• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
The absolute madman. He put in a carnivorous shrub over so many fan favorites XD. I'm so glad I was on the side of team skeptic of everything. My condolences to the Grinch bois. That aside, as hilarious as PP is and want him to be top tier, don't be too mad at the guy. He definitely takes the WTF pick of the game so I'm expecting a bit more hype from the DLC, though again I'll keep expectations tame.

I will say the direct overall was mediocre and the marketing division should've swapped this and the 8.8 direct around, but otherwise still excited for the game.

D

Deleted member

Me, being right about Box and Verg being right with Grinch being fake:
adri.gif

We now can talk about what "confirmation bias" means and why you should look at evidence objectively. Also, to not act like Sakurai is a troll.

Anyways, Kencineroar trailer was as everyone predicted lol
Ken looks amazing and him being faster means I can finally play a SF character.
Incineroar looks really good and he's worth it all for that side B lmao
@GoldenYuiitusin
Enjoy your boy!

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Actually vergeben was wrong about there being Minecraft content and a Square Enix rep, but he still did get other things right. I'll just refer to him as the Gematsu of Smash Ultimate and call it a day.

Sakurai already gave us plenty of fan favorite characters already, and there's still DLC on the way. Does Sakurai not have the right to add in some of the characters that he wants?
Good point.

People, our first two DLCs might be hinted in the remnants of Vergeben´s leak.

D

Deleted member

So, this is a reminder.

If you want no cuts, you get less newcomers.

People did not seem to grasp such a concept.
I can accept less newcomers.

I won’t accept a freaking plant from the first level of a Mario game.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
That World of Light trailer tho
Sonic trying to save Pikachu
Palutena using the power of flight on Pit/Dark Pit and it deactivating when they get her, so they fall
All the characters using their abilities/etc.
And best of all good guy Shulk seeing everyone and turning to see if he can save them

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, Piranha Plant was the best fighter shown today, and arguably the best part of the direct.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
NewSmashBingo_end.png

BINGO!!!

Some may be left with a bad taste in their mouth, but remember, bringing everybody back meant less characters; Sakurai is a troll, but he's a man of his word. Besides, there's still five more characters en route through 2019, so we have to keep our spirits high, people. Keep them high; as high as you can possibly imagine!​

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, I'm signing off for now.

I genuinely enjoyed this Direct, but even if I didn't, I couldn't possibly be mad. After more than 10 years of begging and pleading, Sakurai finally added Ridley to Smash. That's something I'll never stop being thankful for, and no number of "Piranha Plant characters" will ever change that.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Yeah... I can't believe he teased everyone with that Rathalos tweet.... Only to crush their hopes and dreams at the last moment. Geezus.... I feel horrible for true Isaac fans... They made me want that character and appreciate how cool he could've and would've been.....

R.I.P.
Shadow....
Isaac...
Geno...(spirit)?
Skull Kid...(spirit)?
Shantae...(spirit)?
Spring Man
...and MANY....
MANY.....
MANY...
many.....more... :(

Maybe they should've spread the bad news out over the 3 Smash Directs a little better.... This final Direct was the biggest slap in the face to SO MANY characters with thousands of fans...simultaneously.... :*( sorry everyone who had their dreams SMASHed to pieces today.... I resonate with you and choose to feel that pain now like i did when I saw Bayonetta.....and no K. RoOl...

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
My disappointment lies with the singleplayer content. No Trophies, All-Star Mode changed to a regular Stadium-like mode, although those ending cutscenes look great. Aside from that, it was a good Direct. Kencineroar look fine, not characters I'd probably use a lot, but Piranha Plant is such an oddball choice. I love it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Does this mean Steve from Minecraft is in as a download?

Vergeben said there would be a stage. DLC comes as a package: stage, character, music

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Some of you guys need to grow up....seriously...i knew i should have stayed away from this thread but silly me...im out really. Im done with this fanbase.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My thoughts on DLC:

1) Sora is absolutely in. The insders were right on this stuff surprisingly. So I think Sora is a lock
2) Bandanna Dee, every argument against him was thrown out.
3)Geno? Maybe? If I get Sora I'd be happy.
4)Pneonix Wright? Monster Hunter?
5) Another first part Nintendo character? I don't even know who could be added at this point.

Also I'm shocked there's no Echos as DLC. Seemed like an easy cash grab

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
At this point I got nearly everything I wanted. Still, I'd like to pour one out for all the warriors we lost on this day. Isaac, Spring Man, Black Knight, Tiki, Dr. Wily, Guile and yes, even you Ow the Edge. May you join the likes of hype characters like Knuckles, Zero, Alucard and Shovel Knight. Stuck in Assist Trophy jail, but still remembered fondly.

Pour One Out for the Homeboys.gif

Here's to DLC. If there's another Ballot, I'm shilling for my dude Mega Man X.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Oh and this is great, Geno is a ****ing sticker and skull kid another AT in the smash bros page...

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, after being absent with all the meltdown regarding the Grinch fiasco, I think it's a good opportunity to say this:
Never doubt Vergeben. His word will always be filled with truth.
Oh, and also, we should trust boxes more often.

D

Deleted member

People are allowed to be dissapointed. You may not agree, but you can’t police peoples opinions.

KMDP

Smash Legend
who said the 5 dlc characters are non-echo??
Sakurai himself did, during the direct.
My question is, the Ken art matches the one in the leak! What does that mean? It’s very strange. Either way, Ken looks great, INCINEROAR IS WAY BETTER THAN I WAS EXPECTING, and my friend made a joke about the plant being in and it happened. What a legend
Obviously your friend is the deepest Insider.
All ATs, Spirits, and Mii Costumes are dead characters.
Never say never, Confirmation.

D

Deleted member

Hey all.

I'm currently typing down my thoughts.

It ain't pretty. I'll say that.

Don't expect everything to be Scott the Woz.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Is this a joke? I'm seriously thinking on not buying the game. To me this is the final confirmation that Sakurai shouldn't have directed the game, sorry for his fans. He should just have made another game and stop complaining about how much work he does. I don't want to sound overly aggresive, but I just have to leave my opinion somewhere, and this is so dissapointing...

But eh, if you buy the game the first day you'll be able to play ****ing Piranha Plant that no one asked for!!!!1!1 (and anyways **** all the people that can't afford buying the game on release right? I guess they'll sell it as DLC afterwards and they just didn't wanna say "we have already this DLC character that is not going to be into the main game for reasons"... ugh).

Seriously, as hyped as I was for the game, I'm not buying an improved smash 4 for the switch, it's not worth my wallet, specially with the not cheap DLC. Smash 4 was already abusive on this, now it looks the same. Also the direct was boring, you don't need to waste 40 minutes for all this crap. Ok I could go on but I'll stop here, this is not even worth my time anymore. I'm out, see you guys, I don't think I'll post more.
I get your frustrations, thd dlc is still a bit too expensive this time but I'll probably get it as long as there are no Bayonetta like characters that I hate.

If you're a hardcore fan of smash though I think you'll come around. At least piranha plant is really unique and you just have yo get the game before 2019

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
So many characters deconfirmed. These are some I didn’t see as spirits or assist trophies who I think could be the 5 for DLC:

Banjo and Kazooie
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Chorus Kids
Geno

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
That was actually kind of awful. Even if Grinch leak was fake, I was expecting at least one character to make me hype. I didn’t get that. Even before Grinch raised our hopes, I was expecting at least to get someone cool along with Ken and Incineroar, probably Geno but there are a lot of cantidates. But even after the Grinch leak, what we got was actually worse than what I was expecting at first.

> Skull Kid, Black Knight, Shadow, and ****ing Isaac as assist trophies (all not being revealed until the end, raising our hopes for no reason)
> Shadow could have been a fairly easy, crowd pleasing echo, but he’s still stuck as an assist (same with Black Knight to a lesser extent)
> Isaac has been requested for years but he got the shaft again
> Ken and ****ing Incineroar are the last trailer, when we probably would have all been happy if they just switched the placement of this trailer and K. Rool’s trailer
> Spirits is just Stickers again
> No trophies
> Global Smash Power ****ing returns
> Overpriced DLC once again
> Besides Spirits and Adventure Mode, I still feel like I don’t know much about single player stuff
> All of the highly requested, popular characters with great and diverse potential movesets and a long history of requests for Smash get curbed by a ****ing Pirhana Plant, whose inclusion makes literally no sense and I have absolutely no idea why Sakurai added it when it literally could have just been an item and we’d all be fine
> I have to deal with people saying “haha lol pirhana plant funni get rekt popular characters” when it’s an objectively bad choice

I mean the direct isn’t all bad I guess? Adventure Mode is the highlight and looks amazing, Ken looks like a very fun character and I very much may try maining him, and some of the assists (Spring Man, Guile, Yuri) are pretty good choices. But altogether, this was a ****ing train wreck. After how many people were disappointed in the Corrin/Bayo direct, I’m shocked Sakurai played his cards in this way and never thought people would be insanely dissapointed.

Let’s just hope the DLC characters are cool I guess

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Okay, the Grinch.

I'm not going to call anyone stupid or whatever (except the ones who harassed people), I'm not going to gloat that your characters got the shaft (so did mine), but I will say this;

This is the second time a leak that was "too elaborate to be fake" turned out to be fake. Please remember this and Rayman next time you see a particularly convincing leak. I'm not saying to never believe anything, but to just take them with a grain of salt.

Oh, and I NEVER want to hear about Photoshopped Little Mac again.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Well, good to know expected patterns were followed. We've known since the analysis of that box that Ken and Incineroar were the last two characters, and yep, they sure were. I don't want to just gloat for anyone disappointed, but it seems like it should be hard to be really disappointed because you have had all the evidence in front of you for a good while now and surely deep down everyone knew, right?

What we didn't know about was Piranha Plant. Wow, hilarious! I would have 100% said that character would never happen, and honestly, I still wonder what development in-joke caused it to be a thing. Honestly the moveset looked pretty good; it seemed to really be able to stretch very far while maintaining a really small hurtbox when not attacking, but who can really say? Like any other character, I'll play it if it's a a powerful character who fits my playstyle needs; nothing about that was disqualifying.

Really more important than silly character reveals themselves, we got a lot of information about how Incineroar and Simon play. Incineroar at first looked really bad to me; he seems all around sluggish, he seems to have a lot of moves that don't cover a lot of space, and his recovery is suspect at best. As I look a bit more, I see that the side-special looks really nasty; it seems very fast for what it is, and it looks really rewarding on hit as long as you just get the timing down which will probably be incredibly easy. I can totally see side-B basically being the world's craziest landing trap because it not only covers the moments as you land but has extra wiggle room to cover the window immediately after landing since it is a grab and will eat shields too. I also saw in the middle of the generally mediocre Treehouse gameplay what looked like a pretty rangy jab on Incineroar which could be an important tool, and while it was hard to tell because of Boxing Ring, that bthrow looked like a kill throw to me. I'm cautiously optimistic that Incineroar will have a meaningful gameplay niche.

Simon just looks so good. His mobility is looking average which is great for what he is, that range looks incredible, and I look at a move like that ftilt and wonder why it doesn't take like twice as long to come out. Those projectiles look like all around just better versions of the traditional Link projectiles too; this character is going to absolutely dominate space like perhaps no one else in the game, and with a normal grab, a nair that hits everywhere, one of the better looking dash attacks that also counters projecitles for reasons I don't understand, and a multi-functional dtilt he hopefully has enough tools to play around situations where just zoning them out forever isn't working out. I do worry about what looks like a Little Mac tier up special for recovery, but we saw fairly little evidence of how big that tether recovery was. If it can be used a lot like Ivysaur's, maybe we still have a poor recovery overall but good enough that you can avoid having to be like Brawl Olimar whose basically dominated while on stage but had to kinda rework a lot of his strats around how essential it was for him to avoid being off-stage.

Unfortunately our Simon match was mostly him getting wrecked by Wolf, but Wolf is a kind of new character too. He looks so much better than he was in Brawl; I see just bigger hit effects on most of his moveset (fsmash was really the only move that looked smaller, and usmash in particular looked almost literally twice as big), and he just seemed to move and attack faster than in Brawl. That laser also looked like a VERY good projectile; it seemed to still have the beefy hit effect from Brawl but to actually animate at a reasonable speed which means Wolf should beat most of the cast in the projectile battle pretty easily even without bringing out his reflector which is a big deal itself. Side-B still puts Wolf in helpless so that does rule out theories that only up-Bs have helpless now (though you only had to say the name "Meta Knight" to realize that probably wasn't true anyway), and I really didn't like the knockback on Wolf's jab3 at low damage at all as it seemed to be a lot less advantage than a typical jab3, but overall I saw what was a very encouraging sign that this time Wolf might be a real character instead of "bair: the character" like he was in Brawl.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
View attachment 174543
We now can talk about what "confirmation bias" means and why you should look at evidence objectively. Also, to not act like Sakurai is a troll.

@GoldenYuiitusin
Enjoy your boy!
Sakurai is a troll, though.
If you don’t think Spirits was an intentional slap in the face to Smash fans, you truly are blind.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just realized that Incineroar has realistic muscles on his arms. I'm not sure if that's terrifying or hilarious.

You know what? I'll say it's both. It's terrifying and hilarious. Jeez look at that face though.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Did Sakurai say, "I chose fan favorites"?

Did he say, "I explicitly chose to put in only the characters requested by the most vocal part of the community and nothing else"?

No?

Cool.

We on this forum are not the only people buying Smash Ultimate, everyone. Remember that. Also remember that there are people legitimately hyped to play as a ****ing pirhana plant because that's insane.
Honestly going by this is why Im thinking that Geno is not likely to happen for DLC, they have a dedicated following on message boards but it feels that a lot of people wouldn't know or care who he was outside of that, meaning he would lack the mass appeal needed to sell DLC. Im not saying it can't happen but I would honestly say to temper your expectations when it comes to Geno for DLC. Unless they are banking on the hardest of the hardcore only to get it characters with more mass appeal might be characters to look out for.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
This direct was an absolute shock. Not because I was overly invested in this leak, or insiders tidbits, but just generally.

Nintendo always has a somewhat bizarre way of marketing and announcing things. I think this is mainly due to a culture difference between NoJ and NoA. I'll never grasp why they revealed the characters they did, at the times they did. And it's very Nintendo of them to announce an initial DLC character that is literally someone no one asked for. Ever.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not salty about it, at all. I think it's actually fun, just ludicrously absurd.
I also don't understand the pacing in regards to Spirits' reveal in this direct. Why was it discussed like it was just a water-downed Events Mode, only to be fully shown off in all its glory at the end, for what it truly was?
I'm pretty hyped for it, honestly. It took the RPG and narrative thread from Subspace Emissary, and streamlined it in a much more digestible way.

I'm most sad about the lack of singleplayer mini-games. No Target Test, or Board the Platforms, Home Run Contest, or Coin Launcher. Also no trophies?? But I get that, 3D modeling every trophy for a 74 Character roster would've eaten a large chunk of development time and resources. Still though, I'm gonna miss collecting trophies.

Rip Target Test :(

As a whole though, I'm excited for the game, and can't wait to play Spirits, and also continue the speculation train of DLC contenders.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I think Pirahna Plant is different than the 5 DLCs, so I wouldn't worry about "only 4 dlc left!"
He definitely isn't included. He's not coming with a stage or music. It seems he was intended to be the final character but dev time had to push him as an early by exclusive DLC

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
If they are currently 103 stages, and 5 more DLC, that will come out to 108, which I believe a certain source said there would be.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 174543

@GoldenYuiitusin
Enjoy your boy!
Please don’t act so smug. It just kinda makes you look like an asshole,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom