• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Okay, I have a few things to say:
First: @Nekoo : You've inspired me, kind of. I'm currently working on drawing every Smash character. I'm not nearly as good as you, but I might post them somewhere eventually.
Second: I rated the newcomers and returning veterans in the order of how excited I am for them: :ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultsimon::ultpokemontrainer::ultwolf::ultken::ultdaisy::ultsnake::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultridley::ultchrom::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultyounglink:
And third... well, I have a question: does anyone here hate me? Be honest, I know I can be annoying sometimes... :urg:
I mean the Littlest Pet Shop fanboyish stuff is a bit icky at times but you're good fam

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
We all can debate on what character, if any, will be revealed at the game awards. But what TYPE of character do you think it'll be? I think it'll be a high profile third party tbh
Oh yeah, definitely... It would be kinda dumb to announce a character at this event, only for it to be something like Happy Mask Salesman
Interesting new detail found!!

Sonic now takes damage when swimming in water.

That's a reference to his original game, where he couldn't swim.
Which doesn't make sense at all because real life hedgehogs are actually pretty good swimmers...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Okay, I have a few things to say:
First: @Nekoo : You've inspired me, kind of. I'm currently working on drawing every Smash character. I'm not nearly as good as you, but I might post them somewhere eventually.
Second: I rated the newcomers and returning veterans in the order of how excited I am for them: :ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultsimon::ultpokemontrainer::ultwolf::ultken::ultdaisy::ultsnake::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultridley::ultchrom::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultyounglink:
And third... well, I have a question: does anyone here hate me? Be honest, I know I can be annoying sometimes... :urg:
If you decide to do those drawings, you can post them here:

https://smashboards.com/forums/artwork-emporium.15/

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
If Granblue's Katalina does indeed get in here, that would be the second time Sakurai breaks the "global appeal only!" rule, which could give Goemon some leeway.

Also, why Konami eventually stopped having other people do Metal Gear spin-offs before Survive is beyond me.
However it happens, just give me my Goemon.

I think Konami is Xing MG, it's time for other IPS to shine. They've been trapped in pachislot for a while now, It's MG time :)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
...It's a ****ing Pokemon though. :nervous:
There's R34 for almost every single anthropomorphic pokemon...
I had quite the misfortune to accidentally stumble upon some Incineroar ones while on Twitter during Smash Ultimate speculation...
Some things that I wish that I could unsee...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As a furry who has seen some **** I can confirm this.
Smash-Related Edit: Now that Shovel Knight and (maybe?) Shantae have been deconfirmed, I hope Gunvolt is the first Indie rep.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hate when this thread derails into sexualized talk.

Has nothing to do with the topic.

I wanna read about rumors and speculation not about users fetishes.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Very belated and general thoughts:

The Direct was more or less exactly what I expected in terms of content focus. Expectations were very much met, in general. Incineroar looks fun enough (and design-wise, the materials, poses, and attitude are great). Classic Mode looks better than ever, All-Star turned into what it was basically inevitably going to end up as, trophies were unsurprisingly cut after being MIA up to now.

Still not sold on Spirits as a catch-all collectible replacement (the Attack-Defense-Grab triangle seems even questionaby balanced than 4’s), but they seem to lead into a further extension of Event matches in referencing specific fights or characters from source games, which’s kind of cool. Very glad that music can be bought from the shop, rather than being mostly locked behind item farming or Crazy Orders.

World of Light opening cutscene looked great; cool to see all the references (and nonlinearity?) in the world map, and glad to see some SSE bosses back. Only major disappointment with the game, and this extends to the other modes as well, is the lack of a space with strictly alternative mechanics (such as Break the Targets, Smash Run, SSE’s platforming sections) to get familiar with characters’ movesets and movement in a safer space.

DLC including new stages and music is great regardless of who ends up making it, and I don't intend to stick around speculating judging from the previous month (and 4 DLC period); I’m glad the cap on the price is much more reasonable than 4’s, in any case. Piranha Plant is the best character I never knew I wanted (complete with a billion references to its various ilk, including a TTYD reference in its special).

Also, from the tournament footage, I’m excited about the variety of ‘neutral’ layouts in the hazardless stages, and stoked that Ness has a better victory theme than Brawl’s now!

All in all, I think Ultimate’s a great package; even if it lacks some of the killer single-player features from previous installments, the stage and character rosters are top-notch, and that’s clearly where the focus was. Still hoping for Geno and Dee for postgame additions, but it’s honestly kind of nice not knowing (in my opinion) any obvious frontrunners left on the table.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Oh, right.... Smash Bros....

So...
Who's looking to be the most improved from Smash 4?

I've been hearing some really good things about :ultjigglypuff:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Does anyone else sometimes daydream of the Grinch fake roster?

Like yesterday I had a dream where the other Shadow and Isaac (and Skull kid) would get upgraded from ATs to playable towards the end of WoL and Geno, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider and Banjo were secret characters that were difficult to obtain like Game+Watch/Mewtwo were in Melee.

I love Smash Ultimate and it's roster and I'm thoroughly satisfied with its content (like seriously, we get 80 solid characters after DLC in the least), but sometimes I just wonder about the games overall wackiness and variety would have exploded if those characters also made it in lol. Like imagine the feeling of unlocking Banjo and Kazooie....god

Sorry for the depression talk.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, right.... Smash Bros....

So...
Who's looking to be the most improved from Smash 4?

I've been hearing some really good things about :ultjigglypuff:
Shulk can change his monado art even when he's mid-air or taking knockback

Imagine trying to upair this boy to the top of the blast zone and he switches to shield before you can its gonna be so sickkkk

Also his nair is faster and its my favorite part of his kit so I'm looking forwards to that as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Like yesterday I had a dream where the other Shadow and Isaac (and Skull kid) would get upgraded from ATs to playable towards the end of WoL and Geno, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider and Banjo were secret characters that were difficult to obtain like Game+Watch/Mewtwo were in Melee.

I love Smash Ultimate and it's roster and I'm thoroughly satisfied with its content (like seriously, we get 80 solid characters after DLC in the least), but sometimes I just wonder about the games overall wackiness and variety would have exploded if those characters also made it in lol.

This is why I hated the Grinch leak... It overloaded expectations...
It also showed that anyone can make a convincing leak even if it turns out to be fake...

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
I would be no wondered, when the first DLC fighter reveal would happend in a Direct where PiranhaPlant is introduced in detail before Release from fighter and amiibo. And than Sakurai let us think about this fighter until release and hint of the next DLC fighter.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I love Smash Ultimate and it's roster and I'm thoroughly satisfied with its content (like seriously, we get 80 solid characters after DLC in the least), but sometimes I just wonder about the games overall wackiness and variety would have exploded if those characters also made it in lol. Like imagine the feeling of unlocking Banjo and Kazooie....god

This is why I have my motto...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I would be no wondered, when the first DLC fighter reveal would happend in a Direct where PiranhaPlant is introduced in detail before Release from fighter and amiibo. And than Sakurai let us think about this fighter until release and hint of the next DLC fighter.
Sakurai shared his sentiments about paying for a DLC pass without knowing it's contents. He basically said he gets why people would hesitate but expects certain fans will trust them.

He also said they werent ready to show the DLC characters just yet.

I imagine once he has the models done we might get a Mewtwo like preview as an incentive to purchse the DLC pass.

Although it's much more likely we'll have to wait until he has reveal trailers complete for them. If Smash 4 is anything to go by, DLC trailers are usually lower budget and less resources... So maybe we'll see something at the VGA's or a Nintendo General Direct (rumoured to be later this month).

D

Deleted member

I guess the only leaks to be coming now will be those concerning DLC, but its probably too soon to really have anything legitimate. The day of the release is the day of VGA, yeah? Like the rest of the waits we've had to endure (aside from October), I guess it'll be about a month till we learn anything.

As far as the Piranha Plant goes, was that DLC to be ready immediately or is that one still aways off after release as well?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
This is why I hated the Grinch leak... It overloaded expectations...
It also showed that anyone can make a convincing leak even if it turns out to be fake...
I definitely went in expecting Incineroar the night before and honestly im super happy with the game.
My two main things were no cuts from 4 and more heavy characters (preferably villains).

Not only did they not cut characters, they BROUGHT BACK everyone, especially Snake, which is absolutely nuts. Then they go an add the 2 biggest villains behind Bowser, in addition to adding more heavies to a game that vastly needed them.

I'm more than satisfied. Really the only other things I could have wanted were Isaac and Banjo, due to growing up with their games. But yeah, the idea of that leak definitely did get into my head, and honestly it probably will never leave it until a few of those characters make it in.

At least Geno and Banjo still have chances to make the roster. The rest were either killed via AT, or their obscurity will prevent them from being DLC (part of Geno's problem, but I think Sakurai bias can help here). If those 2 make it in, I'll consider the Grinch leak absolved of its ****ery lol.

Keyblader_Of_Smash

Smash Cadet
So to talk about DLC more, I thought about something. The pricing for the DLC in Smash 4, specifically the price difference between 1st Party Characters and 3rd Party Characters. Keep in mind this is not counting the combo packs that would net you the character for both Wii U and 3DS.

So the DLC pricing goes all over the place for Sm4sh. The returning Vets were $3.99. Corrin, being the only 1st party newcomer via DLC, was $4.99. However all the 3rd Party Characters, (Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta) all cost $5.99, and that included the character and their respective stages & music, which is how SmUsh is selling it's DLC packs. Now this isn't anything super big obviously but I think it lends credence to the idea that all of our DLC characters will be 3rd party characters.

What do you guys think?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I definitely went in expecting Incineroar the night before and honestly im super happy with the game.
My two main things were no cuts from 4 and more heavy characters (preferably villains).

Not only did they not cut characters, they BROUGHT BACK everyone, especially Snake, which is absolutely nuts. Then they go an add the 2 biggest villains behind Bowser, in addition to adding more heavies to a game that vastly needed them.

I'm more than satisfied. Really the only other things I could have wanted were Isaac and Banjo, due to growing up with their games. But yeah, the idea of that leak definitely did get into my head, and honestly it probably will never leave it until a few of those characters make it in.

At least Geno and Banjo still have chances to make the roster. The rest were either killed via AT, or their obscurity will prevent them from being DLC (part of Geno's problem, but I think Sakurai bias can help here). If those 2 make it in, I'll consider the Grinch leak absolved of its ****ery lol.
Yeah I was fine with the final direct, that being said, most people weren't as satisfied

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Um....

Should I tell him?
Don't worry I am on internet since the late 990's I've seen enough to know what's up, I'm not green lol

And one day and exactly one month before the 10th anniversary of the Wombo Combo

If you're referring to her Pokedex entry from Sun...
What's the pokedex said about the power level of this Pokemon ?

*Nervous laughter* what the ****
...It's a ****ing Pokemon though. :nervous:
Oh so green so innocent of Internet it's cute ♥

Trust me... you don't know the Pokemon fanbase...
The less we talk about Gardevoir, the better

They do that a lot in most Pokemon media...
Not only Gardevoir there is also this rabbit pokemon that's seems noice.

I had quite the misfortune to accidentally stumble upon some Incineroar ones while on Twitter during Smash Ultimate speculation...
Some things that I wish that I could unsee...
Scary place that is internet isn't it ?

Well wanted just to reply to those comments now yes back to topic.

I'm remain certain that given either Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 we will have one of the 5 DLC related to either one of those games.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I guess the only leaks to be coming now will be those concerning DLC, but its probably too soon to really have anything legitimate. The day of the release is the day of VGA, yeah? Like the rest of the waits we've had to endure (aside from October), I guess it'll be about a month till we learn anything.

As far as the Piranha Plant goes, was that DLC to be ready immediately or is that one still aways off after release as well?
Comes out February.

And yeah, I honestly don't really see leaks happening unless Nintendo somehow slips and we find character data already in the base game somehow. The only reason we found out about Roy and Ryu was because they messed up. The other characters were complete surprises.

D

Deleted member

Comes out February.

And yeah, I honestly don't really see leaks happening unless Nintendo somehow slips and we find character data already in the base game somehow. The only reason we found out about Roy and Ryu was because they messed up. The other characters were complete surprises.
Funny enough, after checking forums and everything, it seems like I was the only one surprised by Ryu lol. I had been around for speculation of the base game, but once it released, I stopped checking for stuff, so every DLC release was a complete surprise. I also seemed to be one of about five people who were happy with Corrin. Not that I knew the character, but they seemed super interesting to play as.

D

Deleted member

I also seemed to be one of about five people who were happy with Corrin. Not that I knew the character, but they seemed super interesting to play as.
Are you kidding?! I was so happy with Corrin! I've never played a single FE game (Warriors doesn't count, does it, FE Fans?), but Corrin really seemed to break the mold of the swordfighters from that series, and unlike Robin, did it in a way I actually liked and could enjoy playing as.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Main DLC predictions:
> Geno
> Banjo-Kazooie
> Elma
> Lloyd Irving
> Rayman
Cool mine DLC prediction is:

Elma
Shantae
Sora
Fjorm
Rayman

Who I want for DLC same list with Amaterasu being either or along side Rayman.
So... what are everyone's overall final thoughts on the base roster?
And yes, Base... Not DLC
So no Piranha Plant

Here's mine

:ultinkling: Looks fun and unique... 9/10
:ultdaisy:Her inclusion still surprises me 8/10
:ultridley: Happy for his fans, but meh... 5/10
:ultsimon: By the power of Vampire Killer 9/10
:ultrichter: "What is an echo? A fun little extra character" 9/10
:ultchrom: You should have been in Smash 4 in the first place... 7/10
:ultdarksamus: It's Samus... but dark... 6/10
:ultkrool: Eh... Never really cared 3/10
:ultisabelle: Having played Villager in Smash 4, she looks like a fun twist on his play style 9/10
Easily looks like the most fun echo... 10/10
Oh, baby, a newcomer that actually calls to me. Definitely helps that Litten was my starter in Sun and Moon 10/10

Overall 8/10
Additions like Inkling, Incineroar, Isabelle, and the Belmonts look super fun, while most of the others are mixed...
Overall, pretty great...

As for Piranha Plant, He's a 9/10
:ultinkling:- Expected, but nonetheless accepted 9/10
:ultdaisy:- Gives me more incentive to destroy my friend who mains Peach 9/10
:ultchrom: Being mostly a Roy echo, instead of mostly being an Ike echo saved him from having an extremely low score 9/10
:ultdarksamus:- Don't really use Samus, but she does look cool 7/10
:ultisabelle:- Highly wanted character. I mean who wouldn't want such as a precious Cinnamon Roll? (Let me know who they are I have an extra straitjacket for the Lunatic) 10/10
:ultken:- I don't really mess with Ryu much, but having Ken be a faster Ryu give me more incentive to play as him 8/10
:ultridley:\
:ultsimon: \
:ultrichter: -- > Sorry, no Interest really in characters that are slow, heavyweights, and/or have low mobility 0/10.
:ultkrool: /
:ultincineroar:/
But if I was forced to chose 3 out of the 5 characters to use, I'd chose :ultridley:,:ultrichter:, and:ultincineroar:.
Overall 7/10.
So um, what did Sakurai need this for then?

Any guesses?
I say it's for Elma (hopefully) when her DLC comes out. It would make sense for Sakurai to have model to base the Skells movement off of.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Got quite a few topics I wanna comment on so I'll just make a few posts about them rather than make one long wall of text.

Was gonna ask what Galeem is but a quick check of Smash wiki shows it's the winged thing from the World of Light cutscene. I kept thinking people were misspelling Galleom's name. Where was the name Galeem confirmed? I don't recall seeing it in the direct.

With the hazardless toggle on stages, I'm curious how traveling stages will work with it, most notably Halberd. It starts off in the launch area and never goes back but as has been shown with Frigate Orpheon, stages don't change forms when hazardless. If Halberd works this way, it would probably be the most drastic change between hazards on and off.

People have mentioned Link being able to pick up his arrows and throw them like items, is there any video proof of this? I'm also wondering if they have a hurtbox when stuck in the ground like they did in Melee. If they do, they'd be able to absorb projectiles and extend hitbox duration.

Do we have any footage of Meta Knight's bright pink outfit? I'm curious if they gave it gradient wings from yellow to pink like it was in Brawl or if they kept it solid pink like it was in 4. It was my favourite outfit for him back in Brawl thanks to those wings but I didn't like it after they made the wings a solid colour.

Will leave the rest for another post or 2~

Untouch

Smash Master
Got quite a few topics I wanna comment on so I'll just make a few posts about them rather than make one long wall of text.

Was gonna ask what Galeem is but a quick check of Smash wiki shows it's the winged thing from the World of Light cutscene. I kept thinking people were misspelling Galleom's name. Where was the name Galeem confirmed? I don't recall seeing it in the direct.

With the hazardless toggle on stages, I'm curious how traveling stages will work with it, most notably Halberd. It starts off in the launch area and never goes back but as has been shown with Frigate Orpheon, stages don't change forms when hazardless. If Halberd works this way, it would probably be the most drastic change between hazards on and off.

People have mentioned Link being able to pick up his arrows and throw them like items, is there any video proof of this? I'm also wondering if they have a hurtbox when stuck in the ground like they did in Melee. If they do, they'd be able to absorb projectiles and extend hitbox duration.

Do we have any footage of Meta Knight's bright pink outfit? I'm curious if they gave it gradient wings from yellow to pink like it was in Brawl or if they kept it solid pink like it was in 4. It was my favourite outfit for him back in Brawl thanks to those wings but I didn't like it after they made the wings a solid colour.

Will leave the rest for another post or 2~
We have a lot of the stages so far, there isn't really a consistent answer to what Hazard Toggle does.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9u2zio/compilation_of_information_about_hazardless/

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Interesting new detail found!!

Sonic now takes damage when swimming in water.

Sonic keeps on gettting some good treatment

Ignore it then...ain’t hard to do such a thing
Can we also appreciate that these two are both newcomers in the same Smash game?

Isabelle is the one blonde person Ridley won’t kill

KingBroly

Smash Lord
My DLC Predictions:
- Creeper (Minecraft)
- Geno
- Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes)
- Tails
- King Boo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom