• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
And I hope YOU understand that it's your own fault for having unrealistic expectations when Sakurai told us not to expect much.
He also told us that he referred to the ballot when deciding newcomers this time. I'm willing to bet pretty strongly that Incineroar and Piranha Plant were not ballot characters

Just appreciate the content you had before today.
This is one of my favourite things that people do when other people inevitably wind up being upset with the characters chosen. This particular brand of you-should-be-thankful tone policing. It's especially popular on reddit--dozens of "PSA: The game is already perfect!" all repeating the same thing ad nauseum. I am not required to be happy with what I already have. This is a product that I'm going to be paying money for and it is not delivering on what I wanted it to do.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
It's only bad compared to what you were expecting it to be.
No, it was still pretty bad. Like, seriously.

The newcomers in this game should have been revealed in literal reverse order.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I am 1000% confident that Piranha Plant came as a sort of bet between developers.

'Man, I've been working on so many characters in Smash, I could make ANYTHING playable!'

'Try a Piranha Plant. I'll buy your drinks every weekend till the end of the year!'

'Dude.. hold my beer, I'll be done in a few weeks *burps*'

They can't be ****ing serious.
My theory is that it was a direct response to the Waluigi harassment after E3. They said they started work on it a few months ago, and that lines up pretty well with E3.

I could see Sakurai seeing everyone screaming at him like he committed murder by not putting in Waluigi, and he’s just like “actually you can go **** yourself I can include whoever I wan.”

D

Deleted member

Now that Piranha Plant is in I 100% guarantee you Zoe Trent will be the last DLC character in the Fighters Pass

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The thing is? He doesn't. Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy. Just 3 Mario Gooks who would've made a lot more sense.
I think Pirahna Plant was chosen because of his moveset capabilities.

Goomba has no moveset potential. He'd be hilarious but there's not a lot you can do with something like that.

Koopa Troopa or Shy Guy have abilities they could use, Koopa Troopa especially could take abilities from other koopa types (like throwing fireballs, hammers, or sprouting paratroopa wings for recovery), but moveset wise they'd make too much sense for a WTF joke character. They wouldn't be as funny as Pirahna Plant was.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I hated almost everything about this direct.

Except:
- Sick Kencineroar trailer.
- World of Light.
- DLC news.
- Guile Assist
- Fly swatter Assist.

Not sure how I feel about online. Guess i'll have to try ir out when it releases.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Yo, oh my god Toad and Waluigi BTFO'D by a ****ing PLANT!
Well.

...With that out of the way.

Isaac looked great, I'm so, so, so happy to see him again.

Complicated feelings about Isaac being an Assist Trophy aside, this Direct was amazing.

Piranha Plant is such a hilarious choice of character. :laugh:

There's an Adventure Mode, and it's not Spirits! This is amazing.

There's going to be so. much. to. do.
*hopes beyond hope for Assist Trophy upgrades as DLC*

Also, Sakurai's pause and "I wonder if I'll ever get a break?" when discussing DLC was... so funny, It's clear he loves what he does.
I can't be mad at this. Isaac looks so damn good compared to Brawl it's not even funny.

AT LEAST HE'S HERE, SMASH FOR!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Also Piranha Plant is trending on Twitter.

Either way, I want to play this damn game already. I got my ***** Mega Man back and He's here to Shoot Lemons. Gonna mess around with some of the usuals and the new guys too of course.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I read that Spirits included some playable characters (someone mentioned Kirby) so I don't think Geno is disconfirmed, especially because Spirits are essentially trophies, and Lucas and Mewtwo were trophies last game.

I'm hoping for Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Skull Kid, Chorus Kids, Gengar, and Goomba as DLC (we got a Piranha Plant so Goomba can get in now).

inb4 Minecraft Steve is also DLC if we are to believe Vergeben is 100% correct with his statements.

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
When it comes to new characters, I'm always like "oh, cool. i'll definitely play them". Piranha plant is the first character where I'm like, "HOLY COW I HAVE TO PLAY THEM 24/7!!!!!!!" he made the direct for me.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's cause Sakurai knows to put Fox seemingly in charge cause of Melee and past Subspace junks plus Kirby cause he's Sakurai's little babeh boi.
Doesn't make it fair. Though I hope Shulk and maybe some others made it out too.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So, been trying to read and post, but the website is extremely slow, so I don't know what the general reactions are except for the few messages I was able to see. Was going to categorize my reactions with hype, and other type moments but--I'd rather not be a downer and would rather look on the bright side. So, instead, some stray observations.

- Congrats Noipoi Noipoi for your boy!
- I was preparing myself for the Grinch leak being fake, but--oh boy. Could not have prepared myself for Box Theory being true. Definitely should have switched the August and November Directs for the best impact.
- Is that Yoshi's final smash? Finally? Congrats Zinith Zinith !
- So that's the secret mode. Aight. Also, I got even one more prediction wrong when I thought Spirits was a placeholder--apparently whoever blurred it was stupid after all.
- Sakurai blinking like that is absolutely amazing. Regardless of the quibbles and disappointment, this man works hard. He doesn't give us the game we deserve, but he gives us the game we need.
- The Adventure Mode (I think?) looks pretty interesting, I like that map style incorporating elements from the games.
- I guess we got ourselves a WTF character afterall. Piranha Plant. Um.
- Only 5 DLC characters, one of the Pirhana Plant--kind of the worst nail in the coffin, as one of the arguments for characters not in the base was hey, at least there's DLC. Yikes. And I'm guessing since I don't see Piranha Plant on the mural, DLC characters aren't added. Guess even when all of the DLC characters come, not everyone is here.
EDIT: Also forgot to add--saving Shadow, Isaac, and Skull Kid for the final Direct to be revealed as assist trophies. That's just plain awful. The most popular ones should have been revealed at E3, making it as painless as possible.

I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it--I was sold at E3 with everyone is here. But, that's also where it peaked for me personally. I'm not interested in most of the newcomers, and only vaguely interested in King K Rool. Hope they're all awesome when I get my hands on the game. And what's good is it's all finally known. That's what matters, and it's at least great to have that anxiety and uncertainty gone. Now, I'll be content to waiting until December. Not rushing--more content.

I'll be back on when the boards aren't so slow. Take care!

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Ok, 3 things:

1- The Direct kinda let me down, and not only because of the Grinch leak being fake. Spirits mode also seemed too complicated at first and looks like the kind of stuff I usually don't like about Smash. I'm pretty happy about Incineroar (he looks amazing) and the adventure mode.
2- We undoubtedly got our WTF character lmaoooo. He actually looks fun.
3- I'm not even mad the Grinch leak is fake, at this point I just wanna know HOW was it planned and made.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Don't worry about it.
I am sad that people did not get characters they wanted. I was at least hoping for a final one off to go on the back. I wanted to see Geno get something.
Nah bro, I'm a man of my word i put it up so when youre not on to shill yourself i can shill for you! The picture though is only gonna stay for a week.. or unless someone call's for its REMOVAL with the song of the Stronk Serbian people.
Be sad for fan's of all star mode and collectable trophies with neat little profiles and histories on them they got it the worst this day. Well ok no the Waluigi fan's got it worst...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
BUT STILL. How did whatever insane man who put this leak together do it? After only about a month in a half since the Isabelle trailer, HOW did he put together all of that work and create such a complex, legally charged narrative? Even if it’s fake, SOMEBODY is in massive ****ing trouble for this, and that’s what’s leaving me so confused over the whole thing. Why go in this deep? ‘For the lulz’ really just doesn’t feel applicable for something this… drastic. Whoever made this, if you’re out there, please, tell us your secrets.
Guys. I've been saying this since the thing first showed up. "I don't know how to do it" is not the same as difficulty. I could create that same banner in a convincing quality for a blurry Snapchat in an afternoon, and printing those materials at your local Kinkos costs like $10. It was a clever, creative way of making it "real", so props to the guy, but it's not hard for anyone with Photoshop experience and an eye for detail.

That's why I never bought into it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also Tiki as an Assist Trophy! I love Tiki, so it's great to see her in the game at all.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Sakurai loves WTF character.

So we started predicting them.

Literally, we pulled EVERY character possible.

So he went and thought real hard, and it came to him.

A Pirhana Plant. It's iconic. It's unique.

Yeah, let's do it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm glad to see a few of the users here being a good sport about Kencineroar and PP.

Still, it's frustrating to see the negative reactions from everyone. After years of support and campaigning, we finally got Ridley AND K. Rool. But of course, we can't remind ourselves of that. Instead, we have to put on a sour face and complain because a spiky plant isn't Geno or Isaac.

As someone who wanted Lycanroc, I get your disappointment, but whining isn't changing anything. Be glad for what you got, and get twice as loud with the support for your character. Shoot for those DLC spots.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Looks like I was right about Incineroar.

He DOES have a suplex as his back throw.

Although I won't main him, I'm pretty happy that he does. Suplexes are dope.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
damn.. im dissapointed, and is not even due to pirhanna plant,...

im seriously dissapointed by the story mode....a cutscenes and a glorified smash tour :/

The most dissapointing thing is that actually tons of resources are bing poured into this boring AF looking mode.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Pour one out for our fallen hero.

So sora is basically confirmed then

Ya'll need to calm down about Spirits deconfirming characters, K.Rool and WFT have one too they ain't Assist Trophies. Now Assist Trophy mother ****ers they dead lmao

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
THANK ARCEUS THE GRINCH LEAK WAS FAKE. Even though this is the first time I log into Smashboards in a week, since people fortunately told me about it and I didn't get "spoiled" (can't say this anymore since it's bogus now). Yep, my only source of news for the past week or so was MyNintendoNews (at least the wait didn't feel too painful since I was focused on exams up until a couple days ago).

So, on to the characters. Box theory was true... and to me, it really stings that Lycanroc isn't in but I'm pretty curious too see how Incineroar will turn out. Ken was a shoe-in to me, but I was satifsfied to see him in action. As for Piranha Plant... I laughed even harder than for :ultwiifittrainer:'s reveal back in the Sm4sh days. Sorry co-mains:ultwolf: and :ultkrool: but you'll have to wait on the sidelines. (jk)
But, honestly, with a 76 character roster that includes gaming icons such as :ultsonic:, :ultsnake:, :ultpacman:, :ultmegaman:, :ultsimon: and :ultcloud: introduced long-time fan favorites such as:ultridley: and:ultkrool:, and that has everything in between, I don't think anyone's allowed to be disappointed by that aspect of the game

No more stages wasn't too disappointing given the humongous number of them we already had. Online still has room for improvement... I mean, no servers? For Smash? This is the only thing I'm iffy about, especially given the fact that a LAN adapter was recommended: that the online's fluidity will fully depend on player X and player Y's internet connection, and won't run better than Sm4sh's...

But that Spirits mode... hoo boy. And that trailer at the end with Infinity War vibes on top of that... I'm still recovering.
And I'll finish by reminding that we should all appreciate that, even with the inhumane amount of work, care and passion Daddy Sakurai has already put into the game, he's already working on DLC. Poor guy seriously needs a break.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Still might keep an eye on the banner

Ken matched perfectly

Maybe the 5 survivors are dlc
*4 survivors. Isaac and Shadow are ATs now.
I will say, it's not ridiculous to suggest that (because the poses look so similar) Ken was originally placed in the Grinch spot on the banner and then moved after the leak just to be safe, but nonetheless two characters are down. Grinch leak is no more.

Darkbeard

Smash Apprentice
At least Ray MK III got a Mii outfit, even if it is DK Mode.

Hard to be disappointed with the roster as a whole, though. Don't let a few deconfirms derail what will still easily be the BEST Smash game to date.

Really hope BK is DLC!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
-blip-
"Hype level is reducing to reasonable parameters. Adjust to normal conversation word choice."
-blip-

Well, I thought it was great. But that sudden vocals on that main theme though...now Smash Bros gone anime.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I feel like Spirits still very much have potential to be DLC fighters.

After all, Male Wii Fit had a Spirit.

So no sense in giving up yet~

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Where my team fake bois at?

View attachment 174528

My condolences. Don't give up hope yet.
Don't do this </3 ...

Golden Sun really needed this you know.

Biggest plot twist ever would be that it's actually Matthew that's gonna be playable all the time. :rolleyes:

But no, it's a straight up deconfirmation...

At least Impa has a sort of fighting chance now that the Mii Swordfighter has a Yiga Clan costume...? But I kinda doubt they would make her fully unique.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
wtf you guys dont like the direct??? You dont like this product????????

How dare YOU not enjoy everything this product by our based brand company Nintendo™ has to offer

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
Just gonna note that male WFT trainer was a spirit and a playable character so it doesnt deconfirm anybody for DLC.

Also note that ISAAC a requested character that is from a franchise with no reps cant get in but

ROB a piece of trash can stay for about 4 games.

Mr game and watch WHO LITERALLY HASNT GOT NAMED OUTSIDDE OF SMASH CAN STAY IN.

DR MARIO A HATED CHARACTER AND IS TERRIBLE CAN STAY

AND A PLANT FROM A FRANCHISE WITH MORE REPS THEN EVERYTHING ELSE CAN GET IN AS A UNIQUE FIGHTER

I have a new main.

Also My picks for DLC is

1) Geno With that log that you fight that carterpillar dude on as a stage and his theme as a song

2) Skull kid Lost wood stage and any maora mask songs

3) Banjo and kazooie With spiral hills and there original music

4) Karate joe (Uses chorus kids like peach and can throw them) and the rythmn heaven music

5) Gen 8 pokemon [INSERT GEN 8 POKEMON PLACE] With [INSERRT GEN8 MUSIC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom