• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To anyone saying "Spirits" means "Deconfirmed":

King K. Rool and Male Wii Fit Trainer are spirits. Chrom will be in Robin's Final Smash even if there is another Chrom. Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 that turned to DLC.

The whole "Spirits means confirmation" arguments are dumb.
King K. Rool is an alt of him and the Male Wii Fit Trainer is a yoga stance, not the characters. We have yet to see a Spirit based off of an actual playable character.

Chrom is an odd case in general, and I'd name him an exception.

Mewtwo and Lucas were universally popular veterans, so Sakurai was inclined to bring them back. Compared to them, Geno lacks the widespread popularity that they had (everyone wanted the cut veterans back). It's also possible that they were planned earlier than the game's release, and the trophies were added anyways.

D

Deleted member

You'd be surprised, some folks bought Crossover games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom just because Zero finally got into a Vs game (SNK v Capcom Chaos doesn't count to a number of people), this was before he was a mainstay Vs character mind you but still. Character choices matter a lot to some people.

I know some folks who aren't big into Nintendo stuff get Smash 4 just because Cloud got in too.
I am one of those people. I bought UMvC3 primarily because it had Phoenix Wright.
Characters play a much larger part in crossover fighting games than people like to think, the roster is one of the reasons why a lot of people hated MvCI for example.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Fighting games live and die by their roster.
It doesn't matter how good the gameplay it is if your roster doesn't appeal to anyone.
See: MvCI.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I am one of those people. I bought UMvC3 primarily because it had Phoenix Wright.
Characters play a much larger part in crossover fighting games than people like to think, the roster is one of the reasons why a lot of people hated MvCI for example.
The roster is the primary selling point for every crossover fighting game.

That's just an undeniable fact.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, even if I had a problem with dark skin, I probably would have gotten over it after all the amazing technicolor anime hair. I can't tell if that guy is serious or just messing with people, though. It'd be funny if he didn't seem to actually believe it.

Of course, I didn't even come here to say that. I was just reading some of the posts from earlier about movies, and I realized that all of the Nintendo franchises that would be best suited for movies are the ones they're not doing. Splatoon in particular could be fun, and it's already such a weird world that Illumination's antics wouldn't actually be out of place.

D

Deleted member

In light of the potentially good news, here's my take on Celica's moveset for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Just in case the stars align, you know?

CELICA Sets Sail!

Normal Attacks

Jab: Using the Beloved Zofia, Celica performs a three hit combo attack. The first strike comes downward from overhead, the second comes from the side in a sweeping motion, and the third has Celica twirling a bit, swinging the blade from behind in an upward motion. This is based on her in-dungeon combo from Shadows of Valentia. Specifically, it comes directly from her second, third, and fourth strike.

Dash Attack: The small wisp of fire following Celica creates a wall of flames in front of her as she charges forward. Unlike her other magical attacks, no recoil is done here. This is changed, however, if Celica charges her Fire special. If it is charged, this move makes Celica take minor recoil damage, but also makes the move hit much harder. This is taken directly from her dash attack in Shadows of Valentia.

Up Tilt: Celica points the Beloved Zofia skyward as the glowing flame beside her becomes three fire balls, which twirl around the tip of her sword. A multi-hit move.

Side Tilt: Celica thrusts the Beloved Zofia forward, moving slightly in the direction she's facing while doing so. This move comes from the first and fifth strike of her in-dungeon combo in Shadows of Valentia.

Down Tilt: Celica, while crouched, moves her hand outward, launching a small, thunderous spark toward the ground. Due to the stun effect, this move can combo into itself twice before knockback forces foes away.

Smash Attacks:

Up Smash: Celica, using the Beloved Zofia like a sort of baton, casts Excalibur above her, creating a slow-rising razor wind. It travels higher up and does more damage the longer it is charged. The move has a trapping effect due to it being a rapid multi-hit move.

Side Smash: Celica leaps up and smashes the Beloved Zofia downward onto opponents. This is based on her critical hit and finishing blow animation in both Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia. However, this move does far less knockback than the rest of her smash attacks, due to not being magically backed.

Down Smash: Celica performs her casting animation and casts Thunder, hitting both sides of the ground beside her with bolts of lightning.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Celica's fire ball splits into a small stream of fire. Celica moves the Beloved Zofia in a circular motion and the stream of flames circles around her twice, clockwise.

Forward Air: Celica, using a variation of Seraphim, quickly grows angelic wings and uses them to slam foes both forward and downward. This move is based on one of Celica's attacks in Fire Emblem Warriors.

Back Air: Celica quickly makes a backhanded strike with the Beloved Zofia. Here, the tip of the blade is blessed with the Thunder spell, creating a small orb of electricity at the end. Hitting with the spark does much more damage.

Up Air: Celica uses another variant of Excalibur, sending a small gust of wind upward. Knockback-wise and potency-wise, it is somewhere between Mega Man's and Mr. Game and Watch's wind-based up airs.

Down Air: Celica points her arms downward, spreading her fireball into a stream of fire beneath her in a parabolic arc.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws:

Grab and Pummel: Celica has a fairly standard grab, and pummels by imbuing her hands with fire to burn the opponent. The pummel does not, however, cause recoil damage, despite being magic-based. This holds true for Celica's throws as well.

Forward Throw: Celica releases the foe as three columns of fire erupt in front of her, beneath the foe, carrying them away before causing severe knockback.

Back Throw: Celica tosses the foe back and releases a blast of light magic from her hands, sending them flying.

Up Throw: Celica waves her arms overhead after bringing her foe upward, shocking them with electricity before launching them.

Down Throw: Pointing her Beloved Zofia to the ground, three strikes of compressed wind energy pummel the foe before bouncing them off the ground of the stage.

Special Attacks:

Neutral Special: Fire (Ragnarok) - Celica charges up her fire ball that shoots forward before exploding. At full charge, this becomes Ragnarok, which is incredibly powerful, doing roughly 35% damage and quite a bit of knock back, but at the expense of Celica taking hefty recoil damage. Chargeable and storable. While it is stored, however, any attack using Celica's fire ball will grow in power, but the recoil damage of the move will be more severe. This does not effect her pummel or forward throw, however.

Side Special: Seraphim - Celica clasps her hands together as she is bathed in a flash of white light. A giant ball of white light surrounds Celica when the button is released, and it slowly moves forward. If the opponent is overlapping Celica's light, they will be trapped similarly to Mewtwo's neutral air, before being carried forward with the ball of light and being erupted from it when it reaches its full distance. A "get off me" move befitting Celica's connection to Mila and having one of her weaknesses protected.

Up Special: Excalibur - Celica summons a gust of razor wind around her as she ascends. Nearby foes get cut by the wind, though Celica also takes minor damage from this move (less than five percent).

Down Special: Mila's Turnwheel - Celica clasps her hands and enters a praying stance. A counter-styled move, if Celica activates this move at the right moment of impact with the foe, the foe is pushed away, doing no damage. However, Celica is healed by ten percent, making it a very risky way of restoring health. Note, though, that the move has far stricter timing than other Counter-like moves, and excessive usage of the move will lower the amount of health it heals.

Final Smash: Ragnarok Ω - If foes are in range of the attack's start up, a cutscene plays, based on Celica's in-game cutscene when activating this move. Visually, they're essentially the same. The move then ends. Unlike in Shadows of Valentia, this move does not cause recoil damage to Celica, due to being her Final Smash.

Overview:

Celica mainly relies on her spells, with a few moves utilizing the Beloved Zofia, like her jab. The Beloved Zofia acts more like a conduit for her spells here than an actual weapon for most of her moveset, where she makes graceful guiding motions with it to focus her spells, not unlike a baton, or how Toon Link uses the Wind Waker. For the few attacks where she uses the Beloved Zofia for offense, she takes a more rapier-like style.

Like in Shadows of Valentia's dungeon segments, Celica is followed by a small wisp of fire. This is mostly cosmetic and serves as a neat way for her to animate some of her attacks, but also benefits from her neutral special, wherein she can increase its size the more she charges her Fire spell. This increases the size of some of her attacks' hit boxes at the expense of more recoil damage, and after firing off her charged Fire or Ragnarok, the wisp fizzles back to its original size.

In reference to Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia's unique magic system, Celica takes a variant of Pichu's self damage gimmick, but better executed. Celica does more self damage the more potent her spells are, but can reliably kill using them. Her issue stems from her being the epitome of a glass cannon, as she can't take hits well at all, especially when using her higher recoil spells. In addition to reflecting her game of origin's mechanics, her moveset also reflects her personality and character, with her gracefulness coming through in her use of the Beloved Zofia and her penchant for self-sacrifice coming through in her powerful spells' recoil.

Entrance Animation:
Celica slowly walks in and creates her wisp of fire from her hand, as in her dungeon entrance animation from Shadows of Valentia.

Taunts:
Up Taunt - Celica holds her right arm up as the wisp of fire wraps around it, traveling upward until it bursts into flames above her hand, all while saying "I'm not about to stop here!"
Side Taunt - Celica holds a hand over her heart and says "Guide me, Mila."
Down Taunt - Twirls and puts a hand on her hip, saying "All thanks to the Mother." This is taken directly from her Shadows of Valentia victory animation.
She plays a little bit like Ness and Robin. I like the effort put into it.
"DECONFIRMATION"
It took me three edits to keep this to deconfirmation. Thanks auto-correct.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't like it when people try to argue a character design is "unrealistic" when it's not actually trying to be realistic. Anime characters aren't meant to be 100% realistic just as most cartoon characters aren't. Part of the appeal of animation is that you can create things that could never actually happen in the real world.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I just meant that someone with asian features and dark skin is very rare in real life but extremely common in anime. I listed tons of other tropes but I'm sorry that this one offended you.
images.jpeg

You sure about that buddy? Are you talking about the entire world, or the small section of it that you live in?

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I feel like this has been the 12th time we went over this "Spirit decomfirms" thing.

1. We don't know who the first DLC character will be and we can only believe who told the right facts when it happens. So Hitagi might be on the plate, but his words shouldn't be taken as gospel.
2. Mewtwo and Lucas were Trophies before they became DLC a few months later.
3. There's been about 15 cases of Spirits being the same as a Newcomer/Veteran fighter in entity.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
View attachment 177572
"Your misguided hope only serves to prolong your suffering"
Yes I know. But at this point I’ve made peace with all of the likely Square reps, since they would all bring something cool to the table. If Geno gets in, it will actually be kind of sad that Sora and Slime were just pipe dreams. It’s just that Geno has been a pipe dream for longer, so he takes priority lol

D

Deleted member

Have you not been paying attention for the past few months?
I do it all! For free! Because i'm crazy!
Just tell me what you want, I got you.

Just...nothing too complicated, ok?
Wow! Thanks man! How about I DM you details?

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Because what you said is VERY easy to take out of context.

The fact that everyone assumed you were being a racist ******* should prove that "We don't talk about skin color like it's a bad thing."
Again though I never said that dark skin was a bad thing. I was just listing off tropes and you guys took it the wrong way. It is really depressing that whenever I try to discuss something on these boards I get attacked. Maybe I should only post when I'm not in the minority anymore because people have been really hostile. Maybe I should have said it more carefully like beach babe tan skin or something... Oh well, these boards aren't a good use of time anyways

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I don't like it when people try to argue a character design is "unrealistic" when it's not actually trying to be realistic. Anime characters aren't meant to be 100% realistic just as most cartoon characters aren't. Part of the appeal of animation is that you can create things that could never actually happen in the real world.
Because we all know what happens when anime is treated as realistic, and its name is Detective Pikachu.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Nothing, because I'm changing the topic!

Favorite Ultimate stage, go! Mine's Fourside.
Gah! Don't make me choose!

Moray Towers, Spear pillar, Prism Tower, Dracula's Castle, Tortimer Isle, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Final Destination Ultimate, New Donk City, Magicant, I love too many!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I really don't think these disconfirmation theories mean anything, especially when Nintendo themselves weren't the ones developing the Spirits and I'm sure they could care less, plus it's not like Spirits were late-additions with DLC fresh on the mind. The devs do whatever they want, acting like theories predict them 100% kinda feels annoying; I mean, nothing wrong with the theories themselves, it's just acting like they're hard facts.

Mewtwo and Lucas also kept both their fighter trophy and old trophy in Smash 4, I don't see why it couldn't be the same for Spirits.

Also, Kaptain K. Rool isn't "King" K. Rool but it's still the same character, just in a costume, and the Wii Fit poses still have the Wii Fit Trainer. I don't see why we have to nitpick everything for the sake of disconfirming everything and everyone. Some characters even have other art they could use for their Fighter Spirit, even Geno if they're alright with using jigsaw puzzles and whatever other merchandise SMRPG had.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nothing, because I'm changing the topic!

Favorite Ultimate stage, go! Mine's Fourside.
A lot, I would say. They are all so vibrant and colorful! The fact that you can play them on FD and Battlefield makes me happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
View attachment 177573

You sure about that buddy? Are you talking about the entire world, or the small section of it that you live in?
Yes the entire world. Have you been to china? I have and I can't even remember one dark skinned person except the tourist from South America I met. I'm just saying that beach babe tan is an anime trope ok let's please drop this. I know there are darker skinned people in Vietnam etc. But not the dark tan like in modt anime that's all. *Sigh*

Double K

Smash Lord
Again though I never said that dark skin was a bad thing. I was just listing off tropes and you guys took it the wrong way.
Dark skin is a weird anime trope where they don't actually look like any race. Her armor is not made to be effective it's made to look attractive/cute
She's some young puny girl who should not be a warrior and I hate those kinds of characters that incorporate all the anime tropes which all also happen to be as unrealistic as it gets.
THERE IS NO WAY TO READ INTO THIS STATEMENT THAT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE NOT RACIST

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
THERE IS NO WAY TO READ INTO THIS STATEMENT THAT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE NOT RACIST
Do you even know what racism means? I'm talking about the beach babe tan on adian chicks that is mostly unrealistic that's all. Please drop this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom