• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
Well yes but this is the confirmed final Smash direct. Unless you mean we only get to see it on the game itself? But I really doubt that is the case
The 50 fact extravaganza wasn't really a direct, they just kinda uploaded it one day.

D

Deleted member

Would it be a safe assumption to say Ultimate's DLC will be 3rd party characters considering they were planned much earlier and that they come with stages and music associated with them?
Piranha Plant was just confirmed as a playable character. While I love the idea of him and how he looks, I don't think its safe to assume anything at this point. Are more 3rd parties likely? Square is pretty likely, so sure, why not? But for all 5 of them to be 3rd party? I wouldn't take that bet. We've got a lot of characters that can still be playable from existing 1st party franchises.
Another Mario rep isn't impossible (plenty from main series or they could grab someone from Paper Mario)
Another Zelda rep is definitely possible (they could do Impa as a unique or semi-clone rather than a straight Echo)
Another Final Fantasy/Square rep is easy (Sephiroth; Terra or Celes from VI, Crono from Chrono Trigger, any MC or even Jade from Dragon Quest)
Another Pokemon in the form of an Ultra Beast or Necrozma
Another Sonic character (I know people wanted Shadow, but Tails, Metal Sonic, or even Dr. Eggman could easily be brought in to much applause)
Another Fire Emblem character is probably one of the easiest to actually do
The list goes on

Its not impossible, but I sincerely doubt all 5 would be 3rd party characters. To be honest, I'm surprised there wasn't something that catered more solely to Japanese Audiences.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Um, we just had a fire drill in the dorm...

...Kencineroar, is that you?

Came back home... watched the Direct...

:p
Just a bit sad we didn't get Geno tbh...

Piranha Plant tho... here's our wtf character i guess? (shoutout to UberMadman UberMadman for calling it, he called Petey Piranha but... close enough). A bit disappointed for Skull Kid, he has met a terrible fate (he and the Moon are separate ATs!?!, that's weird, at least put them together as one AT, i mean making the moon fall is kind of his signature move... also it kind of gave me false hopes about his chances but eh). Still i'm happy for Incineroar and Ken supporters/fans and super hype for the game.

Spirits mode looks good imo, the cinematic trailer was EPIC! I really hope there's more CGI cutscenes in the mode itself !!

As for DLCs, it reopens the possibilities for many characters, you know what this means... Back in speculation mode!!!

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
The real question:

Who will be bumping her booty against daisys booty in the banner?

One of the 5 dlc characters has to be female. Or is it possible... will it be piranha plant???

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
Am I the only one who actually likes Piranha Plant? At first, I was slightly disappointed but then he "grew" on me, he looks very interesting and I can't wait to try him out.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If ‘we’ is referring to the smash community as a whole, I highly doubt that.
I'm not a fan of this "self-loathing" attitude that crops up. A vocal minority, now matter how vocal (and it's very high) should not be representative of the entire community.

I don't want to be lumped in with those assholes. If I am, I'd rather not be a part of it.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Question; can I still get Piranha Plant for free if I register my game even though I got my digital copy from Amazon?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ya know, I just..........need........to process all of this.

Box theory, the HATED theory, ends up being true.

Blog/Music/Chairs all BTFO'd

Vergeben is so far right and could be more or less 100% by the time that DLC is done

Ken leak was 100% Legit

Grinch leak was most likely a hoax by MTP

A ****ING PIRANHA PLANT?!

Ya know............ I don't think I'll ever forget today. I got mah boi. Rejoice, Noipoi Noipoi , lightdrago lightdrago , @GoldenYuiitusin , we ****ing won.
It feels good, especially after all the hate he got. He'll definitely get more but I don't care at this point. He's in, that's all I need.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The real question:

Who will be bumping her booty against daisys booty in the banner?

One of the 5 dlc characters has to be female. Or is it possible... will it be piranha plant???
Or it can be a guy. Equal rights for all genders!

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
So with relevancy and importance both flushed down the toilet...

What are your guys' nobody picks?
not exactly a nobody, as he's a fairly common recurring character, but compared to the many other characters from final fantasy and square in general that would get in before him he might as well be.
morphing time.png
"For Gilgamesh...it is Smashing time!"
all these legendary blades in one game are just begging to be added to his collection

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So with relevancy and importance both flushed down the toilet...

What are your guys' nobody picks?
Give me Makoto Yuki or give me death. Just... preferably not with his original model like Akira got.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Alright what Mario character should we add in Smash Ultimate? Waluigi? Nah, Paper Mario? Nah, Geno? Nah, Piranha Plant? Ah hell yeah!

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I'm not a fan of this "self-loathing" attitude that crops up. A vocal minority, now matter how vocal (and it's very high) should not be representative of the entire community.

I don't want to be lumped in with those ********. If I am, I'd rather not be a part of it.
It's not a vocal minority though. It's a very large majority.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I just realized that DLC is going to be so savage this time.

We had no idea how many character we could get for Smash 4, and people were thinking we'd get like 10-15.

And people were thinking there'd be at least 12 DLC characters this time.

But no. There's 5 DLC characters. And that might be it.

This is like the fiercest competition in Smash speculation ngl.
I kinda like it tbh. I've accepted the limited capability a Smash roster can do to satisfy people. 80 characters is a perfect number, and i cant believe we are even getting that kind of number in the first place.

If rather get 5 really well thought out characters, than a constant stream of characters to bloat the roster.

On the flipside, a lot of big characters got deconfirmed at least by AT so we don't have to worry about DLC being repped by their franchises (not crapping on those franchises, just from a speculation point of view)

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
the forest maze from mario rpg and the large amount of mario rpg music not in smash would beg to differ lol
Huh! I didn't know there was Mario RPG music in the game. Guess I wasn't paying attention.. oops! my bad.
If Sakurai says he wanted him in, and he's not. Don't you think the matter is Square related. Maybe he did try but couldn't, and after all these years of trying he decided to drop it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I mean, I know there are some people who would rather know right off the bat, but I think most people agree that having the surprises is good.

Even if it's all the same in the end, the point of surprise reveals is to act as somewhat of a spaced out, spontaneous release. Revealing things right off the bat results in a massive release, followed by sheer nothingness. It's better this way, IMO.

And, I mean, he even clarified that people should only buy the DLC Pass if they're confident they'll get what they like, which is why I'm gonna buy it.
I'm not usually one to buy Season Passes (not because I don't like them, but because I only have so much money).

I bought the FighterZ pass, but that was only because it happened to be on sale on the PS Store at the same time I was buying Cities: Skylines on my PS4 and I had the money to spend.

Well, regardless we have months to decide whether or not Smash's Season Pass is worth it.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So glad that the “just a goomba with a hat” argument is officially dead.

Bring on the Dee

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Ya know, I just..........need........to process all of this.

Box theory, the HATED theory, ends up being true.

Blog/Music/Chairs all BTFO'd

Vergeben is so far right and could be more or less 100% by the time that DLC is done

Ken leak was 100% Legit

Grinch leak was most likely a hoax by MTP

A ****ING PIRANHA PLANT?!

Ya know............ I don't think I'll ever forget today. I got mah boi. Rejoice, Noipoi Noipoi , lightdrago lightdrago , @GoldenYuiitusin , we ****ing won.
I never gave up for a second. I can't wait until the game is out now. Maining Incineroar will the best thing I ever do.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
The more i think about it - to me it makes a lot of sense if one of the DLC Packs was Jack Frost with New SMT Stage and Music. Atlus have a very close relationship with Nintendo and SMT has appeared a lot on Nintendo platforms and with SMTV being an exclusive i could see a Jack Frost reveal in order to concide with SMNT V

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused at the people who did want the game and now don't. I thought we unanimously agreed that this game was going to be great after Ridley was revealed. I don't recall anyone saying "This game looks great but if my character doesn't get in or if they reveal a plant I'm not getting it"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Holy **** Final Fantasy doesn’t even have an Assist Trophy. Square is literally the only reason why I have no hope for Geno as DLC. I just don’t see them allowing him to be playable over their most notable characters. Plus they’re stingy as ****.
Final Fantasy...:ultcloud:, a stage, 2 songs, I think some spirits...yeah he’s doing worse at giving out content than the others
Piranha Plant was just confirmed as a playable character. While I love the idea of him and how he looks, I don't think its safe to assume anything at this point. Are more 3rd parties likely? Square is pretty likely, so sure, why not? But for all 5 of them to be 3rd party? I wouldn't take that bet. We've got a lot of characters that can still be playable from existing 1st party franchises.
Another Mario rep isn't impossible (plenty from main series or they could grab someone from Paper Mario)
Another Zelda rep is definitely possible (they could do Impa as a unique or semi-clone rather than a straight Echo)
Another Final Fantasy/Square rep is easy (Sephiroth; Terra or Celes from VI, Crono from Chrono Trigger, any MC or even Jade from Dragon Quest)
Another Pokemon in the form of an Ultra Beast or Necrozma
Another Sonic character (I know people wanted Shadow, but Tails, Metal Sonic, or even Dr. Eggman could easily be brought in to much applause)
Another Fire Emblem character is probably one of the easiest to actually do
The list goes on

Its not impossible, but I sincerely doubt all 5 would be 3rd party characters. To be honest, I'm surprised there wasn't something that catered more solely to Japanese Audiences.
Tails...not too sure about him at this point (Eggman yeah)

D

Deleted member

I don't want to be lumped in with those ********. If I am, I'd rather not be a part of it.
I agree, but i do think it’s worth pointing out that people who get really angry at others to the point of inanity do exist in our community.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm confused at the people who did want the game and now don't. I thought we unanimously agreed that this game was going to be great after Ridley was revealed. I don't recall anyone saying "This game looks great but if my character doesn't get in or if they reveal a plant I'm not getting it"
Give 'em time.

I felt the same way after the ESRB leak in Smash4, but I came around to it after my head cooled off.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think everyone who was right about the box theory has the right to send death threats to everyone who didn’t and get away with it. I mean, it happened to them.
Your one-man crusade is doing nothing but making you look ridiculous tbh.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Sakurai has abandoned us.
That's literally the opposite of what is currently happening.
I still can't get over Pirhana Plant. Just... why? Out of the literal dozens upon dozens of options of characters why this? Even a Koopa would have worked better.
I disagree.

Piranha Plants have a lot of variety, and they're a pretty cool enemy.

IMO, I don't think a Koopa would work better, especially since we already have Bowser and Squirtle. Piranha Plant is something completely unique, with a lot of cool moves, as well as a unique physique for a Smash fighter.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's not a vocal minority though. It's a very large majority.
I'd love to see the statistics. Outside of that, I feel like vocal is being confused with majority. The silent majority are most likely decent people, because I'm optimistic about humanity in general. It's the problem I had with the attitude of many insiders--the ones I heard conflated the harassers with most of those who believed the Grinch banner.

And it's not hypocritical--even those insiders were a vocal minority. The majority of insiders I suspect were more humble and conciliatory, but we don't hear from them because they're not vocal.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The people claiming they're no longer buying the game because of their favourite not being in are lying to themselves or less mature than a fetus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom