• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Figured I'd jump in on the opinions of the newcomers. From most liked to least:
:ultisabelle: I always found her adorable but seeing from her reveal trailer and her little 20 second video on the main site, I was skeptical about her playstyle since I can't stand Villagers but after seeing a showcase of her moves, I absolutely love her. That Gyroid mine is gonna give her so much stage control <3 kinda like Pac-Man's trampoline or Villager's custom sapling that caused tripping. She'll be able to camp behind it with her fair and bair and can reel people in with her fishing rod. Plus it'll be great for ledge pressure since she can then add dash attack for off stage pressure. I also like that her uair and dair are consistent and not randomized like Villager's
:ultridley: = :ultchrom: I like Ridley and Chrom equally but for different reasons. I've been a casual supporter for Ridley ever since I heard people wanted him back in the Brawl days. His design is cool as are his boss fights in the Metroid games and he has one of, if not, the longest support history of any character currently in Smash. Megaman might have him beat since I believe he placed well in a Japanese poll along with Sonic some time after Melee came out? As for Chrom, Roy is one of my favourite characters to use in Sm4sh and Chrom is just a variation of Roy. I'm both looking forward to and not looking forward to the balanced blade. Less potential comboability and kill power but more consistent damage and shield pressure. Plus Aether is a trash recovery unless he can ledge snap.
:ultkrool: Was never a big supporter for him but he's cool looking and goofy too.
:ultdarksamus: I don't mind Samus in Sm4sh so I might use Damus casually plus she looks cool.
:ultpiranha: ****ing stupid and ridiculous and I love it. I'd probably be singing a different tune if I didn't get Wolf back or if I wanted some character that wasn't in but I'm satisifed.
:ultsimon: = :ultrichter: Can't give much of an opinion on their playstyle until the game comes out and I never grew up with Castlevania, having only played and not even finished SotN but I'm happy for their inclusion just for the music alone.
:ultdaisy: Included her last on this list as I genuinely forgot she was even in. Don't care for her or for Peach's playstyle but she's up this high purely because my best bud had Peach as a secondary in both Brawl and Sm4sh so I like that she's in for giving him some extra variety.
:ultinkling: Don't care for how they look, or their music and their playstyle doesn't look interesting but I'm willing to give them a try. Never played Splatoon although I might get Splatoon 2 for Christmas.
:ultken: Could never get into Ryu in Sm4sh so I doubt I'll get into Ken but he's fine.
:ultincineroar: You could replace him with any gen 7 Pokemon and I'd still put them at the bottom. I don't like how shoehorned in a good amount of the Pokemon feel. Like, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Greninja, Incineroar and possibly even Lucario aren't in due to popularity and demand. 2 of them are in just to pad out the rosters of 64 and Melee and the others are just their for game advertising. Sure they happen to be popular but Smash makes characters popular as shown with Roy and they're frickin' Pokemon, the best selling media in the world. Damn near any of them would be popular inclusions.
That sure is a lot of conjecture on that last one. I could easily say Chrom was shoehorned in, true or false.

D

Deleted member

There are a lot of characters I'm looking forward to now. I was satisfied with the roster when K Rool is released, so I'll definitely use him, but I've enjoyed a character that can 'change it up' so to speak. Playing against friends, I was the only one able to really do well with Bowser Jr (Morton, specifically) to the point of being able to beat my friend who actually competes in tournaments. I'll miss the custom moves though; I liked switching it up with the up special for Bowser Jr that just rocketed his clown car down since the faster eject made it harder to avoid. the larger, slower toy was fun to pick up and throw too. I normally just used the base moveset though since avoiding me and a tiny exploding toy and a cannonball simultaneously made things difficult for them lol.

I feel like for this game, Simon/Richter will be that new character for me. They seem to have a lot of varied attacks that can be used. Either him or it'll be time to return to Pichu. With the buffs given to Pichu, there's finally a reason to use him other than trolling. Doing more damage (at the cost of self-harm) is the perfect gimmick to differentiate him from Pikachu so now I can have fun as a tiny character sprinting around and being hard to hit due to size.

Though I am happy Incineroar made it in, I can't make a full judgement on him until I use him/try him out. It was stated he has the slowest walking speed of any character, and then further explained that he's a better character for letting people coming to you rather than pursuing. That probably makes him a poor 1v1 character unless you can somehow bait them. It'll be really hard to see until more footage is shown or I can actually try him out myself.

K. Rool, who I was hoping for, looks...ridiculous. He's huge and has a counter for some reason (guess they couldn't think of another move), so in addition to being bulky, he's able to survive longer on the condition of good predictions. And from what I saw, his blunderbuss can actually suck up some characters. In one of the trailers, he shot a cannonball, then sucked up Kirby before firing Kirby off and hitting...whoever else was involved (don't remember fully). He looks strong and his gator run is ridiculous; I can't wait to try him out and will be super disappointed if I cant get him to work for me lol. Mega Man looked awesome and I was eager to play him, but his playstyle ended up being one that didn't mesh with my own; I'm hoping K Rool doesnt become the same for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
As for me, I'll give more specific thoughts later, but despite them being fewer, I like this group of newcomers better than what base sm4sh had.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Doc does have some different moves to both Mario and Luigi, so he kinda can’t be an echo

well oofzers
I take it you mean his dair? Unless he has more unique moves I'm unaware of. Regardless, Chrom doesn't have Roy's up special though it's clearly still borrowed from another character, in this case Ike. But then there's Ken as well who has some unique moves despite being an echo. His down special is a kick although you could argue it's still the same move since it's still just Focus Attack. I've heard that his fsmash is different but haven't seen it for myself and I know he has some unique kick attack that I'm guessing is either is light or heavy jab, light or heavy utilt or light or heavy ftilt. Around here in the direct
He has a really high kick that isn't like anything Ryu has. Looks similar in function to Sheik's utilt honestly with the upward kick followed by a downward one.

Pakky

Smash Hero

https://gbf.wiki/Katalina_(Grand)

What I have learned.

"Oi mate like what if :ultlucina: was like in proper armor but was also a :ultgreninja: but with swords of water? "

I'm down also she's pretty...

Also she has the same taste in armor as :ultkrool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am excited to try every newcomer, and play with my friends the game.

Also, i find the idea of getting both Banjo and Steve as fighters coherent and great.

Microsoft would have two playable franchises like the other third parties (except Namco), and i would get fantastic stages with both.

Seriously, the idea of a Minecraft stage is something that i genuely wish to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Well, seems that everybody is giving their opinion about the newcomers:

-:ultkrool: About time for him, we needed more villains and im happy for y'all that wanted him in Smash. But I think im not using him 'cause Im not too fan of using big and heavy guys, the same goes for :ultridley:

-:ultsimon: , :ultrichter: I didnt played that much Castlevania but still, lookin forward for both of them. their moveset looks really cool and they look badass. And Dracula's Castle looks insane! I think that they are going to be in my list of fav chars in Smash.

-:ultdarksamus: Looks cool. I dont use Samus, tho.

:ultisabelle: How cute! why they added her to the roster? :( she's a cinnamon roll, heck, in Spanish her name is Canelita (little cinnamon), she's too cute for the cruel world of Smash. I like her and my gf loved her inclusion

-Ken: The original echo character of the fighting games. Makes sense for him to be here.

-:ultinkling: At first I was meh, but they grow on me and well, they deserve their spot in Smash. Maybe I will use the Inkling boy.

-:ultdaisy: meh, I prefer the piranha plant over her, and that's saying a lot

-Incineroar: Used to be a big fan of Pokemon, but I didnt really liked Sun and Moon... i found it boring, so... meh for incineroar.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I take it you mean his dair? Unless he has more unique moves I'm unaware of. Regardless, Chrom doesn't have Roy's up special though it's clearly still borrowed from another character, in this case Ike. But then there's Ken as well who has some unique moves despite being an echo. His down special is a kick although you could argue it's still the same move since it's still just Focus Attack. I've heard that his fsmash is different but haven't seen it for myself and I know he has some unique kick attack that I'm guessing is either is light or heavy jab, light or heavy utilt or light or heavy ftilt. Around here in the direct
He has a really high kick that isn't like anything Ryu has. Looks similar in function to Sheik's utilt honestly with the upward kick followed by a downward one.
I was gonna say his dair and weight/speed, but he also has a new back throw apparently (you got some valid points though)

D

Deleted member

Well, seems that everybody is giving their opinion about the newcomers:

-:ultkrool: About time for him, we needed more villains and im happy for y'all that wanted him in Smash. But I think im not using him 'cause Im not too fan of using big and heavy guys, the same goes for :ultridley:

-:ultsimon: , :ultrichter: I didnt played that much Castlevania but still, lookin forward for both of them. their moveset looks really cool and they look badass. And Dracula's Castle looks insane! I think that they are going to be in my list of fav chars in Smash.

-:ultdarksamus: Looks cool. I dont use Samus, tho.

:ultisabelle: How cute! why they added her to the roster? :( she's a cinnamon roll, heck, in Spanish her name is Canelita (little cinnamon), she's too cute for the cruel world of Smash. I like her and my gf loved her inclusion

-Ken: The original echo character of the fighting games. Makes sense for him to be here.

-:ultinkling: At first I was meh, but they grow on me and well, they deserve their spot in Smash. Maybe I will use the Inkling boy.

-:ultdaisy: meh, I prefer the piranha plant over her, and that's saying a lot

-Incineroar: Used to be a big fan of Pokemon, but I didnt really liked Sun and Moon... i found it boring, so... meh for incineroar.
Wait a minute.

In Spain Isabelle is called Canela.

Not Canelita.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
That sure is a lot of conjecture on that last one. I could easily say Chrom was shoehorned in, true or false.
Chrom's game was out by the time he was picked for Ultimate and I'm sure the ballot likely helped get him in. Although admittedly, a quick check of dates shows that Sm4sh production started in October 2011 while Awakening didn't come out until April of 2012. In this case, I'd say Lucina and Robin were more shoehorned in than Chrom since they actually made it into Sm4sh as playable characters. Wouldn't even be surprised if they were planned before Awakening came out seeing as how Corrin, Greninja and Bayo were added for similar reasons. And even Roy and Lucas back in Melee and Brawl. Regardless, the post you replied to was me bickering specifically about the Pokemon reps where we got 2 because they could be based on other characters and helped pad the roster out rather than actual popularity and while I'm not sure with Lucario, I know Greninja started off as just a slot for a gen 6 Pokemon until Sakurai saw concept art and picked Greninja. I can imagine Incineroar was similar.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Figured I'd jump in on the opinions of the newcomers. From most liked to least:
:ultincineroar: You could replace him with any gen 7 Pokemon and I'd still put them at the bottom. I don't like how shoehorned in a good amount of the Pokemon feel. Like, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Greninja, Incineroar and possibly even Lucario aren't in due to popularity and demand. 2 of them are in just to pad out the rosters of 64 and Melee and the others are just their for game advertising. Sure they happen to be popular but Smash makes characters popular as shown with Roy and they're frickin' Pokemon, the best selling media in the world. Damn near any of them would be popular inclusions.
You're really downplaying Pokemon representation in Smash
Most of the Pokemon are in due to their relevance in the anime at the time of each Smash game's conception/release
:ultpikachu: The mascot of the series and the main Pokemon of the Anime
:ultjigglypuff: Was a popular gag character in the anime
:ultmewtwo: Was the villain of the first Pokemon movie
:ultpichu:had a major role in a short released in front of the third Pokemon movie
:ultlucario:was the main character of the eighth Pokemon Movie
:ultgreninja: Was Ash's main Pokemon in the XY arc of the anime
:ultincineroar: Ash has a Torracat who's probably going to evolve into Incineroar by the end of the Sun Moon arc of the anime

The only exception to this rule seems to be :ultpokemontrainer:, as he represents the main aspect of Pokemon... That being said, :squirtle: and :charizard: Were pretty prominent Pokemon in the anime

Pokemon is huge, It makes sense to have a new one added in every game...

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Really wish :ultchrom: would've been better. I like Roy in Sm4sh because of his movement but he was overall pretty flawed. I was excited for Chrom because I thought he could improve on what was wrong with Roy but it seems he's just worse.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I was gonna say his dair and weight/speed, but he also has a new back throw apparently (you got some valid points though)
I was unaware of the back throw change! Got a link to a video of it by any chance? Regardless, Ken also has a different back throw from Ryu although only the rolling part seems unique. And do we know if Doc for certain has a different weight? His weight is the same as Mario's in both Melee and Sm4sh. His run speed, walk speed, air acceleration and air speed are different from Mario in Sm4sh. Ken also has faster ground movement than Ryu.

D

Deleted member

Most of the Pokemon are in due to their relevance in the anime at the time of each Smash game's conception/release
:ultpichu:had a major role in a short released in front of the third Pokemon movie
:ultincineroar: Ash has a Torracat who's probably going to evolve into Incineroar by the end of the Sun Moon arc of the anime

The only exception to this rule seems to be :ultpokemontrainer:, as he represents the main aspect of Pokemon... That being said, :squirtle: and :charizard: Were pretty prominent Pokemon in the anime
My friend who is a fan of Pokémon wants to see his favourite one in Smash any day (The Pokémon being Gengar).

He believes that a ghost type Pokémon could diverse the elemental types present in Smash, and Gengar has enough popularity to get a spot.

If i have to be honest, those points make sense. But we will have to wait and see if he/she can join.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'd rank my feels for Ultimate newcomers but really I don't care for any of them except the absolute last one we saw. I suppose :ultinkling: is an exception, I enjoy their inclusion well enough.

Nothing new from Fire Emblem, nothing from Xenoblade, nothing from Zelda, no Geno or Paper Mario. No surprise Megaten addition.

My anticipation for the game came solely from the idea of having Smash on the Switch, with everyone back, and updated. Really that's still the main draw for me by far.
The reveals were only exciting to bear witness to because they went all out with the trailers, and some of them like :ultridley: and :ultkrool: were big crowd pleasers, so even if I had no particular feelings for them, it was enjoyable to see the reactions of others getting what they wanted.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, can I do the "what are your thoughts on each character" game too?

Overall, I'm really happy with this crop of newcomers. Unlike Sm4sh where the best for me was "oh, cool" at most, here the worst for me is an echo I'm indifferent to. This is looking great so far.

#12: :ultdarksamus:3.5/10. As I said, my least favorite character is an echo I'm pretty indifferent to. I'm no fan of Samus' moveset, so another Samus is pretty unnecessary to me, but she does look cool. Still, there's another character from Metroid who's way better...
#11::ultken: 4/10. Another echo that doesn't do much for me. Outside of Smash, I mostly play Soul Calibur as my fighting game of choice, so I'm not big on Street Fighter (but you can't deny its importance). I played Ryu a bit, so I'll probably play a bit of Ken too, but there's nothing too interesting here.
#10::ultinkling: 5/10. Everyone saw this coming a mile away. I've never played Splatoon, but they have been everywhere so it is fun to see them. I'm thinking that the ink mechanic will be tough to work with though. I've got a major problem in Smash in that I favor offense over defense so I forget to shield a lot, so a shield mechanic is gonna take getting used to.
#9::ultpiranha: 5/10. Absolutely ridiculous. This is so absurd that I can't even be mad about it. PP isn't the first Mario enemy I'd put in (that would be Hammer Bro), but I laughed and I'm excited to get it in the game. Wouldn't pay money for this though. And I'd laugh my *** off if this thing ended up the MK/Bayo level beast that made every competitive match into a mirror.
#8::ultrichter: 6/10. He looks good, I'll give you that. I don't really know the Castlevania franchise, but Richter definitely looks cool. I'm very interested to see how he ends up playing.
#7::ultsimon: 6.5/10. As before, I don't really know Castlevania. When Vergeben leaked him, I did start to get a headcanon of he and Dovahkiin questing together through Nordic ruins considering both have the whole leather-clad barbarian look going on. I'd actually favor Simon a lot more if that ever ends up becoming a reality (Dovahkiin for DLC!)
#6::ultchrom: 6.5/10. Mostly for his fans. I do think there are too many Fire Emblems on the roster, definitely too many sword wielding lords, and I'd have taken Azura as the next over anyone else. Still, Chrom did get done really dirty after the last game, so I'm happy to see him in.
#5::ultisabelle: 7/10. Cute little pupper. I'm still convinced she has a mean streak like that assistant mayor in Zootopia, so I really need to see her go on a rampage with the Death's Scythe item. It's great to see her, and she looks like the infinitely better version of Villager.
#4::ultincineroar: 8/10. I was never really on the Incineroar train until Vergeben discounted Decidueye, but I did get more and more into it as time went along. I'm glad his schtick isn't just 'fire punches' like I was fearing, but he has a lot of wrestling moves. At this point, I definitely think he looks awesome and I can't wait to play my Bara Tiger in Smash.
#3::ultdaisy: 9/10. Didn't see this coming at all. I've always loved Daisy in the Mario spinoff games, so seeing her with her BFF in Smash is great. I do hope she keeps all of her most annoying taunts as well (I know I've heard the voice is the same, to that's a start). I'd have preferred that she'd had a few more differences from Peach, but I'll take it.
#2::ultridley: 10/10. I was hoping for this guy since Sm4sh. I'd never played a Metroid game, but the Ridley community on the boards is great and really got me to support our Space Pirate captain. Seeing him in Smash is a dream come true, and his moveset looks nothing short of amazing.
#1::ultkrool: 11/10. You know, there was always a caveat to me wanting K.Rool and Ridley that I thought Ridley was more important. Again, I only played DK64 through once I got involved in the community from Sm4sh, but after seeing the Kaptain, I rethought everything. He looks glorious, and is so true to form for every move. I am absolutely in love, and I have to say that his announcement was oneo f the most hype things they could have given me.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
To be fair, that was just one bad source, and they have been right before...
Even Verge had some bad sources
Remember when Phoenix Wright and Zero were supposed to be playable?
Urggh! Those wounds are still raw! WHy is it that the one thing regarding this game Verg had to get wrong, it was that!? Anyway, is there a new rumor involving Phoenix Wright? What's up?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
My favorite thing has gotta be "Skyloft and Wuhu Island don't transform but Aero Port Town and Delfino Island do".
What even is consistency?
I imagine a lot of it comes down to...
A - Time
B - Would it be Battefield/Final Destination if they didn't transform?

D

Deleted member

Here are the results:
Swirl point color
Call without a name can not be found from the last word
Carrying a night torch in cold weather,
Let me kill myself, let me awaken the ashes of the inner light!

When the sky comes
For this, our world.
Dark eye, the sun rises, vanishes.
Red shadow

Silent increase interval
Extended beyond the deadline
Rising discovered the chorus of sound and soul.
Fly in the sky!

He must seize all these sparks, this is not life,
Traps per game
Change of storm
The ashes burned with fire,

Including whispering lights
The process of rushing to join him is diminishing: before he sings in front of the power of the place, he is pushed to the leader of the Holy Spirit.
There is no way to escape, will he be condemned again?
You will not break this link at the end of the season.

Swirl point color

Destiny becomes infinite.
For the first time, he injected new life into his life.
In the past, the soil was restored.
Fate still exists!

We will applaud you in this regard.
Traps per game
This is the time I finally found.
You leave tomorrow?

Whether to call for the integration of culture to continue spreading.
Far from the soul of the choir.
The heat of movement increases gradually.

Swirl point color
The light will tell you the way to the last battle!

The hot agitation slowly raises the coal.

Swirl point color
LMAO

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Also gonna do newcomer opinions
:ultincineroar:- Hmm...While, he was my least favorite out of the alolan starters...and I REALLY didn't want him in the game at first, his moveset is cool and he's got a lot of personality and is pretty funny. I won't probably play as him but I certainly don't dislike him. 5/10
:ultinkling:- I REALLY want to love this character...but there is just something missing? IDK?I think maybe because I really wanted to love Splatoon 2 but for whatever reason I didn't. Still looks like a cool character with personality. 7/10
:ultisabelle:- So pure, so sweet, so adorable, i will protect her. 9/10
:ultkrool:-While I used to really not like him back in the Brawl days and really wanted Dixie, but you know what...I love Donkey Kong and he really should be in this game. I'm happy for him(Will also likely never play him). 6/10
:ultdaisy:- The meme queen. I always wondered why she wasn't in earlier(that was when i really only played mario, zelda, DK and pokemon games) but i'm glad she is here, shes literally so funny to me. Wish she was a more unique but whatevaaaa. 8/10
:ultpiranha:-G.E.N.I.U.S. I love this character? So random, so meme-y, so different and unexpected that I'm so drawn to them. I LOVE it. 10/10
:ultridley:-spooky;( Def his time to be in. No desire for him myself but he seems so cool and i like how serious and threatening he is. And obliterating him with Isabelle is top priority. 7/10
:ultchrom:-just like so boring...so many cool FE characters and it's just like...;( But he seems like a very last minute addition but happy for his fans. 2/10
:ultken:- Makes total sense and I 100% understand why he is in. Seems cooler than Ryu, but still really does nothing for me. 4/10
:ultsimon:- Beautiful hair..? umm...I don't know that much about his home series but he looks cool and his whip looks nice. 5/10???
:ultrichter:-SO, while I know nothing about his series...he has a very nice design and seems like a chill version of simon. Into it a little more...6/10

D

Deleted member

Here are the results:
Swirl point color

When the sky comes
For this, our world.
Red shadow

Silent increase interval
Fly in the sky!

Traps per game
Change of storm

The process of rushing to join him is diminishing: before he sings in front of the power of the place, he is pushed to the leader of the Holy Spirit.

Swirl point color

Fate still exists!

Traps per game
You leave tomorrow?

Swirl point color

Swirl point color
LMAO
We should make Crush 40 sing this in the style of “I Am All Of Me”.

D

Deleted member

Dr. Mario has a new BThrow and a new animation for his Side B(dunno if it functions differently but it looks like it trades horizontal reach for vertical).
But really, after Ken, Echoes just mean "whatever the **** we want to lmao"

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
You're really downplaying Pokemon representation in Smash

Pokemon is huge, It makes sense to have a new one added in every game...
Got no gripes with Pikachu, Mewtwo or Pokemon Trainer although Ivysaur was never really popular. Jigglypuff and Pichu were added to pad out the roster. It just so happens that a Pokemon that could be based off Kirby was popular at the time and likewise with Pichu being able to be based off Pikachu. Psyduck was also a gag in season 1 but couldn't be based on a character from 64 and quite a few Pokemon were shown off in either that short or another one like Smoochum, Teddiursa and Marill. Admittedly, they weren't the star of one like Pichu was. My point here is if the popular Pokemon couldn't be based off a pre-existing fighter at the time, they wouldn't have been added in since they were put in purely for padding.

Lucario would require a great deal of research to find out exactly though I should probably do that to educate myself on the matter. A quick google search tells me Brawl started development in late 2005 and Diamond and Pearl didn't come out until September of 2006 in Japan. That being said, I'm aware Lucario made prior appearances like in Red and Blue Rescue Team and his movie. No idea what his first appearance was though. From my quick searches, it appears he could have been added before Diamond and Pearl even came out, showing he was added for advertisement purposes over popularity.

Pokemon XY weren't even out when development for Sm4sh started and I remember from the speculation period back then that it was said at some point that Sakurai saved a spot on the roster specifically for a gen 6 Pokemon and didn't pick until he saw concept art. Again, added for promotion since he had no way of knowing which Pokemon would and wouldn't be popular at the time. Pretty sure the anime for XY hadn't started yet either.

Incineroar seems like it'd be in a similar boat to Greninja. Development for Ultimate started in 2015 while Sun and Moon weren't out until November 2016 and again, I doubt the anime had started at that point.

It's been said before in this thread that The Pokemon Company generally has an idea which of their new Pokemon will immediately become popular and so they plan those Pokemon ahead of time to have merchandise and to have major roles in the anime and movies. This likely extends to Smash too where Sakurai asks them for a Pokemon and they give him a list of ones they plan on advertising with before the games are even out.

So again, to restate my point, a good portion of the Pokemon in Smash aren't picked because they're loved by fans, they're picked because they're easy to make or for advertisement purposes since their games aren't even out at the time. They have all ended up becoming popular but again, Smash helps with that, TPC already has an idea which ones will become popular and Pokemon in general are popular.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Here are the results:
Swirl point color

When the sky comes
For this, our world.
Red shadow

Silent increase interval
Fly in the sky!

Traps per game
Change of storm

Swirl point color

Fate still exists!

Traps per game
You leave tomorrow?

Swirl point color

Swirl point color
LMAO
So, when do we bring this to the attention of Malinda Reese?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom