• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Are you crazy? We need N64 Superman...
His Final Smash would be forcing his opponents to play through the ring levels
But E.T. is owned by Universal, and Nintendo has ties to them through the Grinch hoax the Mario movie and the theme park stuff.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
But E.T. is owned by Universal, and Nintendo has ties to them through the Grinch hoax the Mario movie and the theme park stuff.
Have you forgotten that Superman is owned by Warner Bros., the studio who's also distributing the Pokemon Detective Pikachu nightmare movie?

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Y'all are having your fun, but let's be serious for a moment.

The SE rep is obviously going to be a character from the recent smash hit movi- uh game that had to have voices patched in, The Quiet Man.
the-quiet-man-image-768x432.jpg

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Sakurai has never deconfirmed the "fan made rule" of Assist Trophies not being playable fighters in the game they appear in.
No... I still believe assists and such are out
Final Smashes seem to be an exception
Nobody working at Nintendo gives one flying **** about this community's "rules" as proven time and time again. There's a good chance that we'll not see any AT's promoted but nobody involved in Smash is bound to some stupid idea that a character already being involved in a non-playable role somehow prevents them from adding that same character later on because they already broke this rule with Chrom. It doesn't matter that it was a Final Smash and not an AT because its all a bunch of code at the end of the day and any sort of distinction between NPC roles is completely arbitrary.

Us recognizing a pattern isn't the same as Sakurai magically being bound to it. You can think so if you want but don't go trying to shut down any discussion with some smartass one liner about some made up rule we have observed Sakurai completely ignore when he otherwise couldn't help it.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
It's far too early.
I disagree.

Mewtwo had likely started development a little before his reveal in the 50 fact extravaganza, after all, we only saw a static model of him.

It's not unlikely for something similar to happen with the first DLC fighter.

I'm not expecting anything at the VGAs though. Just because it occurs the day before release doesn't mean anything.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still say VGA is perfect timing to revealing either Sora or Banjo as DLC. The former to commemorate Kingdom Hearts III next year and to be released alongside it and the latter for its 20th anniversary.

Though there's also Sylux being announced alongside with Metroid Prime 4 being revealed.

I'd bet on any of those three if such a reveal were to happen.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm gonna keep hoping for Neku being the Square Rep. He's likely, but his popularity probably doesn't compare to Sora's or a DQ rep.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
So I've been giving a lot of thought to what sort of surprises Sakurai could trick us with before Ultimate's release. Obviously we all know Shrek is going to be the "hidden character", but beyond that there's quite a few possibilities.
People who have downloaded Smash Ultimate and try to play are given a message saying it can't be played yet. The system connects to Nintendo servers and checks if the time is Dec 7, and if not then that message pops up. I think if Sakurai were going to play a trick on us, this is what he'd do.
The calendar reads Dec 6. The clock is about to strike midnight.
Sakurai flips on the camera, beginning the first Midnight Direct. He is dressed from head to toe in a Santa costume.
Sakurai begins.
"Hello. As I am sure you aware, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is about to release. Before it releases, there are a few things about the game you should know. First, Super Smash Bros. will not have 6 DLC characters planned. It will have many, many more than that. There will be dozens of characters released over the life of Smash Ultimate, and we are certain you will enjoy them all.
We know you'll enjoy them because you've played most of them before. Every character in Super Smash Bros Ultimate was in fact a ruse, a clever ploy. There will only be one character in the game to start with, and only one Assist Trophy. In fact, he is the first character to be both an Assist Trophy and a playable character.
Some of you might be complaining now, saying 'But Mister Sakurai, I thought we would have 74 characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate! We can't afford to buy all of them!'"
At this point, the clock strikes midnight. Sakurai rips off his Santa outfit, revealing a thick purple overall with gold buttons.
"TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So I've been giving a lot of thought to what sort of surprises Sakurai could trick us with before Ultimate's release. Obviously we all know Shrek is going to be the "hidden character", but beyond that there's quite a few possibilities.
People who have downloaded Smash Ultimate and try to play are given a message saying it can't be played yet. The system connects to Nintendo servers and checks if the time is Dec 7, and if not then that message pops up. I think if Sakurai were going to play a trick on us, this is what he'd do.
Sakurai flips on the camera, beginning the first Midnight Direct. He is dressed from head to toe in a Santa costume.
Sakurai begins.
"Hello. As I am sure you aware, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is about to release. Before it releases, there are a few things about the game you should know. First, Super Smash Bros. will not have 6 DLC characters planned. It will have many, many more than that. There will be dozens of characters released over the life of Smash Ultimate, and we are certain you will enjoy them all.
We know you'll enjoy them because you've played most of them before. Every character in Super Smash Bros Ultimate was in fact a ruse, a clever ploy. There will only be one character in the game to start with, and only one Assist Trophy. In fact, he is the first character to be both an Assist Trophy and a playable character.
Some of you might be complaining now, saying 'But Mister Sakurai, I thought we would have 74 characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate! We can't afford to buy all of them!'"
At this point, the clock strikes midnight. Sakurai rips off his Santa outfit, revealing a thick purple overall with gold buttons.
"TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!"

Go to sleep.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
What's even the point anymore?
We got footage of preeeeeetty much everyone.
Was there ever a point with the blog other than music, anyway? The Dojo and Pic of the Day were so much better than the blog it's unreal.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Was there ever a point with the blog other than music, anyway? The Dojo and Pic of the Day were so much better than the blog it's unreal.
Well there was that rare moment of useful info.
Like Luigi getting a new grab was something neat that they told us.
Other than that, music was the highlight of the smash blog.

D

Deleted member

I can't wait for the next game where they'll give out no information and people will be like "I miss the blog."

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Sakurai begins.
"TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!"

WALUIGI FAILED AGAIN AND I DOUBT ASSIST TROPHIES WILL GET THE SAME TREATMENT AS TROPIES/SPIRITS!

Noipoi

Howdy!

Nintendo's totally not throwing shade at Sony or anything, I swear!
Nintendo's 2019 E3 is already the best one because Pokemon 2019 will be there.

The best part of Let's Go releasing is now there's nothing stopping Gen 8 from being announced.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Some folks don't know when to quit, probably made more prevalent with the situation Chrom is in now...
Thing is with Chrom:
1. I'm still hellbent that Chrom doesn't show up in the Final Smash when he's being played in the same match and I'll take all the ego points if it happens
2. He's an Echo. Waluigi can't be an Echo, we talked about this about the Daisy Dilemma in June.

Unrelated, but it should be noticed I defend Waluigi a lot. You have no idea how much of a Waluigi fan I am.

This used to be my avatar:

I'm not ****ing around when I say I love him (platonically). He'd be the one character above anyone else that I would main instantly regardless of character build. Waluigi is insanely popular, and with that large amount of fanbase you obviously have the vocal bad eggs, and everyone ****s on everything if it has a bad egg in it who was just too rotten, a la the twitter fiasco months back and how that tweet sent meant every Waluigi supporter was rude, obnoxious, [insert political term], and overall generalized to be a stereotype of a group of evil people.

I'll probably never learn and continue to support him, even if it's beyond my realistic expectations of DLC.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think if TGA has any Smash reveal it'll be the Squenix rep.
We can't entertain the Squenix rep without also entertaining Verge stating they'll be the first revealed.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thing is with Chrom:
1. I'm still hellbent that Chrom doesn't show up in the Final Smash when he's being played in the same match and I'll take all the ego points if it happens
2. He's an Echo. Waluigi can't be an Echo, we talked about this about the Daisy Dilemma in June.

Unrelated, but it should be noticed I defend Waluigi a lot. You have no idea how much of a Waluigi fan I am.

This used to be my avatar:

I'm not ****ing around when I say I love him (platonically). He'd be the one character above anyone else that I would main instantly regardless of character build. Waluigi is insanely popular, and with that large amount of fanbase you obviously have the vocal bad eggs, and everyone ****s on everything if it has a bad egg in it who was just too rotten, a la the twitter fiasco months back and how that tweet sent meant every Waluigi supporter was rude, obnoxious, [insert political term], and overall generalized to be a stereotype of a group of evil people.

I'll probably never learn and continue to support him, even if it's beyond my realistic expectations of DLC.
And you should continue to support him.

I love Waluigi, very unironically, as well. Breaks my heart he has such a bad rep now.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm gonna keep hoping for Neku being the Square Rep. He's likely, but his popularity probably doesn't compare to Sora's or a DQ rep.
Am I just overly pessimistic? Neku is my dream Square rep and I think he hinges entirely on a new TWEWY. A full sequel, and he'd have to be the protagonist, which if you've played the original probably isn't the direction they'll go in terms of a sequel (maybe the new content in the Switch port changes this but I haven't played it yet.) There's like a 10% chance of that happening to pull a random number out of my ass.

If that doesn't happen then it doesn't really make sense for the suits at Nintendo to go for him.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo's 2019 E3 is already the best one because Pokemon 2019 will be there.

The best part of Let's Go releasing is now there's nothing stopping Gen 8 from being announced.
And likely Metroid+Bayo 3...still want my Kid Icarus HD (even if it’s not Uprising...but it must be Uprising)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I really want to try out Kid Icarus: Uprising. Hope at some chance it gets ported to the Switch otherwise I just might get a 3DS just for the game alone.

That and I'm a mythology buff which its based on Greek Mythology.

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultzss: The shoes will be canon everyone will be upset. I won't care cuz I like them...

:ultbayonetta: Will wear :ultzss: 's clothes.

I am believing they shop at the same stores, this is my head canon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Probably late on a lot of stuff, but I think it maybe best to look at Nintendo's past showings at every VGAs.

2014: First looks at games such as Codename: S.T.E.A.M. and Super Mario Maker and the official reveal of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild gameplay.
2015: Unfortunately nothing, was the year Satoru Iwata passed away, so they mainly only had a tribute for him and Reggie's speech dedicated to him.
2016: Another trailer dedicated to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Note, this event wasn't important for Nintendo, considering they were getting prepared for the January 2017 Switch Presentation to unveil all what the Nintendo Switch was back in October 2016.
2017: Bayonetta 1 + 2 for the Switch announced for Feb. 2018, Bayonetta 3 announced. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild DLC Pack 2 announced and released that same night.

I think it's very evident that 2015 and 2016 weren't as important to Nintendo as it was pretty much some of their worst years for them in a long time/preparing for the Switch's release/etc., but you could at least see even back during 2014, they definitely had some care for the awards show, in terms of world premieres and it was definitely apparent of that attitude coming back last year.

I think with how 2019 is shaping up to be another "Insane Zelda/Mario Year" for Nintendo, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a Smash Ultimate DLC fighter reveal, especially with this being one of their most biggest titles to ever be released. After all, one of Nintendo's plans for 2019 throughout is Smash DLC alongside Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime 4, so I just can't see the chance of it being something like 0%.

What I DO expect, however, is Metroid Prime Trilogy + Metroid Prime 4 with some other announcement. With this year having (once again lololol) the "biggest line-up of announcements in VGAs' history", we could have some Smash news and it'd bring another pretty big push during release, too. (Of course, depending on the character.)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultzss: The shoes will be canon everyone will be upset. I won't care cuz I like them...

:ultbayonetta: Will wear :ultzss: 's clothes.

I am believing they shop at the same stores, this is my head canon.
God, I hope they become canon.
Because as is, they're pretty damn stupid both canonically and Smash wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom