• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
On the smash site, there is an "And even more modes!" note at the bottom, this makes me think that they just haven't shown off HRC yet for whatever reason.
They didn't show it off until the 50 fact extravaganza in Smash 4.
I hope for stage builder...OH PLEEZ STAGE BUILDER.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
On the smash site, there is an "And even more modes!" note at the bottom, this makes me think that they just haven't shown off HRC yet for whatever reason.
They didn't show it off until the 50 fact extravaganza in Smash 4.
Well that’s gonna be rad when we see it, maybe that will coincide with something cool or maybe a look into the next DLC character... Maybe also petition Nintendo to make like seasonal dlc passes. Like season one or season two

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sad that this had to be the reality, but with every veteran returning and Ridley and K. Rool being in the game, I'm happy.
Meek voice in the back: I'm not.
Everyone else: Shut up, Steve,

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Anyways I always wondered if the ?! in that “Pirana plant joins the battle” was meant to be serious or not...

It would be wild as **** if they lied about making a character and revealed somebody else

Last edited:

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
So with relevancy and importance both flushed down the toilet...

What are your guys' nobody picks?
Heracross. Because the law is that Pokemon has to force [most recent gen] rep in each Smash game, this will never happen, but it would be awesome.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Forgive me for a second but I'm gonna have to vent for one second:

Screw Sakurai for lying about not planning DLC before the release of the game. The man has been a lot more good to us than we have deserved but he's still deserves to get called out if he's going to say some sweet nothings and then do what the rest of the industry does on a daily basis. Not revealing the characters on the Season Pass is a damn joke as well but at least he was straight up with the amount of content we'd get.

Sorry, I'm just salty as ****ing hell over Rex being deconfirmed.
He didn't though. He said they planned DLC only recently in the Direct. So when he said they had no DLC plans before, he wasn't lying. They weren't planning it before, but now they are. Simple as that.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Ok Real Talk.. Smashboards is probably still the best place to talk about Smash Bros. even with the aftershocks of today's direct.

Lets be real here look at the Alternatives:

GameFAQs- Mostly a bunch of trolls and obsessive maniacs
REEEEEEra- They'd rather talk about far left politics than video games and smash is no Exception
Smash Wiki- Fart sniffing hypocrites
Reddit- Is Reddit, need i say more
And any of the Chan Boards- You get the idea..

Right now we may be bickering a bit but imagine how much worse those other places have to be to make this still seem like paradise. And at the end of the day we probably are all gonna walk away not hating each other.. That is FAR more than you can say about the other websites. So how about instead of bickering over each others opinons we take a breather for a moment and appreciate what we have. A Sane and Stable Smash Community forged through hell to become the best goddamn fan website out there!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So with relevancy and importance both flushed down the toilet...

What are your guys' nobody picks?
I'd give mine, but I'd rather not give Sakurai any ideas. He really can make any character a playable character in Smash (for better or for worse). :chuckle:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Random thought but: when was Tropical Freeze developed? We know Sakurai intervened and made them change the plot since he wanted to use K. Rool in Smash, right? Did the ballot even do anything?
W-What? I just ran a search for this and all it says it was about the Tropical Freeze port, not the actual game back on the Wii U

And even then I just... highly doubt it

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So we're getting Rayman fo sho.

Also a small 'teehee', Shantae did get in... kinda.
Well... we'll see.

And yeah, never said she wouldn't, just that she'd be lucky to be an AT, and she wouldn't be playable. Glad she's there in some form.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
*idly wonders if it would have been considered good marketing to have told the fans who the 5 DLC characters are going to be during the Direct*

Sakurai did say that he knows people don't like dipping into Season Passes because there's no guarantee you'll get something you like.

I'm looking forward to EVO 2019 when this moment is recreated somehow in Smash Bros. :laugh:
I mean, I know there are some people who would rather know right off the bat, but I think most people agree that having the surprises is good.

Even if it's all the same in the end, the point of surprise reveals is to act as somewhat of a spaced out, spontaneous release. Revealing things right off the bat results in a massive release, followed by sheer nothingness. It's better this way, IMO.

And, I mean, he even clarified that people should only buy the DLC Pass if they're confident they'll get what they like, which is why I'm gonna buy it.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
But Smash has never revealed their heaviest hitters last.

I feel like a parrot saying this over and over.

From a marketing perspective, saving your most marketable inclusion in a new game for a mere month before release is a terrible idea. So that's probably a major reason for it. You want to have your most exciting things out there already so you can continue to harp on those in your advertisements. But also, they're pushing the "order included" thing hard, and the order of their announcements follows the characters' corresponding numbers exactly. So either they determined the announcement order and retroactively applied the numbers, or they were intent on announcing characters in the exact order that they were added to the game.
Are you implying Piranha Plant isn't a heavy-hitter?
I jest...

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I can't even have the happiness of seeing Y. Link turn into Fierce Deity. Just another sword slash final smash. After all these disappointments, the only thing I'm looking forward to is the cutscenes for World of Light, and thankfully, I won't need to buy the game for that. The DLC characters will never trump Shadow or Skull Kid for me, but I at the least want Tails in since Sonic deserves a second rep. Though I personally don't care for tails.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I realized one thing about this 'new Story Mode' cutscene. In the starting cutscene, that one on how it all began, at a certain point Zelda says, 'The moment has come to find the truth!'

Umm, what truth are we talking about?

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
The wackiest awesomest coolest ninja you'll ever know in the gaming world. My avatar :)
the male wii fit trainer has one of his ultimate model im pretty sure. the others have older renders so that might be in geno's favor
Hmm, could be. You know Sakurai, he likes to troll. Here's a thought too. They said 5 DLCs, and each DLC comes with A STAGE. You know what that means? An original character. One that needs his own stage and won't use an existing one. So for example, it's definitely not a Pokemon, a Mario World or a Fire Emblem character :)

D

Deleted member

80% sure there are going to be more than 5 dlc characters. It’s likely going to be a seasonal thing.
ALSO IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN KEN BEATING UP INCINEROAR NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
They didn't show off the Stage Builder until the 50 fact extravaganza either.
Well yes but this is the confirmed final Smash direct. Unless you mean we only get to see it on the game itself? But I really doubt that is the case

paper roxy

Smash Ace
The wackiest awesomest coolest ninja you'll ever know in the gaming world. My avatar :)
Hmm, could be. You know Sakurai, he likes to troll. Here's a thought too. They said 5 DLCs, and each DLC comes with A STAGE. You know what that means? An original character. One that needs his own stage and won't use an existing one. So for example, it's definitely not a Pokemon, a Mario World or a Fire Emblem character :)
the forest maze from mario rpg and the large amount of mario rpg music not in smash would beg to differ lol

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I am 100%, incredibly excited for playable piranha plant. I think it's a way more interesting "retro/crazy pick" than someone like mach rider would have been.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
To recap, now that we can fully get behind some of Vergeben's sources, what is everything he's talked about until now?

A DLC Square rep.
Minecraft content (Which would mean a Minecraft character based on how the sets are).
Another DLC character he's gotten conflicting info on.

There's no Minecraft content in the base game so far, so it's DLC for sure in any case.

Emily Rogers who's been consistent with this game said people would be 'very happy' with the roster. I assume, based on how she handled the Grinch leak, that she hasn't seen the banner and only knows characters who passed the planning stage. She had claimed that the Grinch leak:

Had ATs (Shadow/Isaac).
Characters who shouldn't be there (Mach/Chorus/*Banjo/*Geno).
And was missing "Multiple characters".

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't describe Incineroar and Plant as 'Multiple'. Which means she's seen the DLC, and they were possibly done during the planning phase (Maybe to handle rights before making the characters)

Adding up between the two and *assuming Banjo and Geno may fall under characters Emily didn't want to mention:

Maybe...
1. Sora/Geno/FF/DQ character.
2. Steve/Banjo with Minecraft stage and Minecraft music.
3. A Nintendo character.
4. A Nintendo character.
5. Some wild pick that initially makes no sense.

I've no idea what to expect outside of the Microsoft and Square stuff.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I really hope World of Light has at least some cutscenes, that would be awesome.
That cinematic scene we saw at the end of the Direct (where all of the Smashers except Kirby got wrecked by homing lasers) is probably going to be the cutscene that plays at the start of a new World of Light file, so I believe there will be cutscenes, and we’ve already seen one of them.
I just realized that DLC is going to be so savage this time.

We had no idea how many character we could get for Smash 4, and people were thinking we'd get like 10-15.

And people were thinking there'd be at least 12 DLC characters this time.

But no. There's 5 DLC characters. And that might be it.

This is like the fiercest competition in Smash speculation ngl.
Those 5 DLC characters are in all likelihood only the beginning. Piranha Plant was a total WTF choice (and I fear that it's BTFO'd Geno for the time being), but I have no doubt that Ultimate itself and this initial wave of DLC will sell well enough for Nintendo to comfortably greenlight several more Fighter Passes, especially given that Nintendo plans to have the Switch's lifespan last for at least somewhere from 7 to 10 years.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
You know, while this Direct wasnt the end all finale everyone wanted, I actually wasnt disappointed. And its not because I got what I wanted or anything (prior to this direct I couldn't care less about Ken, and was either/or on Incineroar), its just...well, personally, what more could I have wanted?

After Wolf, Snake, the Ice Climbers, King K. Rool, Castlevania, and even Ridley, this game had already won me over a dozen times over.

Isn't it better that the real big hype was gotten out of the way early enough? It spared us having to endure torture-inducing "will they/wont they make it in" speculation and forum-fighting over the biggest additions (K. Rool and Ridley)?

Which character on the confirmed, final base roster should have been saved for last, who could have had that big final impact?
King K. Rool or the Belmonts.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know, I just..........need........to process all of this.

Box theory, the HATED theory, ends up being true.

Blog/Music/Chairs all BTFO'd

Vergeben is so far right and could be more or less 100% by the time that DLC is done

Ken leak was 100% Legit

Grinch leak was most likely a hoax by MTP

A ****ING PIRANHA PLANT?!

PIRANHA PLANT WAS LEAKED IN SEPTEMBER AND NO ONE BELIEVED IT?!?!!??!?!??!!!!!!!!!

Ya know............ I don't think I'll ever forget today. I got mah boi. Rejoice, Noipoi Noipoi , lightdrago lightdrago , @GoldenYuiitusin , we ****ing won.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The fact that every DLC character comes with a stage intrigues me. Environment art takes a larger team a longer amount of time than characters do. So my current theory based on nothing is that we may see the DLC characters released in order of how much time it takes to make the stage. It wouldn't surprise me, then, if the first announced DLC character has a stage that reuses assets from their base game, like the Odyssey and BOTW stages do.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I still can't get over Pirhana Plant. Just... why? Out of the literal dozens upon dozens of options of characters why this? Even a Koopa would have worked better.
Can a random Koopa Troopa extend his neck halfway across the stage? No? Yeah, I thought not.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Some things to keep in mind:
-Don't take things personal, Sakurai and his team aren't trying to insult or mock any fans, they want to make everyone happy but compromises always have to be made.
-It's entirely valid to feel upset and pat fellow supporters in the back, but acting entitled and immature is simply uncalled for.
-Assist Trophies aren't some kind of pity consolation prize, they're a perfectly legit way to represent characters and franchises that for one reason or another couldn't be playable.
-There's tons of people whose supported characters don't make it in as playable every time a new game comes out, it'll be fine. Who knows, maybe there could be another ballot in the future.
-Piranha Plant didn't take anyone's spot, if they saw moveset potential or just wanted to have some fun, the developers don't really owe anyone an apology or explanation for who they choose.
-See the value in the things already there rather than getting hung up in what could've been.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom