• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
"Hahaha! Nya! Nya! Nya!! Three against one, nat fair!!! Fix it I will, shoot a arrow I will and button it hits that button locked! Nya! Nya!"

Only true Geno fans remember this.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
First, I want to point out that the argument that insiders are being leakbaited doesnt make any sense. There is disagreements on what is the true picture behind the curtains that Nintendo set up. The conflicting information cannot be reconciled (which is different to Incineroar´s situation). It is imposible that Isaac is neither an assist trophy or a character if you believe that all insiders are wrong. You have to either side with the insiders that say that he is a character or with the side that say that he is an assist trophy because the premise that they are being all being leakbaited doesnt work (unless you think he isnt in the game at all). As an Isaac fan, I hope people make up their minds on where they stand and that the stand at the very least makes sense.

Second, about the Grinch leak, I just want to point out to the people that say "The Grinch leak was never proven wrong" that it works both ways. It was also never proved right either. We have nothing on either side that can be called flawless. I remain unmoved by either side. We are in a stalemate for a reason.

Third, I want to suggest people to try to keep spectations low and their hopes high. Since we dont really have the full picture, it is for the best to try to keep box theory (ugh...) level expectations since it is still a thing that can very well happen. At this point, we dont have anything that can be called rock solid so its for the best to try to keep low expectations if we dont want a repeat of the last general direct we had (the one with Isabelle). Lets hope that things turn out for the best and we get a great finale but be ready in case things dont turn out like you wanted. I am not trying to police you with this or tell you what to do. I know that not everyone is going to agree with this position and that each person can do whatever they want. Hopefully, at least one person will read this and maybe consider my post and take the suggestion.

Finally, this is probably going to be my last post before the direct, so I better make it count. I read this thread since it began and even though I just joined the discussion for the last hurdle, I must say that I had a lot of fun with this journey. I believe we have come a long way since this started. We had Vergeben, LoZ18, the intern-kun mini leak, the appearance of Ridley, the return of King K Rool, the surprise of Richter Belmont, the Agnes leak, the Isabelle direct wait, the earthquake theory, the Sassy Geno Leak, the music theory, the blog theory, the box theory, the Grinch leak and the Insiders debacle. For the people who get what they wanted, congratulations for getting the characters you wanted and for the people who didnt, you have my sincerest condolences. So, I want to thank everyone for the experience. Thank you all and good luck on the last direct!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Game time!

Which of these was your most hype reveal in Smash history
If you have a different moment, feel free to share it so we can reminise on our final night of pre-launch speculation.
Bowser Jr.'s reveal... yes, I'm kinda biased here.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Game time!

If you have a different moment, feel free to share it so we can reminise on our final night of pre-launch speculation.
Brawl I couldn't comprehend the significance.

I was giddy for Sonic

Shook my head at Cloud because I knew it was coming from the music and then said **** you in the disbelieving hype

Bayonetta I fell out of my chair because I thought that was a dream

Everyone is here- Marked out (Lowkey missed Ivysaur and :ultsnake:)

Ridely- Marked the **** out and laughed at years of memes

King K Rool- The first time I couldn't take it and wept

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Game time!

Probably the Ultimate Reveal...
I recorded it too, so I remember what I said almost word for word...
Honorable mention goes to Cloud...

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
Anyways, I am thinking of making an alphabet poster with a Nintendo theme since nintendo is currently in and Sumabura (Smash bros in Japanese) is extremely popular.

So like (M is Mario) type of deal. Or E is for Eevee. So not only Smash related but Nintendo related. No 3rd party characters. Items and locations are also good too. Anyone wanna try filling these out for me?
I threw one together but its pretty Mario and Pokemon saturated, haha.

Ashley
Bowser
Charizard
Daisy
Epona
Fox
Greninja
Hammer Bro.
Inkling
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Link
Mario Bros.
Ness
Orbulon
Peach
Queen Bee
Rosalina
Squirtle
Toad
Umbreon
Vivian
Wario
Xerneas?
Yoshi
Zelda

[Edit to actually put up the list cuz I'm dumb]

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
By the way, does anyone else feel like the chances of no Geno, Skull Kid or Isaac are almost negative? It would feel ridiculous to me if at least ONE of these guys didn't get in. It really doesn't feel like K Rool was the end of the "GameFAQS picks".
I'll be very honest, I wouldn't be surprised none of them are playable. Geno's 3rd party. SE determines his fate, Not Sakurai and to this day, I've never seen a good reason for SE to accept Geno in Smash.

Isaac, imo, is the most likely of the three to be playable, but he's hurt by the fact that GS is dormant as all hell.

Skull Kid Suffers from the Zelda curse. The only reason he's a popular pick now is because the other popular Zelda characters are out of the way. I'm not saying he's not a popular character, but this is the first time he's had a vocal fanbase for Smash and it came faaaaar to late to matter.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
So, someone posted the old leak thread for ESRB on Reddit. I never got to read it before now, but I gotta say, there are some insane similarities. And there are 180 guests reading it now.

Anyone have links to the older versions? From the comments, seems like the one linked on Reddit was the final one and was a new thread in a series. I'm hella curious.

Edit: Reddit post in question: https://np.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9t4w52/as_the_leaks_and_rumors_for_ultimate_are_coming/
I never knew that many fans want Mach Rider back then.

TeamFlareZakk

12 hours till the Golden Sun rises on the Dark Dawn of Rusev Day... Till then, Im tired and I bid you all adieu, so goodbye and goodnight! BANG!

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I know we are just about 12 hours until the Direct and we are mad with hype but I do have a favor to ask everyone.

As many of you know, I’m an English teacher in Japan and teach at elementary and junior high schools. I was given a massive room to transform into the schools official English room to conduct our classes in and the principal asked me to make some fun decorations. So I’ve been making tons of banners and stuff. Flags dropping along string across the room. Some carnival like games using English. Stuff like that. We have a huge demonstration lesson on the 27th I believe where over a hundred teachers will be coming to watch the class.

Anyways, I am thinking of making an alphabet poster with a Nintendo theme since nintendo is currently in and Sumabura (Smash bros in Japanese) is extremely popular.

So like (M is Mario) type of deal. Or E is for Eevee. So not only Smash related but Nintendo related. No 3rd party characters. Items and locations are also good too. Anyone wanna try filling these out for me?

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
Anti-Mario
Baby Mario
Cape Mario
Double Mario
Eevee
Fire Mario
Green Mario
Hammer Mario
Invincible Mario
Jumpman
Kukluxklan Mario (ok this one doesn't exist)
Luigi
Mario
New Super Mario Bros.
Oiram
Paper Mario
Qario
Raccoon Mario
Super Mario
Tanooki Mario
New Super Mario Bros U.
Vanish Mario
Wario
X-Naut Mario (ok that's actually X-Naut Peach but hey this is hard to found a Mario for each letter)
Yipeeee
Zuper Mario Bros. (ok I'm tired ^^)

:troll:

Last edited:

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
Game time!

The hype has been building and I have a feeling tomorrow may overtake all of these for me.

Right now I’d probably have to say K. Rool was the biggest. That whole direct was awesome and I was not expecting a character reveal at the end after everything else they gave us, plus it was the king himself.

I still think Melee had the best/hypest reveal trailer of all the smash games.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I know I'm extremely late with this, but as I saw this when I was browsing earlier this afternoon, I knew I had to get in on this before the direct tomorrow. So, here's my planned 10 most used characters for Smash Ultimate:

Ultimate Roster.jpg

Richter could be swapped for Simon, but I'm feeling less certain about that as time progresses.

Not necessarily in this order, but out of the currently confirmed characters, these are the ones I feel have the best potential for being among my top 10. I'll be curious to see if any of the newcomers present in the Final Smash direct will have me change my mind, but for now, this is pretty much where I land (give or take a few alternates).

Thanks to Warchamp7 Warchamp7 for this wonderful tool, I will definitely be making good use of it in the future. :)

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
"Never ask me for anything ever again."
"もう一度私から何も要求しないで"
"Ne me demandez plus jamais rien" (Corrected by @The Stoopid Unikorn and Bee Card Bee Card )
"Non chiedermi mai più niente mai"
"Nunca vuelvas a pedirme nada."
"Fordere nie wieder etwas von mir an"
As someone who speaks Japanese, how accurate is the Japanese line?
Just perfect for me, and I'm merely learning Japanese on my off time.

As a bonus, I think that Spanish translation is great too!

D

Deleted member

Going to bed. We got anything in the forum thats a direct link to the Direct or do I have to just hope I catch the one post linking it as the thread moves about 80 posts per minute tomorrow?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Game time!

Everyone is here! hands down. Had me acting like Etika for a moment. Like, as the trailer progressed and those "sure cuts"/"never coming back" characters started to appear my reactions got bigger and louder. By the time Lucas was on screen I was screaming and ****. I lost my mind when Snake appeared. Good times.

I wish I could say Shulk's reveal, but I woke up after it had happened and all I said to myself was "well, of course, the leak was real, I knew that since Shulk had his canon jump in the videos." Robin/Lucina was fun, too, I was working and my friend hit me with a text message telling me both Lucina and Robin were in, I told him to go **** himself for being a liar and getting me hyped for nothing. I almost screamed in the middle of a fast food restaurant when I saw it was true.

Sadly, I was too young to see Melee's reveal and had no internet access when Brawl was revealed so I missed those two.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Anti-Mario
Baby Mario
Cape Mario
Double Mario
Eevee
Fire Mario
Green Mario
Hammer Mario
Invincible Mario
Jumpman
Kukluxklan Mario (ok this one doesn't exist)
Luigi
Mario
Nario (doesn't exist too)
Oiram
Paper Mario
Qario
Raccoon Mario
Super Mario
Tanooki Mario
Super Mario Bros U.
Vanish Mario
Wario
X-Naut Mario (ok that's actually X-Naut Peach but hey this is hard to found a Mario for each letter)
Yipeeee
Zuper Mario Bros. (ok I'm tired ^^)

:troll:
7Grandad

D

Deleted member

I just wanna take this moment and set up the situation come 12 hours.

We've had a character that's been wanted since Brawl. That's 10 years ago.
It may not look massive, but you can't deny he has consistent support throughout these 10 years. You could say the same for characters like Isaac, too.
Out of all the fighter ballot choices, no doubt this character has been in the top 15 or so characters.
He even got a Mii Costume, which a lot of characters like Chrom and K. Rool had, and look what happened? They became fighters.
But yet... He was different. Much like how he was a supporting character in a solo video game, he's different to us.

He had a splash screen.

Now with Ultimate and rumors running rampant about an "unknown second rep" from a certain 3rd party... The time is now or never. Either he makes it in the base roster, or he will forever fade into limbo. Get ready to see another dream come true, guys, because there's one thing that will happen no matter what.

We. Are. Getting. Geno.

Screenshot (1061).png

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Game time!

I can't decide between Mewtwo is on the way, Everyone is here and the Melee reveal

I didn't get Melee until a few years after its reveal (I was 7 in '01 lel), but I think if we get something similar to that tomorrow, that will be an easy #1.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Going to bed. We got anything in the forum thats a direct link to the Direct or do I have to just hope I catch the one post linking it as the thread moves about 80 posts per minute tomorrow?
Step 1: google.com

Step 2: search “smash ultimate direct 11/1”

Step 3: enjoy

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Game time!

Honestly I'm going to have to say that the Ultimate August Direct was the most hype. I've been waiting for K. Rool forever, and I got Simon, Richter, Chrom and Dark Samus as bonus reveals. Not to mention the 100+ stage reveal alongside the fact that hazards can be turned off and every stage has a Battlefield and Final Destination version. Like what.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
There was Kid Icarus talk earlier and I didn't know? Some can tell I'm most definitely focused on a specific something. But then again, not much we can do now but wait the few hours left til the Direct.

Bee Card

Smash Ace

It may not look massive, but you can't deny he has consistent support throughout these 10 years. You could say the same for characters like Isaac, too.
Out of all the fighter ballot choices, no doubt this character has been in the top 15 or so characters.
He even got a Mii Costume, which a lot of characters like Chrom and K. Rool had, and look what happened? They became fighters.
But yet... He was different. Much like how he was a supporting character in a solo video game, he's different to us.

He had a splash screen.

Now with Ultimate and rumors running rampant about an "unknown second rep" from a certain 3rd party... The time is now or never. Either he makes it in the base roster, or he will forever fade into limbo. Get ready to see another dream come true, guys, because there's one thing that will happen no matter what.

We. Are. Getting. Geno.

View attachment 174278
We are f*ukin getin Geeeeenoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just perfect for me, and I'm merely learning Japanese on my off time.

As a bonus, I think that Spanish translation is great too!
Ah, good. The Spanish translation is accurate. :laugh:

The secret to good Google Translate-fu is to use words that can't be mistranslated.
Example: I didn't actually use the word "ask", I used "request" instead, because "ask" has multiple meanings.​
*sigh* No Yoshi ATs or Bosses. Unfortunately that may be accurate...
I hope for at least Poochy as an Assist Trophy on your behalf.

Yoshi deserves that much.
Yo if by some miracle Andy makes it in this game, you all have my permission to mass tag me in to oblivion.

Like I want to see my alerts get in to the thousands lol.
...Hm...

I'll see if I can remember. :laugh:

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
They said the finale Smash Direct. Not It could be the finale reveal, yet.

Just saying.

TeamFlareZakk

Game time!

My most hyped reveals in Smash history

Melee: Nintendo Power revealed everything.. So probably that one where it showed the unlockables, Ganon and Mewtwo were my favs.
Brawl: the first reveal with Wario.. Other that that, saw everything in Nintendo Power.. Thought the idea of Trainer was cool.
Smash 4 favs: Palutena, Lucina and Bowser Jr.. Oh and Mewtwo's return as well after seeing that awful Greninja reveal.

For Smash Ultimate so far my favorite is indeed Everybody is Here and King K Rool.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

He had a splash screen.

We. Are. Getting. Geno.

View attachment 174278
I want to believe, but I refuse

Potato_

Smash Lord

This, just make sure to do it before and bookmark it.

Or else you'll just get bombarded with spoilers on the google search.

He had a splash screen.

We. Are. Getting. Geno.

View attachment 174278
For what it's worth, I'm rooting for you Geno people.

His chances seem better than they ever were in the past.

Last edited:

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Need an update on Grinchy.

Still strong?
Still the same. Depends of how you look at it.

Pros: Still doesn't have concrete evidence against it, Eric's workplace still hasn't made a statement, etc.

Cons: Almost every insider says it's fake, the background of the banner has some changes, etc.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Tip: DON'T do this after the direct airs. I was working during the March Direct and googled it. First result was:

SMASH BROTHERS FOR NINTENDO SWITCH REVEALED! INKLING NEWCOMER! BREATH OF THE WILD LINK!

Ruined the entire thing.

Last edited:
Game time!

Brawl reveal. This part in particular:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

He had a splash screen.

We. Are. Getting. Geno.

View attachment 174278
Listen man it's getting real struggling to continuously find the tinfoil hat picture every time this happens. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom