unlike the whole deal with the Dragon Quest composer.
And considering Uematsu still helps Square with music, like his music for Final Fantasy XIV, I doubt it's negativity between him and Square.
There's probably more priority for a Main Theme then for Licensing Music. I know that Sonic 1 and 2 fall into a similar issue due to their music being done by Dreams Come True, so Sega rarely uses remixes from those games outside of a couple popular ones like Green Hill Zone, Emerald Hill Zone, and Chemical Plant Zone.
Nobuo Uematsu, as one of the biggest, most well known video game composers, likely demands a lot more money for his songs then someone lesser known such as Yoko Shimomura would..though it helps Nintendo that they keep all rights to their songs themselves from what I can recall.
Its probably nothing to do with Negativity or the like but just down to how much Uematsu and Square-Enix feel their properties are worth, monetary-wise..and, lets be honest, they aren't wrong for the most part..the only characters I feel are on Cloud's level of reknown amongst gamers and also recognizable to non-gamers are Mario (series), Link, Sonic, and Pikachu.

All of that said, I'd rather have Cloud with very little then no Cloud at all...though I do with they would have at least found JENOVA and One Winged Angel worth paying for..or even Advent: One Winged Angel Complete.

However, thinking about it, it could also be an issue with trimming down Uematsu's work, a lot of his Final Fantasy VII songs are much longer then the cut-off point for Smash Bros. songs (around 2minutes if I recall).

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I mean Cloud didn't come with a Sephitoth or Zack clone, so I really doubt it. Let alone Sora himself. Btw, Vergeben says Steve was a misdirection and Minecraft will have an apperance as a boss, but he hasn't confirmed it a 100% (say 98%). He's waiting to double check.

I say this because of gun usage. Nintendo did change how the beam gun looked in Smash, made it look like a toy. safe policy. You almost never see Master Chief without his assault rifle. Get my drift?

2 Sagat and 2 Balrog pieces (Type A & B each). All of the new SF tracks are originals btw, no remixes. So I get why some may sound meh.. honestly they do. What were they thinking, nostalgia I suppose? well, bad aiming. Well we can still look for great pieces in other series, that's the Smash advantage (playing on other stages though). Some tracks are really really good.
So went for more checking, oh boy, you don't want to listen to Sagat's type A. I don't know what to say..
Yeah I know its unlikely, but I would be happy if it did happen. I saw that I honestly dont know what to believe however that does support when I said perhaps Minecraft content was just that only content. Its possible just content at this point and no character.

Actually Spartan 458 in Dead or Alive only uses their fists, energy sword and plasma grenades. So if they use this similar style of fighting they could put Master Chief and have him use a similar fighting style. So in terms of him not making it in because of weapons thats no why he wouldnt be added, its mostly because he is a Xbox exclusive character.

I saw that I did not like Sagat's version either A or B. Also not sure why there are A & B songs, seems kind of unnecessary to me. Won't complain though at least Chun Li's music made it in.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Actually....

vaanrose vaanrose I ****ing hate to tag you, but you're arguably the smartest fella on these boards, sorry.

You think the HRC map in the code is simply from them porting over stuff from 4, or it could mean it's for future usage?
I haven't looked at any of the code myself, but as much as it's a meme now, yes, the game began with ported data. Every Smash game since the original has began with ported data.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Two questions:

Who is "we"?
And which characters do you mean by "some"?
We as in all of us members of Smashboards.

"Some" as in the ones we feel deserve to be promoted to fighter. Not all of them will be playable, but the ones with the highest scores should.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I meant directing with a stylus. I really didn't like that. Great game, bad choice of controls. Nintendo's been doing that for a while and I don't like it. They force their inventions without an option, just like Star Fox Zero.
Well thank :ultpalutena: for two analog sticks, so we wouldn’t have that problem
So Sonic’s dark alt render just appeared on stream. It’s in HD so I can safely say that Sonic is really Black.

Like, super black. So why the heck cant they make him red or dare I say pink?
Cause Amy is planned for Smash Ultimate

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yup, it's Ikue Otani...
Deers, dinosaurs, cats, rats, maniacal space rabbits, is there an animal that woman didn't voiced?

"Some" as in the ones we feel deserve to be promoted to fighter. Not all of them will be playable, but the ones with the highest scores should.
This gives me Smash Ballot flashbacks.

EDIT: Also, the game is out in a few weeks and Sakurai explicitly said they aren't looking for fan feedback for DLC. This petition is kinda pointless.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Deserve is a word that implies entitlement. Bleh.

As awesome as Tiki, Waluigi, Starfy, and Vince would be, considering what was implied about the Fighter Pass, I don't think Assists have any shot at DLC whatsoever.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Yeah I know its unlikely, but I would be happy if it did happen. I saw that I honestly dont know what to believe however that does support when I said perhaps Minecraft content was just that only content. Its possible just content at this point and no character.

Actually Spartan 458 in Dead or Alive only uses their fists, energy sword and plasma grenades. So if they use this similar style of fighting they could put Master Chief and have him use a similar fighting style. So in terms of him not making it in because of weapons thats no why he wouldnt be added, its mostly because he is a Xbox exclusive character.

I saw that I did not like Sagat's version either A or B. Also not sure why there are A & B songs, seems kind of unnecessary to me. Won't complain though at least Chun Li's music made it in.

I thought maybe Steve is a Mii costume.. I.. I told you that before :p But yeah, you see, that's why I want to know everything now. It's tiring.

This is new to me, thanks. I'm confused, Is that a costume? because why does he sound like a girl? but then again, how can a costume have a camouflage ability? Anyway, I get what you're saying. Well they can fit any charcater if they really wanted. Even from Gears of war or.. Raiden from Mortal Kombat XD (just teasing). I still don't think it fits the bubbly world of Smash however.

Glad you found something you like.
Did you know? I just found out that there's a track among Castlevania's that's not related to the game or any of the Belmonts. It's an old game by Konami, the blood colored hair moon fighter, Getsu Fuma. It's a nice track, but fans did a better one.

Edit: My next reply might take a while.

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Whether something is first or third party has nothing to do with whether something is exclusive to any given console. The second party is the consumer. There is no such thing as a second party character.

Nintendo owns Mario, and sells you a game with Mario. Nintendo is the First Party, you, the consumer, is the Second Party.

Nintendo does not own Geno, and sells you a game with Geno. Nintendo is the First Party, you, the consumer, is the Second Party, and Geno's rights holder, Square, who is not involved directly with the transaction, is the Third Party to that transaction.
Whether a game is a first party, third party, or second party has literally zero to do with the consumers. WE the consumers do not make the game we have zero involvement with the people who are part of the business side of things when it comes to games. The whole first, second, and third party terminology is an industry categorization for where a game stands in terms of rights between companies and company relations to certain games. WE the consumer have absolutely nothing to do with that we are separate from that side of the gaming market. Pokemon is a second party IP not a first party IP, Nintendo does not own a single thing in that franchise, everything belongs to Game Freak legally BUT they have a DEAL. With Game Freak to have the Pokemon games be exclusive to Nintendo hardware. It's the exact same concept with Geno, Geno is not owned by Nintendo but his character is a Nintendo exclusive character so he is by definition a second party. I have no idea how that's such a hard concept to understand it's literally common ****ing sense.

Ivander

Smash Legend
There's probably more priority for a Main Theme then for Licensing Music. I know that Sonic 1 and 2 fall into a similar issue due to their music being done by Dreams Come True, so Sega rarely uses remixes from those games outside of a couple popular ones like Green Hill Zone, Emerald Hill Zone, and Chemical Plant Zone.
Nobuo Uematsu, as one of the biggest, most well known video game composers, likely demands a lot more money for his songs then someone lesser known such as Yoko Shimomura would..though it helps Nintendo that they keep all rights to their songs themselves from what I can recall.
Its probably nothing to do with Negativity or the like but just down to how much Uematsu and Square-Enix feel their properties are worth, monetary-wise..and, lets be honest, they aren't wrong for the most part..the only characters I feel are on Cloud's level of reknown amongst gamers and also recognizable to non-gamers are Mario (series), Link, Sonic, and Pikachu.

All of that said, I'd rather have Cloud with very little then no Cloud at all...though I do with they would have at least found JENOVA and One Winged Angel worth paying for..or even Advent: One Winged Angel Complete.

However, thinking about it, it could also be an issue with trimming down Uematsu's work, a lot of his Final Fantasy VII songs are much longer then the cut-off point for Smash Bros. songs (around 2minutes if I recall).
-Oh, I'd rather have Cloud with little rather than no Cloud too, but like many people, I'd like to figure out what keeps the music from coming, especially with how much I love music in general.
-I could see the issue with trimming down some of the songs, like One Winged Angel, Bombing Mission, the Main Theme, etc. But then you have some songs like J-E-N-O-V-A or Crazy Motorcycle that can fit. But that said, it would be awesome to hear Uematsu give a FFVII Remix to Smash.
-Yoko Shimomura.......lesser known.......

Them's fightin' words.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Whether a game is a first party, third party, or second party has literally zero to do with the consumers. WE the consumers do not make the game we have zero involvement with the people who are part of the business side of things when it comes to games. The whole first, second, and third party terminology is an industry categorization for where a game stands in terms of rights between companies and company relations to certain games. WE the consumer have absolutely nothing to do with that we are separate from that side of the gaming market. Pokemon is a second party IP not a first party IP, Nintendo does not own a single thing in that franchise, everything belongs to Game Freak legally BUT they have a DEAL. With Game Freak to have the Pokemon games be exclusive to Nintendo hardware. It's the exact same concept with Geno, Geno is not owned by Nintendo but his character is a Nintendo exclusive character so he is by definition a second party. I have no idea how that's such a hard concept to understand it's literally common ****ing sense.
You can heacanon Geno as a 2nd Party if you want to but in reality there is no such thing as a Second Party character. There's only 1st and 3rd.

Besides that, if anything was to be considered "2nd Party" it would be Pokemon considering it's owned by a conglomerate of 3 different companies but you see how silly that sounds? Pokemon as a 2nd Party? It's still a first party.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I knew about the boss but I missed seeing it on the streams, so, thanks for the link!
Watching this, it’s kinda bothering me that the background doesn’t scroll, even though that might be confusing in a game where the boundaries of the screen kill you, the scrolling background is rather iconic, isn’t it? They’d have to put dark fade outs over the screen at the edges or put a frame on the GUI around the stage, but yeah.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Deers, dinosaurs, cats, rats, maniacal space rabbits, is there an animal that woman didn't voiced?

This gives me Smash Ballot flashbacks.

EDIT: Also, the game is out in a few weeks and Sakurai explicitly said they aren't looking for fan feedback for DLC. This petition is kinda pointless.
But do you still dare try? We're not going to give up hope. Surely, there'll have to be some sort of promise for us during or near the end of the Fighters Pass.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Wii Fit Studio FINALLY has a banger, this is one of the songs I really wanted in Smash and I’m so happy this got in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But do you still dare try? We're not going to give up hope. Surely, there'll have to be some sort of promise for us during or near the end of the Fighters Pass.
Not really, no. Neither Nintendo or Sakurai has to promise you anything. You'll get a full game and they'll develop post-release content for potential later purchases.

"Selecting non-playable characters from the game and adding them as playable fighters just because some fans wanted it" is not one of their obligations.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The whole "second party" thing is fan jargon used almost exclusively to describe Pokémon's weird ownership issues. Legally it means jack ****.

Look at linguistics itself, dude. Let's look at pronouns.

Your first person pronouns are I and We.
Your second person pronoun is You.
Your third person pronouns are he/she/it/they.

From Nintendo's perspective, look at that and replace person with party.

"We own Mario, and he is in Smash Bros, which is a game that we are making."
"You, the consumer, will purchase the game."
"They, Square-Enix, will get a cut of the profit because we are using Geno."

osby

Smash Obsessed
If I thought petitions would do jack for Smash development, I'd have made one for Boshi long ago...

I'll never understand the utility of those...
It helps the illusion that you can get something just because you want it.

I appreciate passion for characters, but people should be more realistic. There's nothing wrong with supporting a character with small chances, as long as you don't overestimate the importance of yourself.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Mario can already do the fire in his own games.
With the fire flower.

I wouldn't be calling for Mitsurugi's invisible sword. We'd have the constant whirlwind effect around her blade to keep her visually distinct from all the other sword wielders. Win-win.
True, but it would have to be very-concentrated wind, maybe even like a hazy slab of glass.

People are kinda jumping to conclusions with thinking being a spirit deconfirms someone as a potential DLC newcomer, don't you think?

Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in the base game of Smash 4, yet it didn't bar either of them. And spirits are essentially the successor to trophies.
I definitely see your point, Delzethin. It's fair to assume the opposite of what's being stated for Spirits, but I have a humane case for why Spirits might be deconfirmation and why the other half of this camp feels the same way:

-Spirits refer to characters "other than fighters" (as spoken by Sakurai in the last Direct). Their function is to play a support role which in a way makes them the Missing Link between Trophies and Assist Trophies.

-Spirits help to narrow down who might not be in the roster, so it encourages discussion of wild cards like Piranha Plant in different ways (like Cloud/Ryu).

-Spirits of Fighter characters are unequippable, and the other Spirits that resemble them use alternative names. Head-Canon dictates they are from Alternate timelines. Yes, that goes for tree-pose Male WFT
kappa.png

-Spirits differ from the trophy situation with Lucas and Mewtwo in that the latter two characters were from past Smash games.

-Spirits come in many names, but some are mysteriously absent despite being seemingly obvious choices.

-Spirits are like consolation prizes for characters who didn't quite make it through.

-Ultimately, the last Direct left several fanbases devastated with all the constant deconfirmations outside of Spirits. People are just lowering their expectations (at the absolute lowest point in some cases). Are some of us being overtly-negative? Sure, we might, but we just don't want to get our hopes up again and be crushingly-disappointed. Besides, it's not too bad. If it wasn't for the Spirits, we wouldn't be humoring the idea of characters like Ryu Hyabusa or Monster Hunter.

Now with all of that being said, it's entirely possible that Spirits can be fighters despite these stipulations. In my personal opinion? I think they are viable if we get a Season 2 Fighter's Pass with 5 new characters. I can see those Spirits gaining Alternates as replacements, since they're just glorified jpegs.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A few questions I have.

1. There are new cutscenes for World of Light right? Multiple ones? That aren't intros for bosses?
  2. Are they good character showcases? Or are they generic?
  3. Does Snake appear in them?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hey man chief called. He said this ain't it.

Geno is owned by Square Enix, hence he is third party. If he were second party things would be a lot easier in regards to his inclusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom