• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
**** it since another user kinda got my gears working thinking of other first party characters for Smash here's a list of some I think would make sense
for sony
1.Jak and Daxter
2.Sly Cooper
3.Ratchet and Clank
4.Sir Daniel Fortesque
5.Cole MacGrath
(and honorable mention for sony sackboy)
for Microsoft
1.Master Chief
2.Marcus Fenix
3.Conker
4.Banjo
5.Jade from beyond good and evil
(and Ryo from Shenmue 2)

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
What if Sakurai decides to head up a Sin and Punishment sequel and we get Saki as a promotional character before that similar to how we got Pit in Brawl?

I can dream, right?
Well, I love using Gunners in video games a lot so thing would be great for me.

NineS

Smash Lord
Well we're making the assumption that when putting in a character from a different franchise, you'd actually appeal to that fanbase instead of using an easily recognizable franchise.
If people didn't know Dragon Quest at all, I'd say they'd probably think Slime was a Pokemon than anything else.

Plus, the Dragonball DragonQuest parallels are valid as the artist is the same. It's like not putting in Crono from Chrono Trigger because he has the same artstyle as Dragonball.
You make some pretty good points, but who's to say Sakurai can't put the slime in such a form that it appeals to both?
DLC is going to be a huge moneymaker, so they're not just appealing to core fans of the Enix franchises here, but Smash fans as a whole. Especially newcoming fans.
I think generally, though, the differences in Pokemon's artstyle to dragon quests will likely be enough to make it clear it's not just a pocket monster...
New here, but I'd like to speculate on the Square rep. My personal opinion is that Yuna from Final Fantasy X could be a possibility. While she may be another FF rep, she's a well-known character both in Japan and the West (FF X was super popular), would have a cool moveset, and could be used to market the FF ports that will be coming to the Switch sometime next year. You could argue "Well why not Tidus?" Well, **** Tidus. We already have a blond, sword-wielding FF protag. Give me something else.

As for other DLC characters, I'm of the opinion that they will mostly be third party since Smash 4's unique fighter DLC was mostly third party. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were old fighters.

If I were to guess, I'd say: Banjo-Kazooie (I'm living in denial of Steve, okay), Catalina, Yuna, Lloyd Irving (Bamco hasn't gotten their dues yet), and a 1st party. I'd like to say Rex and Pyra if the costume doesn't deconfirm them. Otherwise, idk, Elma or new FE girl. I want Shantae so bad but I know she's out of the running.
Welcome to the boards! I apologize ahead of time, but for me, it's always been 2B or not 2B!

I like the sound of Yuna. It at least sounds refreshing compared to constant Sora I've been hearing lately (Sorry, Sora fans, I hold no prejudice against Sora. But it gets tiring hearing about him so often on here... But I guess for Sora fans, this must be a bit of a dream come true.)

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

If Final Fantasy is getting another character, I'm putting my money on Noctis.
I could see this too. Squeenix is just milking FFXV to make up all those development costs over the, what, 10 years it took to make it?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I'm calling it right now. If there's a Smash Direct much later after launch, Sakurai will deconfirm most of our most wanteds with DLC assists, if he were to get DLC assists that is.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Late, but it would be weird if Sora didn't have his KH1 outfit, since it's kinda his most iconic?

I guess it's like how Snake is based on MGS2 instead of MGS1.

NineS

Smash Lord
Is it wrong that whenever someone brings up the idea of a new FF character I don't think of Sephiroth or Tifa, I think of a Chocobo?
Well, the chocobo is getting a game for the Switch. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy.
That, and it's one of the single few DLC mii costumes from Smash 4 that have yet to be deconfirmed.

I want the chocobo, and I think he's got a fair chance as a new FF character as well.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The Custom Robo trademark expired recently

Didn't stop Sakurai :yoshi:
Trademarks are different from copyrights. Copyrights technically have an expiration date, but until Mickey Mouse loses his I won't believe it.

D

Deleted member

Important question: have we seen the music selection for Shadow Moses and if so, are there any Revengeance tracks?
This is more important to me than anything else in Smash right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Do....do they not realize that Fate/Stay Night was a PC visual novel? It's a series that existed a good while before phone games even became a big thing.
They're too busy endulging their hate... you know... for literally everything to realise the stupidity of what they're saying.
How would you feel if something like this happened in World of Light?
MY HEART!

*collapses*

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Just want to say that the Gaming Intel Twitter is laughably incorrect.

The night of the direct, we were told that we were getting a Nintendo 64 mini announced in the Smash direct, and that the direct would not have Incineroar in it.

It's a sham.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Hey guys how about this:

Spike from Ape Escape: but all of his specials only switch gadgets, and you need to use the right analog stick to use them, just like in the Original games, this includes his grab (Which switches to his net).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why are we believing these guys again?

We're they the ones who said "Incineroar is NOT in the Direct and Nintendo would show the N64 Mini"?
One thing to keep in mind is that every leaker gets bad sources. They are absolutely wrong about the characters leak, but we have yet to see if they're wrong about the N64 MIni. They've been credible in the past, so it's better to be skeptical than purely dismiss them.

It's not about belief, it's about waiting and seeing. B&K did get their IP renewed. It's not really odd if the N64 Mini had some Rare games on it(though I think Goldeneye 007 may have too many licensing issues compared to the other Rare games, so...). But it might not. All we can do is wait and see.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don’t want to speculate on a second season yet so I’m basing my predictions on what we know from the Direct:

1. Banjo-Kazooie (Spiral Mountain plus music)
  2. Elma (New Los Angelos plus music)
  3. Mach Rider (was considered once back in the day) (Earth 2112 plus music)
  4. Namco 2nd Rep (Heihachi, Nightmare, Lloyd, etc) (Mishima Dojo, Fated Encounter, Tower of Salvation, etc and music)
  5. Chrono Sora (Twilight Town and music)

Last edited:

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
I wonder if the characters are going to be released piecemeal or in chunks again. I could see Piranha Plant releasing in February, followed by the first pass fighter in April, or they could wait until June or so to release two characters at once, then another duo in fall and the final one before the February 2020 deadline.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
yo so what do we all think is in DLC season 3

i bet season 4 is gonna rock

Last edited:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Well, the chocobo is getting a game for the Switch. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy.
That, and it's one of the single few DLC mii costumes from Smash 4 that have yet to be deconfirmed.

I want the chocobo, and I think he's got a fair chance as a new FF character as well.
Those are my thoughts exactly. Maybe SE would like to help promote "Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy" more since they basically just revived a series that's been dead for about 10 years. Besides, I like to think chocobos are pretty recognizable around the world~

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Welcome to the boards! I apologize ahead of time, but for me, it's always been 2B or not 2B!

I like the sound of Yuna. It at least sounds refreshing compared to constant Sora I've been hearing lately (Sorry, Sora fans, I hold no prejudice against Sora. But it gets tiring hearing about him so often on here... But I guess for Sora fans, this must be a bit of a dream come true.)
Thank you. Also, I would love 2B, but, unfortunately, I feel since she was just announced for SCVI, I'm not sure if she would be put in Smash. Square might feel SCVI probably suits her better since you are able to do flashy and bombastic **** and also better character models plus clothes destruction lol.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean I don't think you can say he hasn't done it for 10 years when DLC has only been around for Smash 4.
Okay, then however long it's been since DLC started coming out.

Honestly, I do feel like Sakurai's the type of person who would look at an AT and think that that's enough representation for that specific game.

Then at that point, he'd be free to pick from dozens of other juicy characters, from across the entirety of the gaming spectrum. Weighing the chance at an already existing assist trophy vs something completely new skews the scale in favor of using the resources for something else, fan-favorites, retroes, wacky cuh-razy picks, etc etc.

Goddamn I've never hoped you were wrong before, Idon, but goddamn I hope you're ****ing wrong about this one. Just one time, please.
Oh, I want to be wrong on this one.
It's one of the things I want to be wrong about above all else.
Lyn sadd.png

But GODDAMMIT, I'm a cynic and this is what my brain is telling me over my heart.
And I can't talk about remotely realistic decisions and playable assist trophies in the same breath.
Lyn Mad.png

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Man imagine you being an immortal supernatural vampire legend (Who became evil just because you lost to the only person who cared about you), sitting in your chair at the top of your castle, waiting for another fool to feast, when instead of some group of holy knights, it's just some snappy plant in the pot going to bite your ass, with a spirit that is some redhead girl that is shy for her own good.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I may be the only person who feels this way, but God I hate tournament announcers for Smash - for God's sakes, SHUT UP and enjoy the match! Especially in tournaments when the players can HEAR YOU - it's gotta be distracting.

D

Deleted member

New here, but I'd like to speculate on the Square rep. My personal opinion is that Yuna from Final Fantasy X could be a possibility. While she may be another FF rep, she's a well-known character both in Japan and the West (FF X was super popular), would have a cool moveset, and could be used to market the FF ports that will be coming to the Switch sometime next year. You could argue "Well why not Tidus?" Well, **** Tidus. We already have a blond, sword-wielding FF protag. Give me something else.

As for other DLC characters, I'm of the opinion that they will mostly be third party since Smash 4's unique fighter DLC was mostly third party. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were old fighters.

If I were to guess, I'd say: Banjo-Kazooie (I'm living in denial of Steve, okay), Catalina, Yuna, Lloyd Irving (Bamco hasn't gotten their dues yet), and a 1st party. I'd like to say Rex and Pyra if the costume doesn't deconfirm them. Otherwise, idk, Elma or new FE girl. I want Shantae so bad but I know she's out of the running.
> New user in SmashBoards
> Rex & Pyra for Smash
> Tidus from Final Fantasy X for Smash

Oh we're gonna get along real well.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
What if Sakurai decides to head up a Sin and Punishment sequel and we get Saki as a promotional character before that similar to how we got Pit in Brawl?

I can dream, right?
Uprising amusingly enough IS a spiritual successor of sorts to Sin and Punishment.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I may be the only person who feels this way, but God I hate tournament announcers for Smash - for God's sakes, SHUT UP and enjoy the match! Especially in tournaments when the players can HEAR YOU - it's gotta be distracting.
Well they're not exactly playing in a competitive environment to begin with, y'know playing with final smash meters, stage morphs, random stages, all that stuff.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
My thoughts on DLC...

I dunno. I was pretty spot on with Smash 4 DLC, I called Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo but I couldn't have seen the new characters coming. I think that might be happening here as well. I could tell you what I would like for DLC, though. That I can do.

Season 1:
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Rayman
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Saki Amamiya
  • Geno
Echo Season:
  • Shadow
  • Big Boss
  • Dixie Kong
  • Zack Fair
  • Ninten
Season 2:
  • Isaac
  • Lyn
  • Ashley
  • Waluigi
  • Takamaru
Like, I'm not ignorant enough to think that any of this would ever happen because, well, it's all pipe dreams. I do really hope Sakurai goes beyond 1 Season though. Really bad. I want to be looking forward to stuff in this game for years to come. I also really hope Sakurai breaks the rule that Assists can't become playable in the same game. It would put me over the moon if any of those came true in a theoretical Season 2. Especially Isaac. He and Banjo are my last two characters I really really want in Smash. Geno, Saki, Hayabusa, and Rayman would also be beyond incredible.
I like you’re taste. That’s pretty much exactly what I’m hoping for with just a few differing characters. Like personally I would really want Octolings as an echo, and I would actually prefer someone like Ocelot as a Snake echo, with Big Boss as a costume. That’s just me though.

And while I really would love to see some assists get promoted, I don’t believe that a whole Season 2 needs to be focused on it. At the same time though that would catch a lot of people off guard and make a good handful of mildly depressed fans absolutely overjoyed with excitement. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the characters are going to be released piecemeal or in chunks again. I could see Piranha Plant releasing in February, followed by the first pass fighter in April, or they could wait until June or so to release two characters at once, then another duo in fall and the final one before the February 2020 deadline.
Here’s my take on this,

Feb/March - PP
April/May 1st Pack
June E3 - 2nd Pack
Sep/Oct - 3rd Pack
Dec - 4th Pack
Feb 2019 - 5th Pack

Though I agree we could see two packs release at once, and makes sense for E3.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm honestly excited to collect the spirits. (And I think the Mii costumes look nice).
Same, trophies being gone kinda sucks but at least with the spirits it seems they have an absolute **** ton. It honestly surprised me how many characters were in it, and that's just what we've seen so far. The collecting and upgrading aspect seems really fun as well.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to make a Public Service Announcement.

Sakurai can make Isaac and Shadow an Assist Trophy.
Sakurai can remove trophies.
Sakurai can put us Geno and Rex fans into limbo.

However. Flies and Hand from Mario Paint is an Assist Trophy.

If Sakurai can't put this banger from Mario Paint in Smash Ultimate, this game will not deserve the "Greatest Game of All-Time" honor.

Please, Sakurai.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's still irritating.
It irritates me now because the game isn't out and I want to hear Ike's voice, and Snake's, and Marth's, and I want to hear the ****ing good music playing on the stage. and I want to hear the new victory themes, and I can't because the announcers are 4x the volume of the ****ing gameplay. When the game comes out though, and I can listen to this stuff whenever I want, and I'm watching a competitive game I'll probably prefer the announcers. Perspective.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Eh true, I wish they'd give us direct-feed gameplay with no commentating occassionally.
I'd be the best smash commentator cause I'm really bad at it so I wouldn't be able to talk due to being too nervous

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Wait when does spawn wave hint at Sora? He doesn’t even seem like someone with sources

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I wonder the reason why we didn’t get Shadow as a Echo or maybe unique character is probably Sega’s input on him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom