• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Predictions:
- DQ Rep (They were likely before, they are even more now)

- Dee (Really popular and if Nintendo has access to the official ballot and Dee scored high (which he likely did), they would probably pick him because Waddle Dees (as a species) are iconic, marketable (in Japan) and used in a lot of promotional art, along with BWD)

- Rayman (he's a lock in my book, since Ubisoft and Nintendo are buddies now and Rabbids made it as a spirit)

- King Boo (gotta get that Luigi's Mansion promotion)

- Insert Microsoft character here

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think my reservation comes from the fact that I hate commercials and people trying to push products on me. Nintendo choosing the characters is at best innocent advertisements and just screams manipulative to me.

I hate crap like that. If it is product placement, I will not buy it.
I feel like what makes it worse is that they seem to only advertise certain things. And not others. Like why choose to advertise Corrin when they could have advertise another Nintendo title?

Atleast with fan favorites, classic icons, or strange surprises there is a little bit more fairness in who gets in. Nintendo is basically choosing for us what is the hot new Nintendo game we all should love. And for some reason it's always a Fire Emblem character.

I think perhaps I would be a little more sympathetic if the promotional character was from a game that wasn't doing too well and need a little push. Like Chibi-Robo.

D

Deleted member

I really don't understand why people would put Sylux as a possible newcomer. He's literally based on ONE BIG ASSUMPTION that's he's gonna be the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 4. We know nothing about that game yet he's somehow going to be relevant because Samus did a terrible job of offing the guy in Prime Hunters? That he had two cameo appearances and they're all leading up to Prime 4? What if he doesn't show up, or has a minuscule role? What then?

I remember people suggesting Sylux over Ridley like he was the next best thing to a Metroid newcomer if Ridley was never going to happen as a playable character. It's utterly baffling to me that Sylux, who has nothing but assumptions would somehow get in over Ridley. It's still baffling because he's all based on assumptions.
Sylux is the Boba Fett of Metroid

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This tweet gives me hope for characters that Sakurai wouldn't necessarily consider.
Wait, what? Since when have people considered Rhythm Heaven obscure?
I mean to be fair, Megamix got a digital only release in America while it got a physical releases everywhere else...
It just seems like it just doesn't do well in the States
(I am saying this as a Rhythm Heaven fan)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nintendo needs to stop getting into multiple peoples pants and dms

Sega, Capcom, Namco, maybe Konami/Square, Platinum, Wayforward, the new Dead Telltale, Ubisoft, Microsoft...Nintendo pimps out
Don't forget Yacht Club Games, which has Shovel Knight as an assist in Ultimate.
And WayForward, since they have that Shantae spirit.

Joking aside, something's going to be really amiss if Rayman isn't in the game as a Spirit.

Sylux is the Boba Fett of Metroid
>in before the Metroid Prime 4 bad guy turns out to be one of the other Hunters instead of him

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Nintendo is deciding the DLC? Yeah, I'm out. I don't see any road forward for Saki, Elma, Matthew, Mio, Lip, Mach Rider, or any of the other characters that would excited me. I might still buy it (I didn't for Sm4sh), but I don't see a point in speculation any more.

It's been cool, guys. I'm out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Didn't the Mii Costume come with Cloud, though?

Cloud may have been in development before the ballot ended, too, since unique fighters supposedly take a year to finish.

I am expecting a DQ character or Sora, though, if Nintendo's pool of characters for Sakurai to choose from didn't include Geno.
What I'm saying is the statement in question proves Sakurai was cognizant of Geno's popularity pre-ballot, still opted for Cloud (or at least Nintendo did), and even with the ballot, didn't include him. Now that we're back on to DLC, with Nintendo calling the shots, I believe the factors that got Cloud included over Geno last time, even though Geno was already known to be a very popular fan request, will once again cause favouritism towards the character with the wider appeal.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really don't understand why people would put Sylux as a possible newcomer. He's literally based on ONE BIG ASSUMPTION that's he's gonna be the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 4. We know nothing about that game yet he's somehow going to be relevant because Samus did a terrible job of offing the guy in Prime Hunters? That he had two cameo appearances and they're all leading up to Prime 4? What if he doesn't show up, or has a minuscule role? What then?

I remember people suggesting Sylux over Ridley like he was the next best thing to a Metroid newcomer if Ridley was never going to happen as a playable character. It's utterly baffling to me that Sylux, who has nothing but assumptions would somehow get in over Ridley. It's still baffling because he's all based on assumptions.
Finally someone said it.

It's the same **** with Sceptile in that he's just kind of a relic from the old days where he got a burst of popularity based on trends or fan rules or "this guy is deconfirmed so I guess it has to be this guy". People just stuck with it because hey, we used to support this guy so let's throw him in, sure!

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Okay, since the DLC is ready now, they're definitely gonna announce it shortly after or right before the launch. The only question is when? Sooner is better if they wanna get ahead of leakers before they figure things out.
They're not teady. They only just picked it

Noipoi

Howdy!
Nintendo is deciding the DLC? Yeah, I'm out. I don't see any road forward for Saki, Elma, Matthew, Mio, Lip, Mach Rider, or any of the other characters that would excited me. I might still buy it (I didn't for Sm4sh), but I don't see a point in speculation any more.

Farewell, my friend.
See you on the flipside.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Good luck and thanks for being part of the speculation cycle.

This speculation cycle keeps getting wilder and wilder. I just hope there will be surprises along the way.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Why are people saying Edgelord and a gen 8 Pokemon will be in when it has already been established that dlc was decided too late for Rex?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I've said before that I'd like to see a Three Houses rep in as DLC, specifically Edelgard, but now that I think about it, Edelgard probably won't be a DLC character for Smash Ultimate. Sakurai did mention before that he was worried that FE was over-represented, and I'm sure he's aware of the backlash from the west after the reveal.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

See ya, and thanks for the Boshi support :yoshi:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

See you tomorrow

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Actually, given Nintendo choose the DLC, does that mean the game rule is no longer valid?
Are we getting Goku?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

This happens to me like every Smash cycle.
And now I'm here, ****posting again.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This tweet gives me hope for characters that Sakurai wouldn't necessarily consider.
Why is Nintendo more trustworthy to deliver characters we want than Sakurai is?

If anything the list might just be a bunch of future Nintendo titles they want to advertise for. Games they don't even know players will like.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Predictions:
- DQ Rep (They were likely before, they are even more now)

- Dee (Really popular and if Nintendo has access to the official ballot and Dee scored high (which he likely did), they would probably pick him because Waddle Dees (as a species) are iconic, marketable and used in a lot of promotional art, along with BWD)

- Rayman (he's a lock in my book, since Ubisoft and Nintendo are buddies now and Rabbids made it as a spirit)

- King Boo (gotta get that Luigi's Mansion promotion)

- Insert Microsoft character here
It would be ironic if BWD wasn't picked of Sakurai's own volition. Overall, I'd be mighty fine with the former 4 scenarios.

They're not teady. They only just picked it
Right, back to the usual then. :4falco:

Untouch

Smash Master
Why are people saying Edgelord and a gen 8 Pokemon will be in when it has already been established that dlc was decided too late for Rex?
Outside of the people who want these characters, just general obnoxious pessimism.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Actually, given Nintendo choose the DLC, does that mean the game rule is no longer valid?
Are we getting Goku?
I'm gonna be extremely blunt with you. Goku in smash jokes have never been funny and never will be, and anyone who makes them come off to me as desperate for cheap laughs.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well with Nintendo picking the characters, Ammy has less of a chance than before that's sad, but it just means I have another chance in wave 2. For now I'm eager to see what characters Nintendo chose. I'd be over the moon if any of them were Elma, Shantae, Sora, Rayman, or all of the four.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I am so ****ing giddy about Travis's chances now. If he gets in and Chibi Robo gets a Spirit and Costume, that's my Brawl most-wanteds both in.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Don't know if it's been brought up yet, but today's song is Guile's Theme.

This soundtrack is legitimately the best in any video game I've played (or will play).

blackghost

Smash Champion
i think that when we get the 5 there will be 4 clear Nintendo picks and one will be Sakurai's.

i don't believe we will see another wtf character. joke character dlc is a risk and not worth it. we will more than likely learn in a few years that PP was going to be in the base and time ran out.
people seem to forget that nintendo wants ultimate to be bigger in every way over 4. that includes dlc. if they go from Bayonetta, cloud, and ryu as dlc to something lesser it wont be well received by the general audience. i've said it before they want huge reponses internet crashing responses. every character doesnt have to do this but 3/5 need to imo.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Bye, have a good one...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Outside of the people who want these characters, just general obnoxious pessimism.
Which is why I keep suggesting Poochy. He's a pre-established character with a game coming up where he's VERY prominent in AND it's quite clear Nintendo loves the little guy regardless of what Sakurai thinks...

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
i think that when we get the 5 there will be 4 clear Nintendo picks and one will be Sakurai's.

i don't believe we will see another wtf character. joke character dlc is a risk and not worth it. we will more than likely learn in a few years that PP was going to be in the base and time ran out.
people seem to forget that nintendo wants ultimate to be bigger in every way over 4. that includes dlc. if they go from Bayonetta, cloud, and ryu as dlc to something lesser it wont be well received by the general audience. i've said it before they want huge reponses internet crashing responses. every character doesnt have to do this but 3/5 need to imo.
If we wanna get technical, piranha plant can be considered dlc, sooo

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Remember when you believed in sassy geno LOL
Ackshually if you knew **** you'd know I never once stated Sassy Geno was real, only defended it.
You on the other hand told me multiple times to just accept the leak was real

So, I'm not sure why you should have any authority on Goku jokes. Which are pretty freaking funny if done right. And that also seemed to be a genuine question on drag0n's hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom