• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Halo is one of my favorite series ever, but I feel odd saying that I wouldn't like Master Chief at all in Smash when everyone else seems to like him.

I have a few reasons:

1. Master Chief and Halo have both never appeared on a Nintendo system... ever. One was planned for the DS, but it never happened for one reason or another. You could reaaaally stretch it and say that the Minecraft mash-up pack counts, but.. come on. That's not MC, that's a costume. A blocky one at that.

2. I don't think MC is the best representation for his genre compared to a much more classic, genre-defining character with a very strong history with Nintendo: The Doom Slayer AKA Doomguy.

What does/would Master Chief really do that Doomguy doesn't? The only thing I can think of that's really unique to Halo is the vehicle system and the energy sword. He likely would not be able to use vehicles in Smash, and, Doomguy even gets a cool energy blade in Eternal along with a grappling hook and blade.

It could be argued MC has a few more cartoony weapons to use in favor of Doomguy, however I think the Plasma Gun, Static Rifle, EMG, Rocket Launcher, Reaper, Gauss Canon, Lightning Gun, Grenades, other abilities, and the BFG (it has a non-swear canon full name for it if it were an issue) are enough to make a moveset out of Doomguy also emphasizes his ability to use hand to hand combat a bit more than MC in the new Doom games (even the classic has him using beserk a lot, and they use it as his Ultimate in Quake Champions.)

2.1 Also this is a very very minor thing but if they used the Halo 4 or Halo 5 design for Master Chief that would kill any and all hype I'd have for him. It's so ugly and doesn't look very similar at all to his original design made by Bungie. I know Halo Infinite is coming and makes this issue moot but they still use the 4/5 suit in a lot of new promotional material such as ads so I thought it was worth bringing up maybe probably not

This post isn't really related to any post recently, but I keep seeing Master Chief brought up a lot and just thought I'd throw my opinion into the pile since I like Halo and Smash a whole lot.
Yeah, I don't think Master Chief will ever be in Smash either, but I'm kind of biased against him. That being said, I don't think Doomguy has a good chance either

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nice, Educational, One problem though

Fictional characters dont have rights to consent :p just ask Piranha Plant! actually don't you'll see some ****
Well, obviously. XD

Just looked at the map again, and in Singapore, the Age of Consent is 19 (which seems to be the highest AoC that is still held up, one place had 21, but it seems to be a Defunct number now).

Jesus. They must look at the other countries and cringe. XD
This forum is killing it with the vocab I’ve never heard. Straight from Zinith, the magic word is:
View attachment 175215
Learning is fun!

D

Deleted member

I'm thinking they'll be more of enemies as Rathalos is a confirmed boss and we know Ghirahim shows up in the Imprisoned fight.
They didn't make most of them KOable for no reason
I think they'll be hostile at first, like the fighters will be when you encounter them. But after you beat them (probably a few times), you'll either break them out of Galeem's influence, or convince them to join your cause, thus gaining their services. You can still fight them again for experience or the item drops.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Do casual players really buy more DLC than hardcore players though? Let alone buy systems to buy a game to buy DLC for said game?

I also think were gonna get glorified advertisements over genuine wanted characters, and I'd love to be proven wrong, but I REALLY doubt that Joe Schmoe, who is not a fan of Smash and has no intention of buying Ultimate, will see a youtube video for Steve in Smash, and then decide "welp, time to buy a $300 system, $60 game, $70 pro controller for my buddy and the $25 season pass".
Joe Schmoe may not, but Joe Schmoe's kid who's screaming about how he wants to play as Minecraft will make him.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
It depends on where KingofKoopas KingofKoopas is from.

The age of consent varies from place to place (link).
It's 16 in the UK, Canada, Spain, Belgium, Russia, most of Eastern Europe, most of Australia and Brazil, among other places.​
It's 15 in France.​
In fact, the Age of Consent is, legally, 16 in most American States, but it's 18 in California, where most of all the media the American people consume is made.
Pretty sure the age of consent in the US is 18 in the majority of states.

Source: am American, yeehaw

zferolie

Smash Hero
I agree about the Switch lasting for five or six more years, but DLC won't last that long, of course. Now it is possible that it could last for two years instead of one, but if they want to live up to people's expectations and keep the current roster and not cut any characters for the next game, they'll need to start developing earlier, since development will take longer, maybe four or five years, so they can't keep doing DLC for too long before starting work on the next Smash game
That makes sense. I do think maybe 3 years at most, but even with just 2 seasons i think shantae has a good chance with this :)

D

Deleted member

I think they'll be hostile at first, like the fighters will be when you encounter them. But after you beat them (probably a few times), you'll either break them out of Galeem's influence, or convince them to join your cause, thus gaining their services.
That would be a cool implementation of them actually. We know Lapras helps with surfing so other Spirits doing the same wouldn't be a surprise. Now I'm wondering how long WoL will be, really hope it's not shorter than what it lets to be because we saw a lot of different worlds in it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, I wish. Sakurai wasn't even able to allow himself to favor KI again this time.

I honestly don't want another smash game unless this game core gameplay starts to go stale, and i rather have an expansion, or a second dlc cycle. I really really really don't want cuts.

thats why i only voted 3 times in 3 different machines :p
On the other hand, the gap between games should theoretically be longer this time (if only so they can get a more competent marketing department). Hasn't been a gap this short since between 64 and Melee.

And actually let Sakurai work on something else again for once, dude needs a break here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, how long is this stream/event supposed to last again? 5 days?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That makes sense. I do think maybe 3 years at most, but even with just 2 seasons i think shantae has a good chance with this :)
I want to think so, but I don't want to at the same time. Even though she was my most wanted character, after the Grinch leak I'm not trying to expect anything. That being said, I'd love for her to be DLC, but I don't want to hype myself up just to get let down :)

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, **** playing around with other modes, it's gonna be March 9th 2008 all over again, staying up all night and blasting through WoL.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Why in the McHeck is this a discussion that's happening on a Smash forum..?

It is, but people here are misinterpreting the age minors can consent with each other as the age they can consent in general. Really grosses me out, honestly.

Last edited:

monadoboyy

Smash Rookie
YO, what up my bro.
Sup bro, ready for the December free rolls?
I would personally prefer Djeeta, the main female protagonist from the Granblue Fantasy mobile game, but I think Katalina makes more sense because of the upcoming game and the anime adaptation
I'm not even sure how that would work out to be honest, since there are tons of different classes she can be ingame. Then again, we got a potted plant as a playable character, I'm sure Sakurai would find a way.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
bit off topic, but is there any way to close an account? I'm dropping out of smash stuff and was wondering if I could do something since I'm probably going not going to be using this account anymore.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The chairs meant nothing, but why else would there be two dice with Nobody symbols from Kingdom Hearts?

I didn't even know they were from Kingdom Hearts until it was pointed out (I haven't played the games), but no one seemed to disagree with it the last time it was brought up.

There's this 4chan thread:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/437352230

Here's a clearer(sorta) view of the background:

View attachment 175190

edit: :ultgreninja:'d
Yo that looks like what they're saying it looks like, I mean, it looks exactly like it

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
So, how long is this stream/event supposed to last again? 5 days?
at the beginning they put the schedule... bvut i honestly don't remember it... i wonder if we are getting later some good old fashiones 1v1s no items?... on other news...daanag these kids dropping the clouds... now is all about ganondorf!

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
bit off topic, but is there any way to close an account? I'm dropping out of smash stuff and was wondering if I could do something since I'm probably going not going to be using this account anymore.
It's probably better just to leave it so you can come back to it, in case you ever change your mind when a new Smash game or DLC releases, so you don't have to make a whole new account and username. However I do believe the admins can disable it for you.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Then obviously you didn't look at the map I provided.

Looking again, myself; it's actually kind of an even split between 16 and 18, some of them are even 17.

Example: The Age of Consent is 16 in the State of Washington, 17 in New York, and 18 in California.

California is where Hollywood is, most American media is made there. Hence, everyone in America assumes the AoC is 18, when it might actually not be. As a result, the AoC is functionally 18 across all of America.

Anyway, this is not a discussion for this thread.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly, **** playing around with other modes, it's gonna be March 9th 2008 all over again, staying up all night and blasting through WoL.
There's not much I wanna do with just the original 8. A few training matches, maybe a classic mode. After that I just wanna unlock everybody, and that entails spending all my time on an epic adventure mode.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I want to think so, but I don't want to at the same time. Even though she was my most wanted character, after the Grinch leak I'm not trying to expect anything. That being said, I'd love for her to be DLC, but I don't want to hype myself up just to get let down :)
I can understand that. Best to hype responsibly. I myself love speculating the future of games, so i dont mind doing this and trying to spred the hype

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Wait so can I gauge some opinions on this whole dice thing? This ain't reading into the color of two chairs this is seeing dice in the background which pretty clearly have a KH symbol on them.

I mean, box theory was real anything is possible now

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Sup bro, ready for the December free rolls?

I'm not even sure how that would work out to be honest, since there are tons of different classes she can be ingame. Then again, we got a potted plant as a playable character, I'm sure Sakurai would find a way.
You're not sure how Djeeta would work? I'm not sure either, but Sakurai could make it happen

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
It's probably better just to leave it so you can come back to it, in case you ever change your mind when a new Smash game or DLC releases, so you don't have to make a whole new account and username. However I do believe the admins can disable it for you.
Nah if I'm sure of coming back then I'll make a new account and start new. So where do I go for the disable?

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
Don't login?

Shroob

Sup?
You're not sure how Djeeta would work? I'm not sure either, but Sakurai could make it happen
The biggest problem with Granblue's MC is they're blank slates, focusing around different classes.

Sure, you 'could' do a moveset which causes them to swap to a different character class, but that seems....eh?

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
"Someone has a different opinion than me on the internet! I better make sure they know they're wrong!"
WAAH! Someone disagrees with my opinion so they make an argument against it? What an asshole doesn't he know I'm snowflake who's immune to criticism!? See that, that right there is you. I never said you can't have your opinion I'm just stating what I find flawed about it. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. But you are not immune to criticism quit your bull****.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I can understand that. Best to hype responsibly. I myself love speculating the future of games, so i dont mind doing this and trying to spred the hype
Fair enough, I want to be hyped for potential characters too, but I'm just trying to be realistic because I don't want us all to get our hopes up from overhyping and get let down in the end.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I realised that she actually has too much moveset potential rather than not enough, so there would need to be a lot more planning to figure a moveset that works.

In the meantime, I'm more concerned as to who the SE character could be.

And whether Katalina uses dat dress, but that's besides the point.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm going to feel so conflicted when the game finally drops. I'm not sure if I'm going to want to start practicing Pokemon Trainer or go strait to World of Light to clear that first, I'm just so excited for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom