• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
At this point one of the first season of DLC better be an assist trophy promotion to revive hoeps for shadow, spring man, and isaac. The season set up looks good, five characters five stages and music for the cost of less than the characters in Smash 4 were.. and it may be only the FIRST of multiple seasons if i had to guess.

I agree. There better be character promotions. Spring man should not be an AT. And I hope we get echos as DLC in some form. I mean, the concept feels underused given who we have.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Some of you guys need to grow up....seriously...i knew i should have stayed away from this thread but silly me...im out really. Im done with this fanbase.
That's what I said when Japan was hit with an earthquake and everyone started theorizing it was because of Isaac... I just wanted to tell them to go **** themselves. As far as I'm concerned if they had him 90% done then scrapped him, they were right to do so.

Untouch

Smash Master
With the "Minecraft" content and Square Enix content not shown, I'm still riding on the train that says that a Dragon Quest Builders stage was really the content and we're getting that revealed at the game awards.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If I'm being honest, the thing that surprised me most (other than the plant) is that Spring-Man is only an AT. Was sure he'd amount to more, even if as DLC.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I’m holding out hope for Banjo as DLC, but with all the deconfirmations I have no idea who the hell would be first party DLC. Waddle Dee I suppose. I don’t think Geno will be DLC, I really feel like it was base game or bust for him. I feel for all his supporters.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Can we just take a moment to reflect on how good Ken/ Incineroar trailer was and the fact that Ken looks gorgeous in Smash Ultimate. They really nailed his render unlike Capcom.......

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Piranha Plant.

Time and time again Sakurai makes a mockery of speculation, and as someone that retired long ago, it's beautiful.

Obviously would have preferred many other choices, but the symbology and the execution (come on, the moves are beautiful), I'm honestly considering playing this thing a lot.

That, and Incineroar. <3 Happy for you, Golden.

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'll admit it. Incineroar looks a little ugly with those semi-realistic fur textures. But you know what? I think he's supposed to be a little on the ugly side. Like, that's part of his charm in a way, the same way Riddles and Krool are kind of ugly. He's supposed to be a big mean old' dark-type after all. I'll get used to it.
Really? He looks great to me.

D

Deleted member

You want to know what the true crime of this announcement is? Suffering through Treehouse's awful gameplay skills.

Well, Box Theory has been confirmed. And judging from some of the reactions here, it looks like Incineroar= Next Corrin Annoucement.

Well, I'm not mad. I'm just glad this speculation period is finally over. All I have left to do is await the inevitable "I'm the word of God!" reactions form Vergeben, Emily Rogers, and some other folks.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Here's my take on this Direct:

GREAT CONTENT. BAD PRESENTATION.

When you come down to it, it showed off some amazing stuff. Story mode looks dope as ****, Spirits mode looks cool as well, DLC got confirmed, Online is enhanced A LOT, and some assists and ui changes are godlike. (ART ACADEMY AT, LIKE WTF) However, it was too stretched-out and badly organized. It almost feels like we have to dig in to find out about those good stuff they mentioned.

In short, I eventually got hyped about all the crazy things they presented here, but after I've finished processing those things.

A good direct is when you get hyped AS you watch it, not after it. And it that sense, this was a pretty bad direct.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
I known us Isaac fans have been disappointed before but this was absolutely soul crushing. It’s not even possible for him to be DLC

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Please. Shoryuken pose for Ken is ridiculously generic. Let's not give that leak any thought anymore. Isaac is not in. Shadow is not in. It's dead.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Totally expecting Sora now over Geno, since he was spotted as a spirit in the direct (who knows if that means anything though), and the fact that he's not being heavily rumored to be the first DLC character announced at VGA from pretty credible people

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Well, on the bright side of things, there is one good thing that came out of this:
No. ****ing. Steve.
THANK GOD.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Yeah... I can't believe he teased everyone with that Rathalos tweet.... Only to crush their hopes and dreams at the last moment. Geezus.... I feel horrible for true Isaac fans... They made me want that character and appreciate how cool he could've and would've been.....

R.I.P.
Shadow....
Isaac...
Geno...(spirit)?
Skull Kid...(spirit)?
Shantae...(spirit)?
Spring Man
...and MANY....
MANY.....
MANY...
many.....more... :(

Maybe they should've spread the bad news out over the 3 Smash Directs a little better.... This final Direct was the biggest slap in the face to SO MANY characters with thousands of fans...simultaneously.... :*( sorry everyone who had their dreams SMASHed to pieces today.... I resonate with you and choose to feel that pain now like i did when I saw Bayonetta.....and no K. RoOl...
The thing with the Rathalos tweet is that it's more than likely exactly what others had said it was, a reference to MH itself and not a GS hint or tease. Im sorry but GS fans did that to themselves. :/

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I agree. There better be character promotions. Spring man should not be an AT. And I hope we get echos as DLC in some form. I mean, the concept feels underused given who we have.
Well maybe there WILL be dlc echoes but they wont be part of the main season and will be part of updates as surprises? I mean i know i would rather pay the money for a whole new fighter rather than a clone but that's me.

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Now we can stop having heated arguments about who's in the game. Now we can have heated arguments about who's DLC, lol.

So it seems the box theory was technically correct, considering Piranha Plant won't be out until February. Dang. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed, not because the Grinch leak is fake, but because I expected anything but the box theory. I find it weird that Shadow and Isaac are Assists after all, I wonder why Sakurai would do that when he knows how popular the characters are. Since it seems certain characters are Spirits while still having a playable form, I guess that means characters like Geno aren't completely out of the question as DLC. If I had to guess the DLC line-up:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Fire Emblem Rep to promote Three Houses
  • Namco Rep, maybe Heihachi?
  • Square Rep, maybe Geno or Sora
  • Banjo & Kazooie (maybe released around the time that N64 Classic/Mini comes out, if that is a thing)
Some notes: The 5 stages that were leaked seemed to have been DLC-related. I guess that Undertale game really was hinting at nothing. Isn't Ken's art on the real banner the same as the fake one? Weird. Anyway, I guess Vergeben really is a reliable source for Smash info.

Overall, I'm fine. My most requested character is King K. Rool and I got him, and I like SF characters so I'm still happy to see Ken as a character and Guile as an Assist. 74 characters, 103 stages (300+ if you count all forms), World of Light/Adventure mode, Spirits mode, various Smash modes, etc. This game has a ton of content and I'm happy with what we got. I do think that Ken + Incineroar should have been announced first, and the August reveals last, but oh well.

D

Deleted member

Okay, I've had some time to think about it, and I honestly can say...

That Direct was pretty bad.

Countless of fan favorite's chances destroyed by incredibly confusing Mii costumes, ATs, and Spirits. I really feel for GS fans right now, seeing that AT hurt, and I'm not even a GS fan.

And Spirits itself looks...disappointing? I don't know how to feel about it. It somehow turned out to be even less than what I was thinking, and all I was expecting was 3DS Smash Run. All Spirits looks to be is Melee Events with customs, which is incredibly disheartening for something considered so big that it needed to be teased months ahead of its reveal. I know some people are happy with it, and that's cool, but for me personally, I just can't get excited for something that's just a slightly fancier Event mode. Boss fights being back is cool, but that's about the only part of the mode that genuinely excited me. Cutting trophies for Spirits is also incredibly dumb IMO. Instead of collecting cool models with neat trivia behind them, we get...JPEGS. Generic character render JPEGS. Awesome.

Box Theory being right is surprising, but understandable. Incineroar looks amazing and I take back very nasty thing I said about him, and as someone who has great distaste for Ken, seeing Incineroar beat him up was incredibly satisfying. And I don't care if people hate it, PIRANHA PLANT LOOKS SICK. Seriously, I absolutely adored that announcement, it was so perfect. That sucker is goin' on my list of mains for sure, as I've unironically wanted a playable Mario mook since Brawl. On top of all that I've already gotten from this game, I got another Smash Bros. childhood wish fulfilled. Octolings being dead makes me a little sad, but it's okay: Inklings are more than enough for me. I'm gonna keep Woomying on! :)

That season pass though...Ewwwwww. $25 and you're not even gonna show the first fighter in good faith? I ain't droppin' money on that biz until at least the first fighter is revealed.

Online looks worse. How is it worse? Why oh why do they think it's a good idea to make the matchmaking based on what's near you locally? Are they trying to kill this game's online before it even starts? Seriously, why. There were so many better solutions than that. That was literally one of the worst possible things you could do.

All in all...3/10 Direct for me. Incineroar and Piranha Plant are the only positives I can walk away from here. I feel like Nintendo screwed up royally with this game's marketing and front loaded way too much. 8.8 Direct's content should have just been saved for this, as that would have made for a much better showing before launch. This was just kind of sad. The game is going to be phenomenal, but dang, it feels like they saved all the worst things for last. Like, they got all the pros out of the way first before the cons.

I'm hoping Spirits is fun. I'm hoping this disappointment is temporary, and come launch I'll be pleasantly surprised and love it. But right now, I can safely say that today was a crummy day.

Last edited by a moderator:

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
The one statement I feel is most important to make right now is that "Assist Trophies can't be added as DLC" or "Spirits can't be added as DLC" is a totally ludicruous fanmade rule that has received absolutely no confirmation from Sakurai whatsoever. If you guys want someone for DLC, they can be added. The point of DLC is to change the game in ways that satisfy the fans.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Don't do this. Remember he was wrong about a ton of other games, and we still have to see the Minecraft content.
We've got a f*****g Season Pass with 5 characters included, you really think there won't be nothing with Minecraft there? Not to mention that there were people with info saying there was a Square character in the game, which, due to circumstances, has to be DLC.

Also, comments on other games are meaningless here. He hasn't been wrong anything regarding this game so far.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So Hyrule Warriors Impa will obviously be one of the 5 DLC characters right?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not cancelling my pre-order or not buying the game, but this is the most disappointed in Sakurai I've ever been. Not even really excited for DLC because they'll probably make up a ton of rules to shut down all the fan wants they deconfirmed through Spirits, Assist Trophies, and the likes.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
This was the worst Smash direct ever considered by a human being.
We lost our time seeing "Options", "Brightness and Contrast", "Help" ...
World of light is pretty. But it's only event matches with a pretty design behind.
They take everything they could from Smash4.
Global Smash Power is a joke. A concept do not implement a serious wi-fi matchmaking.

Everything aside, it's hard to be harsh on Sakurai since he is visually doing her best in this game.
Still a bad "final Direct". Piranha plant is HORRIBLE.
It's like "I will include a character no one has thought before"... Being creative doesn't mean rely on bad ideas.
There's a lot of Mario characters that could work better than Piranha Plant... Boo or Toad, or Birdo.
Should I stop asking for Dixie and start asking for Rambi ?
Should we stop asking for Skull Kid and start asking for a random Lizalfo ?
Should we stop asking for Fire Emblem characters and get "Lance Knight" instead ?
Completely absurd.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
"This game has over 70 fighters, over 100 stages, Inkling, Ridley and K.Rool after all these years of waiting, a proper adventure mode after it was cut from Smash 4, but a single Piranha Plant completely undoes all of that. -7.8/10, this game sucks, too much potted plants."

I'm not sure I'm following the logic some of you are using. Did R.O.B. make Brawl a bad game? Did Game&Watch make Melee one? It's okay to not be excited for him, but if Piranha Plant completely ruins the game for you need to chill out a little.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
People are allowed to be dissapointed. You may not agree, but you can’t police peoples opinions.
They are allowed to be disappointed. However, we're also allowed to call them entitled for complaining even after we got so many characters and fan-favorites already. I do feel bad for Isaac fans after all the teasing, but everyone else is being really childish.

D

Deleted member

I feel bad.

I liked a lot of stuff in the Direct, and i am glad that Mii costumes are still here...

But Piranha Plant is just awful. Some may like it... But i don’t.

There was people working on that... horror. Work that could have gone for anything else.

**** it.
I only despised that from the Direct, the rest was ok.

D

Deleted member

I feel this is the quote that suits this situation best:
On that day, when the sky fell away, our world came to an end...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To be honest, the only disappointment I had towards this Direct is that there are no more Trophies.

Also my wallet in regards to Amiibos & the many bets I lost over who lives/dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom