• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
A lot of people here probably knew me as a super banner leak supporter. Can't say I'm shocked it wasn't real though and I'm super content with the roster anyway.

However, one important thing: I've realized truly how hard it must have been to even remotely get as many characters as we did. Honestly it's brought me back down to earth and I feel super pumped for this game regardless. So kudos to you Master Sakurai, even if it's not what everyone wanted, it's an insane huge game with a stupid amount of character plugged into it.

I'm also pleasantly surprised Piranha plant is character 70XDDD. And we get 5 more DLC characters and stages! (6 if you count good ol' Petey!)

Best thing is Banjo and Geno were not deconfirmed and it's looking like Sora may be our DLC 1 character (considering the same people who said Ken/Incineroar seem to be winking at VGA doing a DLC announcement and it possibly being him)

All in all, I'm ****ing happy regardless.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Congrats to all the Ken, Incineroar and (I can't believe I'm saying this) Piranha Plant supporters.

Edit: As it stands, 4 people whose usernames start with "p" have liked this post. I find that funny. :)

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly overall I find the direct to be a C-. Think Incineroar and Ken were good picks, and Piranha while stupid is a freebie that could be fun at least.
But spirits mode is bleh at best and spent entirely way too much time on the "omgerd power up" part no one will use or care about while axing the trophies which were awesome things to have the last three games. We lost trophies and essentially got Brawl stickers back.
Him spending time going over things like help, options, "please buy our cable for online and adapter", "hey look at these events that wont be near you where other people can play, but no demo", etc really dragged it down.
The last bit was super nice though and I hope that carries over into the actual game.

Im still getting the game day 1 and the pass when I can afford it but that whole thing was honestly kind of disappointing.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright, I'll admit it. Incineroar looks a little ugly with those semi-realistic fur textures. But you know what? I think he's supposed to be a little on the ugly side. Like, that's part of his charm in a way, the same way Riddles and Krool are kind of ugly. He's supposed to be a big mean old' dark-type after all. I'll get used to it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel like Spirits still very much have potential to be DLC fighters.

After all, Male Wii Fit had a Spirit.

So no sense in giving up yet~
But what if you wanted Isaac?

What then?

Seriously.. what was the Rathalos tease for?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Steam Sale looks great.

sakuraigetsoverit.jpg

At least Banjo and Mach Rider have a chance for DLC.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
This Direct was GREAT. I'm glad with some of the new content.
Shadow is not an echo fighter. THANK YOU SAKURAI. Thank you thank you thank you. That would have been a waste of a potentially unique newcomer that I could actually get behind. Here's another cool thing. Lip got a Mii Costume, when I figured she was basically forgotten by Sakurai completely at this point. And since Geno supporters say that's usually a good sign towards a character's potential inclusion... hmmmmmm... nah, that could never happen.
MARIO PAINT FLYSWATTER ASSIST TROPHY!!! That game was my childhood. I'm happy that was included.
I'm impressed that Incineroar managed to make it in despite eeevvvveeerrryything that happened last week. Guess I should have stuck with Vergeben even after the Grinch leak.
PIRAHNA PLANT IS A GOD TIER CHARACTER CHOICE I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. One of the most versatile Mario enemies thanks to all the different species and forms making for, based on what I've seen, a very unique and creative Smash fighter, one of the most iconic video-game enemies, which every casual will likely recognize, and NOBODY EXPECTED IT. I've spent years wondering, "gee, what if a Mario enemy were just included as a fighter? Nah that would be really stupid, they wouldn't be anything more than Smash Run enemies and Assist Trophies." This is something I loved and screamed about when it happened.
If I was gonna get BTFO by any newcomers, I'm glad it was Incineroar and PP.
The one and only thing I'm VEERRRY disappointed with is Spirits just being stickers from SSE. World of Light's cutscenes and overworld exploration look to be promising, but I doubt I'll have nearly as much fun with it as I had hoped.

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Do you remember the time People argued that Bandana Dee would never make it into Smash because he is just a generic enemy, like Goomba? Well, now we get an even less important, generic enemy as a fighter, and to be honest, Piranha Plant Looks like a blast. I am even more hyped About him, than About Incineroar and Ken combined.
Characterwise I am a bit dissapointed, I know I shouldn´t, Smash has already so many great Characters and I kinda expected it to happen that way, but Ken and Incineroar are probably the last Characters I wanted for Smash. (Ryu is probably the Character I like to Play the least and I don´t care at all About Ken and Incineroar is my least favourite Gen 7 Pokémon, a Gen that has so many Pokémon I like, Lycanroc (2nd fav of all time), Decidueye (fav grass Pkmn), Golisopod (fav bug Pkmn) etc. Also I am annoyed by fire. There are already so many fire moves in Smash, and now we got many more. Fire/Red is somehow in nearly every game the main Focus... sigh*.
Also Trophies gone, Spirits Looks mediocre at best and Online still seems to be meh.
Though the last Story Trailer was amazing. I really hope there are some cutscenes or voice acting ingame, but sadly I really doubt it. Probably will just have the Trailer we just saw at the start and Maybe one at the end, if even.
There are some smaller nice changes and Additions and I know the game will be a blast anyway, and let´s not Forget DLC (I really hope ATs and Spirits can be fighters too, otherwise we have Springman, Ribbongirl, Black Knight, Isaac, Shadow, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Krystal, Waluigi, Bomberman, Midna and and and already deconfirmed for DLC, and Maybe even Geno and Skull Kid)
Though they really should have kept smth from the 8.8. Direct for this Direct or switched some reveals.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I dunno guys, I’m pretty happy.

My guy Incineroar is in.
Piranha Plant is gonna be top tier.
World of Light looks amazing.
Geno could be dlc.

I’m satisfied.

shaggypatriot12

Smash Cadet
Everything in the direct was fine and cool (i absolutely loved the singing with the main theme at the end) but what I really do not understand and very very much disagree with is the changes to the online. I don’t think I will ever be able to understand why taking the players ability to play how they want away is a good idea.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Actually vergeben was wrong about there being Minecraft content and a Square Enix rep, but he still did get other things right. I'll just refer to him as the Gematsu of Smash Ultimate and call it a day.

The thing is? He doesn't. Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy. Just 3 Mario Gooks who would've made a lot more sense.

It also doesn't make sense to say ''I chose fan favorites" and then over look the numerous Mario fan favs left in Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Geno.

It's just kind of a slap in the fact of both the ''Mario Henchman Rep" and the face of the fan favs who deserved it before him.

I'm sure he'll be a fun unique newcomer, but it's just....

Man....what the **** was he thinking?
Sakurai already gave us plenty of fan favorite characters already, and there's still DLC on the way. Does Sakurai not have the right to add in some of the characters that he wants?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The thing is? He doesn't. Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy. Just 3 Mario Gooks who would've made a lot more sense.

It also doesn't make sense to say ''I chose fan favorites" and then over look the numerous Mario fan favs left in Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Geno.

It's just kind of a slap in the fact of both the ''Mario Henchman Rep" and the face of the fan favs who deserved it before him.

I'm sure he'll be a fun unique newcomer, but it's just....

Man....what the **** was he thinking?
Did Sakurai say, "I chose fan favorites"?

Did he say, "I explicitly chose to put in only the characters requested by the most vocal part of the community and nothing else"?

No?

Cool.

We on this forum are not the only people buying Smash Ultimate, everyone. Remember that. Also remember that there are people legitimately hyped to play as a ****ing pirhana plant because that's insane.

Ridley is in nothing else matters. E3 was the peak of Ultimate hype and nothing will ever top that. This direct was a little disappointing but spirits looks like it could be neat. Vocal track is pretty good too. Kirby confirmed SSS Tier.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I lowkey hope piranha plant is in so Sakurai can say "**** your hat goomba argument" and then reveal Dee as the first DLC.

Just to rub more salt in there.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So, now that most of the popular picks (Isaac, Skull Kid, Shadow, Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Geno?, etc.) are out of the way, the real question is:

Who the **** is going to be DLC?

Nintendo needs to pull out the heavy hitters to drum up hype and sales. I believe most of them will be third-parties based on the Smash Ballot, and maybe 2 or 3 Nintendo characters.
  • Sora
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Capcom Rep (?)
  • Nintendo character (but who would it be?)/Sega Rep (Joker, Yu Narukami, Tails, Arle Nadja)
I'm most confident on the top three making it in, and I could see Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, or Dante as our Capcom rep. From there, I have little idea.

Unfortunately, Joker isn't looking likely, but I never expected him anyways so it's okay but it still hurts

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ngl, not even mad. This was legitimately hilarious:

That being said, tfw blown totally the **** out:

Welp, I'm out bros.

I still thing Banjo's gonna be DLC tho...

And Geno too....

Hopefully we gt KOS-MOS as well.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
He also told us that he referred to the ballot when deciding newcomers this time. I'm willing to bet pretty strongly that Incineroar and Piranha Plant were not ballot characters
Nowhere did Sakurai say that every character would be inspired from the ballot. Yes, it might have worked for characters like K. Rool, but this stupid "only ballot characters" rule is something the fans coined up themselves.

If you inferred that only Geno and Banjo were realistic choices, that's on you, not Sakurai.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Smash Ken managed to do justice to his face more than SFV did and he looks hype af to play.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Does anyone think we will still get a DLC reveal at the Video Game Awards like Spawn Wave said?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Nah bro, I'm a man of my word i put it up so when youre not on to shill yourself i can shill for you! The picture though is only gonna stay for a week.. or unless someone call's for its REMOVAL with the song of the Stronk Serbian people.
Be sad for fan's of all star mode and collectable trophies with neat little profiles and histories on them they got it the worst this day. Well ok no the Waluigi fan's got it worst...
Those were disappointing losses. I love model ripping, and the trophies were always a fun thing to see.
Ultimate has the characters, but I think it is lacking something. Still, not much was given in the direct. It was still rather vague.

I like the ideas of Assists. But overall, I want it to be Thwomps, or characters that have not seen the light of day for eons. Not Arms dude. He is a new IP. he should be playable.

Still, I am going to remain hyped for the game.
I am slightly disappointed because even though I knew it was 72 (a gut feeling. Nothing more), I was hoping for the 73rd. The surprise Square character. For Geno.

Oh well.

As for the Deviant art account. It was from years ago. I would let it sit. :-)
I was a fan of Jolly jack at the time, and that stuff does not need to be on this bored.

Calane

Smash Ace
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, but my fight hasn't truly ended yet. No, my dream's last stand is at the Game Awards. If by some miracle Erdrick or some other DQ character is confirmed as a DLC character, then I'll be completely satisfied. I'm going to hold out hope until the very end.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Still might keep an eye on the banner

Ken matched perfectly

Maybe the 5 survivors are dlc
I noticed that too. That was really strange.

Also, Isaac got unusually big* fanfare for an Assist Trophy (just like Bomberman and Zero, to be honest), almost like they knew people wanted to see him.
*nowhere near as big as a playable character, obviously
I'm wondering if Geno, Banjo, Mach Rider and Chorus Kids are among the DLC characters they've picked, and Isaac and Shadow will be updated at a later point,
Yo, oh my god Toad and Waluigi BTFO'D by a ****ing PLANT!

I can't be mad at this. Isaac looks so damn good compared to Brawl it's not even funny.

AT LEAST HE'S HERE, SMASH FOR!
Even if we don't get Isaac as a character (whether now or later), at least modders have something great looking to work with, huh?

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Oh boy, looking forward to fan favorites like Goomba and Wii Fit Balance Board later next year!

/s

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
In addition to the Assist Trophies, all the Pokeball Pokemon have been uploaded.

Tapu Koko is the only new one they haven't shown off yet.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
My question is, the Ken art matches the one in the leak! What does that mean? It’s very strange. Either way, Ken looks great, INCINEROAR IS WAY BETTER THAN I WAS EXPECTING, and my friend made a joke about the plant being in and it happened. What a legend

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Also a question...I feel like we won’t get any more cut scenes for “world of light”
What do you guys think? Would be awesome if we did tho

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
The most dissapointing direct so far.

Terrible newcomers, good characters as assist, gimmicky gameplay modes and ****ty ranking for online.

Not even in my worst case scenario i imagined a direct being this bad to be honest and adding to the wound, isaac and shadow as AT.

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant deserved the 69th spot.

Because i absolutely hate it.

I won’t bother to accept it. The fact that we got that over Geno, Fawful or even Bandana Dee is just insulting.

Madden Player? He now feels to me as acceptable as Shantae, because at least he represents perfectly his own franchise.

Imagine that the only Mario character in Smash is the freaking plant. Good luck trying to represent the Mario franchise just with that.

I just hate it, even as free content. I hate the Piranha Plant as much as Josh Trank or Dan Slott.

To hell with it.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Honestly mad props to Burb Burb for sticking to his Box guns.

We both were wrong on Isaac though, surprise surprise.
This Direct was GREAT. I'm glad with some of the new content.
Shadow is not an echo fighter. THANK YOU SAKURAI. Thank you thank you thank you. That would have been a waste of a potentially unique newcomer that I could actually get behind. Here's another cool thing. Lip got a Mii Costume, when I figured she was basically forgotten by Sakurai completely at this point. And since Geno supporters say that's usually a good sign towards a character's potential inclusion... hmmmmmm... nah, that could never happen.
MARIO PAINT FLYSWATTER ASSIST TROPHY!!! That game was my childhood. I'm happy that was included.
I'm impressed that Incineroar managed to make it in despite eeevvvveeerrryything that happened last week. Guess I should have stuck with Vergeben even after the Grinch leak.
PIRAHNA PLANT IS A GOD TIER CHARACTER CHOICE I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. One of the most versatile Mario enemies thanks to all the different species and forms making for, based on what I've seen, a very unique and creative Smash fighter, one of the most iconic video-game enemies, which every casual will likely recognize, and NOBODY EXPECTED IT. I've spent years wondering, "gee, what if a Mario enemy were just included as a fighter? Nah that would be really stupid, they wouldn't be anything more than Smash Run enemies and Assist Trophies." This is something I loved and screamed about when it happened.
If I was gonna get BTFO by any newcomers, I'm glad it was Incineroar and PP.
The one and only thing I'm VEERRRY disappointed with is Spirits just being stickers from SSE. World of Light's cutscenes and overworld exploration look to be promising, but I doubt I'll have nearly as much fun with it as I had hoped.
DLC are from the ground up. All ATs, Spirits, and Mii Costumes are dead characters.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Dammit there is so much traffic here the site is super slow now. Now it will be nearly impossible to discuss the Grinch leak at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom