• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Can I just say that Zelda's look of determination is ****ing badass?

She's not a princess in a castle. She's not getting kidnapped. She sees a threat, grits her teeth and fights it.

I'm softening my stance on her redesign.
Zelda was bad ass in this trailer.

:ultmarth:That's a lot of Hands...
:ultzelda:Shut the **** up, Marth! Let's do this! LEROOOOOOOY JEEEENKIIIINSSS
:ultshulk:D-Did she just go in???

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I feel like the argument comes down to risk and reward. Is Square Enix willing to take a risk to get a larger reward? Or will they play it safe and get a lesser reward?

Something we’re not taking into account is wider popularity. KH has the advantage with worldwide popularity, and Sora has the advantage in traditional fan polls (specifically the ballot).

If Sakurai goes to Square Enix for Sora, will they deny him for a long con with a Dragon Quest character? One that might not even work? No way. Sora is popular and will make Square Enix a bunch of money.

Sora also seems to have an easier process for addition, as the Square Enix step is only through Normura. Sakurai invokes his relationship with Normura and asks for Sora. Normura agrees. Sakurai doesn’t have to work with Square Enix and instead works with Disney, who are pretty chill about Sora’s inclusion.

For a Dragon Quest character, no one has any idea how it works, but it involves working not only with Square Enix, but also Blue Sky Studios (Toriyama) and a separate one (I forget which). If you thought Square Enix was hard to work with? Try working with them alongside two other studios for one character.

It just doesn’t seem to be worth it.
I'd say it'd be worth it for the legacy Dragon Quest holds. It's a very important franchise, and it being in Smash is something I could see Sakurai wanting to do. I have no idea if it'd actually happen, but I believe it could (and should) happen. I mean, Sakurai gets to put one of the most legendary franchises ever in his game, and Square Enix gets some great exposure for DQ in the west. Again, I see it as a win-win.

Also, we have no idea if Sakurai went to Square Enix and asked for Sora. For all we know, he wanted a Dragon Quest character and is willing to go through all the trouble to make it happen. We don't really know what he has planned.

At this point, it's sort of a toss up. I can see pros and cons for both sides. It really all comes down to what Sakurai wants, and we'll find that out soon enough. I could very well be wrong and DQ is just not realizable in Smash, but I see too many good reasons for it happening to believe that's the case.

Sora probably has the upper hand, but I believe it's possible that DQ might have been chosen instead. Guess we'll just have to wait until the VGAs to find out. I'll be happy to admit I was wrong should DQ be excluded from Ultimate.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Might add that Galeem's japanese name is "Kiira" that can be read as "Killer", or "Kirakira" as shining, sparkling. No relation to Zero but it's a very Kirby-ish name I'd think
You see, it's a Death Note reference. Kira's real name is Light, hence Light World. :denzel:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Honestly, so many echoes look basically identical that it's kinda frustrating they didn't want to do more.

Daisy, Dark Samus, Richter and Dark Pit are basically the same character from what it looks like, and any differences they do have won't matter in the majority of situations.

Lucina and Ken have some changes that at least change a bit of how the base character plays.

And Chrom got to be special.
That's the point?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Well, "Galeem" quite literally is "Gleam", lol.
......God dammit. Ok Treehouse you got me. Wish the "Hoshi no Kirby" thing was able to be kept, but that's kinda hard. I guess "Land of Dreams" could be a solution but I also feel like that's way too much liberty....

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Before we get our hopes up (again) maybe we should think rationally (again) about what's been announced thus far.
We have five new character slots confirmed. No confirmation of multiple waves. At the price of DLC packs now, I don't see them doing much more than this; at least not for a long time.
Keeping in mind that Sakurai will be spreading these out across a year and using them to keep hype for the game, here's the spread out I'm predicting:

1. Geno. Unfortunately I don't see Sora due to licensing complications with Disney (looking into it, turns out Disney is the ones with rights to the Kingdom Hearts characters!), but Geno is an obvious inclusion. I think he'd be a great way to ease us into the first paid DLC passed the plant boi. It's a good sign that there's been no signs of the Mii Costume returning. Stage: Rose Town + Forest Maze
2. Skull Kid. Sliding out of the assist trophy room is a big deal for the little guy. Geno and Skull Kid would make a really great (Mario + Zelda) pack for people, and would be an exciting addition to the roster. I don't see people getting mad about this. Stage: Termina Village
3. Jibanyan. It's not exactly thrilling to see out here, but Japan loves this little guy! Luckily he's recognizable enough to appear as DLC since Yokai Watch is actually a decently popular show still, even in the US. It'd also be perfect timing to release around the time Yokai Watch 4 drops. Stage: Springdale
4. Lara Croft. You guys know me as the "Crazy guy who thinks Lara Croft would get into Smash" guy, which is totally fair... but, I still think she has potential to be a surprising guest character with a Nintendo history and an incredibly popular fanbase. Since she'd be dropping around Late 2019, it'd be a good way to reignite the fans around time for the holidays. Stage: The Temple
5. Banjo & Kazooie. The perfect character to send off the first wave of DLC and potentially the last character for Smash Ultimate. The hype of this character is insane, and the love the fans have for them is immeasurable. Making everyone smile is a great way to end of a wild and weird DLC set. Stage: Click-clock Wood (Could do Spiral Mountain!)

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Candidates I see most likely for DLC: A champion from BOTW, Celica, Elma, Sora/Crono/DQ character, Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie, A Bethesda rep, Blizzard rep, Heihachi, one or two very obscure characters.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Before we get our hopes up (again) maybe we should think rationally (again) about what's been announced thus far.
We have five new character slots confirmed. No confirmation of multiple waves. At the price of DLC packs now, I don't see them doing much more than this; at least not for a long time.
Keeping in mind that Sakurai will be spreading these out across a year and using them to keep hype for the game, here's the spread out I'm predicting:

1. Geno. Unfortunately I don't see Sora due to licensing complications with Disney (looking into it, turns out Disney is the ones with rights to the Kingdom Hearts characters!), but Geno is an obvious inclusion. I think he'd be a great way to ease us into the first paid DLC passed the plant boi. It's a good sign that there's been no signs of the Mii Costume returning. Stage: Rose Town + Forest Maze
2. Skull Kid. Sliding out of the assist trophy room is a big deal for the little guy. Geno and Skull Kid would make a really great (Mario + Zelda) pack for people, and would be an exciting addition to the roster. I don't see people getting mad about this. Stage: Termina Village
3. Jibanyan. It's not exactly thrilling to see out here, but Japan loves this little guy! Luckily he's recognizable enough to appear as DLC since Yokai Watch is actually a decently popular show still, even in the US. It'd also be perfect timing to release around the time Yokai Watch 4 drops. Stage: Springdale
4. Lara Croft. You guys know me as the "Crazy guy who thinks Lara Croft would get into Smash" guy, which is totally fair... but, I still think she has potential to be a surprising guest character with a Nintendo history and an incredibly popular fanbase. Since she'd be dropping around Late 2019, it'd be a good way to reignite the fans around time for the holidays. Stage: The Temple
5. Banjo & Kazooie. The perfect character to send off the first wave of DLC and potentially the last character for Smash Ultimate. The hype of this character is insane, and the love the fans have for them is immeasurable. Making everyone smile is a great way to end of a wild and weird DLC set. Stage: Click-clock Wood (Could do Spiral Mountain!)
Not sure if this is what u meant but Skull Kid is still a AT, he's listed on the official site as one

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
People call Kirby being the sole survivor Sakubias but I will defend that decision to the ground.

1) Kirby is intentionally designed to help new players get used to the game, and I imagine Mario would be the first unlock anyway for people who want a more balanced character.
2) If they went with Mario, we wouldn't have seen Nintendo's mascot himself get corrupted. Seeing this horrible version of the plumber we all know and love almost gave me chills.
3) Having a small, simple character like Kirby be the last one standing really helps make the desolation feel more foreboding. Like you're dealing with something greater then you are.
4) It's such a "Kirby" thing to happen to him. I'm getting strong Robobot and Star Allies vibes from this, and those aren't even Sakurai games.
5) Kirby fans will be furious if you don't make him godlike and impossible to kill. He's obviously the most powerful Nintendo character to ever exist. So what if he can be killed by an armless Waddle Dee by bumping into it too many times?

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
"ErmaiGawd Sakurai bais!!"
Love your posts, blindy defending your obvious bias towards the game and telling people how to act. Still, you are not to blame, this is a forum about smash so people like you are expected to be the vast majority but having an open mind about how peoples opinion can differ and for some, it might be trash, for others it might be meh and for others might be great would do wonders.

If something, people can keep on hyping however they want but proven facts showed us that literally, anything and nothing is possible.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
People call Kirby being the sole survivor Sakubias but I will defend that decision to the ground.

1) Kirby is intentionally designed to help new players get used to the game, and I imagine Mario would be the first unlock anyway for people who want a more balanced character.
2) If they went with Mario, we wouldn't have seen Nintendo's mascot himself get corrupted. Seeing this horrible version of the plumber we all know and love almost gave me chills.
3) Having a small, simple character like Kirby be the last one standing really helps make the desolation feel more foreboding. Like you're dealing with something greater then you are.
4) It's such a "Kirby" thing to happen to him. I'm getting strong Robobot and Star Allies vibes from this, and those aren't even Sakurai games.
5) Kirby fans will be furious if you don't make him godlike and impossible to kill. He's obviously the most powerful Nintendo character to ever exist. So what if he can be killed by an armless Waddle Dee by bumping into it too many times?
Kirby grows exponentially stronger with whatever being he is forced to face. This is a known face. The fact that the Warpstar has an emergency escape protocol, that he's only found a use for now, is showing of how monstrously strong whatever that winged beast is.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, what's with this game's "Light is not Good"?

Today on "Stuff Fandoms Say..."

(Read this from bottom to top)

Today's lesson? Learn to take a joke for what it is.​
I can't blame them, Smash is a serious business, it's not a gam- wait a minute.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Honestly, while I do kinda find it to be a mild case of "lolsakuraibias," it actually makes sense.
Galeem unleashes an attack that fires extremely fast homing lasers.
The only way to escape would be to go at near light speed (essentially teleport) instantly and at will across a huge amount of space.

While some characters have the means to travel near light speed, none could prepare in time.
While some characters have the means to teleport, none could travel the distance needed to escape.

Kirby, and his ridiculous cartoon physics, is the only one, in that extremely fringe situation, that would probably make it.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Look, maybe it's because of how the Direct was laid out, and you and I both can agree it was not paced very well. Some stuff wasn't really explained properly, and I can go on about it. Combine that with the sentiment of some deconfirmations and other stuff, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that idiotic going into this Direct thinking it would be fantastic considering it's Smash Ultimate and it'd be the "Final Smash Direct" for Ultimate.
I actually don't think the pacing was poor (aside from talking about brightness lel), but then again I had a pretty good idea of what was coming. We were openly told not to expect too many reveals and that they were slowing down. We did have these same lulls in 8.8 (talking about rules) and 50 fact (where it actually took up like 10 points talking about everything you could do in Options).

Of course Spirits mode was going to take up the bulk of the time because it's so anticipated. While I agree we don't fully understand it, I think part of it has to do with wanting to end with the trailer, so they didn't want to show off the menuing and spoiling the adventure mode. Right now it feels very theoretical because I don't know how it's going to be laid out. If we actually had the menuing, I don't think anyone would be as confused.

As for deconfirmations, Smash directs are literally the Infinity War and I'm surprised you went into it not expecting any (or at least that's how it sounds). Yes, they probably waited too long to show us Shadow and Isaac but it's not like they can show every AT day 1. Back for Smash 4 spec, we walked on bombs every day because you never knew if an AT confirmation would drop on the pic of the day. Trust me when I say this is so much easier.

Just so I can understand you a bit better, what were you coming into the direct anticipating?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
You know? I'm gonna admit something that I'm also a culprit of: We don't ****ing know who does or doesn't deserve to be in Smash. We never did, we never will. I can argue how much I want about how an anime character would ****ing ruin the game's beautiful concept and Sakurai can be all like "lmao i think i want this now". I mean, I can criticise the man for his choices of course, but in the end the only person who knows anything is Sakurai and only him.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

That last point that you crossed out is why I don't like the decision to have him the hero. Can he for once be on an equal playing field (story-wise) with the Smash cast and the fans accepting it?!!!

I had to live with far less :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?

Light isn't good or evil, it's what uses it.

That's what World of Warcraft says, at least.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Sakurai has a dream. That cool reps and outcast reps....can smash together...

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
You know? I'm gonna admit something that I'm also a culprit of: We don't ****ing know who does or doesn't deserve to be in Smash. We never did, we never will. I can argue how much I want about how an anime character would ****ing ruin the game's beautiful concept and Sakurai can be all like "lmao i think i want this now". I mean, I can criticise the man for his choices of course, but in the end the only person who knows anything is Sakurai and only him.
I can't believe this even needs to be said considering the state of the community back, what, 4 years ago? Like, did everyone just forget, or are there that many new members of the hype cycle? It wasn't that long ago the community was split because of things like Dark Pit and Bowser Jr that led to a lot of arguments about who deserves what. It's like watching history repeat itself.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Too much of a good thing is bad. Did you know that if you can be poisoned by water?

I feel like this is a Radiant Dawn Ashera situation were this ancient being of light or order or something wants to purify the world by destroying all life or whatever.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Maybe its just me, but I'm still hoping we see Echo Fighters as DLC..maybe cheap DLC or even, dare I say it, FREE DLC?

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Kirby didn't really face this thing with power, as we've seen even mostly impenetrable defenses got instantly shattered like glass and offense clearly didn't help the others mucj either.

Kirby had the fastest transportation vehicle that granted him flight and the ability to warp, not to mention it already being a small target. He got out because he was fortunate and he even looks dazed when we see him afterwards.

I'm guessing this thing is holy too? Otherwise, you'd see massive Zelda fans complaining that Ganon died when he's "unkillable".

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't believe this even needs to be said considering the state of the community back, what, 4 years ago? Like, did everyone just forget, or are there that many new members of the hype cycle? It wasn't that long ago the community was split because of things like Dark Pit and Bowser Jr that led to a lot of arguments about who deserves what. It's like watching history repeat itself.
I said there will be salt and I was right. It's not a "told you so" situation, last reveals are always disappointing. Not because their content but because everyone consciously or unconsciously saved all their hopes for that one last info dump.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did anyone noticed that K Rool's alternate color was changed in the latest trailer?

His red alt now has a green cape.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't like that last time they showed him

D

Deleted member

Love your posts, blindy defending your obvious bias towards the game and telling people how to act. Still, you are not to blame, this is a forum about smash so people like you are expected to be the vast majority but having an open mind about how peoples opinion can differ and for some, it might be trash, for others it might be meh and for others might be great would do wonders.

If something, people can keep on hyping however they want but proven facts showed us that literally, anything and nothing is possible.
And it's good to see that you can't take a joke.

I don't care what people think about the game. If they like it, cool. If they hate it, cool. If they don't care, cool. I'm well aware of differing opinions. I understand the feeling of disappointment from some people here, I do, but forgive me if I think some of them are being a bit over-dramatic about it.
This is a game, a good game, but a game nonetheless. But yet some here are acting like it's the end of the world because it didn't go their way, which is ridiculous.

So, sorry if it sound like I don't care what other people think about what I say here, because I don't.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

There's going to minecraft content, so either you need a Steve + minecraft stage DLC bundle, or a Banjo + minecraft stage DLC bundle, or both Banjo and Minercfat bundles separately.

NineS

Smash Lord
Kirby didn't really face this thing with power, as we've seen even mostly impenetrable defenses got instantly shattered like glass and offense clearly didn't help the others mucj either.

Kirby had the fastest transportation vehicle that granted him flight and the ability to warp, not to mention it already being a small target. He got out because he was fortunate and he even looks dazed when we see him afterwards.

I'm guessing this thing is holy too? Otherwise, you'd see massive Zelda fans complaining that Ganon died when he's "unkillable".
As a Zelda fan, a massive one, I don't think any of them are triggered. Not about that, anyway.

Not to mention, you know... Ganondorf wasn't shown at all.

also, as a massive zelda fan, it's also my duty to tell you that you mean "ganondorf", not ganon. that's his beast form.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
But when Piranha Plant is also getting his own stage and music, which has been confirmed, you can't really help but to also include him amongst the rest of the Fighter Pass characters.
Eh, not really. That’s not how I see it, anyway.

osby

Smash Obsessed
My boi wasn't in the trailer, not even in the ominous possessed characters wideshot.

What are they planning for him?!!!
A lot of characters weren't in it, though... maybe some creators weren't cool with it? I can see this being the case for, say Isabelle or Cloud but what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom