• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just realized.
:ultchrom: is the only newcomer with a sword this time around.

I guess Sakurai listened to the people who were complaining about too many swordfighters (we got :ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultshulk::4miisword:last game)
That's actually kinda cool.
I don't have a problem with sword users, but each Ultimate newcomer having their own way of attacking is really rad.
*most wanted is (technically) a Swordsman*
OTL
We also only got five new original movesets.
The number of Newcomers we got (including PP) is also the same amount as the Original Smash Bros.

NineS

Smash Lord

I would like to drop this here.
Enix seems to love using Slime for Nintendo Crossovers... Then again, they used a Ninja, Black mage, and White mage.

This thing also played dodgeball, basketball, etc. without arms. It killed the "how can it do things without limbs" argument way before Smash did.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Not surprised.
I'd assume a whole lot of people have become really pessimistic about him since the grinch, and him in as a spirit.

Plus, Spawnwave with Sora made a lot of the silent Sora Supporters come out of the darkness. A lot of them are pretty cool, but now people are pushing for more recent characters, despite the fact Spawnwave's own source could potentially be wrong as to who the Enix Rep is, as Vergeben himself is unsure of it and has said how they're handling it

Not me though. I'm still confident in Geno, and aside from 2B the Slime, he's my next most wanted Enix Pick.
View attachment 176081
Well being a spirit does not disconfirms a character, so as someone who wants Shantae (who is a spirit) for DLC and is hopeful for her inclusion, I don't think Geno supporters should give up it's only fair to encourage other who feel their pick can't get in just because they're Spirits. That being said, being a Spirit is only part of Geno's troubles. Geno still has an very uphill battle, as it is very likely SE would chose someone other than Geno as a SE newcomer and Sora is looking very likely, considering Disney is not as insurmountable of a wall as we previously thought.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
It kinda reminds me of this piece of fan art that got posted in the Geno thread a while back.
View attachment 176096
I mean on one hand, Geno overslept, apparently. Oops.

But on the other hand, never lose hope, Geno dudes. One day you'll get your star warrior.
This picture makes me unreasonably happy for some reason. Something so wholesome about it.

The boys finally made it. Now they're just waiting for Geno.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Enix loves using Slime for Nintendo Crossovers... Then again, they used a Ninja, Black mage, and White mage.

This thing also played dodgeball, basketball, etc. without arms. It killed the "how can it do things without limbs" argument way before Smash did.
Even before that Slime was doing things without limbs in the Rocket Slime games.

I always thought it was a dumb argument anyway. It's a slime. If needed to it could probably just mould some arms for itself.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
How likely is Nightmare from Soul Calibur as a Bandai Namco Rep?
A Namco rep is likely coming as DLC, and I think Nightmare could be in the running. That said, If the Mii Costumes are any indication then Heihachi and Lloyd seem higher on the priority list. I'd love to see him make it in though. I mean Link was a guest character in Soul Calibur II. C'mon Nintendo, time to return the favor!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I understand how it is hard to stand your ground for your character when things look grim (Incineroar fan experience) and people think that your character isnt getting in. Wish you luck on the job!

This is beautiful! Its all of my mains in one place. Well, mewtwo would have to be replaced Piranha plant to be completely accurate.
I appreciate the sentiment. But what exactly is that supposed to mean? Things aren't looking grim for Geno and I'm not struggling to stand my ground. I'm left feeling like you said something nice, but confused as to what it actually was.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So what do you guys think should be the next approach for Smash. I'm still in the favor that it should be a Vs. crossover fighting game with Shonen Jump.
A spinoff RPG where all the characters have been turned into Sandbags, but each character retains certain features so you know who they are.

Idk how the story will go and I just thought of this, but it'd be funny.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Shifting Gears!

If we were to get an Atlus Rep, who would you want to be the Fighter?
I only have experience with Persona 5, but I know of SMT 3, Persona 3 & 4.

I think Joker would be a pretty awesome character. Though the gun (if used) would have to shoot magic or something IDK.

Also...doesn't Sakurai like Persona 5? I mean Spirits is kind of like fusing persona's to make a better...one....???

OH ****!! Joker could happen if Sakurai wants him!?
I would want Elizabeth. Or Thanatos. Or both.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shifting Gears!

If we were to get an Atlu-
Door.jpg

My time is now.

Alright, first off, let's acknowledge that SMT's extremely unrealistic, maybe only slightly more realistic than Etrian Odyssey.

That said, let's get to characters:
On the SMT side, you've got the protagonists, The Hero, Aleph, Flynn, and Nanashi, which all basically do the same thing.
Sword, Gun, Summun Demun. You get the idea. A moveset that has at least this would represent a big chunk of Megaten.
Comparing them to Castlevania they're basically the Belmonts of SMT in that they form the basis for everything else.
Character Thread (And general SMT social) for that ****'s below, with everything you need to know,
Please join, we only have 20 members.
SMT Chibis.png

Next up, Demi-fiend, SMT3 Nocturne guy.
The most popular of the mainline SMT protagonists due to how ****ing weird he is.
He also has the benefit of having actual 3rd person animations in a mostly first-person series.
He's basically the Alucard of SMT in that he doesn't represent SMT well at all,
BUT HOLY **** HE'S SO COOL.
65868246_p18_master1200.jpg
Also, his game is the first Megaten title to make it internationally and pave the way for everything else Atlus does nowadays.
Also:
dante from DMC.png

Next up on the list:
Minato Arisato/Makoto Yuki/Persona 3 Prtoagonist
Got me into Persona, as well as being the big game that popularized it. He's got every weapon in the game to use, and a total of 3 main personal Personas to use, and in general is cool while still being a reasonable high-school student.
Unfortunately, his main method of attacking is

So yeah, not happening.

Finally
JOKER. P5-kun
I really don't have anything to say. He's definitely not a normal high-school student for most of his gameplay, lol.
He's just cool. At least when he's in Metaverse form. In terms of just plain suaveness, no one even comes close.

And also cool when he's not ripping off Demi-fiend's style.
Joker P5MC and Demifiend.jpg
The biggest knock against him would be that his game's way, WAY too recent, even for DLC discussion.

AND THAT'S ALL FOR MY TEDXTALK
KTHANKSBYE.

door2.png

PS. Play a Shin Megami Tensei game, will ya? You don't even have to beat it. Just soak in dat sweet atmosphere.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I forgot how much I loved this track! Shadow Moses Island is gonna be a blast for me!
As much as I love the Brawl remix, I still wish they put the original version in as well (Though it probably has something to do with the copyright to the vocals). The Brawl version just ain't sad enough!

Oh well, at least I hope they brought "Calling to the Night" back. I can't wait to see if there any other new Metal Gear tracks/remixes.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The number of Newcomers we got (including PP) is also the same amount as the Original Smash Bros.
Uh, true. But since that's neither the count for the base game nor the eventual total count it seems more like temporary coincidence than anything.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Do you guys think these five DLC characters are gonna be the only ones or do you think we'll get at least 1 or 2 more seasons of characters and stages?

Noipoi

Howdy!
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
It's only seven.

Enix loves using Slime for Nintendo Crossovers... Then again, they used a Ninja, Black mage, and White mage.

Why is this gelatinous blob about to dunk on me?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Do you guys think these five DLC characters are gonna be the only ones or do you think we'll get at least 1 or 2 more seasons of characters and stages?
If the demand is high enough, I could see it.

It is kind of up to Sakurai if he feels that these DLC characters will be enough though.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Here's how Persona casts that have reoccurring tropes work out in my perspective:

MC: Hi I'm a nobody

Girl 1: HI I'M GIRLY AND HAVE ISSUES

Girl 2: Hi I'm perfect, except I'm not

Girl 3: Hi I'm talented with issues

Bro: Hi, I'm a great person in my own ways, but I am my friends chew toy and would never get true happiness out of the hardships of my friends because they're always pick on me no matter how much I don't/do deserve it. Help me.

Guy 1: Hi, I'm the unique guy, that's it, nothing more.

Guy 2: I'M PUMPED!

Animal: I'm cute love me.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's also stretchy and loves to slingshot itself around.

Look at this cute thing.
Where's my localised Rocket Slime 3 Squenix? Also localise Rocket Slime 1 pls

portalmasterJ11

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think tabuu will appear in world of light I think its pretty likely since Galleom is back

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I think it could depend on how much the game and DLC makes, If they think there is enough profit in it, DLC it may continue. If they don't think its worth it, they will focus the team on something else.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Do you guys think tabuu will appear in world of light I think its pretty likely since Gallium is back
Considering Galleom and Rayquaza (Seen in the far left at the end of the World of Light trailer). I think the SSE bosses will be returning except Petey Piranha and Ridley (Unless they replace him with the Ridley clone).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Honestly if Sakurai had gone to Square and asked for Geno do we really have any reason to believe if Square said no and offered another character like Sora or a DQ character that would benefit both companies more instead that Sakurai would say no to it?
We know that Sakurai has expressed interest in the character before but we don't know if his interest would stretch to a "Geno or nothing" attitude. He also works for a company and would want the deal to be something they can make a good profit from so it's more than possible for him to be open to other characters as well imo.
Think of it like this. Put aside chances of these characters for a hypothetical scenario. Say Sakurai's list of characters for dlc includes Sora, Master Chief, and Goku as shocking 3rd parties, Chorus Kids to represent a new Nintendo franchise, and Geno to appeal to the core fanbase. He goes to square and gets Sora, but they say no to Geno and suggest erdrick instead. Sakurai takes Sora and leaves because his second choice wasn't erdrick, it was banjo. Unless he just wanted to represent square enix, there's no reason to think the character they suggest is the next one he'd want to put in. It's not just about putting in whatever third parties he can get. I'm sure there are thousands of them he could get. The question is which ones he wants. And he wouldn't just decide on the spot to add a completely different square character just because they said no to Geno

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If we're getting a character from Dragon Quest, I really, really, really hope that it's Slime. They've given him some neat moves and properties in spin-offs over the series, and he is undoubtedly the mascot of the series. He is the single most important and recognizable character to Dragon Quest.

And most importantly, he'd be the most unique addition they could add from Dragon Quest. I'm afraid the other options wouldn't be interesting enough to have a good place in Smash. Plus, I also hate the idea of us say getting DQ 11's rep just because the game's release and making him another advertising character...

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Slime: "Do you think Yoshi and all his friends will goo easy on me? You don't think they'll juice me, do you?"
Awww, you can be in Smash any day, Slime.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I appreciate the sentiment. But what exactly is that supposed to mean? Things aren't looking grim for Geno and I'm not struggling to stand my ground. I'm left feeling like you said something nice, but confused as to what it actually was.
I mean that they look grim in the current speculation cycle since there are many people considering the character uncapable of joining. Its probably going to be a long way to go. The struggle will be harsh during this speculation cycle. (speaking from experience). I am sure Geno fans can endure it though (especially since they are probably the biggest fanbase right now that has the possibility of a character).

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Also I kinda hope Piranha Plant is the only generic enemy species we get because otherwise he wouldn't be that unique anymore

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I would actually love Slime. Him or Hero is fine. The absolute salt from Slime would be far greater than Piranha Plant.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Crowd Control would be overpowered in Smash in terms of concept since they usually have big hitboxes/knockback?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
We barely get any DQ games, asking for FS it is a little too much for SQE US
*sighs*

Yeah, I know.

"How can they do anything without limbs?"

See: Goomba in Super Mario Party.

Also, you should have said "I would like to plop this here!"

If you're going to shill Slime at least do it right!
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
It's only seven.
The number I cited is counting Echoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom