• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Of all the predictions the insiders made, I can't believe they were right...No, it's not about Vergeben now having a 100% track record.

I can't believe Emily was right... I can't believe the insiders were right... I can't believe everything...

There is no hope anymore...

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Well, that was fairly not exciting until the last 5 minutes. Out of all the theories and leaks to be right, Box Theory was by far the worst and least exciting, so pretty bummed that was true. However, I really liked what I saw about Adventure Mode and I love Piranha Plant being a character. Feel like Banjo and Geno are DLC locks. After them IDK because a lot of popular choices got de-confirmed

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I still don't understand why Gamexplain was so unwilling to even acknowledge the existence of the leak. Only thing that makes sense to me is that they knew from the beginning it was fake and didn't want to accidentally let something slip.

Durnt

Smash Cadet
Piranha Plant is hilarious.

Also, while I don't like the Kirby bias, I do like that they actually talk. Fox seemed to be taking charge too.
It's cause Sakurai knows to put Fox seemingly in charge cause of Melee and past Subspace junks plus Kirby cause he's Sakurai's little babeh boi.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That direct was... actually pretty bad.
It's only bad compared to what you were expecting it to be.
The thing is? He doesn't. Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy. Just 3 Mario Gooks who would've made a lot more sense.

It also doesn't make sense to say ''I chose fan favorites" and then over look the numerous Mario fan favs left in Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Geno.

It's just kind of a slap in the fact of both the ''Mario Henchman Rep" and the face of the fan favs who deserved it before him.

I'm sure he'll be a fun unique newcomer, but it's just....

Man....what the **** was he thinking?
Well, when a Sakurai and a Miyamoto get really drunk...
You just hate Piranha Plant because it’s beautiful.
This man speaks the truth.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Bandana Dee (if a piranha plant can make it, now I finally believe Dee has a chance, even though I dislike him)
Exactly my thoughts too.

If the DLC is nothing but characters I hate and don't want anyway, I guess that won't be so bad.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

Sad Goemon for those who are disappointed. I am probably going to take a break from the site for a while given the situation. Still, I am happy with what we got. And I love the plant.

peace out for now people.

Attachments

NineS

Smash Lord
i'm surprised there's actually voice acting in this
i love it

i saw geno in there as a spirits icon at some point, don't know if it hurts or helps his chances

confident banjo is probably one of the DLC characters being worked on. along with possibly characters we have mii outfits of.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Where my team fake bois at?

isaacschance.png

My condolences. Don't give up hope yet.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
And just like that I feel like a prophet come down from the mountains speaking of disaster only to be met with doubt and disbelief.

And anybody thinking I ain't about to main PP for that psychological damage is dead wrong

beans

Smash Lord
Man, Im disapointed now
Not even cause the Grinch is fake, just because theres no more model viewer.
Also, more item management bull. I dont want to have more power after eating food during the last full moon of the year, I just want to give Yoshi an actual recovery.
Also, remenber when people said Bandana Waddle Dee is just a hat goomba. Yeah that joke isnt even funny anymore.
TL;DR: Sakurai should've taken the band-aid off sooner.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm so excited for revisionist history when people say in about 3 months "Well actually Piranha Plant makes a lot of sense when you think about it"
Nah, **** that. I'd say you were a fool if you though it was likely or made sense I still think that.

Not that the character isn't hilarious. But I wouldn't have guessed in a million years.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Man I actually really liked the direct. I always believed in Box Theory so I had nothing to be disappointed in. I like gacha mechanics so I'm also 100% good with Spirits. Well, I wasn't really THAT into it until they showed World of Light. It's soooo good. Pirahna Plant I couldn't process yet lmao, I'm glad it's free. This is already an INCREDIBLE Smash Brothers game and it would make no sense for it to be undone by the final direct. I'm just as hyped as I was back then, the sheer amount of stuff in this game is no joke.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
The few upsides from the direct in my eyes were, ken isn't an echo and looks more fun than ryu imo, incineroar is also unique and looks ****in' sick as hell, the new adventure looks pretty good. Im still pretty sad that spirits is glorified gacha but what can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also i could probably be down for piranha plant eventually

also the dlc pack is cool i suppose, better deal than last time

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Condolences to anyone who supported characters who were victims of the mass slaughtering we just witnessed. I'm personally not affected one bit, but I can understand people who are sad.

Piranha Plant has me absolutely lost for words, I know we said this back with WFT and some did with Cloud, but they're never topping this as far as surprise factor goes, I mean I love it, but what the ****?

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I like how Sakurai didn’t explicitly call Spirits an adventure mode until the very end
Also SHANTAE FOR DLC BAYBEE SHE’S COMING I KNOW IT

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Pour one out for our fallen hero.

So sora is basically confirmed then

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Is this a joke? I'm seriously thinking on not buying the game. To me this is the final confirmation that Sakurai shouldn't have directed the game, sorry for his fans. He should just have made another game and stop complaining about how much work he does. I don't want to sound overly aggresive, but I just have to leave my opinion somewhere, and this is so dissapointing...

But eh, if you buy the game the first day you'll be able to play ****ing Piranha Plant that no one asked for!!!!1!1 (and anyways **** all the people that can't afford buying the game on release right? I guess they'll sell it as DLC afterwards and they just didn't wanna say "we have already this DLC character that is not going to be into the main game for reasons"... ugh).

Seriously, as hyped as I was for the game, I'm not buying an improved smash 4 for the switch, it's not worth my wallet, specially with the not cheap DLC. Smash 4 was already abusive on this, now it looks the same. Also the direct was boring, you don't need to waste 40 minutes for all this crap. Ok I could go on but I'll stop here, this is not even worth my time anymore. I'm out, see you guys, I don't think I'll post more.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I sure got mixed feelings about this. Am I the only one that thought the AT part was more interesting than the Spirits one? I'm glad that they did something with Akira, at least. Plus the hand and flies were nice to see. :p Didn't expect to see Vince, either. And lo, turns out the Black Knight does get to fight.

Also, congrats to all those who predicted how (most) of the character trailer would go. Seeing what happened, this is why it's best to have more than one character want to bet on, so at least I'll be having fun with Incineroar. Sure am glad DLC being announced early was proven right, but five characters only is unexpected, I will say. This console cycle's gonna be a pretty long one (unless they pull a Super Mario Galaxy 2 later down the line, but I doubt it since Sakurai's gonna want to hibernate after all this).

But the kicker, Piranha Plant as the first DLC, what in the Nine Levels of Hell. I expected Sakurai to reveal the WTF as the last character of the base roster, not the first DLC! A regular enemy, too? Though at least he's an amalgam of various types. So, to all those who wanted Petey Piranha, enjoy?

The final boss of Adventure Mode is interesting enough though. Is this the Master's new final form? To think I half-joked about fighting YHWH yesterday...

And we still don't know what Peach's FS is. hope Zinith Zinith is happy, though.

Vergeben was 100% on the money. Well.

Let this be a lesson to people throwing **** like "virginbin" around. Karma is a *****.
I regret everything. Vergeben is the real Grinch, his e-peen grew three sizes this day.

However, here's something to consider:

The guys who relayed the info to him are going to take the fall, and possibly end up losing their jobs for leaking the last two characters. Good lord, I wouldn't want to be in their shows right now. V got the devil's luck this time, the only thing he lost out of this is his patience.

Last edited:

larlargaming

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LarlarGaming
3DS FC
2578-3594-9063
i was a firm believer in the grinch leak, the moment i saw incineroar’s eyes, i knew

hey, i know A LOT OF PEOPLE are salty, mad, etc, for me, i kinda am, but we should realize that this game has a lot already. its crazy, we should still be THANKFUL for even having this game in our hands in a month.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Is this Girl Inkling, or Porky from MOTHER? Cause I don't remember Inkling being so tall compared to everyone else
porkyorinkling.PNG
I don't know if you guys have ever seen the clay figures of Porky, but his hair looks really similar, and I kinda think I can make out his smile in the glow of the red eyes. He'd be about that height, too.

Andrés1996

Smash Rookie
I even didnt believe un thriller Grinch thing, but ir was pretty disapointment

And nota, not cause Ken and Incineroar, they look good

Spirits is the stupid modelo and Adventure modelo is only Smash Tour 2: Electric Boogalo

Wat a ****ty direct, man

D

Deleted member

Look, to those wanting Geno and depressed, I am sorry (a little bit), but let's look at the facts. Smash Bros is for everyone; nobody knows who the **** Geno is. Half the people who DO know about him, only know about him due to reading the boards. He was in ONE game 20 years ago (along with one cameo) as a party member you didn't even need on your team and had NO bearing on the story. The Piranha plant has been in EVERY Mario game, has been a driver in Mario Kart, a playable character in Mario Tennis, and is extremely recognizable. He's out of left field like Geno would have been, yes, but he is recognizable to the audience at large; Geno wasn't.

The fact that Sakurai had stated that he wanted him at one point, to me, means that he must've tried, or offered it up as a suggestion, and they shot it down, not liking his moveset or his appeal. I'm sure Sakurai doesnt have 100% control of who's in and who isn't; it's probably a round-table discussion.

As for Incineroar, he probably ended up in just like Greninja. The game was brand new at the time the roster was decided, so he probably just saw concept art (it might actually be how we saw early concept art to begin with) and saw not only how cool looking Incineroar was, but how his concept art was the only one that featured Ash; meaning he would be more exposed.

For me, I was happy with King K Rool. With Greninja and even the awesomeness that is the Plant, I am beyond satisfied. Gonna hope for Skull Kid as one of the DLC and Im curious as to whot he Square character is, because Verge was pretty confident about one.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Very few games that have 'season passes' actually have more than one 'season' of DLC.
tbf multiple fighting games are latching onto the idea of doing multiple seasons now
Street Fighter V does it
MKX did it
BBTAG's doing it
Tekken is doing it
Dragon Ball is very likely to do it.

And if we go outside of fighting games then there's also Rainbow Six Siege

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody done a 1 to 1 check on the Ken art on Grinch vs. Ken art on smash page? Looks similar to me, but not necessarily same. I want answers about grinch leak.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Very cool of Nintendo to honour John "TotalBiscuit" Bain in the direct. They didn't have to spend 10 minutes talking about options, but I'm sure his family and fans appreciated it.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Box theory was true, Vergeben was right, Grinch leak was fake, but you know what?

FRICKING PIRANHA PLANT, MOTHER TRUCKERS!

No joke, this character is hilarious and amazing. It's not the Mario character I wanted *coughGenocough* but I'm pleased nonetheless.

OK Geno, let's hit one of those 5 DLC slots! Let's go boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom