• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
do you think crash 4 smash is still a thing with this in mind?
I actually noticed a lot of people sleeping on Crash. who is he owned by again?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The big question IMO is whether or not Nintendo of America had a hand in the decision-making process. It wouldn't be totally out of the question, as the DLC needs to sell on its own and the US is one of the most major Smash markets.

And if NoA DID help...well, maybe...
DOOMGUY

D

Deleted member

Can I just say that isn't it great that even after the fact that it's a month until Smash Ultimate releases, the Final Direct has come and gone, we've all gone and chilled out, until it took Sakurai TWEETING OUT IN ENGLISH to rejuvenate Smash speculation?

Don't you think that you're off this ride yet, boy. You're in it for the long haul until 2020.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I really think Geno’s chances are less about if Nintendo wants to do it and more about if Square wants to. I remember reading that Square prefers for their guest characters to be DLC (I cant remember if I read this on Resetera or Verge said it, but when you consider Cloud/Noctis/2B all being dlc characters in the respective games they’re in, it makes sense) because it makes them way more money that way, so they can go the obvious money making picks like a DQ rep, Sora, etc, or they can try to appeal to smaller fanbases like Geno, Chrono, etc. And well... we all know how Square is.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
The big question IMO is whether or not Nintendo of America had a hand in the decision-making process. It wouldn't be totally out of the question, as the DLC needs to sell on its own and the US is one of the most major Smash markets.

And if NoA DID help...well, maybe...
I take it back I ain't buying the pass just yet

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
People are trying to read behind the lines way too much here.

Sakurai said "Nintendo chose the line up". That doesn't mean "don't blame me when the DLC line up turns out to be awful", it means "Nintendo chose the line up" and nothing more.

I've noticed that some people in this community have a really bad habit of projecting their fears and feelings onto Sakurai himself when in actuality we have no way to tell what he actual thinks beyond what he tells us upfront. I suppose that's one of the consequences of us idolizing him so much.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
My predictions (5 of them off course lol) :

Geno (he must be in that game)
Erdrick (Dragon Quest)
Slime
Sora (please no)
Steve
Gen 8 Pokémon
Fire Emblem (nintendo)Tree house reps
Monster Hunter (please no)
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Elma (please yes)
Lloyd Irving
Paper Mario
Rayman
Banjo & Kazooie
Crash
Heihachi (please no no no)

Screenshot these predicitons your dlc five are in it ! :shades: (or not lol)

My wishlist :

Mach ****ing Rider ! (my most wanted since Simon is in the game)
Genooooooooooooooooooooo
Erdrick
Ma boi Joker/Akira Kurusu from Persona 5
Lloyd Irving
Elma
Chorus Kids
Bonus : Isaac let's go AT promotion ! (:facepalm:)

Ok I pick 7 (if we don't count Isaac lol) but I can't throw out two of these

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Feels cheap to single out Yoshi as being someone they would've highlighted an alt for when nobody even knew Pichu had any alts like he does until the demo after the Direct
I was trying to explain why the Crafted Yoshi alt has no value as a promotional asset if Nintendo wasn't going to pull out all the stops. It's just there...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
He's not saying he's "approving" them. He gets the names from Nintendo, and he studies if they can make it work as a fighter. Or at least that's how I interpret it.
So you're saying...he approves them? Not to be condescending.
If Sakurai felt these characters wouldn't satisfy a good chunk of people I'm not sure he'd include them when he clearly has been given the choice not to

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Nintendo choosing the characters kind of makes me doubt Sora now unless they have a hidden KH3 port under their sleeve. I think we're getting a DQ rep.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
what on earth are you talking about?
I should’ve cleared up a bit. I’m confused that it seems that Rex and Pyra and Spring Man don’t seem to be in the Fighter Pass despite:

A) Rex and Pyra and Spring Man (ARMS) being Nintendo’s two new hottest properties that Nintendo would push for.

B) Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being a game Sakurai played and went in depth on his experience and how he apparently enjoyed it. If there was any character Sakurai would’ve agreed with Nintendo to work on, it would’ve been Rex.

C) The DLC roster being finalized just now.

Unless what we know about Rex and Spring Man are in terms of the base game, so far, this speculation seems to have shaken up a lot.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I really think Geno’s chances are less about if Nintendo wants to do it and more about if Square wants to. I remember reading that Square prefers for their guest characters to be DLC (I cant remember if I read this on Resetera or Verge said it, but when you consider Cloud/Noctis/2B all being dlc characters in the respective games they’re in, it makes sense) because it makes them way more money that way, so they can go the obvious money making picks like a DQ rep, Sora, etc, or they can try to appeal to smaller fanbases like Geno, Chrono, etc. And well... we all know how Square is.
The thing is Nintendo must approve their pick too.
Would they approve Sora if it'd make them not much actual money nor much in way of promotion as nothing KH related seems to be coming to Switch?
DQ makes a lot of sense imo.

potato69

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully Nintendo adds a Rhythm Heaven rep to advertise a brand new RH game for the switch. That would be a dream come true.

Alternatively, free the dee.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Digimon will have the first Game on a Nintendo console in 2019.
This is the first Big Digimon Game on a Nintendo console since Digimon Rumble Arena 2 on Gamecube!
That was in 2004.

If they want to make Digimon Survive sell alot, they will put Agumon in Smash.

This Plus the new Pokémon X Tamagotchi colaboration.

Think THINK

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
I'll eat so many socks if Bandana Dee isn't in. He was a lock during base game speculation for good reason, and probably just didn't make it due to the limited amount of newcomers. Simon and Incineroar probably only slightly out prioritized him. Everything he had going for him back then still applies (Dedede's final smash, ballot, etc.)
Sorry but Bandana Waddle Dee was not a lock during the base game speculation. In fact Dee had much lower chances then some of the other charcters (Issac, Geno, Banjo/Kazooie, Shadow). I think Dee has a high chance for dlc considering how Issac and Shadow are deconfirmed, and Geno’s fate seems to be unclear but I wouldn’t lock him in. I would give Bandanna Waddle Dee a 75% chance to be a dlc fighter.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Sakurai felt these characters wouldn't satisfy a good chunk of people I'm not sure he'd include them when he clearly has been given the choice not to
It seems like Sakurai has ultimate veto power, but the respect's gotta be mutual, so I'd imagine if Nintendo is particularly "enthused" about a certain character he'll do his utmost to get them working.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I was trying to explain why the Crafted Yoshi alt has no value as a promotional asset if Nintendo wasn't going to pull out all the stops. It's just there...
Now we're even using Nintendo for the /base game/
C'mon Zin

It's quite likely SAKURAI chose that costume, don't see why not. Also, it totally does make sense as a promotional asset. It promotes Crafted. What more do you need?

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Right now, I feel like if Sora is in the game, he must have older Kingdom Hearts games in the Switch after the announcement. Just like the Cloud situation.

I mean, Cloud is in Smash 4 and a few years later, Final Fantasy 7 is ported to the Switch. I wouldn't mind that Sora makes it in with his older KH ports into the Switch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People are acting like Miyamoto came up, put a gun to Sakurai's head, and gave him 5 characters to make. We jump the gun all the time, this time is no different.
Can I just say that isn't it great that even after the fact that it's a month until Smash Ultimate releases, the Final Direct has come and gone, we've all gone and chilled out, until it took Sakurai TWEETING OUT IN ENGLISH to rejuvenate Smash speculation?

Don't you think that you're off this ride yet, boy. You're in it for the long haul until 2020.
**** dog I should just leave while I'm ahead, my fragile, already anxiety-ridden heart can't take this.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Guys Shrek is one of the 5 dlc characters. Illumination are making the Mario movie and they are also rebooting Shrek. Coincidence? I think not. SHREK CONFIRMED!

Untouch

Smash Master
Another question is, who in Nintendo is picking the characters and what criteria are we going for?
Do they primarily care about DLC sales and will pick characters they know will sell?
Do they primarily care about series promotion and will pick characters they or third parties want to promote?

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
I think this raises Banjo-Kazooie's chances quite a bit honestly. Just because of the likely hood of an N64 mini coming eventually. Likely soon if they are one of the early characters.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Having thought about it, maybe it is slightly good news for Phoenix.

Ace Attorney is 2nd only to Mega Man to being loyal to Nintendo from the Capcom boys.
Phoenix isn't exactly a big name but isn't an unknown either.
Upcoming Switch port (albeit on multiple consoles and even STEAM, not exclusive anymore)

I'd say he'd at least be included on the list of fighters. Whether he was selected or not is the kicker.

Not holding my breath though. Far more bigger third parties on Nintendo consoles now to fry out there.

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Please be Dragon Quest. Please be Dragon Quest. Please be Dragon Quest!

I think Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses) is a safe bet at this point too.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Right now, I feel like if Sora is in the game, he must have older Kingdom Hearts games in the Switch after the announcement. Just like the Cloud situation.

I mean, Cloud is in Smash 4 and a few years later, Final Fantasy 7 is ported to the Switch. I wouldn't mind that Sora makes it in with his older KH ports into the Switch.
Which doesn't seem too likely to me.
"Let's remaster all the KH games AGAIN which we did for the sole purpose of catching people up but for a console KH3 ain't even coming on"

Could totally happen though.

Roberk

Smash Champion

• Square Enix rep? Check.
  • Dragon Quest rep? Check.
  • Character from an upcoming game on the Switch that Nintendo can promote? Check.
Here's one of your DLC characters, lads.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If Rex couldn't get in because he was too early, I still feel the FE and Pokemon rep fearmongering is totally baseless.
If anything, I feel Pokemon just got a lot LESS likely, it isn't Nintendo that deals with a lot of the marketing for the series, it's TPC.
Say it louder for the people in the ****ing back. Everyone's running down themselves even though no one truly knew who was coming for Sm4sh and generally speaking it was all hype for SOMEONE. Corrin was a special case and honestly if it wasn't such a controversial game people wouldn't have ever cared about promotional DLC. Hell, people wanted an ARMS rep and the new Xenoblade protagonist, two brand new games.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Having thought about it, maybe it is slightly good news for Phoenix.

Ace Attorney is 2nd only to Mega Man to being loyal to Nintendo from the Capcom boys.
Phoenix isn't exactly a big name but isn't an unknown either.
Upcoming Switch port (albeit on multiple consoles and even STEAM, not exclusive anymore)

I'd say he'd at least be included on the list of fighters. Whether he was selected or not is the kicker.

Not holding my breath though. Far more bigger third parties on Nintendo consoles now to fry out there.
Yea man I saw you scared about Wright and I was confused. Dude seems just as likely as ever imo. Which isn't much, but still a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom