• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
From what I get DQ characters in crossovers are usually side characters, never the player characters.
Yes, which is what makes the possible DQ inclusion so interesting. Could it be the Slime, or one of the many popular secondaries? Or go against the grain and start with the Hero? There are many variables and possibilities.

I was trying to imply I wasn't speaking from a place of knowledge haha. That's just what I see most here say.
Well, there is Fortune Street, they mingled with :ultmario: characters there.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
You know what would be the craziest thing?

Steve gets in but he’s completely redesigned to look more appealing and fitting alongside the cast.

He’s no longer a blocky textured model and is given a brand new fluid 3D model from the ground up, despite characters needing to be 100% faithful to their games, it was because Sakurai couldn’t make his regular design work with his main proportions.

How would you react to that?

Just as bad as if this was Mega Man's design in Smash.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
OK, by this point, I think certain someone is just looking for atention. I think engaging him/her is not going to be productive.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thank you bro. It's much appreciated.

If a Dragon Quest character gets in over Sora I might dip out of the community for a bit to focus on my schoolwork

Sora's not coming home man. Dragon Quest makes more promotional sense given Dragon Quest XI S coming out soon and its prominence in Japan, which overshadows KH's worldwide popularity.
You ain't alone here TPC
We'll get through this
Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 8.37.53 PM.png

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Sora's not coming home man. Dragon Quest makes more promotional sense given Dragon Quest XI S coming out soon and its prominence in Japan, which overshadows KH's worldwide popularity.
weren't these the exact same reasons i had while we were arguing about sora the other day

turned around pretty quickly on that one

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
everyone here needs to stop posting and watch the slime adventures OVA by Masaaki Yuasa (Tatami Galaxy, Devilman Crybaby, Mind Game)
Its not subbed but whatever, the animation and drawings are charming enough to keep watching

Last edited:

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
Man I'm so stoked to find out what the DLC characters are... does anyone have any cool game recommendations coming out in the next month or so to tide me over until we learn their identities?
i've been getting into brawhalla to tide me over till smash. it's actually a pretty fun f2p smash-styled platform fighter, and I'm starting to get so used to its controls that I'm wondering if I could rock the same control scheme in smash itself
brawhalla is kind of a freemium game though, if you care about that

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
For the record, I don’t mean like a literal upgraded version of his blocky self. (Like that infamous creepy Steve fan art)

I mean something the lines of looking cartoony and freshly made in CGI.

It’s basically something on the lines of giving Retro characters fully made from scratch 3D models in Melee.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For the record, I don’t mean like a literal upgraded version of his blocky self. (Like that infamous creepy Steve fan art)

I mean something the lines of looking cartoony and freshly made in CGI.

It’s basically something on the lines of giving Retro characters fully made from scratch 3D models in Melee.
I... can't imagine what you're talking about.
The entire aesthetic of Minecraft is voxels with low-res textures.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Gestahl

Smash Cadet
If not Banjo Kazooie as a team gets a dlc shot, what do you think of if they could like get half of them, only Banjo or only Kazooie. I think Kazooie would be best of the two and that would be a great solution. We have to few birdsrelated vharacters in smash!

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
You know what would be the craziest thing?

Steve gets in but he’s completely redesigned to look more appealing and fitting alongside the cast.

He’s no longer a blocky textured model and is given a brand new fluid 3D model from the ground up, despite characters needing to be 100% faithful to their games, it was because Sakurai couldn’t make his regular design work with his main proportions.

How would you react to that?
The thing is, his appeal is his blocky appearance, so...

Personally, I’d keep the basis of his design and proportions, and the way I’d update his design is by overlaying HD textures under the pixel textures (so, his shirt for example, instead of being just a pixel texture, it’d be an HD fabric texture with a pixelart print on it) and make his clothes and hair slightly 3D so that it looks like actual clothes and hair rather than being skintight. His face wouldn’t change very much, though.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
really excited for lara croft
I don't think I could be mad if it's Lara ****ing Croft tbh

Hmm
The pessimist in me says that that rules out any DQ protagonist since even Erdrick/Loto is rather niche.
And IMO you'd be right
Hitagi is very aware of what the, well, "gamers" know because he is one. Fact of the matter is that over here most people don't realize any DQ protagonists have names.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Hitagi is very aware of what the, well, "gamers" know because he is one. Fact of the matter is that over here most people don't realize any DQ protagonists have names.
the only dq protagonist that has a name is erdrick, everyone else is just called by the number of game they were in

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Hitagi sayz, in response to the SE rep...

You will definitely be fimiliar with the character if any of the supposed characters are true

No idea what to think at this point.
Could easily be something like

Erdrick
Slime (since Hitagi has said that they have heard of DQ characters plural)
Sephiroth
Terra or Bartz or something
Crono
2B
Lara Croft

But more likely, Hitagi has only heard different things at different times, and doesn't have an actual "list". For all we know, their characters could be different from Verge's. Or Square hasn't even let the real character leak yet, and it's all leak bait. There's no way of knowing right now.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I tried to get into Kingdom Hearts in the hype of Sora possibly being in.

I have to say, in terms of crossovers, it rivals Smash. Smash in terms of the huge scale, and Kingdom Hearts in terms of how damn crazy it is.

Smash Bros is a god tier crossover, but it'd make sense for Nintendo to crossover all their characters.

Who's idea was it to combine Square-Enix and Disney?

The entire franchise seems so surreal. Look at this image and tell me this isn't weird to see in the same game.

Regardless, I like the games, and I'll be pretty hype if Sora gets in.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
the only dq protagonist that has a name is erdrick, everyone else is just called by the number of game they were in
Exactly.
Most people don't even realize who the DQ protagonists are.
Thank you for the correction.

Could easily be something like

Erdrick
Slime (since Hitagi has said that they have heard of DQ characters plural)
Sephiroth
Terra or Bartz or something
Crono
2B
Lara Croft
Could it though?
Why would any of these 3 names stick out more than others?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I mean, Piranha Plant is actually one of the most iconic characters on the roster at this point. This could mean anything.
slime is a well known character even to people in the west who haven't played dragon quest

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Thank you bro. It's much appreciated.

If a Dragon Quest character gets in over Sora I might dip out of the community for a bit to focus on my schoolwork

Dragon Quest 11 sales despite being very impressive were 75 percent attributed to Japan. I think Square is smarter than that, they would follow in adding a character that are globally popular like Cloud was. Despite Dragon Quest 11 coming to the Switch its most likely the majority of its sales would still come from Japan. Given Square's recent cross promotion characters being Noctis and 2B they clearly are choosing characters that are more globally popular than just popular in Japan. We have not see them really try to cross promote Dragon Quest recently, and being that Kingdom Hearts is one of their flagships franchises it makes sense that Square would want to push Sora. Now as for the Nintendo hurdle, yes KH3 not coming to the switch hurts Sora's chances. That being said Cloud was not on a Nintendo game when he was announced. Even further FF7 is the reason why Nintendo and Square had a fall out in the first place. It would have made more sense as iconic as Cloud is that they put another FF character, one that is not a sore spot. Also none of the recent FF games were coming to a Nintendo console. if we were calculating his odds back then it would be 10 out of 100. Very similar odds that we find Sora in now. Yes Dragon Quest makes sense I wont take away from that, but we have to see Square's cross promotion patterns. They choose more of their globally popular characters and more of their recent characters.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Could it though?
Why would any of these 3 names stick out more than others?
I actually forgot about that detail from Verge (was it him who said that)? At the time, I thought it was probably Sora, Geno, and a DQ character, but if two of those aren't on the table (arguably the heaviest hitters) then I don't know. Like I said, it's possible that Verge knows more than Hitagi, or just knows different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom