• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It is but I wish they all could be like Chrom.

Like I'm glad Daisy is a fighter but what is so special about her that meant she couldn't be a costume this time?
Things like taunts and idle poses and whatnot. Those types of things aren't allowed to change with costumes, as shown by Alph and the Koopalings. Echo Fighters can have their personalities come through more easily.

Ken destroyed any last idea of what I thought an echo could be after seeing he was faster than Ryu though. :p

D

Deleted member

Maybe they just won't want to kill Yoshi?

...Why are you complaining about Yoshi not dying?
I'm thinking the reason we didn't see some characters like Yoshi die on screen is because either they didn't show us the full cinematic or they were simply killed off screen.

Zinith Zinith You seem rather comfortable with seeing your #1 character die lol.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Nope, and he doubled down today. Doubt him at your own risk, I don't think it's a very good idea anymore.
Too bad his Minecraft content didn't show up then today, ain't it?

He also didn't peg the only DLC we know of so far, so I'm calling VeggieTales is out of steam.

Besides that, we have only a few things Minecraft content could be for:
- Music. Why bother if you're not gonna license anything else from the game (beyond that, is Minecraft known for it's music? No.)
- Assist Trophy. Doubtful considering they gave us a definitive number.
- Stage. See Assist Trophy.
- Spirit. Again, why bother to pay the licensing fee for a character from a rival company when if you're not even gonna use the character?
- Boss. Don't make me laugh. What are we gonna get, a giant Creeper?
- Mii Costume. I'll admit this one's actually a possibility, but it would be uncanny to look at as it wouldn't match Minecraft's iconic choppy animation style, and this seems like something they would've spotlighted in the direct.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Ganon's part of that statement is true though.

It gets overblown a lot, but he can indeed be put down and harmed by things other than a femboy elf and some magical god piss.
Mario just like....punches him, though. It isn’t really reflective of the capabilities afforded him by the triforce of power.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
in a word: recovery.
from gameplay i've seen there are A LOT of moves sending at that vicious 45 to -45 degree angle. not to mention offstage gameplay from high-level players. chrome has no horizontal recovery. i watched the treehouse players edge guard chrome with ease using Isabelle and king k.
That was my primary concern, yeah.

Ike has his sideB, but Chrom's sideB doesn't do the same thing. He'll need to hit hard and dominate the middle of the stage if he's going to be legitimately viable.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The question is what's going on with Square Enix, because apparently they aren't happy about something going on right now.
What's your source for this? Vergeben (and Senrou?) said something like was happening a week or two ago, but as far as I know there's nothing currently.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Because it didn't happen on-screen.

Zinith Zinith I can't believe you want to see your main man get ****ing disintegrated Infinity Wars style.
But I at least want him to be noticed in these storylines for a change. Yes, it may be heartbreaking for me to see him get disintegrated, but it's better than having him disintegrated unceremoniously with barely anyone noticing.

And it's not just Smash. He's been getting the short end of the stick in MARIO spin-offs. He wasn't even in the Story mode for Mario Tennis Aces

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Wait what? Pikachu was ABSOLUTELY there!!! Remember the Sonic and Pikachu scene? The thread was talking about it for like 5 pages!!!

And the point was that having this overall focus on the OG 8 (the starters, the main menu, the dock, etc.) is imo pretty shallow if one of those characters is noticeably left out...
At this point I think it's important to accept that in Sakurai's eyes it's actually the og 7 and Yoshi

D

Deleted member

I actually don't think the pacing was poor (aside from talking about brightness lel), but then again I had a pretty good idea of what was coming. We were openly told not to expect too many reveals and that they were slowing down. We did have these same lulls in 8.8 (talking about rules) and 50 fact (where it actually took up like 10 points talking about everything you could do in Options).

Of course Spirits mode was going to take up the bulk of the time because it's so anticipated. While I agree we don't fully understand it, I think part of it has to do with wanting to end with the trailer, so they didn't want to show off the menuing and spoiling the adventure mode. Right now it feels very theoretical because I don't know how it's going to be laid out. If we actually had the menuing, I don't think anyone would be as confused.

As for deconfirmations, Smash directs are literally the Infinity War and I'm surprised you went into it not expecting any (or at least that's how it sounds). Yes, they probably waited too long to show us Shadow and Isaac but it's not like they can show every AT day 1. Back for Smash 4 spec, we walked on bombs every day because you never knew if an AT confirmation would drop on the pic of the day. Trust me when I say this is so much easier.

Just so I can understand you a bit better, what were you coming into the direct anticipating?
There's two routes I went into going in:

If the Grinch Leak was Real
  • Ken, Shadow, Isaac, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Mach Rider and Chorus Kids confirmed. They would all get spread out amongst the Direct, like have Mach Rider first, get the echoes out, have "two more new fighters" in the realm of Chorus Kids and Isaac, then at the very end have a combined trailer of Geno and Banjo-Kazooie, like the Kencineroar trailer.
  • Spirits mode being a good balance between Subspace and Melee's Adventure mode. Possibly cutscenes?
  • Huge improvements over online.
  • No confirmation of DLC, saved for The Game Awards with the Sora reveal.
  • Stuff like Event Mode, Home-Run Contest, and other single player content.
  • The rest of the Assist Trophies and any last deconfirmations.
  • Any last tidbits of the game, like trophies, music or such.
  • Fanbases leaving very happy and everyone was listened to.
If the Grinch Leak WAS NOT Real
  • Ken and Incineroar confirmed, those being the first to be shown.
  • Spirits mode being a good balance between Subspace and Melee's Adventure mode. Possibly cutscenes?
  • Hopefully any improvements over online.
  • Confirmation of DLC with a tease of a BIG character, then to be shown at The Game Awards.
  • The rest of the Assist Trophies and any deconfirmations.
  • Sakurai listening to the Fighter Ballot some more to an extent.
  • Fanbases hopefully leaving happy?
What I Got
  • Ken and Incineroar confirmed, those being the first to be shown. After some time, and honestly after and hour, I grew to love these two. I think Incineroar is justified enough, and especially with the recent news of his VA also being Old Joseph and Heihachi's VA, who unfortunately died. I'm really glad Unsho's last role was on the grandest stage of them all.
  • Spirits mode being an okay(?) balance between Subspace and Melee's Adventure mode. I guess we got cutscenes?
  • Some... improvements for online?
  • No confirmation of stuff like Event Mode, Home-Run Contest, or any other single player content.
  • Assist trophies, but had deconfirmations for characters that I felt so bad for people, such as Shadow and Isaac.
  • No trophies.
  • Time spent way too long on stuff like options and fluff that shouldn't really be in a NINTENDO DIRECT of all things.
  • Rex & Pyra deconfirmed, one of mine, AND A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S, biggest wants.
  • Geno in jeopardy? I don't even know. I wanna believe that Spirits doesn't deconfirm any character, but after the Rex deconfirmation, I'm kinda just deflated.
  • Confirmation of DLC, but they didn't even show a single tease at ALL. I'm really hoping that Sakurai brings a reveal at The Game Awards. Don't get me wrong, though, a stage, character, and several tracks? For $5.99? Hey, it's a dollar less than Smash 4's DLC, so I'm in. That is something at I can at least vibe with.
  • Piranha Plant. Now don't get me wrong, PLANT. IS. FINE. I like him, but the sentiment of him being prioritized over characters who've been wanting for such a long time, like Isaac, Shadow, and even recent big hits like Rex & Pyra, is what is VERY disappointing.
Do you see where I'm coming from now, hopefully?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Though tbh, Ness dying is a bit of a hard pill to swallow.

Shulk, he doesn't have the Monada III, so all is well amd I can understand.

But Ness? Damn.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
SmashBoards theory: How much does Zinith Zinith love Yoshi if he's disappointed he didn't get to see Yoshi die on screen???????

*insert clickbait images here*

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

He also didn't peg the only DLC we know of so far, so I'm calling VeggieTales is out of steam.

- Music. Why bother if you're not gonna license anything else from the game (beyond that, is Minecraft known for it's music? No.)
- Spirit. Again, why bother to pay the licensing fee for a character from a rival company when if you're not even gonna use the character?
He doesn't claim to know everything and never has.

No minecraft today doesn't disprove him because DLC is a thing. It's the same deal with the square enix rep. If your're enough of a hater that you don't believe him yet then nothing will change your mind, you're just gonna have to take the L when some sort of minecraft content is revealed, which is most likely for DLC.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
in a word: recovery.
from gameplay i've seen there are A LOT of moves sending at that vicious 45 to -45 degree angle. not to mention offstage gameplay from high-level players. chrome has no horizontal recovery. i watched the treehouse players edge guard chrome with ease using Isabelle and king k.
Yeah that's my one main concern. While factually, at a fundamental level, Chrom WILL space better... that recovery is a huge step downwards from Roy's which could be angled straight up or horizontally making it a great combo and kill option. Chrom's looks like it won't kill at all and does a HUGELY telegraphed swing before going straight up and then down.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I have never and will never care about what leaker said what and why people seem to take sides and defend them like alma maters.

That said.

The only knowledge we have is that the season pass will include five characters, each with a stage and music. There's no reason to believe that none of these five slots belong to Minecraft. And while the Verge guy missed some stuff, nothing he has said has been explicitly wrong yet. And the way sources work, you don't always get all the information. But just because you don't have all the information doesn't mean the information you have is wrong.

I personally hope we don't see any Minecraft in the game, but. Y'know. Second highest selling game of all time behind Tetris and all.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
There's two routes I went into going in:

If the Grinch Leak was Real
  • Ken, Shadow, Isaac, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Mach Rider and Chorus Kids confirmed. They would all get spread out amongst the Direct, like have Mach Rider first, get the echoes out, have "two more new fighters" in the realm of Chorus Kids and Isaac, then at the very end have a combined trailer of Geno and Banjo-Kazooie, like the Kencineroar trailer.
  • Huge improvements over online.
  • No confirmation of DLC, saved for The Game Awards with the Sora reveal.
  • The rest of the Assist Trophies and any last deconfirmations.
  • Fanbases leaving very happy and everyone was listened to.
If the Grinch Leak WAS NOT Real
  • Ken and Incineroar confirmed, those being the first to be shown.
  • Hopefully any improvements over online.
  • Confirmation of DLC with a tease of a BIG character, then to be shown at The Game Awards.
  • The rest of the Assist Trophies and any deconfirmations.
  • Sakurai listening to the Fighter Ballot some more to an extent.
  • Fanbases hopefully leaving happy?
What I Got
  • Ken and Incineroar confirmed, those being the first to be shown. After some time, and honestly after and hour, I grew to love these two. I think Incineroar is justified enough, and especially with the recent news of his VA also being Old Joseph and Heihachi's VA, who unfortunately died. I'm really glad Unsho's last role was on the grandest stage of them all.
  • Spirits mode being an okay(?) balance between Subspace and Melee's Adventure mode. I guess we got cutscenes?
  • Some... improvements for online?
  • No confirmation of stuff like Event Mode, Home-Run Contest, or any other single player content.
  • Assist trophies, but had deconfirmations for characters that I felt so bad for people, such as Shadow and Isaac.
  • No trophies.
  • Time spent way too long on stuff like options and fluff that shouldn't really be in a NINTENDO DIRECT of all things.
  • Rex & Pyra deconfirmed, one of mine, AND A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S, biggest wants.
  • Geno in jeopardy? I don't even know. I wanna believe that Spirits doesn't deconfirm any character, but after the Rex deconfirmation, I'm kinda just deflated.
  • Confirmation of DLC, but they didn't even show a single tease at ALL. I'm really hoping that Sakurai brings a reveal at The Game Awards. Don't get me wrong, though, a stage, character, and several tracks? For $5.99? Hey, it's a dollar less than Smash 4's DLC, so I'm in. That is something at I can at least vibe with.
  • Piranha Plant. Now don't get me wrong, PLANT. IS. FINE. I like him, but the sentiment of him being prioritized over characters who've been wanting for such a long time, like Isaac, Shadow, and even recent big hits like Rex & Pyra, is what is VERY disappointing.
Do you see where I'm coming from now, hopefully?
What you got seems awfully similar to scenario 2, save some minor differences.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dark Samus actually being statistically floatier than Samus, let's go. I hope.
Nope.
Some guy compared the two using footage released and they have the exact same fall speeds.
The "floatiness" Dark Samus applies only to her miscellaneous animations, and doesn't affect gameplay.

I mean, DO WE REALLY NEED SAMUS TO BE EVEN FLOATIER THAN SHE ALREADY IS?

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Mario just like....punches him, though. It isn’t really reflective of the capabilities afforded him by the triforce of power.
And Mario has also punted castles and can obliterate tanks by slamming his ass down onto them as well as give a large dragon a concussion.

Little Mac is a better comparison cause he's legit a weakling compared to even the Star Fox characters

Starbound

@TotsBS So if I'm reading your notes right (which tbh we have evidence I suck at tonight), we basically got your fake Grinch route with a shoddy Spirits explanation, no side modes, a slew of deconfirmations and a plant.

Does that sound right?

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
I wonder who the 5 DLC characters will be and if we'll be getting more characters added afterwards. Maybe Chocobo may still have a chance after all. Especially with the way things are going with such strange unpredictable inclusions.

Any who, time for me to go back to lurking! I do enjoy being more of a listener than a talker. Everyone's discussions here are pretty enjoyable to sit through~

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
  • Piranha Plant. Now don't get me wrong, PLANT. IS. FINE. I like him, but the sentiment of him being prioritized over characters who've been wanting for such a long time, like Isaac, Shadow, and even recent big hits like Rex & Pyra, is what is VERY disappointing
Heresy, anime boobs are temporary. Based Plant is eternal.

Sorry, I had to, I understand disappointment from all this stuff, even if I disagree with you on a few things

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If poor recovery is the price Chrom has to pay in exchange for a sword that actually acts like a sword, I'll take it. :p

Hell I co-mained Little Mac last time, so I should be fine.

D

Deleted member

So, to everyone here, who is you favorite Echo Fighter? Mine is :ultdarksamus:, but Ken and :ultrichter: look interesting.

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, for me, the hardest part is going to be the wait for Plant to come out.

I seriously want to mess with that *******, and by then we'll most assuredly know who our first REAL DLC character is, between the VGAs or a January Direct.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Something I discussed with my friend is that we crafted a possible ending that involved a Friend/Ally Train like in the Star Alloes boss to just piledrive the entire roster through this God's metaphysical frame or whatever It's body is.

Last edited:

Starbound

At this point, for me, the hardest part is going to be the wait for Plant to come out.

I seriously want to mess with that *******, and by then we'll most assuredly know who our first REAL DLC character is, between the VGAs or a January Direct.
You know, at this point it could be like

idk Bulborb

and I wouldn't be surprised

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

Heck yeah plant looks dope af, I hope he isn't out any later than February.

Noipoi

Howdy!
And that's why I think it would be better for HIM to be the hero since he's the underdog of the original cast...
Slow down there, pal. If anyone should've been the hero, I think it should've been Mario. But that evil Mario is awesome, and Kirby would be my second choice.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, to everyone here, who is you favorite Echo Fighter? Mine is :ultdarksamus:, but Ken and :ultrichter: look interesting.
As an actual character, Richter
Aesthetically, Dark Samus
Gameplay wise, Ken.

Boy, if Dark Samus did her crazy Prime 3 ****, you KNOW I'd be on her like peanut butter on jelly.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Today's Fighter is Incineroar.

Story Mode's starter character is the fighter they show with Mario since day one.

No suprises here.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
He doesn't claim to know everything and never has.

No minecraft today doesn't disprove him because DLC is a thing. It's the same deal with the square enix rep. If your're enough of a hater that you don't believe him yet then nothing will change your mind, you're just gonna have to take the L when some sort of minecraft content is revealed, which is most likely for DLC.
I don't hate him. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Minecraft content was shaky from the beginning.

They've pretty much revealed everything they've deemed as important enough to reveal in the Direct. If Minecraft content of any kind was there, you damn well know it would've been placed in there due to how big the franchise is in gaming history, but you know what?

Sakurai deemed the Help menu and a brightness slider more important. Not to mention that fact Vergeben was caught lying today, claiming he knew about Piranha Plant when all he gave was a vague "It's a Nintendo character" answer. If he really knew, then he would have said something along the lines of "It's an unexpected character/It's a Mario character/It's Piranha Plant." He knew about every other character (sans Richter) and yet he claims this bull? No. I have never believed we'd get Minecraft content and I will not believe it until I see it with my own two eyes, Vegeta-ben be damned.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not convinced we're getting anything at VGA for Smash DLC anyways.

It makes no sense. If Piranha Plant is what they're working on to get him ready for I'm assuming a February release date. Then I'd wager we're looking at a DLC fighter every 2 months? Thus the next fighter after him would be in April.

Why tease or share information about something that far off in December?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Slow down there, pal. If anyone should've been the hero, I think it should've been Mario. But that evil Mario is awesome, and Kirby would be my second choice.
It does make sense why its Kirby though being Sakurai created him. In a way I do agree I honestly feel Mario should had escaped alongside Kirby and they're the first two you start with.

I honestly still expected the Original 8 would had escaped.

Then again though at the same time I'm maybe glad Kirby was the only one then I wouldn't be trying to make Kirby as the Last Smasher a meme in response to Rocket Raccoon being the Last Guardian. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom