• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Last I checked in, Verg had revealed Katalina and Minecraft Steve were possible newcomers due to Senjowhatever_Goku having corroborating info on other matters, no Grinch leak explanations exist yet, and Papagenos had offered up Lloyd as a possibility. Anything new since then I might have missed? I haven't been watching the thread like a hawk since the direct.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Imram and ZHuge are saying that Nintendo has yet to start DLC plans for Ultimate. I trust ZHuge but none of this makes sense
Absolutely zero sense
Can you get me the sources here?

You're telling me they've yet to even start PLANNING that has a deadline of Feb 2020.
(not saying you are, its a rhetorical thing haha)

Last edited:

Xwing Infinity

Smash Rookie
I'm calling it now. IF there's an announcement at the VGAs, it's going to be a huge character.

My bet (in order of most to least likely): Sora, Geno, Master Chief, or Minecraft rep (I don't think he'll actually be called Steve if he gets in).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm calling it now. IF there's an announcement at the VGAs, it's going to be a huge character.

My bet (in order of most to least likely) is Sora, Geno, Master Chief, or Minecraft rep (I don't think he'll actually be called Steve if he gets in).
Banjo also fits being the timing would be perfect since its his 20th Anniversary.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

My bet (in order of most to least likely) is Sora, Geno, Master Chief, or Minecraft rep (I don't think he'll actually be called Steve if he gets in).
It'd definitely be some big third party character that is famous to the general gaming public and not just Nintendo fans.
It'd probably be Sora if I had to guess.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wouldn't it be such an "OH NINTENDO!" moment if whatever new Easter Egg they added like Codecs/Guidance actually are on-disc for the DLC?
Nintendo becomes EA confirmed

This was Sony' E3 keynote immediately after Sega's surprise $399 Saturn launch.
Bad*** Sony
And people would spoil it immediately.
Oh Nintendo, always getting something important leaked
Imram and ZHuge are saying that Nintendo has yet to start DLC plans for Ultimate. I trust ZHuge but none of this makes sense
Same thing happened with dlc last game, so this is definitely believable

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
It really shouldn't be this hard to get the story straight.

1) These aren't Vergeben's claims. He's distanced himself from them repeatedly by stating he's just passing along what he's heard from Hitagi (who he trusts, but I guess not to the extent he'll take get behind the claims himself). Why he thought people wouldn't get confused and misinterpret him is beyond me. It's like he's learned nothing.
2) Nobody has anything to report of this past Nintendo and Cygames being in the negotiation stage, which is a huge leap from these apocryphal claims now being circulated of Katalina being "all-but confirmed". C'mon you guys. Both Hitagi and Vergeben have said it's possible the negotiations fell through.

Vergeben shouldn't have said anything, because the Smash fanbase time and time again demonstrates how it's horrible at operating within the grey area. Might it come to fruition? Yes, but to think it's anywhere near being all-but confirmed is absurd.
I'm getting flashbacks to people claiming that he said there would be no new DK content when in reality he sent a PM to LoZ18 asking about something a single source told him, that LoZ then publicized without Verge's consent. Vergeben never even intended to make that claim public.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh? Do tell.
Basically, the entire SFII ost is in the game and each fight is one on one with characters to represent classic SF characters as their theme plays. The example given was Zero Suit Samus in Onett Omega as Chun-Li's music plays. If everyone's Classic is as beautifully themed as that, that's a big Melee wish put in the game. Love it.

D

Deleted member

It's fake, I found a google image search and found a twitter page that shows this exact image from a tweet posted in 2016

Anyways let's talk about the Blue Falcon again...

I thought that the emblems were new... but they weren't...

However...

There is something completely different about it that as far as I looked... I can never find anything prior to it.
View attachment 175717
View attachment 175720

The interiors are completely different.
Besides the ware and tear of the Blue Falcon and the hinges and rods holding the glass in place. Everything about this entire interior is different. Blue things on the sides, a COMPLETELY different Chair, and a small black box on the grey box. The grey box also has vent ports as well. So I wonder if this is another Smash redesign or if its actually a real hint at something bigger? I hope the latter
This is the thing that could hint towards a F-Zero reveal.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
According to PapaGenos in the latest video of his some of his sources are saying Lloyd is possibly in as well. Assuming these things are true,

Sora/Erdrick
Steve
Katalina
Lloyd
???????

How would this DLC line up look to you guys?
Lloyd seems like a likely pick anyways given his ballot presence and the Tales of series' popularity overseas (It's got a ****ing theme park attraction based on it). While Mystic was here there and everywhere in his claims, his claim that Lloyd was likely DLC is also worth noting.

Also, I'm sorry Papa, but I don't trust you when it comes to leaks. It's either a problem with your sources lying to you or passing off misinformation or a problem with your vetting process, as one of your sources was confident in the Grinch leak, which was proven fake.

Don't get me wrong, I like and respect PapaGenos as a fellow member of the Smash community, but I wouldn't heavily consider what he has to say in regards to sources and leaks until he gets a proven track record.

D

Deleted member

-Sakurai says DLC plans were already determined during the planning stages of the game in 2015/2016
-This guy says "lol jk they haven't yet"

I think I'll trust the words of the guy actually making the game.

Shroob

Sup?
This doesn't make any sense though. You're telling me we're apparently going to have a reveal at the VGAs, while NONE of the DLC has been planned yet?

*Cygames and Nintendo in talks suddenly makes a bit more sense*

Oh **** fellas.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
You know, I think Kid Icarus gets overlooked and underestimated to much.. Remember Pit was added in Brawl as retro revival character and yet Kid Icarus ends up being the most successful revival in Smash of all of them with its content.. Just needs its villain rep added.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
The only thing that confuses me in regards to Katalina is that of all the trend-breakers they could add, they go for a secondary character from an unassuming gacha simulator. You would think the discussion would be directed towards Gran and Djeeta, but no, it's Katalina apparently. That being said, she isn't confirmed yet, so she's up in the air like Steve is.

On the subject of "gacha" reps – and bear with me on this – you'd think that Type-Moon and Nasu would go to Sakurai first to advertise Arturia as a Fate rep (not for Fate/Grand Order necessarily, but for Fate as a whole) and vice versa. Keep in mind, every character in the game is an advertisement. This isn't a bad thing... Gateway Series exists for a reason, which is what Smash partially is, and it's thanks to Smash that people hear of characters they've never heard before.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know, I think gets overlooked and underestimated to much.. Remember Pit was added in Brawl as retro revival character and yet Kid Icarus ends up being the most successful revival in Smash of all of them with its content.. Just needs its villain rep added.
When Yoshi and F-Zero get its villain then we'll talk

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Whaaat? But Imran himself hinted about a Square-Enix rep and told us before the direct that we shouldn't expect any guess during it, but maybe later.
Tho Zhuge Saying this is big

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's possible that Sakurai has adopted a very strict "paid DLC will not be worked on until the game goes gold" stance. It's uncommon these days, but that sounds like a very Sakurai thing to do.

If it is true, good on him and Nintendo for allowing it. That's admirable.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This doesn't make any sense though. You're telling me we're apparently going to have a reveal at the VGAs, while NONE of the DLC has been planned yet?

*Cygames and Nintendo in talks suddenly makes a bit more sense*

Oh **** fellas.
That's a pick and choose thing imo

Hitagi is certain Steve's in as DLC from what I get and he's why we believe Katalina even exists.

It's possible that Sakurai has adopted a very strict "paid DLC will not be worked on until the game goes gold" stance. It's uncommon these days, but that sounds like a very Sakurai thing to do.

If it is true, good on him and Nintendo for allowing it. That's admirable.
Thing is
He's already started on the Plant

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There's also a rumor that was shared with us in the Geno thread and the person seems credible based on posts I've read there; basically someone heard Geno would be DLC but it's water-cooler gossip, however the other rumors he heard from the same people have come true.
Ah yes, the good old, "my friend works at Nintendo" story.

I hate to say it, but 9 out of 10 times that means it's fake.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The only thing that confuses me in regards to Katalina is that of all the trend-breakers they could add, they go for a secondary character from an unassuming gacha simulator. You would think the discussion would be directed towards Gran and Djeeta, but no, it's Katalina apparently. That being said, she isn't confirmed yet, so she's up in the air like Steve is.

On the subject of "gacha" reps – and bear with me on this – you'd think that Type-Moon and Nasu would go to Sakurai first to advertise Arturia as a Fate rep (not for Fate/Grand Order necessarily, but for Fate as a whole) and vice versa. Keep in mind, every character in the game is an advertisement. This isn't a bad thing... Gateway Series exists for a reason, which is what Smash partially is, and it's thanks to Smash that people hear of characters they've never heard before.
PFFFFFFFFF.

Fate collabs with its ****ing self in its own game. Fate is too damn afraid of leaving its own bubble to ever branch out into other things.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I honestly can't believe that in any way. Considering the time it takes to make a character the DLC season would go way over the little over a year they promised. Plus they already know how many they are making, which generally tmk in development the character's slot and who is in that slot are chosen at the same time.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
The first one, or I wouldn't allow it
I like black Steve better.

-Sakurai says DLC plans were already determined during the planning stages of the game in 2015/2016

Marina would be awesome in this game.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Both of those guys are pretty trustworthy, so I wonder what the hell is going on. I guess they could still announce a character at the VGA's without showing gameplay, but that would be kinda weird. But hey, they did it with Mewtwo so.

If the VGA thing doesn't happen then I'd guess we'd get a DLC reveal around Piranha Plant's release, so late January - early February.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
PFFFFFFFFF.

Fate collabs with its ****ing self in its own game. Fate is too damn afraid of leaving its own bubble to ever branch out into other things.
Please explain immediately, what

StormC

Smash Hero
My gut tells me Nintendo already negotiated for the necessary characters and penciled them in for a Smash DLC schedule.

That’s it. No actual conceptual development or 3D rendering until the game goes gold. (Unless it already has.)

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
According to PapaGenos in the latest video of his some of his sources are saying Lloyd is possibly in as well. Assuming these things are true,

Sora/Erdrick
Steve
Katalina
Lloyd
???????

How would this DLC line up look to you guys?
Shouldn't Banjo be in the list since his source said that Banjo is in.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I don't know/care who ZHuge is, but perhaps he meant that they hadn't initiated their plans yet.

It's totally possible to make a plan but not work on said plan yet. I plan on taking care of the weeds in my front yard with the weed killer I bought two weeks ago still sitting in my garage. But. Y'know.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
My gut tells me Nintendo already negotiated for the necessary characters and penciled them in for a Smash DLC schedule.

That’s it. No actual conceptual development or 3D rendering until the game goes gold. (Unless it already has.)
That's what I think too, but there's really no way to know.
If I had to guess, they already have the 5 characters picked and all of the legal stuff out of the way. I just doubt any real work has started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom