• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So what you're saying is...
Tidus from Final Fantasy X and a Katamari Damacy rep is joining the battle?

Holy ****, that new guy who joined the forums who wanted Tidus MIGHT'VE BEEN A LEAKER AND WE DIDN'T KNOW IT.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Though Nintendo never had any huge stake in Smash 4's DLC, that was pretty much all Sakurai. I just don't want people to think there's supposedly a pattern where this whole "historically" **** has always been BTFO'd plenty of times. Shofu pretty much laid down facts about that argument.
I don't believe for one second that Nintendo had no huge stake in what would be their most profitable downloadable content. If their money is at stake, if major third-party relations are at stake, Nintendo is involved. If their hand isn't at the wheel, they're in the passenger seat.

Nintendo, not Sakurai, is probably the whole catalyst behind getting DLC in the first place.

Frankly what is happening now probably happened last time, where Nintendo culled together names, and Sakurai chose the ones he could work with. Except now that applies to all the (paid) DLC, whereas last time I'd imagine Sakurai had more autonomy in bringing back the vets.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One word:
View attachment 176305

While there's no telling if it was Edelgard who said it, as it's only assumed she was the one talking during the trailer, but Kouhai characters tend to be very popular in general. Cause, you know, "anyone who looks up to me can do no wrong."

Oh, and the axe also gives her popularity, since everybody wants a Fire Emblem character that doesn't use a sword. Despite wanting Lyn
Hector is standing RIGHT THERE

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
So the recent direct and this tweet killed all hype for the game? This is probably not gonna be a well received game by fans since yall are never satisfied, and will undoubtedly be overshadowed by Melee. Sucks
Don't you dare start with this unsatisfied bull****. Already have to deal with this in the Sonic fandom, it ain't starting here.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'll eat so many socks if Bandana Dee isn't in. He was a lock during base game speculation for good reason, and probably just didn't make it due to the limited amount of newcomers. Simon and Incineroar probably only slightly out prioritized him. Everything he had going for him back then still applies (Dedede's final smash, ballot, etc.)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Nothing is confirmed by this tweet. What does he mean by "Nintendo" chose the line up? Was it Miyamoto, who doesn't always make the best decisions but has a love for creativity? Was it some businessmen in suits who we don't know much about who makes choices based 100% off of expected profit? Was it Kimishima himself (which I kind of doubt)? We have no way of knowing.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I’m really curious to where the rumored VGA announcement of Sora fits into all of this tbh. If they haven’t began work on the DLC yet, and the line-up was just now complete, I wonder if Sora would even be apart of the Fighter’s Pass

Graizen

Smash Champion
"And the Agumon chances rise again"
"But people don't notice me posting about that"
"Becouse im thinking, not talking"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The big question IMO is whether or not Nintendo of America had a hand in the decision-making process. It wouldn't be totally out of the question, as the DLC needs to sell on its own and the US is one of the most major Smash markets.

And if NoA DID help...well, maybe...

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think this really changes any of my opinions, DLC was always likely going to be promotional since third parties are something both companies want to promote.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Actually, I'm gonna be honest.

Literally who in the blue riding **** is Geno as a character. What personally does he have.
Ohhh boy now you awakened the ****ing beast

1. Fascinating lore not often found in the Mario series. We don't know who he serves, we just know they're good and wanted him to restore wishes for the world.
  2. Wonderfully done design. Memorable, vibrant, and neat, and even cute.
  3. Awesome abilities. Dude can rain stars on your ass, can transform into a cannon and **** up your day, can do 9999 damage to you in one GENO WHIRL
  4. Mario RPG being a damn good and beloved classic of a game
  5. Manages to be badass even though he's a dork, like Cloud was intended to be
  6. Completely lost by history. Dude has appeared in person ONCE since his games release 20+ years ago. Can you not feel why he's an underdog?
  7. He'd bring along some absolutely great music, and one of the memorable settings of his game with him

I hope you don't need more but if you do I'll get more

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I’m really curious to where the rumored VGA announcement of Sora fits into all of this tbh. If they haven’t began work on the DLC yet, and the line-up was just now complete, I wonder if Sora would even be apart of the Fighter’s Pass
Would they even have time to prepare a trailer for Sora before the VGA?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The thing that bugs me a bit is that Rex and Spring Man aren’t running for DLC at the moment...

As it stands, although Nintendo is responsible for giving Sakurai a selection of chracaters to choose from, he is still the one that makes the final decision. But even then, Nintendo would’ve tried to influence Spring Man and Rex to get in since they are their biggest new stars as it stands, especially for Rex since Sakurai started to have had a good experience with the game, yet he showed Rex’s costume as if Rex wasn’t going to be available in the Fighter Pass, since Sakurai finalized all the characters just now.

Something doesn’t add up.
what on earth are you talking about?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
SMRPG was on the SNES mini.
Geno wasn't on Super Star Saga remake.

Also SECRET OF MANA was also on the Snes mini- which **** me, LEZ GO, SECRET OF MANA REP!
Good point about Superstar Saga. Perhaps they didn't feel it'd be worth pursuing the contract for a 5 second cameo no matter how him in Smash turned out.

D

Deleted member

The big question IMO is whether or not Nintendo of America had a hand in the decision-making process. It wouldn't be totally out of the question, as the DLC needs to sell on its own and the US is one of the most major Smash markets.

And this **** is why there's a disconnect between Nintendo of America and Japan, don't think I see you with that sly ****. :nifty:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh my God, this news makes my most-wanted characters look a LOT more likely.

The World Ends With You has been a big deal for the Switch as it was for the DS. This could really bolster Neku's chances.

Travis Strikes Again has been pushed hard and was even pushed to January so it could sell better. Nintendo could want to get this going especially since Suda ALREADY helped Nintendo out LAST Smash cycle. We could really be getting Travis!

A Xenoblade rep is more possible than ever. Elma's chances weren't necessarily affected one way or the other but if the rumors of an X port are true this could be her time.

Bandana Dee is also a popular and well-known character, so I'm optimistic there too!

This has me giddy. Even if we get someone from Dragalia Lost or whatever I don't care. This really makes me optimistic about the excitement of the choices.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

I'm seeing what you're putting down there.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
i'm sorry zinith
but i don't know if yoshi'd get newcomers
plus, we've got his alt but that's not much representation for him either way.

besides maybe a shy guy. i'd main it in an instant if it was a shy guy
Like I said, Poochy.

Plus, the Crafted Yoshi alt makes no sense in a promotional sense since it was never brought up in Directs. You'd think they'd say, "Hey, Yoshi's Crafted World is coming up. Here's a bonus for you!!!"

Also, you crossed out series that already had newcomers, so leaving YCW alone would've been consistent instead of going "lol, Yoshi ain't getting ****." It irritates me to say the least when my boi is always the exception to the rule...

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
A reminder, Nintendo also has access to the ballot results, which were already used to determine some of the fighters for Ultimate. So if I were Nintendo, and I wanted to maximize the profits of each DLC character based on who was most wanted, I'd have the most direct and relevant data any marketer or producer could ever want. A lot of issues with game developers nowadays is that they don't know what their fans want (e.g. Diablo Immortal), but Nintendo has the concrete answer for this.

Then again, if I were Nintendo, I also wouldn't bury the Virtual Console and push forward with a Netflix library of only NES games, so there's that.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I dont have much faith in Nintendo picking dlc characters. Makes me think the dlc characters are all going to be tie ins and the ballot will be ignored.

Id love to be proven wrong, but its better to expect a ****ty lineup and get an amazing one rather than expecting sometging you want and gettimg a turd under the Christmas tree.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Sakurai: "Hey guys so I am just gonna come here a say that your DLC characters are now under Nintendo's hands, and they already picked the first ones! Here's your favorite furry 3rd party character B-B-B-BUBSY, along with Virgil from the Bubsy cartoon pilot as an echo fighter! Sorry-not-Sorry!"

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
My worst nightmare is some Pink Gold Peach kind of thing. I really doubt that the bigger franchises (Zelda, Mario) won't get anything.
Another Fire Emblem character from Three Houses is very probable, at least it will come with a stage, the series really need it.
The most interesting part is that Nintendo can come with any thing, they know every project and its details. It opens a chest of unknown possibilities of games in development.
And, yeah, not every DLC fighter will be a promo but some of them will be FOR SURE.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Keep in mind that the picks being made by Nintendo doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any third party characters, and Sakurai and the development team still have the final say on who would work in Smash - they aren't going to force in a character just because Nintendo says so.
I honestly think it means that Nintendo will go for the 3rd party characters they want (if they choose 3rd parties here). It's why now I have more confidence in Geno and Banjo more than ever, they actually have Nintendo affiliation and history.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Like I said, Poochy.

Plus, the Crafted Yoshi alt makes no sense in a promotional sense since it was never brought up in Directs. You'd think they'd say, "Hey, Yoshi's Crafted World is coming up. Here's a bonus for you!!!"

Also, you crossed out series that already had newcomers, so leaving YCW alone would've been consistent instead of going "lol, Yoshi ain't getting ****." It irritates me to say the least when my boi is always the exception to the rule...
Feels cheap to single out Yoshi as being someone they would've highlighted an alt for when nobody even knew Pichu had any alts like he does until the demo after the Direct

NineS

Smash Lord
Like I said, Poochy.

I'll shorten the list. I hope I'm wrong about Yoshi though, but if Nintendo's choosing...

well, i'd still want boshi over the other potential kirby reps. I don't understand why Echos couldn't come with the DLC fighters.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
There is a difference with
"Line-up JUST NOW COMPLETE"
and
"We decided all characters at the same time and just now we decided who's in."

The Square-Enix talk from Vergeben started in august.
Mincraft since he leaked Ultimate.

And I can tell you that Ubisoft talked for AT LEAST spirit mode inclusion of rabbits near the end of last year.

Third parties discussion takes time, and they probably were the first one to be decided, probably since begining of this year and a VGA announcement is still possible

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ohhh boy now you awakened the ****ing beast

1. Fascinating lore not often found in the Mario series. We don't know who he serves, we just know they're good and wanted him to restore wishes for the world.
  2. Wonderfully done design. Memorable, vibrant, and neat, and even cute.
  3. Awesome abilities. Dude can rain stars on your ***, can transform into a cannon and **** up your day, can do 9999 damage to you in one GENO WHIRL
  4. Mario RPG being a damn good and beloved classic of a game
  5. Manages to be badass even though he's a dork, like Cloud was intended to be
  6. Completely lost by history. Dude has appeared in person ONCE since his games release 20+ years ago. Can you not feel why he's an underdog?
  7. He'd bring along some absolutely great music, and one of the memorable settings of his game with him
I hope you don't need more but if you do I'll get more
GET HIM LUIGI, GET clap emoji HIM.

COEm3j8UsAAwpuo.jpg

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Nintendo: "hmmm, 2B would be a good choice to promote the upcoming Switch version of Nier Automata."

:nifty::nifty:

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
So now that we know the characters were selected by Nintendo, my gently guesses:

-8th Gen Pokémon
-New Fire Emblem Protagonist
-Daemon X Machina protagonist
-Banjo Kazooie
-Chun Lee

No way they're not using some of these as a way to promote upcoming games, specially if the characters will be released throughout the next year just like those games.
I don't know you, but I think it's time to give up the idea of Bandana Dee :(

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
A reminder, Nintendo also has access to the ballot results, which were already used to determine some of the fighters for Ultimate. So if I were Nintendo, and I wanted to maximize the profits of each DLC character based on who was most wanted, I'd have the most direct and relevant data any marketer or producer could ever want. A lot of issues with game developers nowadays is that they don't know what their fans want (e.g. Diablo Immortal), but Nintendo has the concrete answer for this.

Then again, if I were Nintendo, I also wouldn't bury the Virtual Console and push forward with a Netflix library of only NES games, so there's that.
Nintendo's been messing up online but they've gotten so much right this cycle.

Odyssey and BOTW are hailed as returns to the roots and true modern classics for them.
Wonderful third party support.
Universal peripherals.
No region locking.
The classic edition consoles in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom