• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I saw people rating the full roster newcomers and I want to get in on that! Mostly for my self :p

I'll do it on a 0-5 scale, easier to measure. 5 is actively excited, 0 is actively want them out. I'd say 2 is literally no feeling one way or the other and 3 is indifferent but happy for their inclusion. Ok let's go!
:ultinkling: 4/5 These poor guys sometimes get forgotten because we've known about them for so long but I'm really hyped for how they play, look fun! Just still bitter they have a gauge mechanic over a turf gimmick.

:ultdaisy:3/5 Eh. One of the less exciting echoes but good for her? I like playing as peach.

:ultridley:10/5 This game could have been Smash 4 port with Ridley and I'd be just as hype. This gets overstated by a lot of users on here, but I couldn't be happier with his inclusion.

:ultsimon: 3/5 Looks fun to play but I know nothing about Castlevania, hate his barbarian design and generally not excited by 3rd party characters.

:ultrichter: 3.5/5 Literally Simon but better. I'll be playing Richter.

:ultchrom: 2/5 Not gunna complain because I know he had fan demand. Still confused why he wasn't an Ike echo.

:ultdarksamus:4/5 Probably the coolest echo and I love we have a spooky symbiote-esque alien on the roster. I'm excited to play it over Samus.

:ultkrool:4/5 You know what I think he looks fun. Originally was just happy for his fans but he looks silly. He could wind up being a 3/5 if I hate how he plays lol.

:ultisabelle: 3/5 Honestly probably one of the most boring reveals in every way possible. But imo she's an upgrade to Villager so I will probably play her more.

:ultken:2/5 The only reason he's not a 1 is that he is faster than Ryu so I might enjoy him more than Ryu which makes him useful I guess...

:ultincinceroar:5/5 I debated this long and hard but yes, outside of Ridley, Incineroar is the newcomer I'm most looking forward to. Sakurai pulled him off great and he looks hilarious and fun. (Also bara cat daddy)

:ultpiranha:4/5 I'm not ready to give it a 5/5, but this thing is almost impossible for me to hate. I really wish it was just in the base roster though.

Overall my final score (using a 5 for Ridley) is 3.5 for the newcomers. Not too bad overall...

BUT WAIT!

BONUS VETERAN ROUND!

:ulticeclimbers: 5/5 I'm so hype for these cuties. I'm honestly all for fun gimmicky characters.

:ultpichu:5/5 This is the original joke character! Like I'm loving PP, but nothing beats Pichu and honestly after seeing "EVERYONE IS HERE" Pichu was the first character I was looking for.

:ultpokemontrainer:5/5 I always perferrerd Squirtly and Ivysaur to Charizard so this was amazing. I literally thought they never had a chance to come back. Also absolutely love the buffs they got regarding stamina.

:ultsnake: 4/5 I honestly never played a lot of Snake but this game has got me excited to try him again. Great to have him back.

:ultwolf:5/5 He's beautiful! Not gunna lie super gay for him, and he looks way more fun and unique than from Brawl.

:ultyounglink:1/5 ... Ok lol if it wasn't for "EVERYONE IS HERE" I'd put 0, but he had to come back. I just hate having three very similar Links, and that they continued to not differentiate him (especially his Final Smash). He literally should have come back as a Toon Link echo.

Well...now my final score for the 19 additional characters (Ridley at 5 and counting Squirtle and Ivy at 5 each)... 3.8, and with beautiful changes to veterans like Link, Zelda and Ganondorf, I can confidently round the score up to 4/5.

This roster is definitely ultimate.

Tldr I self endulge in my oppinions and geek about Ridley. I give the total newcomer and returning character additions a 4/5.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Everyone is saying this is Season One
But do we know that? I think it might just be this 5
(Sakurai needs a break, people)
Yeah, I feel like this is all we're getting for DLC, which is perfectly fine might I add, it's one more newcomer than what we got from Smash 4 DLC.

I feel like the three that Vergeben mentioned are probably all the 3rd party DLC characters we're getting too, word has gotten out so early about them because of negotiations and other studios being involved, I expect the other two to be 1st party characters and to only leak when development on them starts for real.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I think people are misinterpreting what Sakurai said.

Sakurai mentioned that XC2 was announced after the planning for Ultimate was finished, so Rex was unable to make the roster. He never specifically brought up DLC when he said this, so I don't think he was referring to DLC here. Unless Sakurai already knew who would be DLC roughly three years in advance, I think he was talking about how the base game was decided somewhere in early 2016.
I think he was saying that DLC was decided in advance, but not being developed until now

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
*DEVELOPMENT, not planning. The characters are already decided, we just don't know who they are.

The statement of "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning" is highly suspect. It could mean that DLC was decided on anywhere from the game's initial proposal (December 2015) until now, but it is incredibly likely that DLC has already been planned. I'd say it's likely that the DLC characters were decided as Sakurai negotiated for them. From that, it's very well possible the details for Minecraft content were ironed out way back then, and it's just now starting development.
Yeah I don't remember thay being said by Sakurai. Can I get uhhhhh source on that statement

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah, I feel like this is all we're getting for DLC, which is perfectly fine might I add, it's one more newcomer than what we got from Smash 4 DLC.

I feel like the three that Vergeben mentioned are probably all the 3rd party DLC characters we're getting too, word has gotten out so early about them because of negotiations and what not, I expect the other two to be 1st party characters.
Who are the three that Vergeben mentioned? Steve? SE? Someone else?

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft's music is honestly one of the best parts of the game. Relaxing as ****.

I think in general, our community here is kinda out of touch from what younger smash fans would really want. Minecraft, and yes Fortnite, would be probably two of the most popular DLCs they could possibly do.
Minecraft deserves it. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of it, but you can't deny its influence, even outside of the gaming landscape.
Fortnite… nope. A game that shamelessly copied another one with a few construction mechanics thrown in doesn't deserve acknowledgement in my book. I don't want to come across as salty but this is the way I feel about it.

NineS

Smash Lord
So then it's possible that they could've started planning on her being in the game when they partnered with them in early 2018 and may release her sometime in 2019 or 2020...but who knows
If this is the case, then it opens the possibility to characters after 2016. This means that not all of the DLC characters were planned as Sakurai originally said in an interview before the direct in which he said the opposite. I hope this is the case, but the question for me is whether it's 2B or not 2B.

D

Deleted member

Also the fact that Snake didn't go 'kept you waiting, huh' in the Everyone is Here trailer is the missed opportunity of the century
That reminds me: PLEASE let there be an updated version of that trailer with all 80 characters after all the DLC is announced!

99_Jydge

Smash Rookie
Where did it say that Piranha Plant would be getting a stage? I don't remember reading that anywhere. I was pretty sure that just the plant would be the free offer?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Who are the three that Vergeben mentioned? Steve? SE? Someone else?
Katalina from some Japanese mobile game or something. Granted it's not coming from his own sources, it's from someone else's, but he does say that he thinks the other guy is correct.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sakurai said in the direct that they havent started work on dlc characters, so they could put all their efforts towards the base game with the exception of piranha plant who probably just wasnt ready in time.
AKA, PR talk

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
:ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultrichter::ultdarksamus: still happened, so I wouldn't write her chances off completely.

It's not necessary, that's why he'd be DLC.
Yes, but I'm talking Japan-only stuff, in which case it's best to bring up :ultlucas:too.

In any case, Steve better look like the most fun character in the world, if I'm to consider trying him. When it comes to this series, even characters that annoy people can manage to get love. :ultduckhunt:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Just Steve, and SE
But one other guy that has Verge's blessing also mentioned Katalina from Granblue
Okay, that's what I thought. So a SE character, maybe Steve, maybe Katalina, and two others that probably no one will be expected, because Sakurai likes to shatter expectations

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Okay, that's what I thought. So a SE character, maybe Steve, maybe Katalina, and two others that probably no one will be expected, because Sakurai likes to shatter expectations
The last two will probably get spoiled by Verge in due time.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Katalina from some Japanese mobile game or something. Granted it's not coming from his own sources, it's from someone else's, but he does say that he thinks the other guy is correct.
Yes, Katalina is from Granblue Fantasy, and it is a Japanese mobile game (I've played the game). I thought it was from another source and not from Vergeben

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, I bet Sakurai picked Steve to give himself a challenge, seeing how the guy's perceived as not being too flexible or expressive, or having much to work with.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So I'm guessing that Platinum Granblue game is gonna be on Switch.
It probably will eventually come to the Switch. Maybe not at launch, but maybe a year or so later. Just guessing though

Pakky

Smash Hero
Also, I bet Sakurai picked Steve to give himself a challenge, seeing how the guy's perceived as not being too flexible or expressive, or having much to work with.
Lowkey I hope he has design liberties

Steve is charming in his simplicity but like... ew.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think another reason people are reaching that it has to be Sora at the VGA awards if that's a thing is because the announcement has to be ''OMG HUGE BIG"

No. This is Nintendo. Who announced playable Cranky Kong there for Tropical Freeze.

The biggest announcement they've done there I can think of is Bayonetta 3 and even that is one of their more cult/niche titles getting a sequel.

Nothing says a Square rep there has to be a big deal or even that if a DLC character got announced there they have to be megawatt.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Where did it say that Piranha Plant would be getting a stage? I don't remember reading that anywhere. I was pretty sure that just the plant would be the free offer?
You're right, the Direct never said the plant would get a stage. It's probably just misinformation. The 108 stages will probably be the five DLC stages that come with the five DLC characters

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I wouldn't mind. However, I think Banjo & Kazooie should be the Microsoft rep considering the fan support and PapaGenos source saying he's sure of B&K.
Is PapaGenos still sure? I thought he also firmly believed the leak. Or did he only beleive because he was sure of Banjo? At this point I think it's more likely his source was mistaken.

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
I think he was planned as free DLC. He really sticks out from the base roster.
I could see that honestly, but he also feels a lot like Duck Hunt to me. It honestly kind of sucks we never get to see the internal process later after everything is done, because corporate decisions vs PR face is a very interesting topic

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not sure I agree with the notion that all DLC characters were already decided and it's impossible for Gen 8/Three Houses to get a character, but I will say that this is probably all the DLC we're getting. There's likely no Wave 2 to this, and while I'd love to be wrong, I just don't see it happening at the pace they've set.

Seems like all characters will be in the game by 2020. I doubt that'll be enough time for a second bundle.

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about this for a little while by now and honestly, as long as Geno is still a costume for Mii Gunner, I'll be pleased enough with that outcome. Even outside of that he's at least an icon for the Battle Arena mode (or w/e it was called) and maybe a Spirit too so at the end of the day, him being acknowledged is what matters the most. I think that's the best way to look at this.

Also, I'm not gonna lie. The more I think about Steve's moveset potential, the more I want it to happen.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, but the Japanese blog translation...
"Super Smash Bros. Smash Bros. SPECIAL" has 74 battle fighters! More content with more content! What? New play "Spirits" is also open to the public!
Lol

Pakky

Smash Hero
World of light thought

What if :ultkrool: Shot :ultdk: out of the way of a beam before he was taken?

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
I think another reason people are reaching that it has to be Sora at the VGA awards if that's a thing is because the announcement has to be ''OMG HUGE BIG"

No. This is Nintendo. Who announced playable Cranky Kong there for Tropical Freeze.

The biggest announcement they've done there I can think of is Bayonetta 3 and even that is one of their more cult/niche titles getting a sequel.

Nothing says a Square rep there has to be a big deal or even that if a DLC character got announced there they have to be megawatt.
I think people are expecting a big announcement more because it's their first chance to sell their fighter pass.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
I think he was planned as free DLC. He really sticks out from the base roster.

I feel like he more properly represents the "Wtf is this?" character that Sakurai is so fond of. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was a low-priority character discussed early on, and in prior Smash's, would've been cut. All hail glorious DLC, though.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom