• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Checking the website,

Shadow, Isaac, Ashley, Samurai Goroh, Takamaru, Black Knight, Prince of Sable, Dillon, Skull Kid are all in the AT section.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
shadow
isaac
ashley
waluigi
chibi robo
ray mkIII
black knight
spring man
ribbon girl
rex and pyra
Chibi robo
skull kid
shovel knight
(if spirits are to be counted as deconfirms)
shantae
geno

my condolences to every single one of you who didnt get your wanted in
bandana dee, elma, and everyone else who managed to survive, godspeed.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm pretty sure Piranha Plant is the joke character given literally everything about the character.

DOES THIS MEAN PICHU CAN BE TOP TIER?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well, that was a little bit heartbreaking... Box is true, 103 stages is true, in a way we got the worst case scenario.
I really hate this attitude. We have seventy four characters, not counting the DLC. We have over a hundred stages, again, not counting DLC.

But it's disappointing. It's heartbreaking.

I'm not one to call people greedy, but the people who think that the largest roster ever, every single fighter and almost every stage returning, while still adding more is sad? I'm sorry, but jeez, really?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Weeeeelp.

At least we have DLC to look forward too. Adventure mode looks neat too.

I saw Geno's spirit thing, but I still think he's got high DLC potential. Who knows.

Ken is great, Inceneroar looks neat, Piranha Plant looks... wat.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Spirits mode = bye lmfao

So hype for Piranha plant tbh. I love weird and quirky characters. If every game had their main fighter in, we would be stuck with Good looking, buff, sword wielders. I love his inclusion.......and to be fair, he is more iconic than isaac or geno will ever be. This game isnt JUST for die-hards, y'all know.

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
Just gonna note that male WFT trainer was a spirit and a playable character so it doesnt deconfirm anybody for DLC.

Also note that ISAAC a requested character that is from a franchise with no reps cant get in but

ROB a piece of trash can stay for about 4 games.

Mr game and watch WHO LITERALLY HASNT GOT NAMED OUTSIDDE OF SMASH CAN STAY IN.

DR MARIO A HATED CHARACTER AND IS TERRIBLE CAN STAY

AND A PLANT FROM A FRANCHISE WITH MORE REPS THEN EVERYTHING ELSE CAN GET IN AS A UNIQUE FIGHTER

I have a new main.

Also My picks for DLC is

1) Geno With that log that you fight that carterpillar dude on as a stage and his theme as a song

2) Skull kid Lost wood stage and any maora mask songs

3) Banjo and kazooie With spiral hills and there original music

4) Karate joe (Uses chorus kids like peach and can throw them) and the rythmn heaven music

5) Gen 8 pokemon [INSERT GEN 8 POKEMON PLACE] With [INSERRT GEN8 MUSIC]

Graizen

Smash Champion
And you know what!? The DLC will be this 5:

-Geno (Alot of requests)
-Banjo (Alot of requests)
-Crash (Alot of requests)
-Agumon (Digimon Survive on the Switch)
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 3)

Remember this.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
I understand the being upset, because it's lame that a generic enemy was picked over fan favorite characters, but I"ll be honest, Piranha Plant looks kinda fun actually, and is totally the kind of WTF character Sakurai likes to do, in hindsight.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Turns out we shouldn't have been thinking outside The Box after all!

Eh? Eh?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Piranha Plant was one of those characters I never knew how much I wanted them

God I freakin' love it's inclusion!

This actually puts that "goomba with a hat" argument against Bandana Dee in the trash can

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Alright. So that was one hell of a Direct.

So… Box Theory right out of the gate, eh? Good thing I was ready for it. Ken looks pretty spiffy for an Echo, and Incineroar looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Congrats Noipoi Noipoi !

Sure enough, we got a free bonus, but not with Online Subscription, and not Geno (the poor guy is a Spirit… I’m so sorry, Luigi The President Luigi The President ), but instead… Piranha Plant? PIRANHA PLANT?! I’m so confused. He looks like so much fun, but… what? Why? How? How is Waluigi not a fleshed-out enough character to be in Smash, but a Piranha Plant is? Excuse me? This at least throws any ‘Hat Goomba’ arguments out of the window, but… I just don’t get it.

In terms of Assists, I’m legitimately shocked Shadow is still stuck there. Like, actually. And the worst fears came true and Isaac was actually brought back just to suffer. Yowch. But all the remaining new assists look super cool, Fire Emblem actually has some more going for them now. And Shantae may not be an Assist, but hey, I’ll take a Spirit.

Spring Man is an Assist and Rex is a Mii Costume? At least they were implemented somehow, but I guess they can be struck pretty quickly from the DLC speculation.

Spirits had me really iffy at first, I don’t need Smash turning into a Gacha. It especially killed me when they said no more Trophies, but I guess I can collect Spirits instead. But World of Light fixed any qualms I had with Spirits, this **** looks intense as hell and I already love it.

100-Man Smash being back makes sense, and All-Star mode being converted into a Multi-Man Smash game makes a lot of sense at this point. Meanwhile, Home-Run Contest, Break the Targets, and Board the Platforms all remain in limbo until release, I guess.

Confirmation of at least 5 future DLC characters and 5 stages is exciting. And Sakurai meming about never taking a break is worth it in and of itself. I’m getting all of them regardless of who they are, so the option to pay $25.00 for all of them instead of $30.00 separately is much appreciated. Let the speculation commence.

Okay, the elephant in the room: that ‘leak.’ I’m amazed. Bewildered. As I said before, I apologize for placing so much faith in it. I should have taken vaanrose vaanrose ‘s debunk of the background more seriously, and should have been more willing to hear the insiders out (though I still believe that they were being total assholes about it… but whatever). Huge rip to papagenos papagenos , I’m sorry dawg but your source must have been playing you. Don’t worry too much about it, the community still has your back, we know you meant nothing malicious by it.

BUT STILL. How did whatever insane man who put this leak together do it? After only about a month in a half since the Isabelle trailer, HOW did he put together all of that work and create such a complex, legally charged narrative? Even if it’s fake, SOMEBODY is in massive ****ing trouble for this, and that’s what’s leaving me so confused over the whole thing. Why go in this deep? ‘For the lulz’ really just doesn’t feel applicable for something this… drastic. Whoever made this, if you’re out there, please, tell us your secrets.

Regardless, I’m still beyond pumped for this game, and still very, very confused about Piranha Plant. Very happy for Incineroar fans, very sorry to fans of the fake leak’s characters, especially Geno, Shadow, and Isaac fans, you guys got done dirty. Here’s hoping Banjo possibly pulls through for DLC.

What a wild goddamn ride this has been.

(****ing Piranha Plant? What?)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm so sorry for my behavior from earlier. I owe the insiders and vergeben an apology. It should have been obvious that the Grinch leak was too good to be true, and you know what? I'm STILL hyped for Ultimate! SEVENTY-SIX CHARACTERS, with more on the way for DLC! Ridley and King K. Rool. A new story mode with cutscenes! Lots of language options! A FREAKING PIRANHA PLANT. I MEAN, WHO EXPECTED THAT? In fact, I think he's a better choice for a Mario rep than Geno. Piranha Plant is incredibly iconic and still relevant. HE DESERVES to be playable more than an irrelevant side character that physically appeared in one old game over twenty years ago and wasn't in anything since. Incineroar honestly doesn't look as bad as I expected, and Ken was a no-brainer. I'm so ashamed of all the ungrateful fans who continue to bash Sakurai even after everything he has done. This is going to be the greatest game of all time! DECEMBER CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!
For once I agree with you.

It's the unpopular opinion, but ya'll got your hopes up and had them come crashing down.

Again, World of Light is ****ing hype. I can't say that enough times.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Does piranha plant count as DLC? I don’t think it counts towards the packs.
It looks like it's a Free DLC character for early purchasers but buyable later, separate from the 5 DLC packs.

There is a season pass so I’m expecting multiple seasons.
Very few games that have 'season passes' actually have more than one 'season' of DLC.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm so excited for revisionist history when people say in about 3 months "Well actually Piranha Plant makes a lot of sense when you think about it"
The thing is? He doesn't. Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy. Just 3 Mario Gooks who would've made a lot more sense.

It also doesn't make sense to say ''I chose fan favorites" and then over look the numerous Mario fan favs left in Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Geno.

It's just kind of a slap in the fact of both the ''Mario Henchman Rep" and the face of the fan favs who deserved it before him.

I'm sure he'll be a fun unique newcomer, but it's just....

Man....what the **** was he thinking?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Complaining about redundancy in a roster with both Pikachu and Pichu seems kind of dumb to me. Especially when boiled down to arbitrary things like fire type or super vague things like "brutal fighter" :/

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
Well gg everyone. I was wrong to be so sure of the leak. I gotta say i was never the biggest fan of Nintendo. I wanted to have hope that this leaked roster was real because it was leagues ahead of that bull**** we got today. It was wrong of me to think Nintendo wasn't going to disappoint and were going to go the distance this time. What a letdown

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I hope he understands how truly offensive piranha plant is as a choice for a playable character
And I hope YOU understand that it's your own fault for having unrealistic expectations when Sakurai told us not to expect much.

You preached to the thread about how undeniably real the Grinch leak was, completely ignoring the possibility that it was, just like many other instances, a well done fake by an avid Smash fan. Instead of coming in expecting the worst for this Direct, you invested all your hype into the inevitable reveal of Geno, Isaac, and Banjo. And now, since that clearly didn't come into fruition, you're choose to be insulted by a newcomer who, while not exactly the popular choice we would've preferred, is actually a very creative and unpredictable addition who opens the door to many future characters.

I was fully expecting this salt when the Direct was over, but geez, you people are ungrateful as heck. Didn't know Piranha Plant was all it took for people in this thread to say Ultimate is total trash and not even worth their time and money. Just appreciate the content you had before today.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My grade for the direct:

B+ altogether

UNTIL they revealed Piranha Plant
Then it became S++++ and nobody can change my mind
That was the curveball I needed

I'm a little sad Trophies became glorified stickers
But otherwise I did Event Match Spirits mode
I also am happy with the adventure mode existing, and that cutscene was beautiful pls no lyrics tho

A lot of hefty BIG OOF moments with assist trophies. My condolences to all affected.
However there were a few ATs I got super excited about. Guile, anyone?

Overall Final Smash Bros Direct grade:
B+ / S+

Will Immediately Get Fighter Pass

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Call Sakubias if you want, but having to save his 70+ friends and frenemies from some sort of evil eldritch force is such a "Kirby" thing to happen to him that it just fits. Seeing plumber man himself getting possessed and corrupted is also really chilling in its own way.

Should've called the new game mode Super Smash Brothers: Star Allies.
am sorry im j ******* annoyed cus theres no option to guarantee to play the preferences u want online
Oh yeah, there was so much to take in I forgot about that. RIP For Glory.

I personally don't mind an occasional free-for-all or item match, but it sucks that people who might not want that will have to get stuck with it every once in a while.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'M DYING. PIRANHA PLANT IS ACTUALLY THE BEST. I'm very happy that of all things, the joke character didn't leak. :laugh:

World of Light looks phenomenal, Box Theory prevailed, five DLC fighters confirmed, AND I got to see two of Chrom's taunts alongside a hilariously fitting Owain spirit.

10/10 would watch again.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
In terms of Mario representatives, the three I've seen the most demand for are Geno, Waluigi, and Captain Toad. I think that all of these three characters are great choices, (especially Geno,) but I'm pretty shocked that this Mario character has slipped largely under the radar.

Yep, Petey Piranha. You know, the Mario character that has appeared in over twenty games in the past sixteen years of being part of the franchise, including showing up as a boss back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? That Petey Piranha? Why does no one talk about him? I mean, prior to the announcement of Ridley, you could use the "too big" argument I suppose, but that argument has pretty much been thrown out the window by Ridley's inclusion, at least for someone like Petey, who is, at his largest, comparable to Ridley's canon size. Since he has served as a boss multiple times throughout both the main series and the RPGs, he easily has enough of a moveset to pull from, too. Petey can fly, create tornadoes, headbutt, shoot projectile goop, bite, attack with his leaves, etc. On top of all that, he's a total dork!

Personally, I think Petey's inclusion would be just about as good as Waluigi's, and way better than Captain Toad's, and for the life of me, I don't understand why people don't talk about him more.
Hehehe... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom