• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So to talk about DLC more, I thought about something. The pricing for the DLC in Smash 4, specifically the price difference between 1st Party Characters and 3rd Party Characters. Keep in mind this is not counting the combo packs that would net you the character for both Wii U and 3DS.

So the DLC pricing goes all over the place for Sm4sh. The returning Vets were $3.99. Corrin, being the only 1st party newcomer via DLC, was $4.99. However all the 3rd Party Characters, (Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta) all cost $5.99, and that included the character and their respective stages & music, which is how SmUsh is selling it's DLC packs. Now this isn't anything super big obviously but I think it lends credence to the idea that all of our DLC characters will be 3rd party characters.

What do you guys think?
But remember, Corrin didn't come with a stage
I also seemed to be one of about five people who were happy with Corrin. Not that I knew the character, but they seemed super interesting to play as.
I haven't touched a Fire Emblem game in my life, but Corrin is so far, my all time favorite smash character... She is just so fun to use...

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Figured I'd jump in on the opinions of the newcomers. From most liked to least:
:ultisabelle: I always found her adorable but seeing from her reveal trailer and her little 20 second video on the main site, I was skeptical about her playstyle since I can't stand Villagers but after seeing a showcase of her moves, I absolutely love her. That Gyroid mine is gonna give her so much stage control <3 kinda like Pac-Man's trampoline or Villager's custom sapling that caused tripping. She'll be able to camp behind it with her fair and bair and can reel people in with her fishing rod. Plus it'll be great for ledge pressure since she can then add dash attack for off stage pressure. I also like that her uair and dair are consistent and not randomized like Villager's
:ultridley: = :ultchrom: I like Ridley and Chrom equally but for different reasons. I've been a casual supporter for Ridley ever since I heard people wanted him back in the Brawl days. His design is cool as are his boss fights in the Metroid games and he has one of, if not, the longest support history of any character currently in Smash. Megaman might have him beat since I believe he placed well in a Japanese poll along with Sonic some time after Melee came out? As for Chrom, Roy is one of my favourite characters to use in Sm4sh and Chrom is just a variation of Roy. I'm both looking forward to and not looking forward to the balanced blade. Less potential comboability and kill power but more consistent damage and shield pressure. Plus Aether is a trash recovery unless he can ledge snap.
:ultkrool: Was never a big supporter for him but he's cool looking and goofy too.
:ultdarksamus: I don't mind Samus in Sm4sh so I might use Damus casually plus she looks cool.
:ultpiranha: ****ing stupid and ridiculous and I love it. I'd probably be singing a different tune if I didn't get Wolf back or if I wanted some character that wasn't in but I'm satisifed.
:ultsimon: = :ultrichter: Can't give much of an opinion on their playstyle until the game comes out and I never grew up with Castlevania, having only played and not even finished SotN but I'm happy for their inclusion just for the music alone.
:ultdaisy: Included her last on this list as I genuinely forgot she was even in. Don't care for her or for Peach's playstyle but she's up this high purely because my best bud had Peach as a secondary in both Brawl and Sm4sh so I like that she's in for giving him some extra variety.
:ultinkling: Don't care for how they look, or their music and their playstyle doesn't look interesting but I'm willing to give them a try. Never played Splatoon although I might get Splatoon 2 for Christmas.
:ultken: Could never get into Ryu in Sm4sh so I doubt I'll get into Ken but he's fine.
:ultincineroar: You could replace him with any gen 7 Pokemon and I'd still put them at the bottom. I don't like how shoehorned in a good amount of the Pokemon feel. Like, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Greninja, Incineroar and possibly even Lucario aren't in due to popularity and demand. 2 of them are in just to pad out the rosters of 64 and Melee and the others are just their for game advertising. Sure they happen to be popular but Smash makes characters popular as shown with Roy and they're frickin' Pokemon, the best selling media in the world. Damn near any of them would be popular inclusions.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
No because then Camelot can actually start focusing on Golden Sun

:4pacman:
I actually want Isaac to show up in Mario Tennis Aces. It'd be a nice nod to Camelot's RPGs, and the idea of using terrakinesis to play tennis is hilarious.
If you could only have one, I'd trade em both for Bomberman. :3
I like the way you think.
Yes, Richter and Bomberman. Because that'd be hilarious and people would be mad.

:teeth:
I really like the way you think. Castlevania is my second-favorite Konami franchise after Bomberman. (Third-favorite is Ganbare Goemon. Sorry, Snake; I love you in Smash, but your franchise doesn't particularly appeal to me.)
I think it's more why waste time over a character no one wanted than ones that has been heavily requested. I personally like his addition, but I completely understand why people don't.
Gonna throw it out there...I seem to remember a good amount of the fanbase wanting a character that nobody saw coming to get revealed.

We got one, and the salt is definitely...definitely real with it.

Is it...a character nobody saw coming that YOU wanted to see, or one that nobody saw coming like Piranha Plant? Pick one.
...Okay, I'll admit, if Corsola or Moge-ko had been the bonus/unexpected/WTF character, I would have been laughing and cheering so hard that everyone in the cafeteria would be turning to stare at me.
Dear god, why is Kazooie so tall? :p
...I was wondering the exact same thing.

D

Deleted member

Guys, just think of how much more emotional the World of Light trailer would've been if Sonic had shouted out to Pikachu just before they were spirited.
:(

D

Deleted member

My favorite thing has gotta be "Skyloft and Wuhu Island don't transform but Aero Port Town and Delfino Island do".
What even is consistency?
I was thinking that maybe it had to do with the hitboxes on the islands for Skyloft and Wuhu, but Port Town has the road so no consistency there...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sonic keeps on gettting some good treatment

Ignore it then...ain’t hard to do such a thing

Isabelle is the one blonde person Ridley won’t kill
I shouldnt have to ignore it.
The rules are site exist for a reason.
This site isnt only used by adults.
I should be able to go about speculation (something I enjoy) without needing to read something I find uncomfortable or disturbing.

D

Deleted member

I should be able to go about speculation (something I enjoy) without needing to read something I find uncomfortable or disturbing.
Dude, just let it go. It's over now. :rolleyes::facepalm:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I have seen this trend in speculation, that because some certain character isn't AT, or boss... their chances go up.
but this isnt true, except maybe for very specific circunstances. (Elma, but then again, could be a dark samus situation, or could be a skull kid situation)

To put it simply i will do a fake popularity list:

-King K rool (uber popular)
-Isaac (Very popular)
-Bomberman (Very popular)
-Shovel Knight (Very popular)
-Shantae (slightly less popular than shovel knight)
-Dark Samus (popular, but could work as an echo)
-Shadow (popular, but could work as an echo)
-Krystal (popular)
-Blaze the cat (very niche popularity)
-Pushmo (Somewhat popular)

my point is... speaking out of popularity alone, the fact that Isaac, Bomberman, ShovelKnight, Shadow and Krystal become Assist trophies doesn't mean that Blaze the cat and Pushmo chances to get in got better. probably on the contrary. (nothing against Blaze and pushmo supporters, just the first 2 niches supports i could think of)

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Last things I wanna comment on are the supposed Katalina (did I spell that right?) dlc and the argument of Steve vs Banjo.

I'm in full support for this Katalina character getting into Smash just for the amount of fan-made rules she'll destroy. Audrey already killed the hat goomba rule and the has-to-be-important rule, Isabelle killed the 'has to be unique unless they're an echo' rule. This Katalina would destroy the 'has to have appeared on a Nintendo console' rule unless she gets a game on Switch and is being added for promotion purposes and she'd kill the 'has to have world appeal' rule. The fewer rules we have shutting down speculation for future games, the better.

As for Steve vs Banjo, I see a lot of people say they don't want Steve because he's in direct competition with Banjo...how exactly would any of us know that? When planning out the roster, Sakurai and his team could've thought of Steve and a moveset for him and decided to contact Microsoft without even giving Banjo a single thought. Sure there's the ballot but we don't actually know how well he placed on it. Plus there's the whole wider appeal that Minecraft stuff would have. It's like with Waluigi and Audrey. For all we know, Waluigi wasn't even given a single thought on becoming a playable character. Unless we get an interview where Sakurai outright says his thoughts on the matter, we would have no way of knowing if Steve truly got in the way of Banjo or not. The same can be said for Cloud and Geno.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We have a lot of the stages so far, there isn't really a consistent answer to what Hazard Toggle does.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9u2zio/compilation_of_information_about_hazardless/
I don’t give a **** what people think, I’m abusing the hell out of Reset Bomb Forest and Duck Hunt for competitive play
You don’t have to, but you should (cause there’s no point in getting worked up over something if it’s not a big deal). Rules aren’t gonna do everything to deal with what’s a problem to one person, children and teens have said and done WAY WORSE than talk about sex (don’t pull that Sony bull****), and there’s still millions of people speculating, so just focus on them

look I can show an example of ignoring someone/thing instead of getting triggered or annoyed over something

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
My DLC predictions:
-Steve (not just because Vergeben toyed around with it)
- Geno
-Fourth Mii Class
-Gen 8 rep (assuming we have a Generation 8)
-Something large and green

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don’t give a **** what people think, I’m abusing the hell out of Reset Bomb Forest and Duck Hunt for competitive play

You don’t have to, but you should (cause there’s no point in getting worked up over something if it’s not a big deal). Rules aren’t gonna do everything to deal with what’s a problem to one person, children and teens have said and done WAY WORSE than talk about sex (don’t pull that Sony bull****), and there’s still millions of people speculating, so just focus on them

look I can show an example of ignoring someone/thing instead of getting triggered or annoyed over something
Do your own time, dont worry about me guy.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I was just thinking... I'm kinda sad that nowadays they can't leave hidden unlockable characters in the game because of dataminers. But I feel like piranha plant would have worked really well as a secret character. It's not a 3rd party and not promoting any game, so it wouldn't have had to be "announced". And it's a perfect WTF secret character similar to what games used to do in the old days, like that little dragon in Tekken 3.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
ok I'll jump in from most liked to least liked
:ultkrool: my most wanted newcomer ever. So glad he made it this time the trailer was amazing and his moveset looks to have everything not to mention the great Final Smash.

:ultridley: Also another requested newcomer that I wanted too. Glad to see him make it and with being what I feel was the biggest (ha) omission to smash glad to see him make the cut.

:ultincineroar: big pokemon fan and was my choice for as a starter in this generation. Really like he shows off his personalty when he is fighting really helps him stand out.

:ultinkling: makes the most sense and completely unsurprising to see them make the cut glad to see they bring a unique playstyle to smash as well

:ultsimon: cool to see him make it as he is iconic but never really played his games but he looks fun

:ultpiranha: I like surprise characters and he looks like he will be fun to play

:ultken: original echo fighter needed to be in this game cool

:ultdarksamus: looks fun and glad to see metroid get more reps

:ultchrom: awakening was my first FE game so super glad to see him in and having a bit of roy and ike mixed in

:ultrichter: don't know the character besides the but I looked uo after he was announced but looks cool

:ultisabelle: not a fan of animal crossing or of her so glad for her fans but not for me

:ultdaisy: yeah honestly meh on her too

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I hate when this thread derails into sexualized talk.

Has nothing to do with the topic.

I wanna read about rumors and speculation not about users fetishes.
Look chief I’m just looking at all the evidence, trying to come to a solid answer of whether or not Wario is a virgin.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Do your own time, dont worry about me guy.
I was gonna ignore you as an example, but you already understood quickly...goody
Pichu has different body structures from Pikachu so he couldn't be an echo anyway.
I was gonna add in the “excluding body size” part, but I ‘‘twas too late

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Dr. Mario broke that rule when he wasn't an echo. He's way more of a clone than Isabelle.
I meant for newcomers. Doc is a vet from Melee and was created purely for padding out the roster at the time. With Isabelle, people were hell bent on believing that she'd have to be an echo and were and some probably still are upset that time was given to make her a bit more unique. Plus, I've mentioned in a post before that with all the little differences the likes of Ken, Dark Pit, Chrom, Lucina, Dark Samus and Daisy have, echo basically just means 'clone' but for ones introduced in Sm4sh onwards. By following the standards those characters have set, Doc by all means should be considered an echo and I firmly believe the only reason he isn't considered one is because he first appeared in Melee.

D

Deleted member

She would be the first ever SSS tier character in Smash history and would break the game using her signature move: Awoo.
YES
But I would want her to be nerfed drastically so I could use her competitively. :3
I meant for newcomers. Doc is a vet from Melee and was created purely for padding out the roster at the time. With Isabelle, people were hell bent on believing that she'd have to be an echo and were and some probably still are upset that time was given to make her a bit more unique. Plus, I've mentioned in a post before that with all the little differences the likes of Ken, Dark Pit, Chrom, Lucina, Dark Samus and Daisy have, echo basically just means 'clone' but for ones introduced in Sm4sh onwards. By following the standards those characters have set, Doc by all means should be considered an echo and I firmly believe the only reason he isn't considered one is because he first appeared in Melee.
Ohhh, Okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Another stray thought but it's a shame that Audrey is the name people came up with for Pirahna Plant when there's another perfectly fitting name for it: Piper. Courtesy of Paper Mario Color Splash of all things where
There's a sidequest where you help a bunch of Toads bring their friend back and it ends up being a Pirahna Plant named Piper.
Not surprised people didn't think of it since a lot of people like to pretend that game doesn't exist since it's more akin to Sticker Star than TTYD. It's a good looking game with humorous writing which I feel makes up for the lacking combat system, much like Earthbound imo. Dah well, if Audrey sticks, I'll likely keep using it, either that or just PP.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Assuming everyone else is doing it, my favorite newcomers from worst to best

12.:ultkrool:I'm happy for his fans, but he's just really meh for me 2/10
11.:ultdarksamus: Samus... but dark... yay... 6/10
10.:ultridley:He reminds me of a Xenomorph... He should be pretty fun 6/10
9.:ultchrom: He should have been in Smash 4 in the first place 7/10
8.:ultdaisy: She looks pretty fun, albeit not too different form Peach 8/10
7.:ultpiranha: Little Smash of horrors 9/10
6.:ultisabelle: This pupper is too precious for this world 9/10
5.:ultsimon: He looks really true to original games... 9/10
4.:ultrichter: "What is an Echo? A fun extra character with not a lot of development time!" 9/10
3.:ultinkling: Can't wait to wield the power of the Woomy... 9/10
2.:ultken: Easily, the best echo, hands down... 10/10
1.:ultincineroar:Multiple factors including Litten being my Sun and Moon starter, His wide variety of expressions, and this being Unshō Ishizuka's final role, make Incineroar my most anticipated new character 10/10

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Another stray thought but it's a shame that Audrey is the name people came up with for Pirahna Plant when there's another perfectly fitting name for it: Piper. Courtesy of Paper Mario Color Splash of all things where
There's a sidequest where you help a bunch of Toads bring their friend back and it ends up being a Pirahna Plant named Piper.
Not surprised people didn't think of it since a lot of people like to pretend that game doesn't exist since it's more akin to Sticker Star than TTYD. It's a good looking game with humorous writing which I feel makes up for the lacking combat system, much like Earthbound imo. Dah well, if Audrey sticks, I'll likely keep using it, either that or just PP.
Piper is good I'm going with that.

Also why is it so fast?

Why are all the large guys so fast?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Doc does have some different moves to both Mario and Luigi, so he kinda can’t be an echo
well oofzers

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
I know I shouldn't, but whatever.

What about the people who don't really care all that much about Ridley and K. Rool?* There are people who don't really care all that much about any of the newcomers who were shown in the Base game. (*example: Japanese fans on the whole don't care about Ridley, he's a character that mostly appeals to Americans)

It's very self-centered to assume that getting what you want is enough to make everyone happy.

To go full-disclosure mode: Isaac was the one character I wanted, moreso than any other; and I didn't get him (except in the form of an Assist Trophy). None of the Newcomers we got can even remotely compare to Isaac for me.

For me personally, I'd have rather gotten Isaac than Ridley, but then that would deprive Ridley's fans of their most-wanted character.
Before anyone says anything, it's not like I'm not going to buy the game, it's still going to be among the best Smash Bros. games, even without my No. 1.
I don't really care about any of the newcomers other than Piranha and Ken, but you have to admit Nintendo went big with their newcomers.

Those picks were pretty much done off of the ballot, so a vast majority wanted those characters, I would say it is safe for me to assume that these characters were wanted by a massive portion of the smash fanbase.

As a Golden Sun fan, I would love Isaac in, but it doesn't really affect me too much, as at the end of the day we are getting the biggest Smash game ever, and I can't wait to start playing again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom